What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Winnie-the-Pooh

Today , have been sick all day , a bit feverish , a bit tired , a bit dizzy , a bit sleepy . Just feeling odd . Came home earlier to rest .

Breakfast : 2 small sausages and one egg and black coffee

Lunch : one large sausage and small green salad . Found nothing better at work .

Dinner: will go out with friends if I can move . Not looking forward to food anymore. Diabetes was too much shock. Need a travel to recover . Wish I could get lost in Paris for a few days, but it’s a long way. Those living in U.K. are lucky .

Did a lot at work today. So was a productive day despite being sick.

Dexcom G6 says I had no spikes today so far . Will try to keep it that way .

You are all so strong <3

Edit: canceled dinner , feeling dizzy and sad , starting to think it perhaps it could be Metformin side effect, or just cold terrible weather ? Will eat chili if I get hungry. I have to order some sugar free chocolate truffles for sad times like this. Yum yum !

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Love the look of that chop. I've been drinking lots - for me - about 2 1/2 litres a day to try to stem the pangs of hunger. I have to be a bit careful about fluids after ending up in hospital dehydrated a few months ago so I drink a bit more than the recommended amount (2L). If I have vegetables, I don't get so thirsty and tend to forget but right now I am very thirsty.

I weighed my chicken leg - it came in at 297 grams - my macro says 119 grams - so I thought the bones might be making things worse - not much; they weighed 35 grams, so my chicken leg meat weighed 262 grams. More than twice the allowance. This is where I must be going wrong. A drumstick would have fitted the bill better. However, having just eaten it, I am still feeling very empty. Not sure how many calories that was. Added to my scrambled egg this afternoon, I am way over the limit (probably for both protein and calories). I just worked it out, using my little book of numbers and it comes to about 930 calories plus milk for my cups of tea, so say 1000. That should be OK, except that I am still hungry and might be tempted to pick at something. I could just have cocoa with some cream, I suppose.

Just a thought, in making that assessment of your chicken leg, did you take into account that the thigh and skin will also be making a contributions to the fat elements? I can't guide you on how much as I have been fortunate enough not to need to be quite so granular in my approach.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK today 16/01/2020
Didn't go for a walk before breakfast, it was raining and I have a sore on my foot from my compression garment rubing

Breakfast: 50g rolled oats, cooked in water and a dash of soy milky lite, 170g non fat greek yoghurt, 18g rasberries, 23g peanut butter.

Lunch: two white corn stone ground torillas, 40g reduced fat cheese, 48g dill pickles, 40g hummus, 100g sauerkraut. Before meal 4.4, two hours after 4.3.

Dinner: 266g zucchini, 78g onion, 2 servings of lentils (11.2g net carbs), 121g tomato. Curry powder hot sauce. No fat in this meal to act as buffer. Before meal 4.8 1.5 hours after meal 5.4.

Can someone please tell me what rises in blood sugar are acceptable to see, and should I be testing both one and two hours after meals.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb

i totally agree with @Goonergal
I think you are calculating your protein wrongly.

have a look at this link:
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/304401631
Scroll down to the nutritional information.
100g of chicken breast has 24g of protein. The rest is 1.1g fat and water.
So if you are meant to be eating 100g of protein, then you can eat 400g of chicken without going over your guide amount.

having said that, one of the things you will find over and over again when you read up on eating carnivore
- don’t count and number crunch
- just eat what you like from carnivore foods, to satiety
- you don’t even have to worry about carbs because there are virtually no carbs in animal products (you certainly wouldn’t need your ‘30g of carbs’.

of course, my choice to eat keto requires a bit of guesstimating, but the thought of counting stuff fills me with revulsion! I am never doing that again.

if your body is unhappy (burning gut, and concern about fat intake), then those are perfectly valid reasons to make different food choices :) you should listen to your body for this, not strangers on a forum! But if you are thinking of trying carnivore seriously, then have a read about it. Look at other people’s experiences, learn what to expect, and what other people consider the good, the bad, and weird. :)

Sorry for the derailment folks! Back on track now. :)

Today:
Bone broth and small lc hot choc
No lunch
Sausages and halloumi fries

still peckish - maybe yog :D

I was going by what my little book (Collins Carb Counter - also gives protein, calories, fat) says about chicken and its estimate is higher. I don't want to be counting everything, but I thought that doing so for a while would let me see what the food looks like on the plate so I could move on to just eating the right amount without counting. If I eat to satiety, it wouldn't be much at the time, but in short order I would be hungry again. I'm staying low carb, without a doubt, but I'll give carnivore a bit longer and see what effect it has on my insides. I might just be able to get used to it.

Today, I will have the 2nd chicken leg, cold but maybe strip it from the bone and put it in a frittata with some left over sausage and (possibly) some black pudding. I hope that will do for the day, but I do have some cheese to use up (rubbish cheddar that Neil got for me from the Co-op. OK for cooking but not for eating.) Can't allow myself to get too hungry while I am baking - too much of a temptation.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thursday 16th January

Bed time test yesterday: 6.9
FBG this morning: 6.9
B: Mozzarella chaffle cooked in a frying pan with s/f maple syrup
2 hours after breakfast: 6.9
L: 5.2 (!)
40g Dolce Gorgonzola
D: Yesterday's leftovers - roast butternut squash and celeriac coated in Indian spices then roasted. Probably with some soft goats cheese as it was far too spicy hot yesterday.

Drinks: Usual 2 x huge mugs of black decaff coffee with breakfast then water for the rest of the day. Only 22 more days until I can have a glass of red!

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
I've been MIA so haven't caught up with everyoned posts. but here are meals that I have eaten see how my memory is. I'm no longer
On prednisolone so I'm up and down with my appetite prednisolone helps inflammation and also helps with appetite and relieves nausea so not being on them now I've started to get my nausea and lack of appetite symptoms back I'd mentioned this to my GI but forgot to ask what i can do about it. At my appointment On Tuesday had an appointment with my gastroenterologist in the afternoon so got up early and made a hearty breakfast. But forgot to pack a few snacks with me also as I'm no longer on prednisolone silly me forgot and took the dimacron dose I've been taking whilst on prednisolone so by 2pm my BSL had been going up and down between 4.5 mmol/L and 5 mmol/L then dropped to 4 by 3ish and I was getting the shakes mmmm I needed to get something to eat but it was time for my appointment but luckily I told the IBD nurse so I can get quickly get something to eat. Sadly there really wasn't much to choose from at their coffee shop so had to settle for banana bread. I was annoyed they didn't even have yoghurt which would of been healthier choice but what can one do when you don't pack food supplies. Saw my GI and my gastroenterologist wants me to have another sigmoidoscopy in a few months see how things are going as I've increased my treatment again since my last flare so hopefully things start improving.

Tues morning BSL 4.9 mmol/L

Tuesday. Breakfast: at 8am Two beef and peppers sausages with scrambled eggs black coffee.
Lunch 3pm 1/2 banana bread
5:15pm the remaining 1/2 banana bread

7.30pm Dinner 2 lamb cutlets with coleslaw and a gin and tonic.

Chocolate bullets maybe more than I should of eaten but it relieved my nausea.

Wednesday
1 x Boiled egg and almond and berry shake with a black coffee
Dinner I Baked a potato and a crown chicken but the chicken took forever to cook oddly enough and potatoes were cooked so just had the potatoes only. Chicken I'll have it Thursday night.

Breakfast Thursday made keto pancakes served with some butter and yogurt but couldn't finish eating and felt nauseous so only ate one and a Black coffee

Went up the road to buy a few things

Afternoon tea coffee with almond milk

Dinner made vietnamese rice paper rolls with chicken carrots cucumber cabbage and herbs ate two. About an hour later was feeling hungry so ate Some salada crackers with cheese oddly enough I think the crackers made me feel hungrier so had the last lot of my bullets. Its strange that when I feel nauseous I seem to go for food things that perhaps should avoid eating. Its only what my body seems to tolerate so I often wonder why that is.

Its now after 2am insomniac me is still awake so I better switch of my phone and try to get some shut eye.

Photos are of my vietnamese rice paper rolls and sunset on Tues night.

20200116_175819.jpeg
20200115_160810.jpeg
20200114_184107.jpeg

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
I have been struck not for the first time at how difficult LC is for those of you (@Annb and @annabell1 ) with other health issues. I admire you both for persevering
Yesterday I ate:
Breakfast: usual slice LivLife toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: bowl of h/m leek & brocolli soup, small plate icebeeg lettuce with spoon egg mayo.
Supper: Remainder of egg mayo tub, iceberg, cucumber, cherry toms. Ruined it by eating a Southern fried chicken mini fillet while dishing up for Mr PM.

Today
Breakfast: Same
Lunch: bowl of the same soup, small Greek Salad.
Supper: 2 giant cod fishfingers and more salad (veg drawer empty!)

Might have a G&ST as its almost Friday!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can someone please tell me what rises in blood sugar are acceptable to see, and should I be testing both one and two hours after meals.

The general rule of thumb is a rise of no more than 2mmols two hours after the first bite of a meal. It’s often said that you’ll. e higher at 1 hour than 2 hours, so testing at the 1 hour mark can help with seeing what the peak is. However, if the fat content of a meal is high the peak may be delayed - certainly for me, I’m usually higher after 2 hours than 1, but unless going off piste, the peak will be well under 2.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hungry today. Was actually a bit peckish before bed last night but was fasting for some Medichecks bloods this morning so had to wait it out.

Early lunch was smoked salmon and whipped creamy cheese.

Dinner was lamb leg cooked in the IP. Didn’t get the timing right so was a bit overdone. Still peckish so a 20g piece of Jarlsberg and a 20g piece of applewood cheese for ‘dessert’.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. A nice narrow eating window for me today ( accidental but every cloud etc)
L: around 2:30 DD keto cauliflower soup with crispy pancetta. Very nice, would recommend.
D: DD butter burger I think @maglil55 commented last week how nice this was - have to agree.
@Winnie-the-Pooh So sorry you’re feeling under the weather and about your low mood, I hope that you will soon see some results from this Way of Eating which will improve things for you and make you feel more optimistic.
@mouseee I expect it was the tonic not the gin that spiked your bg. I’ve fallen foul of that, not all Slimline tonics are zero carb. Fever tree naturally light for instance has 6g carb per small bottle.
@Rachox I’ve still to try the Patisserie Valerie Eggs benedict, it looks great.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox I’ve still to try the Patisserie Valerie Eggs benedict, it looks great
I was surprised Pat Val was still open in Cardiff, I’d heard the chain was in trouble and the Oxford branch has shut :(

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Collecting from brum and occupying cooper today plus a care visit to autistic eldest son so found that apart from coffee with cream no time for food until dinner. Did amazing long walk with cooper in rain and wind - he needed a shower and towel down afterwards but seemed quite excited by the wild wind and the fact that loads of birds sheltering alongside the river Severn that he could pretend to be brave with and chase - we also disturbed a heron an amazing sight. Despite 15000 steps he’s still going and wanting us to play with a ball! Youngest son and partner are travelling middle of tonight for a 30th birthday pressie for son from his partner. It’s a surprise city break - they don’t know where they are going just what airport, time and weather forecast and have a scratchcard to reveal their destination at the airport! All they know is it’s cold and they leave home in middle of night tonight! They are guessing somewhere in Eastern Europe will let you know tomorrow !
Dinner meat balls with konjac spaghetti and cheese with glass of red wine. Pudding lc lemon sponge pudding with yoghurt and cream. Bit of 100% montezumas with almonds with decaff coffee.
@Goonergal good luck with Medicare checks - what have you had checked today? It’s always both easier and harder when fasting for tests........you don’t have a choice to eat but makes it kinda harder! Good luck x

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was surprised Pat Val was still open in Cardiff, I’d heard the chain was in trouble and the Oxford branch has shut :(

Yes I heard the same thing a couple of months ago. Sadly no branches in Cornwall at all.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The general rule of thumb is a rise of no more than 2mmols two hours after the first bite of a meal. It’s often said that you’ll. e higher at 1 hour than 2 hours, so testing at the 1 hour mark can help with seeing what the peak is. However, if the fat content of a meal is high the peak may be delayed - certainly for me, I’m usually higher after 2 hours than 1, but unless going off piste, the peak will be well under 2.
thank you for that information, very helpful.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late Lunch: Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: black coffee.
Dinner: cheddar and mushroom omelette with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by SF jelly, cream and macadamia and coconut keto granola

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DCUKMod - yes, I have Chinese cleavers. No I do not have chain mail gloves. @Goonergal - excellent looking air fried beef. What kind of joint did you use? Welcome back @Tori71! @Chook - I'm still sitting smiling at the thought of the Psycho music. I'm behind again but I know what I'm eating with the DD Schedule.
Tuesday 14 January - bed 5.6 FBG 5.3.
B. No breakfast today. It was supposed to be these veggie eggs but it was too much food with Lunch & Dinner to follow.
L. This was a reversal of Monday. Dinner became lunch; lunch became dinner. So, leftover parmesan chicken with cabbage but a smaller portion.
D. That seafood salad again, slight larger portion and I added some walnut pieces.

Both these DD recipes are really, really good.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@Rachox eggs Benedict looked delicious.
@Winnie-the-Pooh hope you feel better soon.
@annabell1 rice paper rolls look good
16-01-2020
Breakfast CWC x2, nut granola. And 2 eggs sort of scrambled eggs.
Confess i did have choc biscuits with coffee this morning.
Lunch. avocado, sheep's cheese and tomato salad with lettuce and cucumber.
MrSlim was working late again. Got very hungry. Ate some granola.
Dinner chicken, tiny piece of roast potato, roast celariac, few carrots, brocolli and five sprouts. Stewed apples and cream 2 glasses of wine.
Fancied something sweet had several spoonfuls of the crumble/biscuit mix.
Lemon tea

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Winnie - I have never, ever asked anyone to change location for me. I have always found food to eat on a menu, even if it means my choices look a,bit odd to others.

We're currently in SE Asia (as we were for a couple of months last year). During our time here, we eat breakfast at home, tend to skip lunch, then eat out every night. I have never gone hungry and had mum best ever HbA1c, ever.

Sometimes, I'll sometimes have 2 starters, instead of a starter and main, but I have never gone hungry. For me, it's about making th. best choices from what's available.

Sometimes it's worth seeing if menus are available online to start the deliberations there.
Have to agree. As you know I go away with a crowd every year and, as you say, it involves some homework, but studying the menus online saves loads of time. Italian restaurants are pretty straightforward. There's 2 whole sections you can ignore straight away - pasta & pizza - but Italian is a lot more than that. Antipasto - meats/cheese or the fishy variety or the veggie version. Squid doesn't have to be in batter - tell them in advance you have an issue with flour. It's just as delicious pan fried in garlic butter. Aubergine parmigiana - another great standby as a main or a starter. Italian Carne - chicken, veal - some delicious sauces and again tell them you can't eat potato and I always get an offer to increase the veg or sub a salad. Desserts I don't think about now - a special coffee with brandy, no sugar and cream is a great substitute. Like you, I sometimes find there are more starters that appeal to me than mains. Then I just double up on the starters.
I used to think eating out would be a problem but it's not. Trick is letting the place know your dietary requirements in advance. There are so many allergies nowadays they are happy to oblige.