What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I have noticed on outdoor forays, there are many matching hairdos around at the moment. Mainly they look like clipper cuts, but I'm sure some aren't.

Yes, there are a few Sinead O'Connor cuts here too - plus a few that remind me of skunks and a few that have completely overdone the DIY bleaching (think white Brillo pad). I always wondered why there were four hairdressers in this village.

Reactions: maglil55

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pulled pork today.

Instant potted two pork shoulder joints.
Removed from pot.
Cooled.
Removed skin and fat.
Crackled it in the airfryer.
Pulled the pork.
Served pork in bowl with v cheffy ribbons of crackling tastefully arranged over the top.

Only problem is that Mr B is now at work til 11pm, and I am home alone, in charge of the rest of the potential crackling...

B: didn't happen
D: probably won't happen, but if it does, I give you 3 guesses what it will be.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dinner is in the IP - oxtail. Too lazy to sort it last night or before going out this morning so arrived home from a mega walk needing to wash the IP before prep could start. Was more than a little peckish so had some cheese and a couple of pickled onions as a starter. Not long to wait for the main course now.

With all the talk of hairdressing, thought this pic from Facebook appropriate.

78E7FE96-7308-4757-9185-A2105F3623A3.jpeg

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My intention is not to eat again today but not sure that’ll happen.
Breakfast: Sunday treat of bacon and eggs, black coffee
Late lunch of grilled flatfish. Mr C thinks flounder, whatever it was I made him cut the head off before it was put under the grill, no more toothy surprises thank you! It was gorgeous. Served with lemon butter and wilted spinach and a lc custard for pud, topped with grated 100% chocolate. 1 small glass dry white wine.

Dennis’ haircut went well in spite of the clippers not being up to the job. Zooming through MrC’s beard and sparse top bit didn’t cause any problems but little D has a very thick fluffy undercoat which the clippers couldn’t deal with. Used proper hairdressing scissors with great care and he looks great. He’s so much cooler now and is bounding about rejoicing in his sleekness. The blackbirds will hopefully enjoy all the soft furry fluff in the lawn now to line their nests.
@Rachox what a lovely thoughtful thing for your daughter to have done. I really miss coffee shops too. We’ve made a jar of suggestions for the things we want to do as soon as lockdown is over. I’ve put ‘coffee shop’ in about half a dozen times now!

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all great fence and shed painting day although it’s now raining here after lovely day but hope dries up by morning so can get out there again.
Hungry day today must be the outdoor work!
Breakfast sausage, bacon, egg and half a chaffle
Lunch handful almonds, vintage cheddar plus coffee with Aldi choc, nut and seed bar.
Dinner roast chicken, roast celeriac, Herefordshire asparagus and braised celery with glass of dry white followed by sf jelly and cream. Later will have decaff coffee with hc choc.
Gather tomorrow last fully dry day for a bit so prepped another section of fence before finished for the day today ready to go at it painting first thing tomorrow.this particular bit of the fence had lots of climbing plants up it so sensitive work! May have to have a few days gap after tomorrow due to weather and caring stuff but I’m not going on holiday just yet!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Salted caramel phd bar.
Late Lunch: cold roast chicken followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: cheese and mushroom omelette with a leafy salad followed by a dessert made from melted 85% chocolate, cream and peanut butter :hungry:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
26-04-2020

At the end is a question. Answers please.
Breakfast usual nut granola, (skimpy portion left for tomorrow, need to make more) confit chicken livers. CWC x2
Forgot to have coffee.
Lunch: ham slice sread with mayonnaise and then rolled up with rocket inside. Garden Salad, walnuts. Red cabbage coleslaw. Water and made but didn't drink tea.
Tea, from microwave.
Dinner pesto and pasta,( 20 penne) added tuna. Which was a mistake. Not very nice to eat and too much oil for tummy to cope. Brocolli and carrots. Glass of wine.
Now. Here comes the dilemma.
Eat to the meter. Not had this type of pasta before. So tested before meal.5.3
One hour 4.9 ? Expected a rise
Two hours 6.7 OK, it was wholemeal pasta, but that's a steep jump. Tested again same drop of blood 6.3.
Moments later 6.6
How can the results be so different?
How can I trust the results?

Its so frustrating.
First time I have been tempted to dive into the chocolate.

Edited for typos

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and Annb
D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Three egg, cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes.
Lunch: Garlic Tiger prawns.
Dwe01us.gif

Dinner: Steak and veggies.

Drinks: Black coffee, water.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
26-04-2020

Now. Here comes the dilemma.
Eat to the meter. Not had this type of pasta before. So tested before meal.5.3
One hour 4.9 ? Expected a rise
Two hours 6.7 OK, it was wholemeal pasta, but that's a steep jump. Tested again same drop of blood 6.3.
Moments later 6.6
How can the results be so different?
How can I trust the results?

Its so frustrating.
First time I have been tempted to dive ibmnto the chocolate.

My Aviva Accuchek meter does the same - fluctuates a few either way if I recheck the reading, but not very much in the scheme of things - maybe a few decimal points. Blood pressure readings are the same - I can use a BP monitor 3 times and get 3 different readings. The nurse does the same thing. When medics take the reading though, it is rarely very different, whereas when I do it, it can be all over the place.

Reactions: Chook

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: Three egg, cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes.
Lunch: Garlic Tiger prawns.
Dwe01us.gif

Dinner: Steak and veggies.

Drinks: Black coffee, water.

Breakfast and Dinner sound great, but Prawns! I'm sure they are good, healthy food but couldn't put them in my mouth. They scare me as much as insects and spiders do.

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast and Dinner sound great, but Prawns! I'm sure they are good, healthy food but couldn't put them in my mouth.
I like Banana prawns better, but they only had Tigers, and were very nice when garlicky.
They scare me as much as insects and spiders do.
They're tasty as well deep fried, I like witchety grubs cooked in the coals as well.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Breakfast and Dinner sound great, but Prawns! I'm sure they are good, healthy food but couldn't put them in my mouth. They scare me as much as insects and spiders do.

They're delicious. Along with octopus and squid and scallops in a half decent butter drenched marinara.

But I hate crab ... tasteless rubbish.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SlimLizzy @Annb those sorts of fluctuations in BG are very small: 6.7, 6.3, 6.6 are pretty much saying the same thing. Most meters have an accuracy range of +/- 15% so those are well within that. Having worn a Libre for some time now it’s also evident that there are many such‘mini fluctuations’ (of the sort discussed here) throughout the day.

Getting back on topic, it’s a bit early in the day to confidently announce my food, but there is salmon in the fridge waiting to be used (one of the items unearthed in my freezer audit) as well as bacon and copious amounts of cold deli meat. I won’t starve, for sure but still to plan the combinations.

My most regular drink has become my post exercise ‘electrolyte’ drink of iced water (lots of ice :D) with the juice of half a fresh lime and some pink Himalayan salt mixed in. Usually drink a few large glasses of it a day. Very refreshing and delicious.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Yesterday brekkie was usual slice HiLo toast, lots of tea.
Lunch was leftover from Christmas white crab meat found in the freezer mixed with mayo and mine on slice Hilo toast.
Supper was h/c gammon, brocolli for me, fried eggs and chips for Mr PM.
@SlimLizzy I think that was a good result after eating pasta. I would fare so much worse. When I have done pasta bake for the family I have sometimes eaten the few cheesey bits stuck to the dish before soaking it. Always resulted in horrid fbg next day.

Today’s food
Brekkie same. Always the same.
Lunch will be egg mayo with last of the lettuce.
Corned beef sandwich for Mr PM.
Supper will be repest for Mr PM and cheese & tomato omelette for me.
Have a good day everyone.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@SlimLizzy @Annb those sorts of fluctuations in BG are very small: 6.7, 6.3, 6.6 are pretty much saying the same thing. Most meters have an accuracy range of +/- 15% so those are well within that. Having worn a Libre for some time now it’s also evident that there are many such‘mini fluctuations’ (of the sort discussed here) throughout the day.

@Goonergal Thank you for the explanation. Although to me 15% seems a rather large margin for error.
Have a good day. Stay safe and well.

edited by moderator for clarity

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Chook

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
They're delicious. Along with octopus and squid and scallops in a half decent butter drenched marinara.

But I hate crab ... tasteless rubbish.

Wouldn't eat crab either. Mussels, scallops, cockles and winkles are all fine - they don't seem to me to equate to anything in the insect world, but I don't like the taste of oysters. But sea creatures with legs are, to me, quite horrendous.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I like Banana prawns better, but they only had Tigers, and were very nice when garlicky.

They're tasty as well deep fried, I like witchety grubs cooked in the coals as well.

My aversion doesn't make any kind of sense and I know it! Your mention of witchety grubs made me shudder and then I realised that much of this stems back to my childhood when we saw "nature" films which showed aborigine folk cooking and eating these fat, white grubs with obvious enjoyment. The films were a kind of English propoganda to show how backward and strange those foreign folk were (even the Scots eating haggis!) and how superior we were. Rubbish of course, but as kids we took it in. Now, although I don't accept the premis of "inferior foreign/not English folk" I still can't get the idea of insect as food into my head.

Edited to add: haven't worked out what food to have today. Just tea so far. Just toasting off the remainder of the wholemeal loaf to make into breadcrumbs and freeze for some meal that I shan't be eating.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, meal number 1 has just been eaten.

2 fried eggs with bacon wrapped Halloumi fries - first time cooking those in the Lidl airfryer. Need a bit less time than in the old one and worked using the standard ‘chips’ setting, LOL.

So dinner will be wild Alaskan sock-eye salmon in lemon butter sauce, after a planned afternoon stroll (two weeks off work - yay!)

272ACE91-6C07-4D85-8937-C1C01506D8CA.jpeg

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Annb - BTV (before turning vegetarian) I used to eat any kind of seafood or fish as long as it was sustainably sourced but i can't imagine any circumstances when I could force myself to eat insects. Ewwww

Hi everyone

Breakfast: Usual omelette with carb free syrup (I'm running out of the fruity flavours and i doubt TK Maxx will open anytime soon.... must look on eBay)

Lunch: Actimel and some Lidl Dolce Gorgonzola (by far the best)

Dinner: Mr C is planning cheese and roasted red onion quiche with lodough crust, h/m red coleslaw and salad (he'll probably have chips with his)