What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Managed the 18 hours this time and had veg curry with an added hard boiled egg for breakfast. FBG was 10.1 but 12.3 by the time I had breakfast. We'll see what it's like later.

2nd meal will be a slice of the cold lamb and some gravy. I had asked the butcher to give me a piece of rolled breast of lamb, but when I got home it was shoulder. Not to worry, it was tasty.

Carbs should be pretty reasonable and I hope the calories will be low enough - no idea how many calories are in the lamb. Maybe not too many because it wasn't as fatty as I had expected.

Must get some smoked mackerel next shopping day.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
All the best for the ears of your stray!
Started Cats ear drops on the 1st, We are dosing on odd days only, now up to the 17th and she has started to resist a bit, flattening her ears and today shaking her head, which resulted in a much larger than intended dose into the worst ear. Maybe that will get it further inside, could be good.
Directions are use drops for minimum of three weeks. Am assuming this means until the ears look clean. Might be another week or so in that case.
Has your cat reappeared yet?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I need to buy smoked mackerel and cream cheese at the weekend.

Me too!
And I still have a yearning for @Chook ‘s baked Camembert but local shop doesn’t sell it. I should have a list of ‘delicious ideas from here I want to eat’

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Managed the 18 hours this time and had veg curry with an added hard boiled egg for breakfast. FBG was 10.1 but 12.3 by the time I had breakfast. We'll see what it's like later.

2nd meal will be a slice of the cold lamb and some gravy. I had asked the butcher to give me a piece of rolled breast of lamb, but when I got home it was shoulder. Not to worry, it was tasty.

Carbs should be pretty reasonable and I hope the calories will be low enough - no idea how many calories are in the lamb. Maybe not too many because it wasn't as fatty as I had expected.

Must get some smoked mackerel next shopping day.

Don't you see the butcher prep your meats. We don't always see the larger joints being prepared, but I always choose our joints quite carefully.

(Lamb, being a fatty meat can be quite calorie heavy.)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
haha, it is another of my ‘special’ throw togethers.

put 2 parts flaked mackerel (minus the skin!) into a bowl with 1 part cream cheese.
Add a dollop of horseradish, a good splash of lemon or lime juice, salt, pepper and a splash of Tabasco.

then either mash it all together with a fork, or blend it all together with a hand blender/mixer

eat, or freeze to eat later.

it is v v v easy and quite delicious.
Now that is something I know I would like although I'd have to do a microscopic, fingertip search to make sure there were no bones (which would fuel my bone aversion).

Reactions: DJC3 and Chook

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't you see the butcher prep your meats. We don't always see the larger joints being prepared, but I always choose our joints quite carefully.

(Lamb, being a fatty meat can be quite calorie heavy.)

At the moment our butcher preps meat in the back shop and holds it up as he approaches the wrapping station to show the size, but it's pretty dark in the shop, so I couldn't see that it was the wrong cut. There is a counter of meat, but it's always the best cuts on show, and the pies and wrapped meats, so anything I want that is different, which it usually is - I like the slower cooked cuts which are not on show - have to be brought through from the back shop. This is the way they have organised their working during this pandemic. I might have got the wrong stuff, but it's better than the plastic wrapped meat from the supermarket.

Next time I put an order in I will see if he can supply lambs' hearts. My mother used to cook sheep's heart, stuffed with (I think) barley but I have no idea how she cooked it. In the oven, I think, but how long for? What temperature? No idea. Does anyone know? Not that I think I could get hold of sheep's heart anyway - can't even get mutton. Lambs' hearts are smaller and I do know how to cook them but haven't done so for a long time. I'm not sure that they will have them. It's still too soon to be ordering more meat, but I had to go to town yesterday, so I thought I'd just pop in and get one bit of meat, on the way past. Maybe next week.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not been doing low carb but eating too much carbs yesterday and today I had a crown put on one of my back tooth and was told no eating on that side for 48 hours do you know how hard that it is to do will I thought so and for some reason find myself eating white bread sandwiches and pasta and my goodness my heart especially tonight is pounding like no tomorrow tonght after eating pasta I forgot about that horrible feeling no to mention my BSL has been higher to what I'm not used to. Anyway that's my few days sadly but tomorrow I am going back to Low carb hope my new zirconium crown tooth copes with it.
Soup or omelette? Both very soft. It's strange that when we are told "don't" we automatically "do"

Reactions: annabell1 and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Now that is something I know I would like although I'd have to do a microscopic, fingertip search to make sure there were no bones (which would fuel my bone aversion).

Yes, there are some pretty big, sharp bones in mackerel, mostly on the centre line of the fillet but Tesco recently were selling packs of smoked mackerel consisting just of the outer edges of the fillet - all boney section removed. Very easy, don't even need to flake them, just break them down into smaller bits and blitz or mash.

I also have an aversion to fish bones. That's why I don't eat herring, or kippers, although I do like the taste.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wish wish WISH I could cope with half a banana - I really miss bananas. :hungry:

Are you low carb because I can't cope up with the baked crisps either? :hungry:

Which fishless fish do you have? I tried the quorn version but it didn't taste much like fish.
I can manage 1/4 just!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, there are some pretty big, sharp bones in mackerel, mostly on the centre line of the fillet but Tesco recently were selling packs of smoked mackerel consisting just of the outer edges of the fillet - all boney section removed. Very easy, don't even need to flake them, just break them down into smaller bits and blitz or mash.
Trust me, I can find bones anywhere! I have my fish tweezers. Hubby doesn't understand why I persist but, I really like fish. I just have this strong aversion to bones. Find a bone and I'm done. No way will I eat any more.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd promised to make some brownies for an event so steeled myself to the task knowing my self control is weak...
Just a few licks of spoons and fingers sent bg up to 9.5 so skipped any proper breakfast and lunch (was this the best approach?)
Was horrified reading the labels on some of the ingredients! A tiny biscoff biscuit (often served with coffee ) was 6g carb, per minuscule biscuit. I try to stay in 20g per day.

D. Was pork belly with kale and green beans. 4 strawberries and 2 spoons of clotted cream
Loads of Low Carb brownie recipes. Here's just one

https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/keto-brownies/

Just don't tell people it's low carb. I do it all the time. Black Forest Gateaux, Baileys, Creme Brulee. They actually prefer the LC versions now.

Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All this talk of Smoked mackerel has reminded me to defrost a pack for Mike’s lunch tomorrow and the day after. I dont like anything smoked other than haddock. I just add some FAGE natural yogurt to the flakes with a spoon of mustard and seasoning. He seems to like it.
Today my FBG was at last in a place I was happy with after a couple of torrid weeks. So breakfast was the usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea.
Lunch was egg mayo with Tom Thumb lettuce from the garden, radishes, 3 cherry toms and an inch of cucumber. Diet Pepsi for a treat.
Supper will be h/m lazy curry using Lloyd Grossman Bhuna sauce.
Going to try some Strawberry gin with soda.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the moment our butcher preps meat in the back shop and holds it up as he approaches the wrapping station to show the size, but it's pretty dark in the shop, so I couldn't see that it was the wrong cut. There is a counter of meat, but it's always the best cuts on show, and the pies and wrapped meats, so anything I want that is different, which it usually is - I like the slower cooked cuts which are not on show - have to be brought through from the back shop. This is the way they have organised their working during this pandemic. I might have got the wrong stuff, but it's better than the plastic wrapped meat from the supermarket.

Next time I put an order in I will see if he can supply lambs' hearts. My mother used to cook sheep's heart, stuffed with (I think) barley but I have no idea how she cooked it. In the oven, I think, but how long for? What temperature? No idea. Does anyone know? Not that I think I could get hold of sheep's heart anyway - can't even get mutton. Lambs' hearts are smaller and I do know how to cook them but haven't done so for a long time. I'm not sure that they will have them. It's still too soon to be ordering more meat, but I had to go to town yesterday, so I thought I'd just pop in and get one bit of meat, on the way past. Maybe next week.

My approach is usually something like,

Me: Could I have a piece of lamb please, for Sunday roast?
Butcher: Which cut?
Me (yesterday): Could I have a small rack please?
Butcher: Not this weekend, we have a huge order in.
Me (Disappointed face): In that case, leg please?
Butcher: How big?
Me: Could you show me what's on offer and I'll take it from there.

He usually then holds the knife to the leg, in this case, and I tell him to go bigger or smaller.

If whatever we're having looks nice, I might buy one for the weekend, and another for another time, and freeze it, or if it's chumps, just buy whatever they have on display.

Not that I'm a control freak you understand. We're very lucky with our butcher, but I still like to choose what I'm spending on.

I always give feedback on recent purchases too.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am officially very stupid indeed.

Tonight, MrB has requested chish and fips from the local chippie. As he has been known to be violently ill after fish, this always feels like a bit of Russian Roulette.
To be fair, the worst reactions are to shellfish, without a doubt, lobster (sadly for him) close behind, then other fish, but thus far, the local chip shop has been awinner.

Why am I an idiot? Well, I usually defrost a chicken portion, marinade or spice it up, then airfry for me. Yes, today I forgot.

I guess it'll be a couple of fried eggs for me then, with a few pilfered chips and mushy peas.

Hey ho. Could be worse.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am officially very stupid indeed.

Tonight, MrB has requested chish and fips from the local chippie. As he has been known to be violently ill after fish, this always feels like a bit of Russian Roulette.
To be fair, the worst reactions are to shellfish, without a doubt, lobster (sadly for him) close behind, then other fish, but thus far, the local chip shop has been awinner.

Why am I an idiot? Well, I usually defrost a chicken portion, marinade or spice it up, then airfry for me. Yes, today I forgot.

I guess it'll be a couple of fried eggs for me then, with a few pilfered chips and mushy peas.

Hey ho. Could be worse.

Have you asked your chippy to do you a steamed fish? Many will do that instead of battered. It’s what I always have if the rest are having a fish shop supper. Not punching their chips is hard though.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t get round to posting yesterday. I had coffee all morning.
Picnic lunch of smoked salmon and cream cheese in Lo Dough wrap plus a baby bell.
Dinner was rack of lamb with roast veg. The most wonderful lamb I’ve ever eaten. It was from the whole lamb we bought from the local farm a few weeks back.
Maglil55 how about making @Brunneria ‘s magical mackerel pate with a tin of mackerel? Not quite the same flavour but guaranteed no bones
IMG_3313.jpg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 thanks for the recipe, but it had been requested I make biscoff brownies, which is brownies with biscoff biscuits in and biscoff spread on top . No chance of a keto version !
I made just half the mix and cut them very small. I had half a one after lunch and stayed under 8.0! Visitors ate quite a few and The boys are under strict instructions to eat the rest this evening out of my sight and sound.

Anniversary today and DH wanted to go out for a meal, but I'm still not comfortable in enclosed spaces with strangers so have compromised on a take away. Last time I had a fish soup and a dry curry second starter which seemed to work well so will go for same again.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you asked your chippy to do you a steamed fish? Many will do that instead of battered. It’s what I always have if the rest are having a fish shop supper. Not punching their chips is hard though.

Any time since the chip shop reopened, we have done a click and collect order, as it's so very efficient. No more than a moment or two waiting, so we're ordered up.

On the one time I asked for a fish without batter, it had obviously still been dredged in flour. That wasn't any enormous crime, except for the gluten, rendering me a lump on the sofa for a day or two.. I seem to get away with the few pilfered chips, but as Friday isn't a gluten-free night, I'll stick with Plan B.

Serves me right!

Reactions: DJC3