What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You’ve got much better will power than me, tempted to check every 5 minutes!
What Mrs A2 is saying is put the sensor on but don't start it up for one or 2 days. I found if you start it the day you put it on it tends to give odd readings for a while. I always do a few tests on the first day to see if it's settling.

Reactions: Onlinecaroline

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Has anyone found a good way to thicken a stew? I used to use lentils or Pearl barley in a lamb stew and was wondering if flaxseed or chia seed or something similar would work.
I dont want to add xanthan gum or arrowroot as I’m not keen on the slippery texture, and I don’t think I fancy adding cream to a lamb stew.
Any suggestions?
Puréed onions?
Have seen this as a suggestion for thickening curries, might work with a stew.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday bed 3.9 FBG 4.1. I was sitting low almost all day.
B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with butter.
L. Nothing.
D. A bit roast chicken with heavily trimmed avocado, a few mini tomatoes, mozzarella balls, boiled egg and coleslaw.

Wednesday bed 4.9 FBG 5.2

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC bread with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing
D. I air fried one of these pork escalopes with a low carb crumb. Hubby got me a few of these silicon brushes which I used to liberally apply some rapeseed oil. Had with one of my favourite Iceland broccoli and cauliflower souffle thingy.

Today - Thursday bed 7.4 FBG 6.7 - no idea why the rise but it settled again.

B. TAG
L. A Dairylea triangle (yes, I know, exciting)
D. Hubby has now bought me an electric spiraliser! Bought some courgette which were spiralised in seconds! It was added to another Iceland find @DJC3 - prawn in a ragu. It's these big wild shrimp things again and it's right beside the wild shrimp with tomato and chilli. Similar packet and only about 5g of carbs for the pack. I added a few more chopped mini tomatoes to it, 2 sliced mushrooms and the quickly spiralised courgette.

I was caught up today sorting out the rest of grandson's school work today to take into school. It must be affecting me as I'm looking at this post and thinking I should be using semi-colons there! @MrsA2, the doughnuts look good but like @shelley262 it was something I was never keen on. I have, however, placed a DGF order for the coffee and walnut and also is it the St Clement's? Hopefully they don't reside in Peterborough sorting office again.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast. CWC slice of cheese, spoonful of peanut butter.
More coffee and later more CWC
Lunch slice of Ham, two hard boiled eggs
Cup of tea.
Picked at cheese all afternoon.
Dinner mince, sprouts, few carrots one small parsnip. Lot of wine.
Slices of pink grapefruit love the sharpness
Son1 bought wine gums. Did have one, the green ones were always my favourites.
2 cups of lemon tea
Bg before bed 5 2

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Puréed onions?
Have seen this as a suggestion for thickening curries, might work with a stew.

Thanks, for the suggestion- I always used to start a curry with finely chopped or grated onion cooked slowly until they caramelised and they did work as a sauce thickener. I tend to use very little onion now though to reduce carbs, I’ll add some with the other puréed veg

Reactions: ziggy_w

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tuesday bed 3.9 FBG 4.1. I was sitting low almost all day.
B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with butter.
L. Nothing.
D. A bit roast chicken with heavily trimmed avocado, a few mini tomatoes, mozzarella balls, boiled egg and coleslaw.

Wednesday bed 4.9 FBG 5.2

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC bread with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing
D. I air fried one of these pork escalopes with a low carb crumb. Hubby got me a few of these silicon brushes which I used to liberally apply some rapeseed oil. Had with one of my favourite Iceland broccoli and cauliflower souffle thingy.

Today - Thursday bed 7.4 FBG 6.7 - no idea why the rise but it settled again.

B. TAG
L. A Dairylea triangle (yes, I know, exciting)
D. Hubby has now bought me an electric spiraliser! Bought some courgette which were spiralised in seconds! It was added to another Iceland find @DJC3 - prawn in a ragu. It's these big wild shrimp things again and it's right beside the wild shrimp with tomato and chilli. Similar packet and only about 5g of carbs for the pack. I added a few more chopped mini tomatoes to it, 2 sliced mushrooms and the quickly spiralised courgette.

I was caught up today sorting out the rest of grandson's school work today to take into school. It must be affecting me as I'm looking at this post and thinking I should be using semi-colons there! @MrsA2, the doughnuts look good but like @shelley262 it was something I was never keen on. I have, however, placed a DGF order for the coffee and walnut and also is it the St Clement's? Hopefully they don't reside in Peterborough sorting office again.

Thanks for the heads up re the prawns in Ragu. I was excited yesterday as I made a trip to The Range, just to exchange my soda stream canister. They now have an Iceland franchise in the middle of the shop. Excitement short lived as I couldn’t find the wild shrimp or the broccoli cheese things
I have the coffee and walnut and the St Clements DGF cakes but surprisingly I’m not keen on either. Both taste a bit too artificial to me which is a shame but probably a good thing really.
Thanks for the potato fibre thickener tip. I can see that might work but it’ll probably come in a big bag that I will only use a spoonful of, like the oat fibre. Everything gets so damp here I can only buy very small quantities of anything.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the heads up re the prawns in Ragu. I was excited yesterday as I made a trip to The Range, just to exchange my soda stream canister. They now have an Iceland franchise in the middle of the shop. Excitement short lived as I couldn’t find the wild shrimp or the broccoli cheese things
I have the coffee and walnut and the St Clements DGF cakes but surprisingly I’m not keen on either. Both taste a bit too artificial to me which is a shame but probably a good thing really.
Thanks for the potato fibre thickener tip. I can see that might work but it’ll probably come in a big bag that I will only use a spoonful of, like the oat fibre. Everything gets so damp here I can only buy very small quantities of anything.
Do you not have a bigger Iceland (or a delivery service?). I don't bother with delivery as it is probably less than 1 mile away. Their delivery service by all accounts is very good.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - greek yoghurt, mixed berries & seeds & double cream on top

Dinner - Large mushroom & onion omlette. 2 squares 90% Lindtt

Edit to Add- I have just treated myself to the Spring Blondie mixed box from DGF :happy:

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast scrambled eggs on one slice of hm lc toast
Lunch two small slices of cooked ham and two hm lc truffles
Dinner sea bream in lemon butter with chips - celeriac not potatoe! And asparagus with glass of dry white wine followed by sf jelly and yoghurt.

Onlinecaroline

Breakfast - 3 eggs mashed in a cup with butter

Lunch - a low carb bagel from Keto Cottage with a bacon and some cream cheese.

Dinner - ribeye steak, creamed spinach, mushrooms, cauliflower cheese and homemade Bernaise sauce.

DGF lemon and blueberry cake and a Montezuma truffle.

One very odd thing I’ve noticed since I’ve been able to start tracking is that after I eat is my BG falls low. After my lunch today it fell to 2.8. Not really sure what the problem is.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - 3 eggs mashed in a cup with butter

Lunch - a low carb bagel from Keto Cottage with a bacon and some cream cheese.

Dinner - ribeye steak, creamed spinach, mushrooms, cauliflower cheese and homemade Bernaise sauce.

DGF lemon and blueberry cake and a Montezuma truffle.

One very odd thing I’ve noticed since I’ve been able to start tracking is that after I eat is my BG falls low. After my lunch today it fell to 2.8. Not really sure what the problem is.
Is it the libre sensor recording very low? Worth checking against normal finger prick may be faulty sensor as very low reading for in the day after food.

Onlinecaroline

Is it the libre sensor recording very low? Worth checking against normal finger prick may be faulty sensor as very low reading for in the day after food.
I’ve downloaded DiaBox too just so I wasn’t just reliant on the Libre app as I can’t finger prick unfortunately. But I’m not sure if the sensor would also make DiaBox read low too.

I seem to have had normal readings the rest of the day woke up with a 6, it just seems every time I eat anything the levels drop.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Today was shopping day, but every time I got myself to the point of going out another torrential rain started, making me decide to wait a bit longer.
The fourth time I decided to go it was a hail storm with lots of big hailstones so I decided enough is enough and forget the shopping. (Yes, I'm a 'watje' in Dutch. I mean I was going to go by car so it's all bad excuses.)

So no Brussels sprouts for the guinea-pigs tomorrow, as I ate them myself with a spicy and gingery peanut and onion sauce, and cut and marinated pork belly strips I found in the freezer :hungry:. Despite it not looking very appetising, it tasted wonderful!
Ridiculous bright orange plate? Yes, but it's plastic so the food doesn't cool as quick :). Besides, it was clean, as opposed to my other plates :D.

159922593_10223072142786317_8180799265357026346_o.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you not have a bigger Iceland (or a delivery service?). I don't bother with delivery as it is probably less than 1 mile away. There delivery service by all accounts is very good.

Not sure it’d be worth delivering a couple of frozen meals - no room in freezer for bulk buys. There is another Iceland in town (St Austell) I just need to make myself drive over there.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch today was a chicken breast stuffed with Boursin and wrapped in bacon, a few salad leaves and olive oil.
Dinner was lamb stew. Thanks for all your suggestions re thickening. I used a stick blender at the end and pulsed a few times so some of the veg was puréed but there were still lumps of veg too. Worked pretty well. I also threw in a handful of linseeds at the start which gave a bit of texture. 1 SLC roll and butter with it. Glass of red too.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
11:00 Poached eggs on one piece of lc soda bread, and 15g cheese
13:00 the last of the ketonuts. Tried only having a half but wasn't enough to satisfy me after very windy walk.
19:30 lamb curry cooked by dh following a cook along on zoom. Very tasty.

My first ever libre in place so waiting first scan with eagerness

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a birthday cake phd smart bar (just to be absolutely sure they don’t spike me as I’m currently using my first Libre, blood sugar barely budged, so I’m very happy)
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner: home made, low carb Scotch eggs (thanks for the recipe @DJC3) with salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

8B1B193B-8B70-4987-825E-ED4ADC065531.jpeg