What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: bacon and eggs - dry fried.

Up and down most of the night and by morning felt awful - BG high and I was hungry and thirsty, so breakfast was a bit earlier than usual. I was supposed to be joining a Zoom conference at 10 am, but I was nowhere near ready so left it a while and joined about 11 instead. But I just couldn't stay awake and had to pull out again.

About to have some coffee and see if that helps. If not, I'll go back to bed for a while.

2nd meal: possibly something with ham and mushrooms - they both have to be used up. I would normally have made something creamy, but I've gone off cream, for some reason - makes me feel nauseous although yoghurt is still OK but I'm not sure that yoghurt goes very well with ham and mushrooms. Whatever it is, it will be quick because I'm not much in the mood for either food prep or consuming.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
So glad you are recovering, must try your version of tuna melt, so much quicker than the recipe I currently use. Mocha mug cake sounds good too... ?
Would you post the recipe for that mocha mug cake please? Am craving sweet stuff at the moment, a LC cake would be really useful.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was not the best yesterday - we were out for the day/night (cancelled music festival).

Started off with hemp heart faux-oats, a handful of pecans plus the remaining raspberries and blackberries from my fridge for breakfast. As we were out, it was a Wetherspoons mixed grill (minus the chips - the others in my group were very grateful).

As we were out for the football, I managed to get a portion of Southern Fried Chicken Strips with some coleslaw for dinner, washed down with water and a celebratory Vodka, soda and lime.

I don't feel like I've really been very good, but my readings this morning were around normal (especially given that I don't feel that good with this cold), and I helped mitigate my feelings with the nearly 12 miles of walking yesterday!

I don’t think your food day sounds that bad at all, don’t be so hard on yourself. The walking always seems to help if things go off piste anyway. Hope the cold clears up soon.

Reactions: garyclark82

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully finished eating today:
Started with blue muffins for breakfast- we are joining this https://joinzoe.com/bluepoop/bake-blue-muffins @maglil55 did you see the link on the Zoe app? They are now doing research into gut biome and the relationship with metabolic disorders which have plagued us in the last 50 yrs or so. You eat muffins ( I made l/c ones obvs) add blue food colouring and time the transit! I just found the lowest carb cupcake recipe I could (1g carb each cake) and made those. Surprisingly lovely.
Dinner/lunch (3-5 while listening to Sounds of the 70s as always) slow roast belly pork joint, roast sprouts, broccoli and buttered cabbage.
I’m getting a dab hand at James Martin’s Yorkshire pud recipe for the rest of the family - they are fab but I’m not really tempted to taste them, I just like the satisfaction of making them and seeing them rise so well.
25g hazelnuts at some point in the day too

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in a bit of a quandry. Had a very lazy afternoon but still feeling tired and definitely not hungry. The way I am eating should be good for both my BG and my weight. BG is improving slightly and I think that is due to taking my basal insulin in the mornings. However, when I don't have breakfast very early, my BG goes high (sometimes ridiculously so). This has been made clear by my Libre with consistent high readings before noon. So I have had a thought that, if I have my breakfast (and insulin) early, I could get that early BG under control. But it occurs to me that then, if I have breakfast and my 2nd meal earlier in the day, my BG might go high in the evening and night.

So - I have to think this through. Whatever I decide, I'll have no more than a snack tonight and forget the ham and mushrooms.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mocha mug cake sounds good too...
Just a standard lc mug cake but with less cocoa and adding half a teaspoon instant coffee
15-20g cocoa, 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee (optional) 10g sweetener, half a teaspoon baking powder, splash of cream or almond milk, an egg. Blitz together or stir with a fork, microwave for 1 minute, longer if middle still too runny.
To make it stretch to 2 hungry people I add 2 tablespoons ground almond and another egg and cook it in a bigger container

Reactions: Annb

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tmad today!
Brunch of 4 rashers bacon (so crispy aka nearly burnt), 1 sausage and 2 scrambled eggs, half an avocado (didnt need the latter but ot was ripe, never happens when you want one)
D: stir fry of cabbage, green beans and courgette with precooked chicken and sausage, livened up with some cumin, coriander, ginger and garam massage
One proper choclate éclair, at 12g carbs, hopefully not too bad on the bg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hopefully finished eating today:
Started with blue muffins for breakfast- we are joining this https://joinzoe.com/bluepoop/bake-blue-muffins @maglil55 did you see the link on the Zoe app? They are now doing research into gut biome and the relationship with metabolic disorders which have plagued us in the last 50 yrs or so. You eat muffins ( I made l/c ones obvs) add blue food colouring and time the transit! I just found the lowest carb cupcake recipe I could (1g carb each cake) and made those. Surprisingly lovely.
Dinner/lunch (3-5 while listening to Sounds of the 70s as always) slow roast belly pork joint, roast sprouts, broccoli and buttered cabbage.
I’m getting a dab hand at James Martin’s Yorkshire pud recipe for the rest of the family - they are fab but I’m not really tempted to taste them, I just like the satisfaction of making them and seeing them rise so well.
25g hazelnuts at some point in the day too
What recipe did you use for 1g muffins? I hadn't noticed the link but I have now!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday 2 July - bed 6.4 FBG 6.6. Hubby's birthday today so I headed down to butcher's early on. I then got really organised and did a click and collect order for Saturday morning.
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing - was bemoaning the fact that Hubby's present hadn't arrived (nor the backup) then both appeared at once!
D. Rib eye with cauli rosti type thing, mushroom, tomato, peas and mustard.
Enjoyed one from Hubby's proper present - got him a Craft Gin Club subscription - an American gin (very botanical) with dried lime & blueberries, a dash of peach tea syrup and mine had diet lemonade in it (Hubby had the lemonade mixer supplied in the box. I can't take the quantities of syrup they suggest but the dash didn't hurt. You are liable to be seeing some gin concoctions appearing!

@MrsA2 - glad you are recovering and, I popped into Lidl yesterday on the way home and they had the dark raspberry choc bars again - so I got 6! Stopped in on the way back from the butcher's and got another 6. However, I'd mistakenly got the hazelnut very - which Hubby now has. Ah well, it was his birthday.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Very enjoyable little (him, a friend of his, his 16 year old son and myself) party at my neighbour yesterday. Had lots of grilled meat at the campfire, some roasted onion and pepper, garlic olives, a single thin slice of baguette with garlic butter, cherry tomatoes, various cheeses and lots of whisky.

So today I didn't feel like cooking (or doing anything at all, for that matter) so I had a package of instant noodle soup.
Left out the noodles and added some bok choy, snow peas, surimi and fried garlicy shrimps (no messing with garlic, I bought them with the garlic coating and all).

Not sure how this works, psychologically, but it really does feel like I haven't cooked and still had a very nice meal! :hilarious:

213058412_10223835352586085_1540783196874686775_n.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday 3 July - bed 5.2 FBG 6

@DJC3 - I can indeed access your CMT. I've just added an adapted aubergine and goats cheese stack to mine today. Thanks for the muffin link. They certainly look quick. How about red muffins for Christmas?

B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with chilli chicken and Dairylea.
L. Busy unpacking the shopping and putting it away after my click and collect journey.
D. A cold cut evening. Slice each ox tongue, leg of pork, haslet, mortadella, mini mozzarella, santini tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, coronation chicken , boiled egg, coleslaw. Lime chia pudding and a few raspberries.

@Annb - have you had you blood results yet?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just a standard lc mug cake but with less cocoa and adding half a teaspoon instant coffee
15-20g cocoa, 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee (optional) 10g sweetener, half a teaspoon baking powder, splash of cream or almond milk, an egg. Blitz together or stir with a fork, microwave for 1 minute, longer if middle still too runny.
To make it stretch to 2 hungry people I add 2 tablespoons ground almond and another egg and cook it in a bigger container
Sounds good to me, too tired to try tonight though.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturday 3 July - bed 5.2 FBG 6

@DJC3 - I can indeed access your CMT. I've just added an adapted aubergine and goats cheese stack to mine today. Thanks for the muffin link. They certainly look quick. How about red muffins for Christmas?

/QUOTE]

Maybe red ones and green ones?
Glad you can see my CMT I need to check yours out again, I love aubergine and my local Co op has started stocking them recently. The app was down so long I forgot about the treasure trove of recipes people on here have.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb - have you had you blood results yet?

No - no results back yet. I've been phoning all sorts of health people recently (dentists, GP, hospital) and haven't got around to phoning diabetic nurse yet to find results of the c-peptide test. 2 other blood tests done since so I have yet to get those results.

My snack was just small slices of ham - the mushrooms are still in the fridge.

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last full day of holibobs, home tomorrow afternoon :(
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Brie and a leafy salad followed by SF cherry jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.
Mid afternoon: coconut cappuccino and a raspberry phd bar.
Dinner at an American bar and grill, sheer fluke that I booked it on American Independence Day!: oven baked salmon with peppercorn sauce, salad and six chips! Followed by peanut chocolate DGF brownie and cream back at our lodge.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Breakfast CWC x2 , nut granola
CwC 2 choc biscuits, chunk of cheese
Lunch, 2 ryvita type crackers with pâté, cucumber, 4 cherry tomatoes , cup of tea
Tea
Dinner chorizo melt, few oven chips ( bout a dozen of the matchstick type) 2 moules provencàle style, pile of French beans attempting to make up for the lack of bread and chips. Small piece of bread with loads of butter, 2 glasses of fizz. MrSlim has decided that decent fizz is less expensive than good red wine, and its sumner so chilled is good. Seems we will be drinking more fizz.
Small portion of ff Greek yoghurt mixed with smooth peanut butter. An experiment. Not sure it was successful.
Lemon tea at bedtime.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon and cheese omelette, mushrooms for breakfast.
Chicken drumsticks, pot of lemon OsmoLax for lunch.
Fish cakes and green veggies, sugar free lime jelly and a small spoonful of lime / lemon sorbet for dinner.

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox what do you have in your low carb coconut "porridge" please? Is there a recipe online for it?

Yesterday we returned from our night out in Southend except there was drama as had to take partner to hospital for a badly sprained foot!

Breakfast was a less than leisurely McDonalds double sausage and egg McMuffin (had expected to find a nice cafe but circumstances, eh?)
Lunch was a mixed salad with mackerel in tomato sauce followed up by a Grenade Killa bar (the peanut one, was quite nice!)
Dinner was a chicken leg with coleslaw, gherkins & pickled onions followed up with a Kvarg Raspberry and some blueberries