What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

D

debrasue

B- peanut 9 bar. L- Sausages, bacon, low sugar beans, egg, mushrooms, a lidl protein roll. Ummm .. and a Lidl jam doughut. ( needless to say bloods stupidly high (10.1) D - will be a small portion of Skyr yogurt and raspberries. S - 2 squares of 70% .. Do you guys think its ok to treat yourself (Just once a week), like after dinner on a Sunday have a dessert or a cake?
I don't know what those with more experience will say, but I have been having dessert and cakes all along, except I've been making @ewelina's low-carb ones on her blog (http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/). I made her Lemon Cake today with a lemon juice and stevia drizzle on the top, and it was really scrummy!
I was advised here very early on to squash any cravings with something HF and satisfying, (chunks of cheese, raspberries & double cream, eggs & bacon - or whatever floats your boat), otherwise they would come back to bite me in the bum, which is probably what happened with your jam doughnut! :)
Do have a look at ewelina's blog - there are some really nice recipes on there and they aren't difficult to make. You can treat yourself to something yummy and still keep your BGs (and your halo) in check! xx
:joyful:

Reactions: 2 people
D

debrasue

God I wish I could even get a 7.7, my fasting this morning was 19.0. :***:
Oh, you poor little thing! Keep your chin up - you're having a rotten time of it at the moment but things will get better, I'm sure. Sending big hugs xx

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know what those with more experience will say, but I have been having dessert and cakes all along, except I've been making @ewelina's low-carb ones on her blog (http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/). I made her Lemon Cake today with a lemon juice and stevia drizzle on the top, and it was really scrummy!
I was advised here very early on to squash any cravings with something HF and satisfying, (chunks of cheese, raspberries & double cream, eggs & bacon - or whatever floats your boat), otherwise they would come back to bite me in the bum, which is probably what happened with your jam doughnut! :)
Do have a look at ewelina's blog - there are some really nice recipes on there and they aren't difficult to make. You can treat yourself to something yummy and still keep your BGs (and your halo) in check! xx
:joyful:
I'm glad you liked the cake :) I forgot about the drizzle on the top!

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@TracyC I nearly always have a dessert and do lots of baking too. I use nut flour instead of wheat flour and xylitol or similar instead of sugar. There are loads of recipes for low carb baking on the internet. It's a good idea to bake something that you can put in the freezer in individual portions so you don't eat a WHOLE cake in one go!:D It is not unknown for me to have cake and cream for breakfast:wideyed:

Reactions: 3 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: chocolate chia seed muffin, coconut yoghurt
L: Lidl roll and selection of cheese. A lot of cheese!!
D: prawn & chorizo with lime and garlic, buttered courgetti

Reactions: 5 people

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
@TracyC I nearly always have a dessert and do lots of baking too. I use nut flour instead of wheat flour and xylitol or similar instead of sugar. There are loads of recipes for low carb baking on the internet. It's a good idea to bake something that you can put in the freezer in individual portions so you don't eat a WHOLE cake in one go!:D It is not unknown for me to have cake and cream for breakfast:wideyed:
lol, love this post, cake and cream for breakfast sounds wonderful. Though after having the doughnut with dinner i took my bloods before 6.2....and hour later 10.1 ( oh my gosh ) then I went for a walk... came home feeling a wee bit shaky, roughly an hour after i got the 10.1 reading i tested again and now Im 4.2 ...never been that low before, still a little shaky now not a pleasant feeling, and very surprising given the high bg earlier.. :/

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody
B. Raspberries and Lidl Turkish yoghurt

L. Lidl roll toasted with pate

D. Roast Iceland chicken with carrots, onions, sprouts and gravy. Yum.

@ewelina , @TracyC my favourites are th recipes for ricotta cake and blueberry muffins. Fantastic!

Reactions: 4 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm glad you liked the cake :) I forgot about the drizzle on the top!
I have just been back on to your blog and added some more of your lovely bakes to my Pintrest board :) So many cakes to try out now - a month's worth of breakfasts at least :joyful:

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just been back on to your blog and added some more of your lovely bakes to my Pintrest board :) So many cakes to try out now - a month's worth of breakfasts at least :joyful:
I need to do some more bakes. Blog looks a bit dead now :( Thank you for pinning my recipes :)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Travelled to Birmingham and back today, working on a rental property, lots of shifting stuff! Was doing well and keeping fed until I bought a Divine Chocolate 70% ginger and orange at the motorway services. Ate 6 pieces earlier, just eaten the rest ...

Now I know why I only usually have 85% dark chocolate ... 2 pieces gentle melting in my mouth satisfy the desire ...

Very disappointed in myself now, and interested to see how my BG is in 2 hours ☹️

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B- peanut 9 bar. L- Sausages, bacon, low sugar beans, egg, mushrooms, a lidl protein roll. Ummm .. and a Lidl jam doughut. ( needless to say bloods stupidly high (10.1) D - will be a small portion of Skyr yogurt and raspberries. S - 2 squares of 70% .. Do you guys think its ok to treat yourself (Just once a week), like after dinner on a Sunday have a dessert or a cake?

I think treats are ok, but maybe look at what you consider a treat? I wouldn't eat a cake now - my BG's would be so bad I think. I did make a sugar free mousse recently (sugar free jelly and double cream), it was awesome and so tasty. So I'd consider that a treat for me. Everything in moderation though - if a cake works with you good luck - I'm jealous

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
YESTERDAY SUNDAY
B 1 poached egg / 2 slices of Hovis 5 seeded bread
L Greek Turkish yogurt / Linseed and gogi berry mix / raspberries.
S A few unsalted cashew nuts
D Homemade stew with veggies / Greek yogurt with Linseed and gogi berry mix with raspberries.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
S Coffee N Cream
B Small Steak, Egg & Tomato
S Coffee N Cream
L Chicken and Corn Soup (Sensational but 31g carb)
D Chicken and Corn Soup (Couldn't help it 1 x White Bread Roll 100g and butter)

Carbs 117
Didn't test BG afterwards ( I think I was too embarrassed) and while I enjoyed the idea it wasn't heavenly and in fact made me uncomfortably full. Did test this morning and 4.3 so no real damage done but I am hoping this is not the unravelling

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but today I had to use it (according to the instructions on the diet) for frying - I hated it -

Are there Instructions ?

I only fry eggs, I always grill bacon and chipolatas, tomatoes and mushrooms etc etc.

The LCHF diet is about what you eat, not how you cook it.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunday....

B: Scrambled Eggs, Bacon, Tomato, Tea
L: Smoked Salmon, Dollop of cream cheese, capers, salad leafs, olive oil and lemon
S: Bag of Walkers Crinkles (first in over a year)
D: Lamb leg cooked on the BBQ, with Cauliflower Puree, Brocolli, Green Beans and something else which I have forgotten.

Shared a bottle of Shiraz, which is quite restrained for me