What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Oh! My! Goodness!!! They both look stunning.

Ta muchly x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That whole website is a gustatory delight.

Although I have to confess that my Orange cake didn't look much like that. lol.
I did it flat, in a single 9 inch tin, then used ordinary orange, not blood orange for the drizzly stuff - which I poured over the cake as it cooled in the tin - basically doing a drizzle cake thing so the liquid soaked into the cake and made it even moisterer.
:D
It made 8 ENORMOUS slices, in that format. I can never understand how ppl claim that a cake can be cut into odd numbers of slices, do you? it is just easier to cut into evens...

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That whole website is a gustatory delight.

Although I have to confess that my Orange cake didn't look much like that. lol.
I did it flat, in a single 9 inch tin, then used ordinary orange, not blood orange for the drizzly stuff - which I poured over the cake as it cooled in the tin - basically doing a drizzle cake thing so the liquid soaked into the cake and made it even moisterer.
:D
It made 8 ENORMOUS slices, in that format. I can never understand how ppl claim that a cake can be cut into odd numbers of slices, do you? it is just easier to cut into evens...
Just don't lose your head! I may have to join you in this cake revolution as I feel in need of cake with this stinking cold. At least the hot vegetable boullion was pleasant and comforting to drink. Changed lunch slightly- had a bit smoked salmon with lettuce, 1/2 avocado and 24g of M&S Cornish cove cheese. At least my BG is back at 6.4 - maybe all this paracetamol and First Defence is helping.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mine is still high but most of the other symptoms are slowly going away apart from the headache. I think the new dog is to blame for that - the other two instinctively know to be calm and restful if I'm not 100% whereas the new dog has spent the best part of the afternoon chasing his tail or tormenting the other two. He's a year old black Labrador behaving like 6 week old kitten - still, I'm getting used to him.

I thought, as well as the cake, I thought I'd copy or print out some of my favourite recipes and put together list of websites I've found helpful. What do you think? I don't want to offend her. I only know her to say hello to, the only reason we got talking today was because she was crying.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine is still high but most of the other symptoms are slowly going away apart from the headache. I think the new dog is to blame for that - the other two instinctively know to be calm and restful if I'm not 100% whereas the new dog has spent the best part of the afternoon chasing his tail or tormenting the other two. He's a year old black Labrador behaving like 6 week old kitten - still, I'm getting used to him.

I thought, as well as the cake, I thought I'd copy or print out some of my favourite recipes and put together list of websites I've found helpful. What do you think? I don't want to offend her. I only know her to say hello to, the only reason we got talking today was because she was crying.
I know I wouldn't be offended. I suppose it is down to how it is presented. I would go down the line of "people keep asking me for recipes - if you are interested I have copies of some of my favourites?"

Unlike my dear departed MIL who took no prisoners. eg Nice dress - shame it shows every lump and bump.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Red berries with yoghurt

L. Bacon, egg , 2 sausages and mushrooms. Eating out.

D. Indian restaurant. 1 popadom. King prawn tikka with salad. Main course chicken tikka with salad. :)

I have a pomegranate pot for later.:)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Chook is your meeting with HR on tomorrow? If yes then I hope it goes well for you.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today Tuesday

L: Tuna Mayo and salad
S: Another bag of peanuts:shifty:
D: Sea Bass in butter sauce, spinach, peas, celeriac mash and a glass of sauvignon touraine.

From today I have to cut back with a view to 4 weeks of VLCD to try and nudge my BG down starting next monday

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Chook is your meeting with HR on tomorrow? If yes then I hope it goes well for you.
Yes, :( I'm trying to keep occupied so I don't think about it.:( I keep thinking that there won't be any surprises because my husband has to hold these sort of meetings where he works and we've talked through the way the meeting will go. It was bound to happen eventually, I'm just surprised it's taken them so long. I just wish they could do it by letter.

Unlike my dear departed MIL who took no prisoners. eg Nice dress - shame it shows every lump and bump.
My ex MIL used to always run her middle finger delicately along the one ledge or shelf I hadn't dusted that day and tut. I was so glad when she was out of my life.
From today I have to cut back with a view to 4 weeks of VLCD to try and nudge my BG down starting next monday

Good luck :) But you don't seem to eat that many carbs anyway.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Yesterday:

B: Raw Apple & Walnut Muesli w/Ground Flax, Diluted Cream & Blueberries
S: Celery Sticks & Cream Cheese
L: Roasted Red Pepper Soup & Salad of Baby Spinach, Haloumi, Olives, Pomegranate & Olive Oil
S: Flax Crackers w/Cheese, Avocado & Marmite
D: BBQ Chicken Drumsticks w/Cauliflower Cheese & Bacon Cabbage
S: Jelly, Strawberries & a drizzle of custard :-(

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Yesterday:

B: Raw Apple & Walnut Muesli w/Ground Flax, Diluted Cream & Blueberries
S: Celery Sticks & Cream Cheese
L: Roasted Red Pepper Soup & Salad of Baby Spinach, Haloumi, Olives, Pomegranate & Olive Oil
S: Flax Crackers w/Cheese, Avocado & Marmite
D: BBQ Chicken Drumsticks w/Cauliflower Cheese & Bacon Cabbage
S: Jelly, Strawberries & a drizzle of custard :-(
Sounds yum!!

Reactions: Lesleywo

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well, after all yesterday's worrying and a mainly sleepless night, it was a lot like the previous welfare meetings I've had to attend - the only difference was they had a list of all current job vacancies and we went through them all to see if there was a job I could do in my current arthritic state. The only one that fits my qualifications and physical ability is as training and business development manager which doesn't really appeal to me (AND its four grades above my current job) so I know I won't get it but they want me to apply and I'm guaranteed an interview.

And I was so ready to join the ranks of the unemployed.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today (I've been comfort eating)

Breakfast: Small handful of blueberries and 100g Asda full fat Greek yoghurt

Snack: Slice of low carb fruit cake

Lunch: Bag of The Posh Pig chorizo flavoured pork scratchings

Dinner: Asda Green Thai Prawn curry with cauliflower rice

Snack: Glass of wine (or possibly two)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, after all yesterday's worrying and a mainly sleepless night, it was a lot like the previous welfare meetings I've had to attend - the only difference was they had a list of all current job vacancies and we went through them all to see if there was a job I could do in my current arthritic state. The only one that fits my qualifications and physical ability is as training and business development manager which doesn't really appeal to me (AND its four grades above my current job) so I know I won't get it but they want me to apply and I'm guaranteed an interview.

And I was so ready to join the ranks of the unemployed.

Chook, if you don't mind I'll PM you as I don't want to derail this thread, specifically for what we might be eating; unless you would prefer feedback on your requirement to apply for this T&D job. If you would like interactive feedback, could you start a thread, and I'll respond there? (I'll wait a while before sending any message.)

On the eating front, I fancy chorizo pork scratchings. I love chorizo.

I have some some pork rind I must remove from a piece of shoulder before it goes into my Instant Pot,to make pulled gammon, so I could experiment with different spices this time.

Hmmmmmm.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe what recipe/method do you use for your crackling?

I am going to have some shoulder rind tomorrow. :D

I've tried various. For some time, I stuck with the one from the Guardian, which does work, but last time, I just put it into a cool-ish oven (about 160 fan, if I recall) and kept a bit of an eye on it. It didn't take too long, and I was in the kitchen doing other things at the time, so time just drifted on.
I'd do the latter again next time. The lower temperature rendered lots of the fat out of the lower layer, fairly quickly, but if I got bored of waiting, I'd happily ramp up the oven to crackle it.

I used (always) my microwave combi oven so I wasn't heating a large void for a few scratchings.

It's important to leave the rind at room temperature for a while beforehand so that the skin surface dries. I sometimes apply seasoning/spices, just to the lower (fat) side first, then after a while, I'll sprinkle some on the top side.

The Guardian recipe is here: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/aug/23/homemade-pork-scratchings-picnic-family

Reactions: Brunneria