What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you know how much insulin is needed for what you eat, there is no reason not to treat yourself with potatoe salad, macaroni, a piece of cake or donut once in a while. If done once a meal a week, your blood sugar level will turn to normal in 24 hours. This takes a few weeks of trial and error, good measurement of sugar levels in blood, and you're done!

And those of us who don't inject insulin use other methods - including low carbing, which we focus on in this thread. :)

Reactions: 2 people

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Is 85% dark choc low in carbs? What about 70% ? Thanks.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is 85% dark choc low in carbs? What about 70% ? Thanks.

:). Oh yeah! Lovely stuff. And (for me) a couple of squares is usually enough. Which is a refreshing change from when my milk choc habit used to rule my life! ;)

Reactions: 5 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B green tea, oatmeal with skimmed milk,

L two boiled eggs and some chicken ( mixed parts white and fatty parts )

D Fetta cheese, few green olives, green tea and few pieces of whole grain crackers to get ready for my workout.

Keep water around all day long, maybe a piece of candy during or after workout to eliminate possible hypo. i always keep my blood sugar level in the norms despite the piece of sugar because of exercises.

I would observe there is not a whole of food in your meals, are you crashing some weight loss? Be interested to know

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 2 x snickerdoodle crepes http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast-recipe-snickerdoodle-crepes-low-carb.html with strawberries (home grown, first ever :)) and double cream
L: bacon and avocado muffins with cream cheese
D: harissa chicken (with onions, green beans, red peppers, olives, goats cheese) served with cauliflower rice fried in coconut oil with pine nuts and cinnamon.

Snack: lamb and mint chipolata sausages + mayo!

Full day of gardening today so was feeling quite hungry!

Reactions: 8 people

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Greek yog, berries, few nuts and seeds
Exercise (yes, me!) 1 hour walking
L: dry roasted peanuts
D: steak and butter-drenched savoy cabbage, large glass of red

Reactions: 4 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Yog, rasps and pecans and black coffee.
L: (out) cheese and leek flan and salad
D: Lamb curry, carrot almond hazelnut pine nut pomegranate salad and aubergines.... pant pant to aubergines... a glass of red wine.
Lots of water

Reactions: 6 people

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Greek yoghurt, raspberries & flaked almonds, coffee & cream;
L: HM minted pea soup & half a Lidl high protein roll, coffee & cream;
S: Pate on buttered cracker;
D: Rump steak, fried onions & mushrooms, salad & mayo, 5 air fried chips, last of raspberries & cream. Coffee & cream later.

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hankjam,
Yes I eat less to shed pounds, it works, but not that easy to follow thoroughly since my father brings all the forbidden pastry home to binge! Weirdly, I discovered that having a little piece of chocolate, marmelade, or cake an hour before workout is very good for keeping a perfect workout session: just one regular bite size. Else, I'd come to the verge of collapse through the end of my workout (55-60 mins. session)

I workout at nights, at home with a small room turned into a microgym ! Elliptic bicycle for cardio, and a weightlifting station for anaerobics, because I work until 8 p.m., eat in 30 minutes, and workout an hour later. Night workouts, I believe, is also good for keeping your metabolism running higher than normal even if you are at sleep - just my idea. Though I don't have other option for workout, I am not a morning person.

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would observe there is not a whole of food in your meals, are you crashing some weight loss? Be interested to know
hankjam,
Yes I eat less to shed pounds, it works, but not that easy to follow thoroughly since my father brings all the forbidden pastry home to binge! Weirdly, I discovered that having a little piece of chocolate, marmelade, or cake an hour before workout is very good for keeping a perfect workout session: just one regular bite size. Else, I'd come to the verge of collapse through the end of my workout (55-60 mins. session)

I workout at nights, at home with a small room turned into a microgym ! Elliptic bicycle for cardio, and a weightlifting station for anaerobics, because I work until 8 p.m., eat in 30 minutes, and workout an hour later. Night workouts, I believe, is also good for keeping your metabolism running higher than normal even if you are at sleep - just my idea. Though I don't have other option for workout, I am not a morning person.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon and coffee with cream
No L
S: home made coconut yog choc/vanilla chia pudding
D: mug of beef broth (with cream) and a bit more chia pud

If I get peckish at bedtime, I will have some peanut butter.

Haven't felt hungry all day. Brilliant.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 2 eggs scrambled, 2 rashers of bacon, 2 tesco finest chipolatas, tomato, mushroom & 2 x mugs strong tea w/ splash skimmed milk
L: 2 slices Parma ham, extra strong cheddar, Brie, coleslaw & 3 olives
D: (will be) Roast pork, various green vegetables and glass or two of red wine, and maybe 2 squares of 85%

Reactions: 4 people

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Typical Weekend Meals

B: 2 slices Livlife Lowcarb Bread, Butter, 2 poached eggs, 2 rashers of bacon, Coffee
L: Roast chicken, 120g mix of coleslaw and potato salad
D: Steak, Salad + boiled egg
S: Green&Blacks 15g choc bar , Coffee

About 55g carbs for the day

I track my meals on MyFitnessPal - scanning barcodes and keeping an accurate food diary

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: yog, rasps, pecans...
L: 3 duck egg omelette, cheese, chives, watercress and a slice of black pudding
D: Rib of beef roasted with cauliflower, green beans in tom sauce, red wine (Two Hands) and lots of water, 1 chocolate
Later.... some rasps.
Off for a walk soon.....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: divine breakfast omelette (egg, cheese, bacon, sausage, mushroom, black pudding) coffee n cream
L: (at 3pm) steak tomato, mozarella, samphire, spring onion, olives and extra virgin olive oil
D: beef broth, 9 bar,

May have choc/vanilla chia pud later

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Greek yog and berries
L (at Mother's): Roast turkey, Black Farmer chipolatas wrapped in parma ham, cabbage in butter, few carrots, mashed swede, 2 steamed jersey royals, (no gravy) Cheesecake topping with xylitol, glass of red wine
Exercise: wander round local park whilst digesting that feast!
D: handful of dry roasted peanuts

MFP records this as my highest calorie day in the last 3 months, but carbs still only 63g so I think I did ok ;)

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 2 eggs, chorizo, mushrooms - all fried in butter

L: missed

D: Lidl kangaroo steak (!), German sausage, roast aubergine with homemade hummus; wedge of Brie, raspberries

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday was:
B: Half LIDL high protein roll with almond butter (5.4 before, 8.0 two hours later). Not pleased, but will try the other half one lunchtime)
L: Omlette with asparagus in parma ham
D: Roast chicken leg, broccoli and samphire in butter & a small new potato followed by berries and cream.

Last edited by a moderator:

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@vintageutopia would you mind sharing your recipe for the lemon cheesecake fat bomb please? I am intrigued, thanks :)

@Tweetypie Sorry, I haven't been online for a few days... here is the recipe. I don't use Splenda as it suggests, but rather liquid Stevia. When I make them, I make a double batch and freeze them. They last well in the freezer.

Zesty Lemon Cheesecake Fat Bombs
Makes 14 Servings | Per Serving: Cal 92, Net Carbs <1

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 4 tbsp grass-fed butter, softened
  • 4 oz softened cream cheese
  • zest of 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp Splenda
Instructions

Blend all ingredients with a hand mixer until smooth.

Pour into cupcake liners, tins or molds and freeze until firm, at least a few hours, preferably overnight.