What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great news, congratulations. Nosey mare question - what are they calling her?
Many thanks. No name yet both mum and dad still in shock and exhausted. Both were convinced they were going to have a boy ( didn't know sex in advance). All I can say is she is beautiful X

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yesterday, it sure seemed to be day of abundant good news.

@hca -- Congrats on becoming a grandparent. I am sure you will spent many, many happy hours with your little granddaughter.
@Chook -- I am happy for you for your weight loss.
@Goonergal -- Brilliant for hitting the 5 stone weightloss milestone -- must have been quite a bit of hard work.
@mo53 -- Good to have you back. Looking forward to your posts.

Friday:

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol.

Lunch: Tuna sashimi (about 125g), a sauce of soy sauce with sambal oelek, an avocado and a low-carb roll with butter.

Snack: A couple of home-made low-carb peanut butter cookies, which were inspired by a post here yesterday.

Dinner: Left-over fish in a coconut sauce with eggplant, bellpepper and lemon. Left-over low-carb ravioli filled with spinach, onion and feta. One glass of red wine.
Many thanks X

Reactions: ziggy_w

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wednesday....

Breakfast: Black decaff coffee

Lunch: Black decaff coffee

Dinner: Bigos - someone on this forum said they'd made it and I googled it. It turned out to be a very easy to make, satisfyiing and totally scrumptious stew - this is the recipe I used http://www.hairybikers.com/recipes/view/bigos-stew#dKhjVk0hT9Iqk1YF.97 I made it with mutton that I had lurking at the bottom of my biggest freezer.

I also had (for dessert) 50g Alpro Chocolate and Hazelnut ice cream

Drinks (apart from the aforementioned coffee) was sparkling mineral water
Thankyou for the link to Bigos stew. Am always looking for new tasty recipes that can be made in advance. Will try this one next week me thinks X

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting day today.

Breakfast - none
Lunch - none
Dinner - in the oven. Brined, marinated chicken (marinated in cream, garlic, onion and various herbs) with cauliflower cheese; 2 squares Lindt 90%

Chocolate chia pudding also prepared for tomorrow/later in the week.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Chook

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
B. Coffee
L. Broccoli and Stilton soup a ham roll cup tea
E.M. Paprika chicken and cheese mash small portion cup tea
Snack this afternoon out with hubby coffee and half a scone with butter
Coffee around 8 pm.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well my good BGs continue. Bed on 4.6 FBG 4.7 and the DP turned at 5.5 this morning. Going out shortly to shop for tomorrow's dinner and I'm going to have a slice of toast before I go - so only 16 hrs on today's fast. Feeling really hungry when I got up and water isn't doing it for me. Cabbage must have worn off! I'm still getting the red line dips overnight on the Libre reading into the 2's but not a shock now. Sensor due to be changed tomorrow anyway. Note to self though - always remember when you have eaten beetroot to avoid a toilet visit shock.
B/L slice of Hovis lower carb seeded with M&S reduced fat egg mayonnaise and 4 M&S Tre colori pomodori (best wee tomatoes I've tasted). Tassimo Americano Grande with a dash of cream
D. I think with be air fried chicken thighs with the remains of the biancoli and spinach.

Got all our clothes ready for going away next week for the annual gathering with my former work mates & spouses. If hubby goes near them I may have to remove his hands.

Edited - the clothes that is - not my former workmates and spouses
OK changed this. Had a rack of ribs for dinner rubbed with peri peri. Served with a tablespoon of coleslaw. Also had 4 tiny beets, 4 tre colori pomodori and sour cream and chive dip.
Keeping a close eye on my BGs. Was 4.8 on the jab before dinner (Libre was scanning at 4). Did another quick scan before eating and Libre had dropped to 3.2 (and an angry red again). Finger check was at 4 and Libre remains 0.8 under. Flaming Libre - wish the gap wouldn't keep changing. I'm not taking any meds that can cause a hypo but I did wonder about taking my pre dinner med. Sensor change tomorrow afternoon.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday....

Breakfast: Black decaff coffee

Lunch: Black decaff coffee

Dinner: Bigos - someone on this forum said they'd made it and I googled it. It turned out to be a very easy to make, satisfyiing and totally scrumptious stew - this is the recipe I used http://www.hairybikers.com/recipes/view/bigos-stew#dKhjVk0hT9Iqk1YF.97 I made it with mutton that I had lurking at the bottom of my biggest freezer.

I also had (for dessert) 50g Alpro Chocolate and Hazelnut ice cream

Drinks (apart from the aforementioned coffee) was sparkling mineral water
I saw bigos in a jar in Sainsbury's today.

Reactions: Chook

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made peanut butter cookies and gave them all away. Like blue cheese , peanut butter is a thing I think I should like, I really don't like but I keep on trying it just to make sure I really don't like it. Having said that I don't like any nut butters. Probably goes back to my aversion to nuts that have had anything done to them.

Hi @maglil55,

Honestly, I have to admit the peanut butter cookies didn't turn out all that well -- acceptable but no more than that. Sometimes almond flour just isn't the same as regular flour. Also, I probably should have used a bit more xylitol. Ah, well -- such is life.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Roast Beef & Ham & Sharp Cheddar Sammich
in Dr. Bernstein's Cheese Puff bread :)

1g per slice for the Cheese Puffs :). Next time I'll microwave like 5 second sless so it isn't as crackery :). But still was yummY! Nom Nom!

2vvv1vn.jpg

Hi @JenniferG,

Your photographs just look scrumptious. Thanks for posting them. Do you photograph professionally?

JenniferG

Hi @JenniferG,

Your photographs just look scrumptious. Thanks for posting them. Do you photograph professionally?

I have done professional food photography in the past. But these are just quickies with on camera flash reflecting off ceiling. In a pro setup, I'd use fancy dishes, place mats, table cloths, accents, and be really careful how I arrange the food. I'd use either natural light or a softbox with a professional flash (I Have a couple of Einstein e640's.) Also, I'd use appropriate reflectors etc.

Thanks for the complement :)

I mess around with other types of photography as well :) This one uses a gridded e640: (I play violin)

23maj3k.jpg

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have done professional food photography in the past. But these are just quickies with on camera flash reflecting off ceiling. In a pro setup, I'd use fancy dishes, place mats, table cloths, accents, and be really careful how I arrange the food. I'd use either natural light or a softbox with a professional flash (I Have a couple of Einstein e640's.) Also, I'd use appropriate reflectors etc.

Thanks for the complement :)

I mess around with other types of photography as well :) This one uses a gridded e640: (I play violin)

23maj3k.jpg

Hi Jennifer,

What a genuinely beautiful photograph. I almost feel as if I can feel the texture of the violin.

Way back when I did my Bachelor, I took two classes in photography. Really enjoyed developing my own black and white film and photographs. Somehow, the whole process of doing this by hand felt very satisfying. Now, everyone just seems to use digital cameras.

Does gridded e640 refer to the paper you used?

Please keep posting your photographs -- I really enjoy them.

JenniferG

Hi Jennifer,

What a genuinely beautiful photograph. I almost feel as if I can feel the texture of the violin.

Way back when I did my Bachelor, I took two classes in photography. Really enjoyed developing my own black and white film and photographs. Somehow, the whole process of doing this by hand felt very satisfying. Now, everyone just seems to use digital cameras.

Does gridded e640 refer to the paper you used?

Please keep posting your photographs -- I really enjoy them.

Thank you :) Yeah I developed some black and white film before, was very fun! :)

E640: http://paulcbuff.com/e640.php
Grid for it: http://paulcbuff.com/grids.php

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturday ...

Lunch: About 125g of tuna sashimi and soy sauce mixed with sambal oelek, half an avocado, half a homemade low-carb roll.

Dinner: Two glasses of wine at our favorite tapas place, manchego and fried sardines, half a low-carb roll (which I brought along) with aioli.

Late night snack: Two small low-carb peanut butter cookies.

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Saturday ...

Lunch: About 125g of tuna sashimi and soy sauce mixed with sambal oelek, half an avocado, half a homemade low-carb roll.

Dinner: Two glasses of wine at our favorite tapas place, manchego and fried sardines, half a low-carb roll (which I brought along) with aioli.

Late night snack: Two small low-carb peanut butter cookies.
Peanut butter cookie are my favorite cookies. For a late night snack I usually have some soda cracks with peanut butter on them.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Saturday...

Breakfast: Two rashers of bacon and one dry fried egg

Lunch: 150g fresh raspberries

Dinner: Steak with lettuce / tomato / red onion salad and garlic dip

Dessert: my usual Alpro choc and hazelnut icecream

Drinks: Tassimo Kenco decaff coffee with breakfast, cup of decaff Yorkshire tea at lunch time and wine with dinner and during the evening. Not much water yesterday :(

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
Friday
B. Blackberries and cream
L. Camambert with walnuts
D. Indian restaurant. My sins were 2 popadoms and 1 Chapatii. Starter of mixed kebab with salad followed by tandoori special.

Saturday
B. Blackberries and cream
L. Bacon, egg, sausage , mushrooms and tomato.
But very thirsty later and desperate for a cold drink. I bought only drink available which was an orange juice. Not a drink I usually have but needs must! 20g of carb!! Horrors ! I won't do that again!
D. Camambert and walnuts. Strawberries and cream

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And it's Sunday again. I'll be away in a week for the annual jolly boy and girl outing with my former workmates so one more week of fasting to go. BGs continue in the 4's - bed 4.6 FBG 4.7. It has returned to Libre measuring 0.8 under although I'm currently waiting to get the measure of the new sensor. Only 18 hr fast today - had Brunch
B/L slice black pudding, 2 rashers back bacon, 2 Sainsbury's gluten free 97% sausages and a duck egg.
Tassimo Americano Grande with a dash of cream.
D. Usual campari and soda and a wee prosecco.
Diet Doctor garlic bread with chicken liver pate. Main is rib roast with romenesco , asperagus , gluten free Yorkshire pudding and must have horseradish. Need to get a chia pudding made.
New sensor is 0.2 under - best yet !