What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. Scrambled eggs with fennel, mushrooms and onions. Some low-carb chocolate mousse with whipped cream.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: One slice of quiche with red beets, smoked duck breast, pecans and camenbert. One glass of red wine.

@maglil55 -- Thanks for posting the recipes. The lemon-cloud pie looks delicious as do the goulash soup and the cauliflower mash.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ziggy what is sambal oelek and sate sauce, interesting meal I always find it curious what we eat and like knowing what different foods are. K

Hi @Granny_grump_,

I agree with you -- it is really exciting to see what everyone eats. I am learning so much.

Sambal oelek is a hot chili paste -- you can buy it in an Asian grocery store or the aisle containing Asian food stuff in a regular grocery store.

You can also buy sate sauce there, but the store-bought version has about 20g of carbs. So, I make my own. The recipe is quite simple. Fry some onions and garlic, add a can of coconut cream, some salt, some xylitol, some Chinese five-spice powder and three or four tablespoons of peanut butter. Cook a couple of minutes until it thickens. I figure it has about 5g of carbs per 100g. The sate sauce goes well with chicken breast.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How did it go? And how do you feel?

2 weeks... that must have been hard...

Hi @Brunneria

Thanks for asking. It was 2 weeks of 24 hour fasting - dinner to dinner. Although I’m within range of my initial target weight (2.8 kg to go), I’m still carrying a lot of weight around my middle, so this was an attempt to boost weight loss and see the impact on blood glucose levels of a longer period of intermittent fasting (I always skip breakfast and generally do a dinner to dinner fast 2-3 times a week).

It wasn’t overly difficult - there were a couple of days where I got really hungry, including yesterday, the final day. I actually changed my meal plan yesterday as I didn’t think the meal I’d planned would do the job, but managed to stick to the one meal.

Have now done a bit of analysis (comparing to the previous 2 weeks):

Average blood glucose levels during the past two weeks were 4.8, compared to 5.0 in the previous 2 weeks.
Weight loss was 1.8kg during the past two weeks, compared to 1.2kg in the previous 2 weeks.

However, most of those changes occurred in the second week - average blood glucose the past week was 4.6 and weight loss last week 1.4kg.

So nothing dramatic but definitely an effect and worth trying again. Now back to my usual regime, starting with a couple of days of eating lunch and dinner!

Think I will also post the results in the fasting forum - if that doesn’t count as duplicate posting.

SugarSpike

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast -
Bacon and scrambled egg in butter

Snack-
Full Fat Greek Yoghurt with Mixed Seeds, a few raspberries, and walnuts

Lunch-
Left over dinner, Pork Chop, broccoli and cauliflower, with some butter

Snack-
Low carb home-made lemon cheesecake (yum)

No sure on dinner yet

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Having a couple of days of indulgence following my fasting.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - Nando’s. Plain chicken leg with salad. Followed by a 40g bar of Coop 85% chocolate (10g carbs).

Dinner - more chicken. Finished off the M&S chicken souvlaki kebabs. Added some broccoli and followed with a few raspberries and cream.

In between I succumbed to another 40g of the Coop chocolate - it was 2 bars for a £ and the idea was to save for another day, but.... a prime example of why I no longer “stock” chocolate.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Breakfast coffee
Lunch carrot and coriander soup Marks and Spencer's 1 slice whole grain bread cup tea
Evening Meal leftover lamb sweet potato chips cauliflower green beans roast carrots gravy cup tea
Supper cup fruit tea
During day fruit teas water
K

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Breakfast Creamed decaf coffee.
Lunch Cheese salad.
Evening meal Steaming hot Chilli

Also tea and creamed coffee throughout the day on top of water.
Excellent levels today, feeling quite smug!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunday
huge breakfast out with gluten free sausages and toast. yum.
no lunch needed!
d: shoulder of lamb, butternut squash and sugarsnap peas, with a blob of vanilla haagen daas after

today
no B or L, just a repeat of the same dinner

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Monday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espresso with cream and xylitol.

Snack: Two squares of 85% chocolate and about six or seven pecans.

Dinner: Cornsalad with Caesar's dressing and parmesan. A wiener sausage. A slice of quiche with red beets, smoked duck breast, pecans and camenbert. Some homemade low-carb chocolate mousse with whipped cream. Half a glass of very dry red wine (1.9g of sugar per liter) -- yummy.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been having some bother with the forum ( and my BGs ) for 2 days.
Sunday night bed 5.7 FBG 6.7. Last night bed 6.7 FBG 7.4. May seem unremarkable but I've been going high overnight ( up to 8.8 ) for 2 nights. That is very unusual as normal for me is low overnight. Tends to suggest something is brewing.
Had to eat as BGs showed no sign of going down
Monday
B. Black coffee
L. That omelette again with tomato, courgetti, bacon, parsley and red Leicester. Discovered it only puts my BG up by 0.4 and it is under previous level at 2 hours.
D. Leftovers - small bowl of the goulash soup, leftover bits of liver with the new version of better than potato mash.
Today
B. Black coffee
L. That omelette agaìn
D. Trout fillet with roasted squash and sweet potato. Chia pudding and 6 raspberries.
Lots of water. BGs are fine during the day - it's night that's the problem. Weird.

Reactions: heh and Chook

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Breakfast usual cup coffee,water
Lunch hotpot slice bread and butter,shared a sweet with my sister (we had lunch out)
Evening Meal Tomato and basil soup slice bread and butter cup tea
BG this morning 6.2
BG before evening Meal 5.3 K

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: none
L: some belly pork that needed cooking.
D: homemade GF lasagne. I left the lasagne out of about 1/3 of the baking dish, so will have that bit. So we will end up with lasagne at one end and a kind of weird moussaka at the other. I get the moussaka. If it works OK I can do it again tomorrow, since I made a LOT of the mince. 2 aubergines, 4 peppers, 2 huge courgettes, 2 big onions, tomato paste, garlic and so on. No need for anything except some green salad with it.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tuesday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. Scrambled eggs with fennel, green onions, eggplant, mushrooms and lamb.

Also no snacks.

Getting home: One and half glasses of red wine.

Dinner: Cornsalad with Caesar's dressing and parmesan, a slice of quiche with red beets, camenbert, smoked duck breast and pecans, tuna sashimi with homemade dressing of low-carb honey, lime juice, mustard and soy sauce.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sunday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. Scrambled eggs with fennel, mushrooms and onions. Some low-carb chocolate mousse with whipped cream.

Dinner: One slice of quiche with red beets, smoked duck breast, pecans and camenbert. One glass of red wine.

@maglil55 -- Thanks for posting the recipes. The lemon-cloud pie looks delicious as do the goulash soup and the cauliflower mash.
I can categorically vouch for the deliciousness of all three. What I find amusing is hubby and brother know they were all low carb and have admitted they can be made again. The lemon cloud pie I've made more than once. This time I was using the egg whites if the 6 eggs to make low carb meringue which I cooked separately in the oven.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gee I've getting bored with this BG battle although I do have a sore throat now and legs in a bad way is usually a give away. So back on First Defence and paracetamol to keep it at bay.
I was fine until 8pm last night then the BGs shot up to 8.4 and stayed there. FBG back to 7 but then I got a DP that took me to 9.6. Had something to eat and it's on descent. Annoying though as I thought DP was behind me.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Wee slice black pudding, slice of Ayrshire middle bacon and a fried egg. Slice Hovis lower carb seeded with lurpack. (Gardeners were here doing the heavy bush cutting and tree surgery so There were bacon rolls to be made)
L. Nothing
D. The other trout fillet from yesterday with salad.
No boys tonight - Active Kids are running a 4 week free trial on karate so they are off to try that out. If they like it they can join up. No1 already tried football which he declared was his worst nightmare!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I think I’m deciding that one meal a day is easier to manage than two. Or maybe I’ve just taken the “feasting” element of two weeks on, two weeks off too literally! Eating low carb, but just too much.

Yesterday

No breakfast.

Lunch - in anticipation of new exercise class (HIIT rowing) in the evening, which was scheduled too early for me to eat dinner beforehand, went for small mixed chicken/lamb doner (no bread) and salad, followed by small bar Coop 85% chocolate.

Dinner - after said class, which ran over an hour late, was a pack of Awfully Posh pork crackling and 25g nuts. Had some Oppo ice cream and cream a bit later on.

Today

No breakfast

Lunch - planned on fasting but very hungry so had an assortment of low carb snacks as no time for a proper lunch break. Had a small pepperami, 30g nuts and 40g 85% chocolate.

Dinner is in the oven - chicken leg with a side of cauliflower cheese.

Edited to correct typo.

Last edited:

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Nothing to eat today but soon to have Two-quarter pounders on top of Romanian lettuce with melted cheese on top, cucumber some tomatoes radishes and gherkins. May have some broccoli also

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the heads up, @maglil55. Hope you feel a lot better soon.

Wednesday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol.

Lunch: A slice of quiche with red beets, camenbert, smoked duck breast and pecans

Snacks: Three mini-babybel cheeses, a handful of pecans, about three squares of 85% chocolate.

Getting home: One glass of red wine.

Dinner: Another slice of quiche with red beets, camenbert, smoked duck breast and pecans, tuna sashimi with homemade dressing of low-carb honey, lime juice, mustard and soy sauce.