What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 -- so glad to hear that your readings are coming down somewhat. Diabetes can be frustrating at times. I also agree that fennel tends to be a bit of an acquired taste -- a bit like licorice, but I also enjoy tarragon very much, which also tastes a bit like licorice in my opinion.

I don't like liquorice either but oddly I do like tarragon in cooking. I have a few oddities like that e.g. I love most nuts (not cashews in any form) so long as they are plain normal nuts. Toast them or salt them or do anything to them and even the smell makes me feel sick.
I'm just weird I reckon.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Playing catch up after a few days away visiting my dad/at an out of town meeting for work. Did much of the cooking at my dads but blood sugars up and down all over the place - higher than normal Saturday and Monday but very low all day on Sunday. Today saw a FBG of 3.8 but enormous liver dump (no food) up to 6 by 8am.

Saturday

No breakfast
Lunch at a carvery- turkey and gammon with cauliflower cheese (not very cheesy and way too much flour), green beans.
Dinner - made my own courgette bake (courgettes layered with fresh tomato and onion sauce and mozzarella). Seemed to go down well with my dad and his wife.

Sunday

No breakfast
Lunch - chicken pieces with cabbage, sprouts and broccoli followed by chocolate chia pudding with cream. Dads wife took the recipe for the pudding, so definitely a hit.
Dinner - fat head pizza. Made individual ones for all of us. Raspberries and cream.

Monday

No breakfast
Lunch - Pret A Manger Tuna Niçoise salad with mayonnaise. A few squares of Lindt 85%
Dinner - Nando’s while waiting for train at Birmingham New Street. 3 plain wings, plain chicken leg with salad.

Today

No breakfast
Lunch - out with colleagues who picked Nando’s! Had enough points for a free meal so went with a plain half chicken with salad
Dinner - not very hungry so just a portion of chocolate chia pudding with cream

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tea
B: Mushroom omelette
S: Small banana
L: Turkey butty on wholemeal, Activia NAS yogurt
T: Takeaway from the new Chinese that opened in town today.
Tea & coffee throughout the day.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: A 'burger' made from left over sausage meat after making Mr B some gluten free sausage rolls. Not a great success. Will use Fathead pastry next time, because GF pastry (from Tescos) is a cross between cardboard and leather, with less taste.
L: leftover curry (chicken and veg in Red Thai spices)
D: after just munching our way through a mountain of lasagna, I now give you... a lake of broccoli and Stilton soup. :D

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

Tuesday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. A slice of red-beet-quiche and half a low-carb roll with goat cream cheese and smoked sockeye salmon.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: A couple of macadamia nuts, one sugarfree Werther's Original.

Dinner: About 150g of liver, pak choi fried in garlic, ginger and sambal oelek, two quite large vegetable fritters made of zuchini, onions, cheddar cheese and egg, and two heaping tablespoons of low-carb mousse au chocolat with whipped cream.

@Goonergal -- Glad to see you back posting on this thread. How was your trip?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal -- Glad to see you back posting on this thread. How was your trip?

Thanks. Trip was good - at least the part with my dad and his wife. The subsequent work meeting was a waste r time, but fitted in some retail therapy while waiting for my train home. More new clothes!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today’s food:

Breakfast - none
Lunch - bag pork crackling, small bar Coop 85% chocolate
Dinner- bunless cheeseburger at Five Guys with lettuce tomato onions and mayo.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B Toasted cheese on home-made savoury biscuit, scrambled egg
L Grilled bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, half Lidl roll toasted
D Cauliflower cheese with other steamed veg; pud (2 hours later) mug cake

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Catchup again
Tuesday
Bed 6.3 FBG 6.9
B. 2 scrambled eggs Hovis lower carb seeded and lurpack. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
D. Spicy ribs again with sour cream dip.
Last of the Chia Pudding , 2 squares 90% and Urban Fruit coconut chips.
Today
Bed 6.8 FBG 6.8 too.
B. Slice Hovis lower carb seeded with Philadelphia and a slice of ham. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Marigold Swiss bouillon.
D. Lettuce, tomato, mozzarella pearls, salmon fillet, prawns, fresh anchovies, 1/2 avocado, baby beet.
Made another batch of Chia Pudding strawberry flavour this time.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Breakfast - none
Lunch - Pork crackling and small bar co-op 85% chocolate
Dinner - 2 Waitrose free range Cumberland sausages, 2 rashers bacon, 1 Birds Eye burger. Raspberries and cream.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All this talk of burgers confirmed what I wanted today! Bed 5.7 FBG 5.9 so happy BGs again.
B. Nothing
L. Nothing
(Had Sky coming in today. Finally succumbed to Sky Q on a decent deal).
D. Sky Q operational and succumbed to food!
1 M&S burger , 1 Slice M&S red Leicester, 1 baby beet, shredded lettuce, 3 tre colori pomadori, 1 tablespoon coleslaw, mushrooms , mustard and a few sweet potato chips. Couldn't finish it. Too much after not eating today.
Might have some chia pudding later.
Will now entertain myself with Hubby talking to the Sky remote.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening everyone.

Wednesday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. A hamburger with cheddar, pickles, onion, tomato with mustard, mayonnaise, and low-carb ketchup on a homemade low-carb bun.

Snack: Some macadamia nuts.

Dinner: Sockeye salmon with a homemade dip of lime juice, low-carb honey, mustard and soy sauce and a desert of low-carb chocolate mousse with double cream.

Edited to add: Forgot to mention the glass of red wine.

Last edited:

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good evening everyone

Breakfast

no added sugar alpro yogurt 150 ml
10g blended hemp seed with cinnamon
10g chia
8g walnuts
9g Brazil
Sprinkle of sweetener (alpro doesn’t taste too good now it’s unsweetened)

Lunch

Mixed lead salad
Strong cheddar cheese
Homemade low carb cheese scone (3g carb)

Tea

2 quarter pounder Angus beef burgers
Grilled courgette (livened up with a bit of chilli, salt and pepper)
Broccoli
Homemade low carb chocolate muffin (2g carb)

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B = Coffee
L = None
D = Chicken curry & riced broccoli
S = 2 slices Burgen bread toasted and topped with Gorgonzola.
Bottle of red wine consumed during the evening.
2 small bags of pork scratchings as snacks during the day.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

Thursday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. Two Wiener chicken sausages.

Snack: Two mini Babybel cheeses, two squares of 90% chocolate.

Before dinner: A glass of red wine.

Dinner: Two scrambled eggs with roasted eggplant, bellpepper, fennel and hamburger meat. A small cornsalad with Caesar's dressing and parmesan. A small serving of homemade low-carb chocolate mousse with whipped cream.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: none
L: broccoli and stilton soup
S: 72% choc
D: 2 bratwurst and a spoon of root veg mash
then I got hungry about 9pm and did some chicken wings with a dab of chipotle and smoked paprika marinade. Very nice. Guess I will have more of those today!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.3 FBG was also 6.3 - didn't last DP took me to 8.4 before it went into rapid descent (Aqua fit day).
B. Nothing
L. Omelette with 3 rashers streaky bacon, 4 cherry tomatoes, 1 GF sausage, mushrooms and parsley. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
D. Few sweet potato chips 4 mini chilli beetroot and M&S thick cut pork chop.
One last portion of chia pudding and a few raspberries.

Have been air frying chicken drumsticks and thighs and there is a wonderful smell of crispy chicken wafting through the house.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Breakfast - none
Lunch - pack of pork crunch, small bar co-op 85% chocolate.
Dinner - chicken leg with cauliflower cheese. Tried a few squares of Montezuma Absolute Black dark chocolate with almonds. Doesn’t easily split into 4 or 5 portions. One row of squares is roughly 17g and at 8g carb per 100g, very low carb. Not sure about the taste - bit of an acquired one I think.

Today was the last day of my 2 weeks “off” dieting. Gained roughly a pound in the two weeks (ate 2 meals a day every day) and blood sugars slightly up - about 0.3 mmols higher on average. Back on to one meal a day from tomorrow.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - 1 slice Hi lo bread with butter and marmite
L - a couple of homemade almond flour parmesan and thyme bites with some smoked salmon terraine
D - cod loin panfried with leeks, mushrooms and cream, served with broccoli
Drinks - couple of coffees with lactofree milk, sparkly water

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

Friday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. A small slice of red beet-camenbert quiche and a fritter made of zuchini,egg and potato fibers.

Snack: One mini Babybel cheese, two squares of 90% chocolate.

Dinner (out at our favorite tapas place): Two glasses of red wine. A handful of roasted and salted almonds, some fried sardines and a serving of manchego. After returning home, a small serving of homemade low-carb chocolate mousse with whipped cream