What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mongolia. Just wanted to ask a question about the coconut oil fudge. Ive heard a lot if good things about coconut oil but I cant stand coconut, just the smell of it makes me want to vomit. So, do you find any of the coconut smell or taste comes through when you are eating the fudge.?

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
I am wondering how long people maintain their locarb diet for. Is it a short or long term thing.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For myself it will be a lifelong thing. I enjoy the way I eat and it keeps me at non diabetic levels.

Reactions: 7 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Long term.. Best part of 50 years for me.. Way before it was called LCHF. I never did higher fat until last year.. Just brought up from a kid on fewer carbs... Never realised there was such a thing until I found this forum.

Reactions: 4 people

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Christinerm . You worked hard in the garden yesterday. I bet it looks beautiful. I'm going out shortly to start the same. Do you know the answer to my avocado question? When you did yours with tuna and cheese did you put it on top or scoop the avocado out? Thank you
I do mine the same way as Mongolia.

PS Garden still looks pretty wild!

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unless someone comes up with another workable solution to my various physical issues (inflammation, T2 and a couple of other insulin resistance raising accompaniments) then low carbing (with enough fat that I don't chew my own arm off) is a way of eating I will be doing for ever. :) I'm hoping not to do the escalating-drugs-leading-to-insulin thing. or at least delay it for as long as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 13 people

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Eggs and cheese baked in sweet pepper
S: 2 tsps almond butter
L: Avocado salad, chocolate cloud
D: Chicken breast in parma ham, small amount of roast new potatoes, sautéed kale followed by strawberries & cream and a bit of cheese.

Reactions: 7 people

hognose

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes, injections/needles.......veg salad fibromyalgia
yesterday
b 2x egg omlete 20g cheese,1 tomatoe
l. ham 100g,lettuce 1 leaf,5 slices of cucumber,20g cheese,1 tomatoe
s.couldnt help myself donner kebab with load of salad,salt an pepper no sauces, yikes
6 cups of coffee throughout the day

today so far /planed
b. tuna 50g,sweetcorn 40g,light mayo 15g

l. homemade chicken curry ,gonna try some slim rice -no carbs/fat
s,same as lunch as i like it
6 cups of coffee throughout the day

Reactions: 8 people

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Everytime I go off the rail from low carb my weight creeps back on, as excess weight increases insulin resistance and therefore is bad for diabetes I guess Low Carb will be a life thing for me... can't see another way around it, no matter how much I enjoy eating carbs, they are just not good for me...

Reactions: 11 people

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I will try to be very very good and try to go back into ketosis after being naughty yesterday.

For breakfast I had a coffee with lactofree and leftover cheese sticks.

I think I will have lots of green tea and some protein and that will be it for the day...

Reactions: 6 people

hognose

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes, injections/needles.......veg salad fibromyalgia
Everytime I go off the rail from low carb my weight creeps back on, as excess weight increases insulin resistance and therefore is bad for diabetes I guess Low Carb will be a life thing for me... can't see another way around it, no matter how much I enjoy eating carbs, they are just not good for me...
yup my carbs gen under 30, cals 6-800 ave ,but still cave in for now,hoping ill get stronger as time goes on

Reactions: 4 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had to get up early this morning and start work earlier....

B: Greek Yog, chia seeds, walnuts, pecans & blueberries
L: Roast chicken and salad
D: Baked Ham (no glaze) and green veggies (hopefully)

Reactions: 9 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mongolia. Just wanted to ask a question about the coconut oil fudge. Ive heard a lot if good things about coconut oil but I cant stand coconut, just the smell of it makes me want to vomit. So, do you find any of the coconut smell or taste comes through when you are eating the fudge.?
Hi @4ratbags I haven't made this before and added desiccated coconut to it as I discovered I didn't have quite enough ground almond in the cupboard. Consequently it does taste quite a bit of coconut! How about trying one of these instead:
http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/recipe/no-sugar-vanilla-protein-bark/ (I think the vegan proteins could be replaced by whey protein powder but have not tried this recipe so can't pass comment!)
http://thebigmansworld.com/2014/08/22/paleo-bake-sunbutter-bars/ This is a bit like a cross between fudge and a flapjack though not sweet - hard to describe but fills that gap of something to have with a cuppa!

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Belivta breakfast biscuits - could not eat breakfast before leaving the house to get to work - have yet to discover a breakfast I can take to work which does not include carbs.................. still learning how to deal with type 2 !

cheese (lactose free) with tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce and a little low fat mayo with some crisps...... Lunch

cooked chicken, new potatoes and cabbage for Tea.

One apple eaten between breakfast and lunch.

I know from testing myself (kit I brought as doctor does not support testing for type 2) that potatoes are not bad for me - all breads raised the bg levels.
So far I have only occasionally got bg readings below double figures and they seem to be from avoiding all carbs and usually occur during the afternoon!
Hoping my Desmond day will provide some guidance - attending this Friday.

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For breakfast about 7am I had a whey protein pancake with choc sauce (1 square of 85% choc melted in cream with some Splenda).
Had lunch about 12pm which was a tuna and feta salad with cucumber, tomatoes, peppers and celery.
Just had a snack of some chilli pork crackling as I got home starving.
About to make chilli for dinner, no kidney beans, with grated cheese and sour cream on top of mine (hubby will have some micro rice!)

Making some greek yogurt/why protein icecream at the moment, don't have an ice-cream maker so will be churning every 45min or so! Hoping it will taste nice!

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey hey

Last nights dinner I tried to sneak a carb (sweet potato chips, tastes sooo good), but my meter caught me with a +3mmol at 2hrs and an extra +1.2mmol at 3hrs. Suitably chastised today I have been darn near angelic.

Brunch: 2 sausages, avocado salad with watercress, peppers, 2 cherry toms and a little torn nori. With a nibble of Stilton getting everything ready.
2 glasses of lemon water.

Skipped lunch as not hungry.

Snack: black coffee whilst out, with 1/2 tsp sugar as it was rough! Handful of mixed nuts, a couple of olives.
1 glass of sparkling water.

D: left over roast pork with fried cauli - 'rice' and mixed veg from fridge. Bit of aubergine, pepper, courgette, peas, small baby carrot and torn nori to offset the cauli. Random spices out of cupboard, all cooked in copious amounts of butter.
1 glass of sparkling water.

If I need a snack later it will be a spoonful of sugarfree peanut butter, with or without celery stick.

Need to drink more water. Grrr finding the 'fat' bit of lchf really difficult AND the drinking enough liquid....

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Belivta breakfast biscuits - could not eat breakfast before leaving the house to get to work - have yet to discover a breakfast I can take to work which does not include carbs.................. still learning how to deal with type 2 !

cheese (lactose free) with tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce and a little low fat mayo with some crisps...... Lunch

cooked chicken, new potatoes and cabbage for Tea.

One apple eaten between breakfast and lunch.

I know from testing myself (kit I brought as doctor does not support testing for type 2) that potatoes are not bad for me - all breads raised the bg levels.
So far I have only occasionally got bg readings below double figures and they seem to be from avoiding all carbs and usually occur during the afternoon!
Hoping my Desmond day will provide some guidance - attending this Friday.
As a take away breakfast you could put some full fat Greek yoghurt or Alpro yoghurt (both low carb but read the carton as some are lower than others) into a small Tupperware container with a handful of berries and sprinkling of nuts/seeds/flax. Or make some English muffins https://www.pinterest.com/pin/301600506273509207/ and spread with peanut or almond butter, wrap and take with you. Or chia seed pudding is also easy to make and put into a small container - lots of different flavours if you search on the internet.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For breakfast about 7am I had a whey protein pancake with choc sauce (1 square of 85% choc melted in cream with some Splenda).
Had lunch about 12pm which was a tuna and feta salad with cucumber, tomatoes, peppers and celery.
Just had a snack of some chilli pork crackling as I got home starving.
About to make chilli for dinner, no kidney beans, with grated cheese and sour cream on top of mine (hubby will have some micro rice!)

Making some greek yogurt/why protein icecream at the moment, don't have an ice-cream maker so will be churning every 45min or so! Hoping it will taste nice!
Ooh let me know how your ice cream turns out. Since buying a ice cream maker (very cheap!) I have been on the look out for new recipes to experiment with!