What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream x 2
Coffee and unsweetend almond milk
Smoked salmon
Peanut butter
Steak and butter with green pepper and tomato

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry @DJC3 and @PenguinMum, I don't have a camera any more since my old one broke (it was a very early digital one and not really much good in modern terms, but it did take pics. Not any more though - even Neil couldn't get it to work).

Don’t worry about the photo. I’m sure it looked wonderful and I bet Em loved it.
Thanks for posting your porridge experiment. I don’t think I’ll try. Eggs are about the only breakfast that keeps me full until lunchtime

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
  • Friendly
Reactions: Annb

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Munkki thanks for posting the recipe, I couldn’t translate but think I’ve got the gist of it.
Black coffee all morning.
Early lunch- salad with feta, avocado and olives and a buttered SRSLY roll. Few squares Montezuma’s Absolute black.
Dinner - 2 air-fried hogget loin chops with cauli cheese and a bit of leftover cabbage and green beans from yesterday. Couple more squares Montezuma’s.
I’m trying to use all the veg up before starting carnivore. I’m not sure I’ll get through the enormous cauliflower in 3 days. Paul doesn’t like it.
IMG_3263.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday 28 August - bed 6.1 FBG 6.2. Another week begins. Teeny pills all done. Foot is not totally cleared, but it is massively improved. I'm back at the Doc's on Wednesday morning. One thing I have noticed. On weekdays, when I'm up at 7.30 am, my BGs are not drifting into the 8's necessitating eating something to bring them down. At the weekend, when I lie in a bit later, they do drift upwards. It seems my "cure" for dawn phenomenon is to get out of bed at 7.30 am??

B. TAG and LC granola with sugar-free coconut milk and blackberries. Benecol dairy free.

L. 2 slices of SRSLY toast with cheese triangles.

D. Chicken salad. Chicken remained from the roast on Saturday. Salad of avocado, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, vegetable salad, mayo, boiled egg. CC little chocolate pot with blackberries.

I found a pack of 4 chocolate éclairs in Sainsbury's, and each one is only 10.5g carbs. I must confess to being tempted until Hubby asked me to get one for him. I licked the chocolate that had stuck on my finger. It was horrible! Way too sweet. I am no longer tempted.
20230828_180956.jpg

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, slices of avocado and tiger prawns, seasoned with black pepper.
Water to swallow tablets.
Espresso.

L: Aperitif: dry white wine
Melanzane alla parmigiana, (aka aubergine parmigiana) using aubergine slices without breading or flour, passata, mozzarella, parmesan, olive oil, oregano, and garlic.
I tossed some breadcrumbs with a little olive oil plus grated parmesan and sprinkled on top before baking. (That way, I could serve the topping to those who can handle breadcrumbs, but omit it from my own portion and finish with extra parmesan instead.) Basil, IMHO, works best torn on to the dish at the last minute.
Salad made with watercress, chicory, Romano peppers, radishes, salad onions and Kalamata olives, dressed with an olive oil, basil and balsamic vinaigrette and topped with toasted pistachios.
Skipped pud.
Water to drink.

D: Seafood salad made with crevettes, brown shrimps, lettuce, cherry toms, celery and Welsh onions dressed with olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice, parsley and garlic, topped with toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds.
Water to swallow tablets.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Dinner: low carb cauliflower cheese with roasted Mediterranean veggies.

2023-08-28 19.22.52.jpeg

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This recipe uses wheat flour so wouldn’t be low carb enough for me. I wonder if almond flour can be substituted weight for weight.
Correct, it does that’s why I mentioned almond flour as a substitute.
I may experiment and see what happens.

• Friendly
Reactions: Annb

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this the same plum cake? using almond flour and erythritol
This recipe uses wheat flour so wouldn’t be low carb enough for me. I wonder if almond flour can be substituted weight for weight.
I ran the original German recipe through Google Translate for you, works pretty decent, l only had to change a few minor things lost in translation, and it saved me translating myself. :)

Here it is:
https://staupitopia-zuckerfrei.de/low-carb-pflaumenkuchen-mit-streusel-rezept/ Does this link make sense with Google translate or so? Feel free to ask. It's a childhood-memory type German Plaumenkuchen I wanted to make.
For the base:
80 g erythritol* ground into powder
50 g ground almonds*
20 g coconut flour*
60 g cold butter, cut into pieces
3 eggs
vanilla extract to taste*

For the crumble:
50 g ground almonds*
10 g coconut flour*
30 g cold butter, cut into pieces
25 g erythritol* ground into powder
Vanilla extract* to taste
And
500 g plums, pitted and halved

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees top and bottom heat.
Mix all the ingredients for the base into a dough and then spread it into a springform pan (approx. 24 cm) lined with baking paper.
Scatter the plums in a circle over the dough.
For the crumbles, it is best to first mash or mix all the ingredients with a fork and then “rework” them briefly by hand. Don't knead for too long here, otherwise the crumbles will become too sticky.
Spread the crumble evenly over the plums and bake the cake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes. After about 20 minutes, it should be covered with aluminum foil so that the crumbles don't turn too brown.
Allow the plum cake to cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes before slicing.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Today should have been the third and last day of a very cheesy cauliflower dish with tomatoes and Turkish sausage. But I wasn't sure about the sucuk in the first place, it had spend quite some time in my fridge already. Yesterday the dogs had a substantial leftover portion and this morning I had the dirty job of washing out the fur on the backside of one of the dogs. Not the ideal way of waking up :yuck:
No idea if the two were connected but I decided not to take chances and went with two chipolata sausages, olives, bell pepper, and a slice of low carb bread, half with paté and half with filet américain (don't think it's a thing in the UK) and onion.
Tasty and much safer! :hilarious:

1693252882308.png

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I ran the original German recipe through Google Translate for you, works pretty decent, l only had to change a few minor things lost in translation, and it saved me translating myself. :)

Here it is:

For the base:
50 g ground almonds*
20 g coconut flour*
3 eggs

For the crumble:
50 g ground almonds*
10 g coconut flour*
And

Mix all the ingredients for the base into a dough and then spread it into a springform pan (approx. 24 cm) lined with baking paper.
For the crumbles, it is best to first mash or mix all the ingredients with a fork and then “rework” them briefly by hand. Don't knead for too long here, otherwise the crumbles will become too sticky.
Spread the crumble evenly over the plums and bake the cake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes. After about 20 minutes, it should be covered with aluminum foil so that the crumbles don't turn too brown.

Thank you very much for this.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Shan't be trying the porridge experiment again. I was hungry all day, had my 2nd meal early because I was so hungry. BG stayed lowish all day (had to go out to a "Counter weight" class and guess what, the diet offered was very, very heavy on carbs) and by the time I got home (7.30 pm) I was very hungry and my BG was piling on. 10.9 when we got home. Took insulin and had a ham sandwich - too shattered to try to do anything else. BG kept on rising and was 14.9 by the time I went to bed. Took some more insulin and just hoped it wouldn't drop too low. It didn't. Still 10.9 this morning. I think this was the oats causing all this - no other reason I an think of.

I'm still very hungry so some time soon I will make myself a cheese omelette and hope it settles me down for today.

Still have some of the tagine to finish for my 2nd meal.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Got a young red delicious apple tree in the garden, this is the first year we've allowed it to fruit. There're about a doz lovely red apples on the tree and they've been nagging me to try one. If you're a 'recovering carbaholic' as I am, those thoughts can be a bit scary. On 1st September I will have completed 3 whole months where my daily carb intake has been below 20g, mostly my menu is around 15g a day. I think it's now about time to experiment with relaxing my strict regime. So yesterday I plucked an apple, it was a small one, and after discarding the core there was only a 90g of apple flesh and skin which came in under 10g carbs. I hadn't eaten anything since 6.30pm the previous day so with my BG being 5.4, I ate the apple at 10.05am:

10.30am - BG 5.9
10.45am - BG 6.3
12 noon - BG 5.5

All results via finger prick. I think it's acceptably safe for me to have an apple every now and again. Can't help being paranoid about food, and I know I need to relax.

Dinner at 4pm.

Dinner: smoked salmon wrapped around prawns and cream cheese with a Marie-Rose sauce. Coleslaw on the side.

Carbs for the day 18g.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this the same plum cake? using almond flour and erythritol
It looks like the same type of cake, but slightly different ingredients. Mine translated are:

INGREDIENTS

For the base
80 g erythritol* ground into powder (I used 25g)
50 g ground almonds*
20 g coconut flour*
3 eggs
n.e. vanilla extract*
For the crumble
50 g ground almonds*
10 g coconut flour*
25 g erythritol* ground into powder ( I used 5g)
And

PREPARATION

Mix all the ingredients for the base into a dough and then spread it into a springform pan (approx. 24 cm - I used 22 cm) lined with baking paper.
Scatter the plums in a circle over the dough. (My 3-year old helped me, so we scattered and pushed them in randomly)

It's lovely a bit warm still and I found it didn't need cream or so. Typical in Germany would be cake topped with whipped cream.

Reactions: DJC3 and Speedbird

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Here it is:

For the base:
50 g ground almonds*
20 g coconut flour*
3 eggs

For the crumble:
50 g ground almonds*
10 g coconut flour*
And

Oh thank you. I saw this too late

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've finished eating for today so I checked my calorie count for the day (a fairly typical day) so that I can get an idea of what the nurse running the "Counterweight" class wants. They recommend 1300 cal daily. Today I will have eaten 634 plus cups of tea. And even that amount made me feel a bit nauseous. Of course, if I ate the carbs they want me to eat, the count would be a lot higher.

I've made a pork and tomato stew for tomorrow which should work out around the 390 calorie mark - carbs might be a bit on the high side though - around 30. That's if I'm working it out properly.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Tea through the day! Run out of cream
Feta and green pepper.
Peanut butter
Steak, butter and shallot

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've finished eating for today so I checked my calorie count for the day (a fairly typical day) so that I can get an idea of what the nurse running the "Counterweight" class wants. They recommend 1300 cal daily. Today I will have eaten 634 plus cups of tea. And even that amount made me feel a bit nauseous. Of course, if I ate the carbs they want me to eat, the count would be a lot higher.

I've made a pork and tomato stew for tomorrow which should work out around the 390 calorie mark - carbs might be a bit on the high side though - around 30. That's if I'm working it out properly.
I read that as saying you'd had in excess of 634 cups of tea!! I seem to have a thing with tea having read @PenguinMum 's as Octopus Tea!!

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It looks like the same type of cake, but slightly different ingredients. Mine translated are:

INGREDIENTS

For the base
80 g erythritol* ground into powder (I used 25g)
50 g ground almonds*
20 g coconut flour*
3 eggs
n.e. vanilla extract*
For the crumble
50 g ground almonds*
10 g coconut flour*
25 g erythritol* ground into powder ( I used 5g)
And

PREPARATION

Mix all the ingredients for the base into a dough and then spread it into a springform pan (approx. 24 cm - I used 22 cm) lined with baking paper.
Scatter the plums in a circle over the dough. (My 3-year old helped me, so we scattered and pushed them in randomly)

It's lovely a bit warm still and I found it didn't need cream or so. Typical in Germany would be cake topped with whipped cream.
Thank you.

Reactions: Munkki