What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the farm was somewhere near the N355 because I had to go to Tietjerksteradeel each week to 'sign on' until I moved to Heemstede and it wasn't far away. Just before I moved, my in-laws to be moved to Appelscha. I never did learn any Frisian!
How intriguing! @RosemaryJackson. It's a small world.
Do you speak Friesian @Antje77?

Last edited:

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs with a knob of butter and avocado seasoned with black pepper plus a wedge of Harbourne Blue goat's milk cheese.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Wild Alaskan salmon fillets baked with broccoli, chestnut mushrooms, double cream and lemon verbena.
Steamed asparagus spears and French beans smothered with butter
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D Seafood salad using tiger prawns, brown shrimps, rocket, baby plum tomatoes, celery, Romano peppers, cucumber, Halkidiki olives and, salad onions, dressed with an olive oil, balsamic and garlic vinaigrette, topped with toasted pistachio nuts.
Water to wash down tablets.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You rebel @Antje77! Don't worry we won't tell anybody.
I knew I could count on my forum friends to keep my secrets safe! :joyful:
How intriguing! @RosemaryJackson. It's a small world.
Do you speak Frisian @Antje77?
I read and understand Friesian just fine, and I'm comfortable singing some Friesian songs.
Speaking, no. I only moved here 10 years ago, and all the Friesians speak Dutch as well. Besides, in the area where I live, they use a different dialect, which is substantially different from official Friesian so I gave up.

Still, I encounter a lot af casual Friesian (or the local dialect) in supermarkets, the swimming pool, the pub, so I'm happy to be able to join the conversation even if my contributions are in Dutch.
I may or may not have been speaking Friesian on some very drunken nights in a pub a long time ago. Thankfully everyone had plenty to drink so no-one remembers...

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I read and understand Friesian just fine, and I'm comfortable singing some Friesian songs.
Speaking, no. I only moved here 10 years ago, and all the Friesians speak Dutch as well. Besides, in the area where I live, they use a different dialect, which is substantially different from official Friesian so I gave up.

Still, I encounter a lot af casual Friesian (or the local dialect) in supermarkets, the swimming pool, the pub, so I'm happy to be able to join the conversation even if my contributions are in Dutch.
I may or may not have been speaking Friesian on some very drunken nights in a pub a long time ago. Thankfully everyone had plenty to drink so no-one remembers...
How fascinating! @Antje77 It's extraordinary that the old indigenous language and its dialects are still written and spoken in your province to that extent.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wouldn't the correct question be "why not?"
I'd love herrings all day, no reason needed!
I'm fond of fresh herrings, especially the males with their creamy soft roes. They're at their best from June to August (I used to love rollmops too, but they're off the menu now, thanks to all the caster sugar.)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How fascinating! @Antje77 It's extraordinary that the old indigenous language and its dialects are still written and spoken in your province to that extent.
They sure are, and very much alive!
It's about a 50/50 thing what language people choose to use when they don't know if you speak Friesian or not. Often they switch to Dutch if you reply in Dutch, sometimes they stick to Friesian, especially if it's clear from your reply you didn't have any trouble understanding.
The province of Friesland has a relatively large newspaper, which is about half and half in Friesian, and the very professional and much watched/listened to main Friesian TV/radio company is as good as all Friesian, unless they interview someone from outside the province.

And on social media, even the youth uses a lot of Friesian, sadly with a spelling as bad as they have in Dutch. But still, the language is alive!

On topic: Chicory and hummus, and a piece of 85% chocolate are waiting for me in bed, I'll join those now. :joyful:

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They sure are, and very much alive!
It's about a 50/50 thing what language people choose to use when they don't know if you speak Friesian or not. Often they switch to Dutch if you reply in Dutch, sometimes they stick to Friesian, especially if it's clear from your reply you didn't have any trouble understanding.
The province of Friesland has a relatively large newspaper, which is about half and half in Friesian, and the very professional and much watched/listened to main Friesian TV/radio company is as good as all Friesian, unless they interview someone from outside the province.

And on social media, even the youth uses a lot of Friesian, sadly with a spelling as bad as they have in Dutch. But still, the language is alive!

On topic: Chicory and hummus, and a piece of 85% chocolate are waiting for me in bed, I'll join those now. :joyful:
Night night @Antje77. Sweet dreams.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All
So to yesterday, usual brekkie of slice LC toast, butter, copious tea.
Lunch was another slice LC toast with Dairylea on top, needed something speedy. Tea.
Supper was baked lightly spiced chicken breast with broccoli.
@Antje77 well done for your shift painting on that beautiful ship, sounds like you enjoyed it as did your feet! Hope today is just as good, am assuming there’s a team of you and you’re not the only one painting the whole ship LOL
@jpscloud hug for the tweaked back and thanks for helping me decide my Easter lunch. Just the two of us and Mr P fancies first bbq of the year. One way or another I will be having lamb steak with Greek salad.
We have meeting of our clan here on Good Friday with the star guest my 4 mo grandson. Planning cold fish & seafood platter, good bread for those who can, big mixed salad, the cheeseboard and Colin the Caterpillar meets Easter Lamb (M&S) with mixed berries. My boys have never grown out of Colin!
Lunch today will be cheese, pickles and three small water biscuits. Tea.
Supper will be 3 meaty sausages with mixed veg.
Has anyone tried Peroni 00 its a fave with my lads when driving and always in our fridge. I’m not a beer drinker but it would be a glorious treat from the fridge on a hot day after a spell of gardening.
Having fondly remembered Colin from M&S I had to Google the Easter lamb…so cute. Tomorrow I’ll start making a chocolate cake hedgehog. Not for me alas, but a very late January birthday!

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
a working in the garden and knitting day.
Breakfast was lc toast with my favourite Gruyere.
Lunch, sourdough spelt with smoked brisket, red cabbage and more gruyere with the first portion of my first ever homemade sauerkraut. I was very impressed with it.
Dinner was a portion of roast lamb I found in the freezer. (Must have stashed it there before we went south), mashed cauliflower with garlic and horseradish, and green beans from last years garden, all slathered with real British mint sauce.
Been fighting a cold I think so needed more insulin than normal.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I'm fond of fresh herrings, especially the males with their creamy soft roes. They're at their best from June to August (I used to love rollmops too, but they're off the menu now, thanks to all the caster sugar.)
When I was a child dad used to make me herring roe on Toast....

sueh21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, hope all doing well
Yesterday
B Yog, blueberries,coconut
L Hummous (think I spell that differently every time!) feta and salad
D Early dinner on a Tues before fitsteps class, mishmash of bits, corned beef, hard boiled egg, celeriac mash,mushrooms and courgette.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Waitrose had fresh herring in. Tasted lovely.....
You'd think that, being on this island, with a good few herring fishermen, we would be able to get gresh herring. But we can't. I think they all offload directly to a mainland port and they get sold to the mainland market rather than bringing some home here.

Still trying to figure out what to do about breakfast and 2nd meal today. Don't want to have more of the stovies this morning nor do I want bacon, for some reason. Could have strawberries and cream, but that won't keep me going for long. I'll work something out,l but it will have to be quite soon - BG is dropping and is currently just above 4.0.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick post for yesterday before start today's eating. I had a few eye issues yesterday blurring so difficult to focus with a slight head ache so gave screen a rest just one of those things. Lovely to be back to normal and catch up with everyone.
@MommaE good to hear your sauerkraut worked out. Like you I've ended up looking at M and S Colin the caterpillar s new friend courtesy of @PenguinMum.
Food yesterday
Kefir then two boiled eggs and LC roll
No lunch just sipped peppermint tea
Dinner left over beef and English asparagus also had a few squares of Montezuma s 100% with orange oil.
Planning today to put Bolognese in slow cooker for main meal. May also start some new hm bifido yoghurt.

RosemaryJackson

I can still remember one song I learned in 1959. Daar bij die molen, die mooie molen, Daar woont een meisje waar ik zo veel van houd. Daar bij die molen, die mooie molen, daar zal ik wonen als zij eens wordt mijn vrou.!!!!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: Ham and a selection of cheeses. Followed by a few strawberries (imported and not very ripe or very tasty).

2nd meal will be sausages and swede chips.

I've just pickled some cucumber in ACV. The cucumber that Neil bought on Thursday was very long and I used what I wanted of it on Friday. I'm unlikely to want any more of it this week - so pickled it needs to be.