Not open for further replies.

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
Aw thanks for that Avo, I have things to do now, but I'm making a note of that website and will defo check it out. And, you're right, done the teenager thing, 3 times so I've done my bit. Love and Light xx

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a feast last night.

Breakfast: cheesy omelette
Lunch: Greek yogurt, mixed berries, walnuts. Creamy decaf.
Dinner: chickpea curry, mushroom curry, coconut lime cauliflower "rice". Gin and tonic with lime and mint.

n6f1qr.jpg
That looks amazing. How do you make your mushroom curry as I love mushrooms but the only curry I ever had of them was vile. Oh and cauli couscous? How do you make that please as that's one thing I think I'm going to miss.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have never, ever had spam! Maybe I should branch out and have some! What does it taste like?
I have never, ever had spam! Maybe I should branch out and have some! What does it taste like?

As a child in the 50s and 60s, spam was on the table at home about once a month or so. Cept not just spam, but spam fried in pancake batter. It was yum. We called it 'luncheon meat', that was its name in the shop. If we didn't eat it hot and fried, we ate it cold with salad.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

That looks amazing. How do you make your mushroom curry as I love mushrooms but the only curry I ever had of them was vile. Oh and cauli couscous? How do you make that please as that's one thing I think I'm going to miss.
Hi Cold Ethyl, welcome to the forum :)

The cauliflower couscous recipe is on this link at post #11 http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarian.54384/#post-499319

I tried the mushroom curry last week and it ended up as soup! Last night's was better as I cooked the mushrooms separately then added them to the sauce at the end.

4 tbsp vegetable oil (or less, was a bit oily)
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp ginger and garlic paste (I used chopped garlic and ginger and used more)
1 tsp tomato puree
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp plain yogurt
1/4 tsp tandoori paste
single cream (recipe says 200ml, but I just used a couple of tbsp)
1 tbsp coconut cream
1 tbsp mixed nuts and raisins (I used chopped almonds and apricots, but you could leave fruit out for lower carbs)
punnet of mushrooms

Serves 1

Method: Fry onions in oil with cumin seeds until soft. Add other stuff in that order. Fry mushrooms in another pan and add at the end.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Cold Ethyl, welcome to the forum :)

The cauliflower couscous recipe is on this link at post #11 http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarian.54384/#post-499319

I tried the mushroom curry last week and it ended up as soup! Last night's was better as I cooked the mushrooms separately then added them to the sauce at the end.

4 tbsp vegetable oil (or less, was a bit oily)
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp ginger and garlic paste (I used chopped garlic and ginger and used more)
1 tsp tomato puree
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp plain yogurt
1/4 tsp tandoori paste
single cream (recipe says 200ml, but I just used a couple of tbsp)
1 tbsp coconut cream
1 tbsp mixed nuts and raisins (I used chopped almonds and apricots, but you could leave fruit out for lower carbs)
punnet of mushrooms

Serves 1

Method: Fry onions in oil with cumin seeds until soft. Add other stuff in that order. Fry mushrooms in another pan and add at the end.

that sounds lovely. And thanks for the welcome. I will eventually introduce myself when I get some facts and figures back from the DN. Thanks.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No breakfast or lunch - doing fasting tests and not at all hungry.

Dinner - Sainsbury's Cumberland sausages. Very tasty but disappointingly high carb - 8% carb.

Lovely glass of Tesco vintage claret, only £5 a bottle. :)
Polished off with 100g of Président Brie and 5 squares (15gch) of 74% Ecuadorian plain chocolate. A lovely pudding.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A cauli mash tip from my ex - to avoid looking like you've been in an explosion in a (cauli) bakery, rather than grinding fresh cauli in a food processor, stock frozen cauli, boil it whole as normal, then mash with a fork in the pan and quickly fry it. It may not be such an exact replica of mash, but it works as a quick and tasty low-carb 'staple'.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@lunarlinda

Hi,

The cheese strings were on offer in Tescos when I started my Great Dawn Phenomenon Experiment.
So now I am stuck with them, in the interests of minimising variables.

I actually prefer baby bels because they have some kind of flavour.
But then I prefer Leerdammer or vintage cheddar more.
Heck, Gorgonzola or Stilton would be my ultimate faves... but practicality rules, and I can keep them out of the fridge and on my bedside table for a day or two without worry.

Re the juicer - careful with glucose spikes! Even carrot juice sends me into the stratosphere, although hopefully your mileage will vary!

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just had the TINIEST piece of cheese with cranberry and my glucose has shot up to 10.6.......thats off the agenda then. Why did it have to taste so nice? :(

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just had the TINIEST piece of cheese with cranberry and my glucose has shot up to 10.6.......thats off the agenda then. Why did it have to taste so nice? :(
Yeah those added-fruit cheeses blow my BG off the chart as well. It's like the fruit is candied or something. :-(

Try having cheese with some fresh fruit, it tastes nicer and probably will cause much less of a rise.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, mine too. It's a shame because they are delicious. I quite like the red Leicester with peppers, that one is OK for me.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Philly cheesesteak, aka 300g steak topped with 100g cream cheese, plus 100g of coleslaw. 10g carbs, 80g protein. I guess I should start to count the fat! It was gorgeous and I am totally full up.

Lunch was a decaf cappuccino that put my blood sugar up 1 mmol/L so I took half a u after the fact. No breakfast - I really don't do breakfast.

No hunger all day and the only craving was when I had to walk between Gregg's, a market cake stall and Hotel Chocolat on my way through town. I did not succumb! :)

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Spiked - haven't had one of those since I lived in Philadelphia, down near Cherry Hills. Hardly lightweight on any of the content measures I now hold so dear.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Sorry to hear you've been feeling poorly Scandi, hope you're on the mend now. With moving and not having all the kitchen equipment and gadgets I used to have, I'm struggling to eat properly. Plus when you're on your own there isn't the motivation either.

My tea was a tin of mackerel in a mexican sauce which was delish. But 3 hours later I was craving a packet of crisps, so I had one. Then I tried the recipe for green & blacks cocoa drink with 2 dollops of cream for supper and I really enjoyed it. If I was counting calories for the day, I would have been well under 1800. I'm trying to low carb and in the main, I am doing ok, as I've lost 4 pounds in the past fortnight, but when I read this thread and see what effort some people put into their food, I'm amazed. I want Avocado to come and live with me. :)

Family came last weekend so we tried the local chippie. It's fantastic! Trouble is, the portion size was huge and as I was hungry, I ate a lot more than I should have done, ( not all of it). Whilst I really enjoyed eating it, all afternoon I felt sick and was very bloated. Not sure if that was the batter or the chips? I'll now only have a fish now and again, and just hope I can constrain myself like Scandi and only eat half the batter. ( who am I kidding!!).

I'm interested in the choice of cheese strings Brunneria? Is that a better choice than Babybell? As I eat those as my go to snack in my handbag when out and about?

I'm getting my juicer today from my old house, so I'll hopefully be back to my green juices next week.

The cauli I bought on Wednesday is looking at me saying well go on then, do something with me. I can only think of cauli cheese. That's why I need to adopt Avocado, please. ;) xx
Hi Linda! You sound like you're getting more organised! All I need is a microwave, a food processor and my huge cast iron enamelled pan from sainsburys (bought in sale - like le Cruset but a hell of a lot cheaper!) oh and a grater. I also have a small enamelled pan too. Both go in oven. I suggest you take some time to research some recipes, get into cooking and have some fun. Take carexxxxx

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Philly cheesesteak, aka 300g steak topped with 100g cream cheese, plus 100g of coleslaw. 10g carbs, 80g protein. I guess I should start to count the fat! It was gorgeous and I am totally full up.

Lunch was a decaf cappuccino that put my blood sugar up 1 mmol/L so I took half a u after the fact. No breakfast - I really don't do breakfast.

No hunger all day and the only craving was when I had to walk between Gregg's, a market cake stall and Hotel Chocolat on my way through town. I did not succumb! :)

Never got greggs! Love pasties but the smell of greggs makes me feel ill. Hotel du chocolat - now you're talking! Just had Puy lentils inlots of garlic butter, Puy lentils and wilted spinach, all mixed in together. Total yumminess,

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's what rice and bread do to me! I feel your pain!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very odd day.

Couldn't sleep. At 2am, realised that hunger was a contributing factor.
Stuck it out til 3am then came downstairs and stared blankly at the fridge. Couldn't face cooking. Resisted mr B's Pringles (saintly, eh?), discarded the milk, and the chocolate... Wish I'd had yoghurt. Ended up having pulled pork!!!
But it did the trick - slept like a baby within 15 mins.

On waking: cheese string
Breakfast: green smoothie
Lunch: green salad with chicken and mango chutney
Snack: 3 squares dark choc
Dinner: caulicheese, belly pork, chilli veg
The inevitable cheese string at bedtime

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast ( had funeral to attend at lunchtime so filled up) turkey bacon, 1 gluten free sausage, poached egg, dry fried mushrooms and tomato.
Lunch ( at 4 pm). Handful homemade tandoori chicken pieces, two cherry tomatoes, tablespoon homemade coleslaw and few lettuce leaves. ( still full from breakfast)
Dinner turkey, broccoli, runner beans, small spoonful of carrots and small amount of gravy
Couple of tablespoons Greek yogurt and a handful sliced strawberries
Snack babybel light

Status
Not open for further replies.