What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@zauberflote - I can be quite a "creative" cook, but that doesn't always mean creative and delicious. In fact a couple of weeks ago ,y better half asked if we could please not have something I had cooked again. Whoooops.

To be fair, my OH is the main cook in this house and when he's doing what I would consider complex meals, I act as Sous Chef, weilding chopping knives and peelers. Oh, and I make excellent tea I'm told, but to be honest I think that's just a ruse so that I make our tea in bed every morning.

:)
We're the other way around - I'm the cook : Hubby is the sous slave. I just give him a prep list. He also makes my coffee every morning. I also taught him the art of soup making with the result he makes very good soups now. Also grateful that he clears up behind me.
Son's household is like yours DIL does the prep ; son does the cooking and he experiments even more than I do but I taught him to cook (and wash, and iron ).

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a chamber (as opposed to stacking trays) dehydrator, which I wanted to be able to do Biltong and the like, and M&S styleeeeeeeeeeeee crispy bacon.

I am devoid of hostess trolley/buffett server though, although we did have a chat about it a couple of months ago.
Son preferred the stacking trays as he could add more trays. He also added the fruit insert. Surprisingly quiet.

Reactions: zauberflote

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like the sound of the kale combo, far more appealing than skin. I often do kale in the oven, but just as often burn it!
Son came up with the kale combo. It was a variation on my sprout one.

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: 2 x 1.5 pints mug of tea; Dockey: Pbucks mocha (Rowntrees cocoa, almond milk and cream, favourite Starbucks mug) Lunch: Dog walk then 3 pints tea; plan for the day went badly wrong there ; checked bp and bailed out of exercise after that (too low) - not a happy bunny; Afternoon: 2 squares M and S 100% chocolate from bar hiding in fridge we cleared (felt I let myself down) - lots of other brands hiding which were binned
Evening meal : Tea; Cheesy fluffy omelette (should have been lunch and this meal a big salad after weights); roasted veg (tomatoes, portobello mushrooms, fennel, little gem)
Christmas clearance day for No2 fridge - Turkey portioned up for curries in freezer; part eaten desserts binned ; I still want to throw away part drunk wine (x4) but Julie feels some will work for cooking - ok to drink but those ships have sailed for me; Not too guilty about waste as some things we like only come in larger sizes. IMHO bigger waste would be buying smaller inferior products and eating none of them. Watched No 1 son in a school panto from 1996 - totes amazeballs - very lucky to have had TV camerman as a parent at kids primary school
Hope y'all had good days

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.9 FBG 7.2 but it still had a climb to 8.6 until I ate something and stopped it in its tracks. Mentioned earlier I was going out for a catch up.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Couple of scrambled eggs with panchetta.
L. Went to the same place we were at before Christmas with the 50 swimming ladies. Had a bunless cheese burger with a mixed leaf salad, a really nice coleslaw and mushrooms and green beans were added since I skipped the chips. Diet coke and a lovely mug of coffee with my little jug of cream.
D. Much later if I get hungry, I'll take one of my very green broccoli and spinach soups out of the freezer.

BGs are going down now the liver has been fed. Might even make it into the 6's. Fingers crossed.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed 7.9 FBG 7.2 but it still had a climb to 8.6 until I ate something and stopped it in its tracks. Mentioned earlier I was going out for a catch up.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Couple of scrambled eggs with panchetta.
L. Went to the same place we were at before Christmas with the 50 swimming ladies. Had a bunless cheese burger with a mixed leaf salad, a really nice coleslaw and mushrooms and green beans were added since I skipped the chips. Diet coke and a lovely mug of coffee with my little jug of cream.
D. Much later if I get hungry, I'll take one of my very green broccoli and spinach soups out of the freezer.

BGs are going down now the liver has been fed. Might even make it into the 6's. Fingers crossed.
Hope the bg goes down and any unwelcome issues in the system clear up asap. Lunch venue sounds intriguing.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done putting the mini chopper back! It’s a risky business popping back in though, stay strong!
The cook's torch is useful for carckling up rind that otherwise just won't seem to play the game. You do have to be careful as it can go from doing nicely to black charred in a seconds.

The secret is to have the flame far enough away from the target object, as that gives a better controlled result and no chance of any butane flavour either.

If you do buy one, please do be very careful where you use it as it's hot, hot, HOT, with the potential to damage worktops and so on. I usually use it on our stainless steel prep bench as that's obviously very durable. I'd otherwise probably use it on top of the hob, or outside in good weather.

I have also used a hot air gun for crackling. It's a smidge slower, but maybe more controllable. I don't know how it would do on the brulee though.

I had a mini chopper in my basket, but put it back. I have one already, this one just looked nicer! Tempted by the blow torch but really not sure how much I’d use it. May be going back to Lidl tonight - a short train ride from my Pilates class....
I have the blowtorch - used for the keto creme brulee. It's a good little torch for the price. Had it a while now

Thanks all. First day back at work has been sufficiently exhausting to mean that Pilates will be as far as I get this evening. After that however, who knows!

Last edited:

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all
Todays offerings have continued the lemon theme - its probably my favourite fruit taste and for the last 5 years or so Ill happily suck on a lemon which now tastes pretty sweet to me - strange how tastes change.
Breakfats and Lunch were both 1 LC lemon shortbread with a lactofree cappuccino
Snacks - 15 smoked almonds, 30g garlic & herb goats cheese, 5 dark chocolate chefs buttons
Dinner - trout fillet baked in foil with a topping of some dairy free pesto, salad made of lambslettuce, rocket,4 sugar snap peas, 1/2 small avocado & lemon juice. 1 tsp Stokes garlic mayonnaise
1075 cals, 14g carbs and a miserable 10g fibre

Ps- maybe we could have a “ what unused kitchen gadgets are lurking in your cupboards?” thread - Ive got too many yet still I lust for more!

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope the bg goes down and any unwelcome issues in the system clear up asap. Lunch venue sounds intriguing.
It's a local hotel but very popular with locals. Very good at adapting their food for our eating habits. The pre Christmas outing they knew well in advance as a few of us had eating requirements. Today I just winged it as their menu is extensive enough to adapt things. It was the same With The venue for Hogmanay but again they knew well in advance but their adapted menu for me was great. We're quite lucky with local venues that are very accommodating.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask you all about HC batons which I was given for Christmas. They are 100% Dark Ecuador but on back are 29.3 carb (no sugar) /100g whereas my usual Lindt 90% is only 14g carbs/100g. It doesnt make sense to me. Should I have them or give them away? Any advice appreciated.

Replying before reading the whole thread so apologies if someone got there first. It seems to be a typo on the package - check their website for the correct carbs, which are much lower. In general though, you do need to check the carb content of Hotel Chocolat products very carefully as even the higher percentage cocoa bars are often much higher than you’d expect as they add a lot of sugar.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Wow, a prolific day on this thread. Just catching up.

Impromptu OMAD day. Planned lunch with ex colleagues got cancelled and then work took over and ended up going straight through lunch. Dinner cobbled together from what was in the fridge. Smoked salmon, a bit of cream cheese, salami and smoked German cheese. Got my macros where I wanted them by adding a spoon of extra thick double cream.

Off to Pilates now.

@zauberflote I’m also a simple meal/few ingredients girl!

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I really don’t know what I insist on reading this thread on a fasting day :banghead: but my New Years resolution (I never make them) is to try at least one new recipe a week off the dietdoctor website so Hopefully you should see me with some different meals over the coming weeks :)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask you all about HC batons which I was given for Christmas. They are 100% Dark Ecuador but on back are 29.3 carb (no sugar) /100g whereas my usual Lindt 90% is only 14g carbs/100g. It doesnt make sense to me. Should I have them or give them away? Any advice appreciated.
I can’t understand why so many hotel choc 100% choc has a relatively high carb content so very interesting to see @maglil55 s comment about it not being right I wondered if it was to do with the different cocoa beans but again didn’t make sense to me! Thank you for your info @maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yesterday went very wrong so re-starting today:

Breakfast: bulletproof coffee

Lunch: Huge Costa decaff with one of their little jugs of cream

Dinner: Two roasted chicken thighs and some broccoli, red pepper and courgette

Dessert: two cubes of home made sugar free coconut ice - okay but a bit sweet for my taste so won't be making it again.

Drinks: the two coffees mentioned above and lots of still bottled water

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They're fine. They are actually 0 carbs net. I queried it with them as there was no way 100% should have that many carbs. They do have it as zero carbs online. The fibre content is the same as the carbs hence the zero net. You have to watch though as a lot of the UK stuff already shows net carbs - I get fed up asking manufacturers. I with they would be consistent.
I have them too and 1 is usually enough.
THank you @maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday went very wrong so re-starting today:

Breakfast: bulletproof coffee

Lunch: Huge Costa decaff with one of their little jugs of cream

Dinner: Two roasted chicken thighs and some broccoli, red pepper and courgette

Dessert: two cubes of home made sugar free coconut ice - okay but a bit sweet for my taste so won't be making it again.

Drinks: the two coffees mentioned above and lots of still bottled water
Wow, Never managed to find a Costa that did that.

Reactions: maglil55