What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Hello everyone - I'm still not well, is it possible to have flu after having had the flu jab? If it's not flu then it's a REALLY horrible cold. I think I was running a temperature this morning (again) so had a rummage through the bathroom cupboard to find the forehead thermometer - then realised it probably won't be particularly accurate as I bought it when my daughter was a toddler and she turned 40 last year. Time to get a new one I think. :rolleyes:

All this talk of almond butter.... I might have to try a spoonful or two mixed with some extra thick double cream I have which needs using up.

@ianpspurs I am so sorry to hear about Julie and I hope she feels a bit better soon.

@SlimLizzy My husband had similar symptoms to yours and was investigated for the same thing. Eventually the symptoms went away on their own and I do so that yours do too. The waiting for appointments and results is awful.

Yesterday's food was low carb comfort food
Breakfast: Avocado
Lunch: Cheese and some chocolate
Dinner: coronation chicken and lettuce
Snacks: Couple of glasses of wine

Today - more comfort food....
Breakfast: Bacon and eggs
Dinner: M&S sirloin steak with herb butter and lamb ribs - might have a bit of salad with it but might not - not sure
@Chook, Mr Slim was really ill after flu jab this year

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hello everyone - I'm still not well, is it possible to have flu after having had the flu jab? If it's not flu then it's a REALLY horrible cold. I think I was running a temperature this morning (again) so had a rummage through the bathroom cupboard to find the forehead thermometer - then realised it probably won't be particularly accurate as I bought it when my daughter was a toddler and she turned 40 last year. Time to get a new one I think. :rolleyes:

All this talk of almond butter.... I might have to try a spoonful or two mixed with some extra thick double cream I have which needs using up.

@ianpspurs I am so sorry to hear about Julie and I hope she feels a bit better soon.

@SlimLizzy My husband had similar symptoms to yours and was investigated for the same thing. Eventually the symptoms went away on their own and I do so that yours do too. The waiting for appointments and results is awful.

Yesterday's food was low carb comfort food
Breakfast: Avocado
Dinner: coronation chicken and lettuce

Today - more comfort food....
Breakfast: Bacon and eggs
Dinner: M&S sirloin steak with herb butter and lamb ribs - might have a bit of salad with it but might not - not sure
Hope you feel better soon. Am assuming without the jab you would be feeling worse than you do now? sounds as if you are lookiing after yourself nicely.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Just back from a lovely couple of days in Edinburgh where the carbohydrate levels in the diet increased somewhat!
So! B. Fried egg, 2 vege hotdogs, 2 slices of grilled halloumi, spinach, plum tomatoes, black tea, black coffee
L. Seeded flatbread, smoked salmon, cream cheese, capers
Snack. Mixed nuts
D. Baked lemon sole, Swiss chard, hot salad of roasted cauliflower, chickpeas and cherry tomatoes. Then stewed rhubarb with stem ginger.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With almond butter, there is usually a fair amount of oil that settles on top. Have you tried giving it a good stir or incorporate the oil back in. And yes, it might work if you mix in cocoa and sweetener to make a chocolate spread, extra oil might be needed to get it to the right consistency.
Yes. I have to give it a good stir each time. It doesn’t quite have the full flavour of peanut butter but nice all the same.

Okay. I might try that with the cocoa.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@BibaBee 90 sec bread? sounds interesting
22-03
XBX 16, seem to be stuck there, shoulder is getting worse, not better
Breakfast: 80g portion of defroasted nectarine and peach slices wth 140g greek yoghurt( finished the pot)
Interesting that the declared carb content was only 6.5g per 100g - less than mixed berries! Any thoughts on this anyone?
Was going to eat the other two chorizo style vegetarian sausages cooked last night, but yukk, disgusting cold and binned them.
lunch: MrSlim raided the fridge, so we had ham, some hummous, few baby toms, token lettuce leaf, three slices cucumber and a huge croissant from freezer warmed in the oven (there was no bread in the house at all ) broke my croissant into two uneven pieces. checked in cals and carbs book. Then had the larger portion. Helped myself to two more slices of ham. Found the croisant too sweet, but hungry so ate it anyway.
snack: 20g manchego cheese, five baby toms, 12 olives
dinner: chorizo style sausages, (real meat this time) 3 each, crushed new potatoes with butter and cornichons, mashed swede butter and black pepper, edame beans with peas and sweetcorn, red cabbage casserole. Slightly odd combination - we are eating up stuff from the freezer, so likely to see same items reccurring.
two glasses of rose wine and one large glass of water.
Not yet worked out carb content so may be a small indulgence added later

Last edited:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@BibaBee 90 sec bread? sounds interesting
22-03
XBX 16, seem to be stuck there, shoulder is getting worse, not better
Breakfast: 80g portion of defroasted nectarine and peach slices wth 140g greek yoghurt( finished the pot)
Interesting that the declared carb content was only 6.5g per 100g - less than mixed berries! Any thoughts on this anyone?
Was going to eat the other two chorizo style vegetarian sausages cooked last night, but yukk, disgusting cold and binned them.
lunch: MrSlim raided the fridge, so we had ham, some hummous, few baby toms, token lettuce leaf, three slices cucumber and a huge croissant from freezer warmed in the oven (there was no bread in the house at all ) broke my croissant into two uneven pieces. checked in cals and carbs book. Then had the larger portion. Helped myself to two more slices of ham. Found the croisant too sweet, but hungry so ate it anyway.
snack: 20g manchego cheese, five baby toms, 12 olives
dinner: chorizo style sausages, (real meat this time) 3 each, crushed new potatoes with butter and cornichons, mashed swede butter and black pepper, edame beans with peas and sweetcorn, red cabbage casserole. Slightly odd combination - we are eating up stuff from the freezer, so likely to see same items reccurring.
two glasses of rose wine and one large glass of water.
Not yet worked out carb content so ay be a small indulgence added later
There are many variations of Keto or low carb microwave bread out there. The recipe I used is actually a 2 minute version and I also added a little ground flax to up the fibre. There are some recipes that use coconut flour, this one calls for almond flour but ground almonds worked fine.
www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/2-minute-low-carb-english-muffin/
@zauberflote has been perfecting her own tweaked version too.

Reactions: zauberflote

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having caught up on the posts I now need to catch up on my food. Couldn't believe I was 3 days behind again. MFP is not happy again. It doesnt believe I'm eating enough. It's bloomin annoying it wont complete the schedule if you are under 1000 cals.
Anyway back to Wednesday.
Bed 6.9 FBG 6.9
B. TAG with ADOC (I have it every breakfast).
L. Slice of ox tongue.
D. I'd defrosted these 4 very large tiger prawns, prepped and deveined them, cooked with mushroom stir fry, cauliflower rice and thai red curry.
1/3 PhD raspberry bar. That's it for today.
Thursday - bed 6.2 FBG 6.3
B. TAG with ADOC (I like this!)
L. Slice of ox tongue.
D. Protein fest - 12 chicken wings with perinaise.
1/3 PhD raspberry bar.
Managed to get into Aqua today too which helped my legs a lot. Been suffering quite badly due to lack of exercise and overdoing the wardrobe clearance. My dodgy legs dont operate well with steps- safety or otherwise.
Today - another busy day. Half day at school. Bed 6.7 FBG 6.5.
B. TAG with ADOC. The last 1/3 of the PhD raspberry bar. Not the greatest for breakfast but I was off to physio after the school run so it was a grab and go.
L. Nothing. Got the boys from school then off to Lego club at the library so in between physio and pick up I created a packed lunch for them to eat en route as well as dealing with a 5 year old tantrum because a bit birthday cake he got didn't "have a jelly bean on top".
Oh the workings of the little mind. Brought them back for dinner later as Mum and Dad both working - Dad away playing at a wedding. Quiet evening as both tired (explains the jelly bean hoo ha).
D. Having collected Mum and deposited all at home was a bit past cooking so 2 boiled eggs mashed with a little butter, 2 slices thin ham and 2 slices mortadella. May have 2 bits Green & Blacks Mint choc later.
Feet up - watching Materchef now (recorded it).
Good luck with the bloods Monday @ziggy_w.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
There are many variations of Keto or low carb microwave bread out there. The recipe I used is actually a 2 minute version and I also added a little ground flax to up the fibre. There are some recipes that use coconut flour, this one calls for almond flour but ground almonds worked fine.
www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/2-minute-low-carb-english-muffin/
@zauberflote has been perfecting her own tweaked version too.
last week saw a recipe for bread rolls that looked really tasty, got a bit distracted and have not tried it yet, esp as it required psyllium husk, which have not used before. Also not managed to make the no grain granola, eating out of the freezer atm. Better get on with it, would prefer to try for first time in a familiar oven.
Maybe cooking new things will be a good distraction this w/e
Making shopping list.
LC cottage pie tomorrow, using the last of the mince, next day - might be chilli, could use up the jalepeno peppers in that...no rice left, maybe buy some. Still trying to use what we have though.
Not bought almond flour either, its £3 per kg dearer than ground almond and seems to be the same texture. Is this how its supposed to be?

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 90 second bread toasted with cheddar and Marmite followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: cold jerk chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast : Weekly mini Full English with Mrs Listlad.
Lunch : Greek yoghourt and stewed rhubarb. Good job I like Greek yoghourt as I eat loads of it.
Dinner : Left over chicken and bacon in pasta sauce with fried cauliflower rice and low carb friendly roasted vegetables.

With mugs of tea.

Snacks in evening : Cheddar cheese and corned beef with a 200ml glass of full fat milk.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Toasted cheese and onion sandwiches.
Dinner: Roast chook and veggies at the bowls club bistro.
Breakfast today: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Coffee, tea, water, beer.

Here's today's lunch 1 kg of medium size green banana prawns, just got to boil them up for four minutes.
Dwe01us.gif

k9qYVIW.jpg

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@maglil55 good one with PIN.....I made up my own PINs, so I have about a one in 10 chance of eventually guessing the right one if I forget. Well done on the shining Ood ball substitute!!!!
KOA is quite a title for us to strive for, @ianpspurs ....
@BibaBee awww it’s always sad for “time out of time” to end. I use my microwave for everything. Whatever did I do without one!? My most recent tweak of the microwave bread is on my CMT, where you may lift and further tweak!. It’s called “mug bread, lc, wildly adapted from original”. I tried to work out carbs this morning, and came out at not much over 5 per whole recipe! How can that be?! Half almond, half flax, little bits coconut flour and oat fiber. I would have put chia seeds if I’d had them.
@Listlad try adding salt to the almond butter jar? But peanuts are a “louder” flavor anyway, says the girl who is a Virginia peanut connoisseur .....
@SlimLizzy nooooo your shoulder is supposed to improve!! I’m sorry it’s not. Maybe 100g of berries is way more fruit than same of berries in the absolute measurement?
Bfast avocado mush from freezer, I don’t recommend freezing a ripe avocado lol, egg, DWC/NS (no soy cos I drank most of it black melting the choc!) for 2 sq 90%C
Lunch seltzer
Afternoon DWCWM (with Mom)
Supper will have maybe some fried panela Mexican cheese, best I can find. There is a Mexican bodega near me, will have to try for queso blanco. Given up on halloumi. The rest of the mug bread, spinach with hm dressing and celery. Save me from my worser self, who wants almond butter,,,,,,

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Late posting as just got home from an evening of girly gossip with my beautiful friends
B: peanut & chocolate protein bar with coffee
L: two portions of the DD bacon & mushroom casserole I made last night
D: out for carvery so had pork, turkey, pigs in blankets, cabbage, cauliflower and some gravy. And had a cappuccino whilst the others were tucking into dessert

Mike thankfully seems on the mend today @BibaBee - he’s spent a lot of it in bed still but more so for having that empty drained feeling you have from being ill rather than still suffering with stomach pain.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Update on cheese and bread..... I clearly didn’t know what the heck I was doing! The panela cheese turned into a sweet gooey mass of yum (from fries-size strips) with crispy crunchies under them which were also very delicious. I fried the mug bread in the same olive oil, and that was a mistake. It needs not fried-ness. But I tried it and now know not to repeat. It dried all out. Probably could easily fry the batter for it as pancakes, though.
IMG_7888.jpg

The old reliable spinach HTS!!!
IMG_7887.jpg

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a look. With these thai desserts they work the mung beans until they look like a marzipan paste so yes I believe ground almonds would work. I suspect all you would have to do is follow a traditional marzipan recipe but obviously substitute sweetener for sugar. You could always use coconut flavouring to get a coconut taste into it. Need the patience of a saint to make them though. You will want your sweetener finer as traditional marzipan uses caster and icing sugar.

@maglil55 - should I make the things, they won't be little perfect orbs, but pressed into a layer in a small tray, then the coloured gelatine on top; cut into little cubes.

Too much faffing doesn't enter my bone idle life. :)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Traveling home yesterday from Northumberland. It’s been a very good couple of days with fine but breezy days. Managed to check out all three of our planned family walks for May bank holiday and walked the 6 mile and 9 mile routes (not at the same time, nor on the same day).
Breakfasted in the B&B on a super duper, yet small, English Breakfast and a cafetiere of koffy.
Luncheon - a tuna salad drizzled with olive oil and a blob of mayo.
Dinner, at home; freezer grab hot and spicey veg soup.
Took the kefir out of the fridge and gave it a swirl to wake it up - it’s sat on the kitchen worktop now, should be ready by mid afternoon. Little does it know that it’s going back into the fridge for another sleep in April.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Listlad @BibaBee and @SlimLizzy this is the 90 second bread I use, which works well and is lovely made into a fried cheese sandwich @zauberflote
jenniferbanz.com/90-second-microwave-bread

SlimLizzy don’t buy almond flour, it’s so expensive and for most recipes ground almonds work well and are much cheaper.

BibaBee hugs for the end of your holiday but it sounds like you’ve had a lovely relaxing break and I’m glad you’ve still enjoyed the simple pleasures of a lovely coffee shop