What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Chook - so sorry you're still I'll. I agree with @ziggy_w that you can get the flu even with the shot but they maintain it's not as bad! Tell that to my son who had the shot and ended up in ICU 2 years ago. Be careful and phone the doc if it doesnt improve.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Sorry to hear that you’re still ill @Chook sounds nasty. Hope you soon recover.

Two meals today. Lunch was M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos. Followed about an hour later by some double cream mixed with M&S almond butter. @BibaBee what have you done? Now I have a supply of it at work too!

Dinner was st Shake Shack. Bunless bacon cheeseburger with mayonnaise and some onion.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all. Got a poorly husband - actually think it’s food poisoning. He had a kebab late last night after the theatre (thankfully I declined) and today he’s got sickness, severe stomach pain and running a temperature. Hoping by tomorrow it will have passed. So fending for myself I’ve managed:
B: usual peanut & chocolate protein bar with coffee
L: the warehouse man kindly offered to do a McDonald’s run as no Mike meant I’m on my own in the office and couldnt leave. So a bunless spicy signature burger - my first time eating McDonalds with a knife and fork :joyful: but it did the job in the situation
D: got my bacon & mushroom casserole in the oven. Off swimming in a bit but am definitely eating a portion when I return. Cooked a huge amount so can have for breakfast and lunch if needs be tomorrow
Get plenty fluid into him. Hope he recovers soon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I managed to forget my PIN for the card I use all the time when I was at th physio this morning. Thankfully I have more than one card. I also remembered the PIN when I was half way home.

I’ve done that too! Usually when I think about it too hard - if I just let my finger tap out the numbers without thinking it’s ok.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 - I have a bit of a challenge for you. :)

Yesterday evening, we ate in what has become our fave place here (having found it frustratingly late in the day, in terms of our trip). The chef/owner is Michelin star trained and her food is fantastic.

Last night after my own Green Curry with chicken, and my OH's Sweet and Sour chicken (totally different to any western offering I have seen or tasted), she can out with a couple of sweetmeats on sticks. http://www.lionbrand.com.au/blog/recipe-thai-kanom-luk-chup

As is well know, I'm not a dessert person, and indeed I only tried a little so as not to insult our host, but even that wasn't what I was expecting either! Ours were globe shaped, and were "spares" for a dessert that was going to a wedding party. From the photo she showed us, the dessert that went was lots of these little spheres, in a heart shape. It looked lovely.

Anyway, on tasting this thing was like a Malteser sized sphere, coated in coloured gelatine. The innards had the texture of a very smooth marzipan, but the flavour was definitely very much of coconut, as opposed to any taste of mund bean. To a non-sweet eater, it wasn't completely vile, and my OH liked it, albeit he wouldn't want a lot of it.

Anyway, I'm maybe sort od thinking it could be fauxed, using some ground almonds and blended to a powder dessicate coconut, then adding coconut cream as the binding agent? As they were very sweet, I'm guessing some granulated, or pwdered sweetener too. What do you think?

I'm sort of thinking they could be useful ad a different sort of fat bomb - although the coconut has more carbs than a "traditional" fat bomb, but also useful for dinner parties and the like.

Any views anyone?
Had a look. With these thai desserts they work the mung beans until they look like a marzipan paste so yes I believe ground almonds would work. I suspect all you would have to do is follow a traditional marzipan recipe but obviously substitute sweetener for sugar. You could always use coconut flavouring to get a coconut taste into it. Need the patience of a saint to make them though. You will want your sweetener finer as traditional marzipan uses caster and icing sugar.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 I loved the Oods. Do you have any glowing glass balls for the kids? (That was Oods right?) Have fun in the clothes!!
Right in there with sticky fingered cream eaters :hilarious:
They did indeed. Not glass - not wise with a 5 year old but they did get 2 old after shave bottles of their Dad which were metal and did shine but not glow.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve done that too! Usually when I think about it too hard - if I just let my finger tap out the numbers without thinking it’s ok.
I tapped them out today. Right numbers wrong order. Makes me think of something I used to say when trying to get delegates to remember the oder in certain formula. It's like music, remembering the notes is easy but get them in the wrong order and it sounds horrible!

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
I like that expression “shunt my Dad into keto a little more” as that’s a bit like what I am trying to do with wife and daughter is shunt them out of a high carb diet. But Mrs Listlad is a bit resistant. LOL.
Feels like we may as well be trying to suplex a train sometimes doesn't it? I'm sure they will come around eventually though, especially considering your increase in health!

@ziggy_w I honestly laughed my head off at seeing that acronym, I love how this has become a thing!

Breakfast today was the usual CWC
No lunch
Just finished some chicken with garlic and herb butter melted on top with roasted mushrooms, broccoli and cauliflower with cheese melted on top with some cooked prosciutto to go with it.

Hope everyone has had a decent Friday!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. Another late night.

@Emma_369 -- Hope your husband feels better soon, food poisoning is really nasty. You might consider going to emergency if starts feeling any worse.

@zauberflote and @BibaBee -- To be honest, I had never heard of replacing chocolate with carob before. When I saw it in the vegan section of the supermarket, I was just looking for a thickener. Have used gelatin, chia flour, xantham gum and guar gum in the past, but didn't really like the consistency. Egg yolk works well, but is a bit finicky to work with (you have to heat the liquid, but prevent it from boiling). Carob is really very similar to food starch, very easy to work with, you just have to add it to cold liquid and stir while the liquid starts boiling.

Next time, however, I will probably blend it with water before adding it to the mixture, the chocolate pudding had a few clots, which luckily disappeared after a day. The recipe was really very simple: Double cream (200ml), clotted cream (2 tablespoons), water (300 ml), erythritol (about 5 tablespoons), cocoa fiber (three tablespoons) and two teaspoons of carob -- came to about 2g of carbs per 100g. So, really low carb.

Had an appointment with my GP today to talk about the blood tests, I will have on Monday. The meeting went really well. We agreed on HbA1c, cholesterol with HDL and LDL (can calculate trigs based on the other three), and liver function test to see how my liver deals with 1 glass of red wine per day on average.

Then we also talked about remission. Although, I have had normal, non-diabetic HbA1c for almost four years, I am still listed as T2 -- and every time I get a referral, the referral form states an HbA1c of 11.3%, which imo can be a bit misleading. Anyway, GP agreed that I am not really diabetic anymore and that he does not see a reason that this would change in the future.

He said, however, that he wasn't sure what would happen if I went back to carbs. I did agree with him on this and said that I consider myself carb-intolerant and didn't see any reason I would ever go back to eating carbs, especially as I don't really miss them.

So, all in all a very productive meeting. I see this has turned out to be a longer post than anticipated. Sorry if I have hijacked the thread a bit.
Hi @ziggy_w just wanted to wish you all the best with your bloods when you have them done. Also crossing fingers for you that they will reflect the real bg readings rather than being inaccurate for you.
Agree with you btw why would we go back to eating lots of carbs when we eat such delicious foods these days? There are so many ways round things with alternatives to use if you are longing for an old carb favourite and you are particularly inventive love the Carob idea btw.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone - I'm still not well, is it possible to have flu after having had the flu jab? If it's not flu then it's a REALLY horrible cold. I think I was running a temperature this morning (again) so had a rummage through the bathroom cupboard to find the forehead thermometer - then realised it probably won't be particularly accurate as I bought it when my daughter was a toddler and she turned 40 last year. Time to get a new one I think. :rolleyes:

All this talk of almond butter.... I might have to try a spoonful or two mixed with some extra thick double cream I have which needs using up.

@ianpspurs I am so sorry to hear about Julie and I hope she feels a bit better soon.

@SlimLizzy My husband had similar symptoms to yours and was investigated for the same thing. Eventually the symptoms went away on their own and I do so that yours do too. The waiting for appointments and results is awful.

Yesterday's food was low carb comfort food
Breakfast: Avocado
Lunch: Cheese and some chocolate
Dinner: coronation chicken and lettuce
Snacks: Couple of glasses of wine

Today - more comfort food....
Breakfast: Bacon and eggs
Lunch: Cheese and some chocolate
Dinner: M&S sirloin steak with herb butter and lamb ribs - might have a bit of salad with it but might not - not sure
Snacks: Couple of glasses of wine
Get well soon sounds lousy for you

Reactions: ziggy_w

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all hope everyone had a good Friday
Breakfast bacon, egg and a mushroom
Lunch half tin of red salmon with half an avocado mixed with lemon juice, acv and olive oil plus a fair few ( lost count!) lc seeded crispbreads followed by 6 hc 100% choc buttons
Dinner a portion of keto diet doctor lasagne left over from yesterday and glass red wine followed by sf jelly and Greek yoghurt
Wishing you all a great weekend - weather looks promising which is good news

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Feels like we may as well be trying to suplex a train sometimes doesn't it? I'm sure they will come around eventually though, especially considering your increase in health!

@ziggy_w I honestly laughed my head off at seeing that acronym, I love how this has become a thing!

Breakfast today was the usual CWC
No lunch
Just finished some chicken with garlic and herb butter melted on top with roasted mushrooms, broccoli and cauliflower with cheese melted on top with some cooked prosciutto to go with it.

Hope everyone has had a decent Friday!
Your dinner sounds lush!

Reactions: ziggy_w

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all - seem to have gone back to winter here so more logs on the burner.
Started with TWAM - bigly. Ingested chorizo wilted spinach with 2 eggs poached in nests as a brunch. After 2 hrs drank CWAASMADC (cocoa with almond and soy milk and double cream). More TWAM after dog walk then for evening meal SMAASWCSO (standard avocado and mackerel salad with chia seeds, Obs)
@Chook hope your flu either real or para departs quickly. Thanks for good wishes for Julie.
Edited for proximity to sense

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all - seem to have gone back to winter here so more logs on the burner.
Started with TWAM - bigly. Ingested chorizo wilted spinach with 2 eggs poached in nests as a brunch. After 2 hrs drank CWAASMADC (cocoa with almond and soy milk and double cream). Mote TWAM after dog walk then for evening meal SMAASWCSO standard avocado and mackerel salad with chia seeds, Obs)
@Chook hope you the flu either real or para departs quickly. Thanks for good wishes for Julie.

Lol the king of acronyms (KOA) lays down the gauntlet. @Caeseji time to up your game!

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last day of our holibobs sadly. It was a quiet, stay local type day, all very chilled. We had a windswept and bracing walk on Prestatyn beach this afternoon and obligatory coffee in a beachside café. Some kitchen experimentation whilst here has helped me reach the decision to finally replace my microwave. It broke last year and I've held off replacing it. I don't use it much apart from for thawing things and reheating meals, so wondered how I would get on without it. I've made a couple of LC mug cakes since I've been here in the microwave and today I tried my first 90 second microwave bread. I tweaked the recipe to add some ground flax and it worked really well. I was quite amazed! I'm definitely off to buy a microwave when I get home.

Breakfast: Vanilla chia pudding with chia jam. CWC
Mid morning: Almond milk cappuccino x 2
Lunch: Cheese and bacon toastie using 90 second microwave bread, salad.
Afternoon: Americano with dash of milk and a M&S Swiss Dark choc disc
Dinner: Baked provolone with thyme and garlic, asparagus, Diet Doctor garlic bread, a few cornichon and pickled onions, small amount of cold sausage, radicchio salad. SF jelly and cream. Decaf coffee shortly.