What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bizarre food day now I come to type it up. Tea until 1.00. L= hot chocolate - Lidl LC cocoa, soy milk and cream + CCB with extra thick cream. All I can think of is like a cheeky kebab after a sly drink when training going well. Wrong in so many ways but it never seemed to deter me. Evening was avocado and mackerel salad. I'll never be orfentic LC/keto like some here but, hey, folk like me are also part of the community. @SlimLizzy hope all went well for Mr Slim. Also snacked on some pork scratching pieces our son had left - I really don't know what that was all about.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got quite cold today at my desk, with proportional rise in appetite!

B: bone broth and a LC hot choc
L: Turkey cheese and branston rollups
D: BBQ chicken kebabs

Funnily enough, at no point was I quite hungry enough to eat a lo dough choc brownie! Haha!

Best wishes to Mr @SlimLizzy

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
So if a late breakfast is called ‘brunch’, what’s a late lunch called? ‘Linner’ or ‘dunch’, anyway I was delayed at an appt so I had it and it was: Greek yoghurt with coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola with a black coffee.
Dinner: chicken, lemongrass and coconut stir fry (no noodles) followed by SF jelly, cream and keto coconut and macadamia granola.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So if a late breakfast is called ‘brunch’, what’s a late lunch called? ‘Linner

For me it’s not the timing per se, but the combination, so brunch is one meal twixt breakfast and lunch; linner similarly, twixt lunch and dinner and OMAD could alternatively be known as blinner :D

Reactions: annabell1 and DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@SlimLizzy hope your husband’s surgery went well

@DJC3 a pound of pork and skipping the salad sounds like the way to go :D

@annabell1 your ribeye sounds good

Today was a TMAD.

Got very hungry and BG dropped very low before a lunch of - wait for it - bacon, eggs and cheese at the cafe near work

Dinner was air fried lamb ribs that had been marinated in olive oil, garlic, salt and thyme. Yum.

Have had a brainwave in relation to the air fryer - fat head/carnivore pizza would likely be far more crispy done that way. I feel an experiment coming on.

View attachment 36062

Your little trivet looks great. I must pick one up for, if nothing else, elevating kebabs. My AF has an attachment for the rotisserie, allowing 6 (or it might be more) skewers to be rotated as they cook, but it's a bit of a faff for a handful.

Reactions: Goonergal

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As we're piling in towards many a celebration - Yom Kippur, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year, I looked at an email from M&S with some interest. The topic was the new autumn menu. Of course, a lot of their offering isn't too LC friendly, but I thought a number of our creative cook friends might be interested in some of the ideas and presentation.

I'll maybe have a go at LCing a few bits and bobs.

For those catering for many, some of the offering are carb heavy, per 100gr, or whatever, but their bite-sized nature could bring then into view for some.

https://www.marksandspencer.com/l/f...egory_5029277&pathId=&state=Live&pageChoice=1

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your little trivet looks great. I must pick one up for, if nothing else, elevating kebabs. My AF has an attachment for the rotisserie, allowing 6 (or it might be more) skewers to be rotated as they cook, but it's a bit of a faff for a handful.

It comes with 4 metal skewers that sit nicely on the top, so you’d get a fair few kebabs in if you also put some on the main shelf of the trivet. I have a small metal quiche dish with a removable base that has holes in. Going to use that base for the pizza base and sit it on the trivet for my experiment.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as enjoying the food goes I think I have reached the point of accepting that for me LC does one job (bg management) poorly. At times like yesterday it is pointless looking for it to be enjoyable. The occasion was the thing yesterday - I would have been happier with a salad or nothing but that would have made everyone else uneasy. - I've tried. As always, YMMV.
I dont think you manage BG poorly at all but thats just me. You are doing your best. Back to rhe salads then!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I can eat this way just can't be enthusiastic about it.
hi Ian, no problem with the food, mine is more a lack of enthusiasm for cooking in general. Used to have lot of sandwiches, pasta and rice. Now finding the need to cook proper meals all the time a bit wearing. Add to that MrSlims dietry requirements ( almost oposite of mine)and it gets really complicated. Lot of the time i just dont want to be bothered.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont think you manage BG poorly at all but thats just me. You are doing your best. Back to rhe salads then!
Yes to the salads. We won't fall out over the rest but I am obviously right.
I can eat this way just can't be enthusiastic about it.
I agree with that. Hope all is well in the slim family with translating French medical terms.
Edit: posted too soon

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As we're piling in towards many a celebration - Yom Kippur, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year, I looked at an email from M&S with some interest. The topic was the new autumn menu. Of course, a lot of their offering isn't too LC friendly, but I thought a number of our creative cook friends might be interested in some of the ideas and presentation.

I'll maybe have a go at LCing a few bits and bobs.

For those catering for many, some of the offering are carb heavy, per 100gr, or whatever, but their bite-sized nature could bring then into view for some.

https://www.marksandspencer.com/l/food-to-order/party-food-and-sandwiches?slider_Current_Min=5&slider_Current_Max=260&sortBy=product.best_selling|1&extid=em_sons_191007_f_LM2&ep_mid=8289635&ep_rid=466998990191007.8289635&mockStoreIdentifier=marksandspencer&storeId=10151&storeIdentifier=marksandspencer&contentId=NP_SubCategory_5029277&pathId=&state=Live&pageChoice=1

What a fabulous selection! And an impressive number of options would be suitable for carnivory and/or LC. Very impressed!
And sooo well displayed.
When I saw the halloween options, I immediately thought of @maglil55 ‘s grandsons. Mummy pizza. Creepy Colin. Oh to be that age again. :D:D:D

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@Brunneria Predictive text can be hilarious. Leftover burglar makes it sound as if you eat them frequently.

07-10-19
seems we were right to be worried about the phone call. We were given the wrong number... after a while spent on google decided would be quicker, and less stressful, to drive to the hospital and ask. We have to be there at 7.30am.

food today.
coffee with cream
more coffeewc
a croissant and then 2 eggs scrambled with butter.
lunch, soup and a small piece of baguette, tea
tea, more tea.
mrSlim is not eating, cant be bothered to cook, had chunk of cheese and later glass of wine.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a fabulous selection! And an impressive number of options would be suitable for carnivory and/or LC. Very impressed!
And sooo well displayed.
When I saw the halloween options, I immediately thought of @maglil55 ‘s grandsons. Mummy pizza. Creepy Colin. Oh to be that age again. :D:D:D

Totally agree, and little sweet things (which aren't my thing, but can be for so many), like the little ganache bites.

OK, some of the "treats" are likely acceptable by item, although it'd be tricky choosing which ones!

One thing that definitely had my eye were the pork belly cubes. The sweet BBQ sauce wouldn't be for me, but very easy to do something similar and even have crunchy crackling. Crunchy crackling on the top and a chilli dipping styleee sauce. :hungry:

Reactions: maglil55

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally agree, and little sweet things (which aren't my thing, but can be for so many), like the little ganache bites.

OK, some of the "treats" are likely acceptable by item, although it'd be tricky choosing which ones!

One thing that definitely had my eye were the pork belly cubes. The sweet BBQ sauce wouldn't be for me, but very easy to do something similar and even have crunchy crackling. Crunchy crackling on the top and a chilli dipping styleee sauce. :hungry:
And did you see the cakes on page 2? The golf cake!
Obviously totally non LC, but v inspiring for those with golfers (or caterpillars, or puppies) in the family :D

I’m going to try a variation of moo grob with BBQ coating.

I am now also reminiscing of a fab dish i used to make. The marinade was incredibly simple - equal quantities dark soy sauce and mirin (sweet rice wine), on any meat or fish of choice. Hot or cold. Always served with a fresh crunchy coleslaw.

mouseee

Up very late so just coffee for breakfast. Daughter nearly missed train but got her there on time. Phew. Wasn't late for work myself. Phew again!

Lunch some left over beef in black bean sauce from yesterday with.... 2 dessert spoons rice. Didn't have my kit with me so couldn't test but definitely didn't go sky high. I know that feeling now! Will try again but def test next time.

Dinner chip shop fish but with only a really small bit of the batter, rest went on husband's plate before I'd even sat down, and mushy peas. I enjoyed it and ate 3 chips stopping easily but enjoying each one.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Grilled flathead fillets, salad.
Dinner: Rolled roast fore quarter of mutton, veggies, pan juice gravy.
Breakfast: Usual cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes, spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea no sugars, water.

Annual eye test / check up with the optometrist today, bit overdue as there were no appointments that fitted in with my schedule. I wanted an appointment yesterday but they were shut due to the queens bathday holiday here in Queensland.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fingers crossed for Mr Slim tomorrow @Thinlizzy. Good job you went to the hospital to check out the time - an early start but that’s better than hanging around all day.
Earlyish start for me as I was dog sitting at daughter’s house - when I arrived the dog was relaxing on the sofa with the cat watching Tv ( yes, daughter leaves tv on for them!!)
Took brunch with me: boiled egg and avocado
Dogs out for a walk in pouring rain then and a frantic phone call to vet and animal poison line re a packet of borage seeds Dennis found and ate.
Dinner was DD Tex Mex burger with smoked cheese slice, green salad, avocado, h/m Mayo.
Trying to console middle daughter later over her ruined uni library book she left on her desk, not realising Den could get at it. She’ll have to pay for a new one.

I’ve been trying full on keto for the last few days rather than just vaguely lchf. Mostly DD recipes so macros are all ready worked out. Must say the amount of fat is daunting and I’m not sure I could stick it long term but I’m certainly not hungry atm

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
I should have added that the treatment my son uses is one he designed for himself. It probably wouldn't work for anyone else, especially if they don't have the serious allergies and intolerances that he has. It also takes more self discipline than I would have to keep to his regime. I suppose you could say that it is "lucky" he also has asperger's which makes him a lot more determined (aka stubborn) than most people.
That's good he has been able to control with diet and his able to find something that works for him very happy to hear that. But I was taken back with what you wrote my sever pan ulcerative colitis nearly killed me 8 years ago I was so malnourished and my body was shutting down. I would love not to take medication biologics and my vitamins and other medications but unfortunately my sever UC doesn't listen. I also avoid a lot of foods due to UC so I understand about limiting food at one stage I tried only living on water but still had sever diarrhea 40 times a day so my life would be so much easier if only my UC would listen as I can be eating foods that are my safe foods for months then all of a sudden I'm flaring even on my safe foods. Yes there are times I eat something that may not be a good idea but when you eat food that is in the safe side even water and still flare it can be tough.

So thank you for writing the extra comment because I was a tad upset by your reply, but I do understand that you were only trying to help.