What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had that issue before we extended the house. With my brother next door I used to go through and use his cooker as well as mine. The solution to the problem (I later discovered) was to have cold starters and desserts which could be prepped in advance. Turkey was cooked and carved and put in a tray with gravy, stuffing and mostly cooked chipolatas etc on the stove top. Veggies into foil parcels for the oven with the roasties. Apart from the cold desserts there was always a Christmas Pudding that could be microwaved with what my father always referred to as white custard. Then there was the other solution- extend the house!

We don’t have starters with Christmas dinner anymore. I can’t remember when we stopped but nobody seems to miss them. Definitely cold puddings though ( apart from microwaveable Christmas pud as you say). I experimented with reheated roast spuds yesterday - giving Mr C some which Id roasted on Saturday and put back in a hot oven for 15 mins. He said they were fine, even crispier than first time so That’s one problem solved. I’ll do same with parsnips, Stuffing is already done. She only has 3 rings on her hob too, just to add to the limitations but I am still anticipating that Dennis will be the biggest headache - all those presents in lovely crackly paper!

Edit to correct day of the week.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Give it a whirl. It'll work, or it won't.

You'll know when you wake whether it has worked, in general terms, because the top of the cream will have a skin/crust, but it will need to be well chilled before disturbing it.

If you are going to do it directly in the pot, just use the boil function on the yoghurt button. The downside is it's a very large pot to fit in the fridge, at this time of year, when there's so much conflicting for the space.

As MrB runs our kitchen like a commercial kitchen, we've had thermometers a long time. We have a fancy, can be left in the joint, in the oven as it cooks (and sounds an alarm when the safe temp is reached) one, but since I bought one of these, we hardly ever trouble the posh one.

The posh one displays the ultimate temperature a bit more quickly this this one, but to be honest, this (or one like it) is just so much more convenient.

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/hygiplas-easytemp-colour-coded-red-thermometer/cf913

Right I’m going for it this evening. PIP as no room in fridge ( don’t think I’d fit the IP pit into my fridge even if it was empty)

Reactions: ziggy_w and Chook

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right I’m going for it this evening. PIP as no room in fridge ( don’t think I’d fit the IP pit into my fridge even if it was empty)

I'll be on the edge of my seat to hear how it goes. :)

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Just 2 meals today. Lunch was an assortment of leftovers / odds and ends. Cold chicken, carni stuffing, lamb, corned beef and cheese. Followed by the last of the keto flourless chocolate cake and some clotted cream.

Dinner was 3 Waitrose 1 free range Cumberland sausages and an egg (mash for my Dad). My dads grill created an inordinate amount of smoke - set off the smoke alarm despite having the extractor fan full blast, window open and kitchen door closed.

@DJC3 clotted cream in IP will be experimented with when I get back home - plenty of room in the fridge there :D

Edited to correct typo

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since we lost FIL and MIL we no longer eat early and need toget to the sofa in time for the Queen’s speech. It always made for a very busy Christmas morning. Now we do our dinner in candlelight at 5pm. We dont do a starter but from 11.30 onwards me and No 1 son do plates of mini smoked salmon on mini bread, prawns on leaves, feta, olive and cherry tomato skewers, parma or serrano ham and melon skewers, tiny pastry cases with quiche filling and other things. We serve it with Champagne and Cremant de Loire and arent to stressed. I quietly get on with cooking the prepared veg and tbh it is quite leisurely.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. @Chook hope the evening goes well and good news about the sleep and funeral problem being resolved. My food today = guilt and disappointment. Tea until 1.30 then chicken in a mushroom sauce (bought) at Dobbies - they checked carbs for me + easy to just heat. Tasted more like korma. Wanted OMAD but was hungry later so scrambled eggs on livelife toast with lc tommy k. Not enthused at all but stayed on LC reservation. Julie's sourdough, yule log and posh crisps seemed the taste choice. Gammon for tomorrow done in IP. Will pre-cook potatoes (always King Edward in the goose fat we save from Martinmas) tomorrow morning and leave in a cold room - saw on TV programme - so much crisper. Will take some sashimi as a starter - don't usually have a starter but easy. No one likes champagne so a mixed case delivered to son. Set of hot trays delivered to son for Christmas dinner. I used to hate that meal as after carving, serving and pouring wine our food was horrible. Bought ourselves some from Aldi and job done. Just a Waitrose order to collect tomorrow morning so no one needs to cook. Hope I enjoy Christmas food after this faff but not holding my breath.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast yesterday: Bacon, eggs, snags, mushrooms, tomato.
Lunch: Cold buffalo sirloin sandwiches with mustard, I had white bread as I have not sourced Herman Brot low carb bread here yet.
Dinner: Curried pork, veggies inc. spudlites which we stocked up on when we did a shop yesterday,

Drinks and snacks: Black coffee no sugar, beer and macadamia nuts, water.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

don’t think I posted yesterday, or the day before, so (from what I can remember)

Sat:
B: cheesy scramble
L: 70% Lindt
D: fabulous curry. Decided to let rip, and hang the carbs cos Xmas is looming. Still no rice or breads, but swapped my usual LC shashlik for a less LC lamb dhansak, with onion bhaji (checked it was GF) and saag paneer.

quite possibly the best curry ever, and maybe the best meal in years. Utterly delicious. Every mouthful. Perfect balance of warmth and heat, with a sumptuous richness. That is it now. Of the 6? 7? Curry houses within reach, this has won, hands down.

slight drawback is that guts are definitely not ready (will they ever again be?) for red lentils, and the tomatoes in the sauce have kicked up my thumb joint arthritis, as usual. But... in all honesty, I would eat that meal daily, if I could. Exquisite.

Sun:
B: Bacon and egg on a single titchy slice of GF brown bread. Once again, I wondered why I bothered with the disappointing bread.
L: none
D: chicken kebabs in pesto with smoked garlic and halloumi fries

tried to do the halloumi in the pannini plates of the chaffle maker. Very soggy. Back to the airfryer.

today:
B: a VERY disappointing Morrisons Cafe breakfast of bacon and egg with MIL. It is quite an art to produce such rubbery scram egg and such thin soft manky bacon. Very sorry that such abused food exists.
L: Left it too late and was having a low, but managed not to carb. Had prawn cocktail on hot oomi noodles. Nicer than it sounds.
D: Tescos finest moussaka with the potatoes fished out and slid onto Mr B’s plate.

have eaten a lot these three days, and loved it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late Lunch/Mid afternoon Greek yoghurt with coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola and black coffee.
Dinner: coriander, lime and ginger chicken with Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

don’t think I posted yesterday, or the day before, so (from what I can remember)

Sat:
B: cheesy scramble
L: 70% Lindt
D: fabulous curry. Decided to let rip, and hang the carbs cos Xmas is looming. Still no rice or breads, but swapped my usual LC shashlik for a less LC lamb dhansak, with onion bhaji (checked it was GF) and saag paneer.

quite possibly the best curry ever, and maybe the best meal in years. Utterly delicious. Every mouthful. Perfect balance of warmth and heat, with a sumptuous richness. That is it now. Of the 6? 7? Curry houses within reach, this has won, hands down.

slight drawback is that guts are definitely not ready (will they ever again be?) for red lentils, and the tomatoes in the sauce have kicked up my thumb joint arthritis, as usual. But... in all honesty, I would eat that meal daily, if I could. Exquisite.

Sun:
B: Bacon and egg on a single titchy slice of GF brown bread. Once again, I wondered why I bothered with the disappointing bread.
L: none
D: chicken kebabs in pesto with smoked garlic and halloumi fries

tried to do the halloumi in the pannini plates of the chaffle maker. Very soggy. Back to the airfryer.

today:
B: a VERY disappointing Morrisons Cafe breakfast of bacon and egg with MIL. It is quite an art to produce such rubbery scram egg and such thin soft manky bacon. Very sorry that such abused food exists.
L: Left it too late and was having a low, but managed not to carb. Had prawn cocktail on hot oomi noodles. Nicer than it sounds.
D: Tescos finest moussaka with the potatoes fished out and slid onto Mr B’s plate.

have eaten a lot these three days, and loved it.

Eggs out can be tricky, in my view.

A few weeks ago, we had to lose an hour, between appointments and ended up in a Sainsbury's cafe, as it was the only place available. Stupidly, I chose and omelette. I still can't work out how they achieve the texture of one of these:

upload_2019-12-23_20-53-51.png

On the day, the primary mission was accomplished, so we'll get over it.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This evening it will be salmon (baked) with some cucumber and mayonnaise.

Neil will go in late this evening and see if he can get at least some milk for me.

Neil went about 6.30 to get my shopping (including some extras I'd thought of in the interim and some bits and pieces he needed) while I baked my salmon. He came back with most of my list, but some odd sizes - apparently the shelves were all but empty. Hope they manage to find more in the store rooms for the shoppers tomorrow.

Below: images of the leftovers soup and the salmon. I started to dress it up a little but then I thought "why bother - it's only for me." Just trying to be a bit cheffy, but no point in that really. As long as it tastes OK. It did - salmon with egg mayo on top and cucumber slices. I'll have the rest tomorrow for brunch.

salmon.JPG

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Neil went about 6.30 to get my shopping (including some extras I'd thought of in the interim and some bits and pieces he needed) while I baked my salmon. He came back with most of my list, but some odd sizes - apparently the shelves were all but empty. Hope they manage to find more in the store rooms for the shoppers tomorrow.

Below: images of the leftovers soup and the salmon. I started to dress it up a little but then I thought "why bother - it's only for me." Just trying to be a bit cheffy, but no point in that really. As long as it tastes OK. It did - salmon with egg mayo on top and cucumber slices. I'll have the rest tomorrow for brunch.

View attachment 37362

PS - then I went and forgot the soup pic. Sorry.

br spr soup.JPG

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Eggs out can be tricky, in my view.

A few weeks ago, we had to lose an hour, between appointments and ended up in a Sainsbury's cafe, as it was the only place available. Stupidly, I chose and omelette. I still can't work out how they achieve the texture of one of these:

View attachment 37361

It takes a special kind of genius.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since we lost FIL and MIL we no longer eat early and need toget to the sofa in time for the Queen’s speech. It always made for a very busy Christmas morning. Now we do our dinner in candlelight at 5pm. We dont do a starter but from 11.30 onwards me and No 1 son do plates of mini smoked salmon on mini bread, prawns on leaves, feta, olive and cherry tomato skewers, parma or serrano ham and melon skewers, tiny pastry cases with quiche filling and other things. We serve it with Champagne and Cremant de Loire and arent to stressed. I quietly get on with cooking the prepared veg and tbh it is quite leisurely.

This sounds absolutely lovely!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.4 FBG 5.6 - well I ventured out to get the last presents and the turkey etc. Last gifts from Next and Boots didn't take too long. Got parked midway between the two but the time to exit to move to the other side at M&S!! Got to M&S, parked and in just before my slot - Eeek, still a massive queue. Took 35 mins in the queue to pick up my order, then into the food hall which had been attacked by a plague of locusts! Got most things but had to stop at Tesco on the way home to get ice cream and mini marshmallows (for the boys not me). I eventually got home at 10.15pm but I have everything now.
B. TAG with ADOC. Slice LC toast with 2 Dairylea triangles on it.
L. A Dairylea triangle!
D. A very late dinner. Remains of the pork from yesterday cold with apple sauce. DGF Millionaire shortbread. Too late for creme brulee but the 3 bottles of LC Baileys were calling to me. So far I have resisted!
@DJC3 - there were loads of red cabbage in our Tesco.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed 5.4 FBG 5.6 - well I ventured out to get the last presents and the turkey etc. Last gifts from Next and Boots didn't take too long. Got parked midway between the two but the time to exit to move to the other side at M&S!! Got to M&S, parked and in just before my slot - Eeek, still a massive queue. Took 35 mins in the queue to pick up my order, then into the food hall which had been attacked by a plague of locusts! Got most things but had to stop at Tesco on the way home to get ice cream and mini marshmallows (for the boys not me). I eventually got home at 10.15pm but I have everything now.
B. TAG with ADOC. Slice LC toast with 2 Dairylea triangles on it.
L. A Dairylea triangle!
D. A very late dinner. Remains of the pork from yesterday cold with apple sauce. DGF Millionaire shortbread. Too late for creme brulee but the 3 bottles of LC Baileys were calling to me. So far I have resisted!
@DJC3 - there were loads of red cabbage in our Tesco.

I’m not brave enough for Tesco today. I’m just hoping our little Coop has more in. I’ll be queuing at the butchers this morning ( beef for this evening, a ham for Boxing Day) then I have to find the remote farm to pick up the turkey. We get our turkey from daughter’s friend’s farm. I’ve often gone along for the ride but will have to find it myself today as she’s come down with the lurgy, poor soul. No parking at the farm - just some muddy tracks and 700 turkeys to be collected. It’ll be mayhem.
Impressive willpower over the Baileys I must say, I would definitely have had a little snifter after that shopping trip.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 24/12/19 Christmas eve
Breakfast: usual low carb porridge, but with an extra 11g protein powder from old canister, 50g greek yoghurt
Lunch: 54g salami, 23g cheese, 120g baby spinach and rocket.
Dinner: 200g steamed broccoli, 100g ham (had been glazed, but didn't eat outside part, and blotted off with paper towel), still judging to be about 7g carbs though.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not brave enough for Tesco today. I’m just hoping our little Coop has more in. I’ll be queuing at the butchers this morning ( beef for this evening, a ham for Boxing Day) then I have to find the remote farm to pick up the turkey. We get our turkey from daughter’s friend’s farm. I’ve often gone along for the ride but will have to find it myself today as she’s come down with the lurgy, poor soul. No parking at the farm - just some muddy tracks and 700 turkeys to be collected. It’ll be mayhem.
Impressive willpower over the Baileys I must say, I would definitely have had a little snifter after that shopping trip.
That's why I was in Tesco just before 10pm last night. I was sorely tempted to go home straight from M&S but my head was saying remember what TESCO is like on Christmas Eve. The fights that break out are incredible. However, I've discovered I'm out of ham stock. If our Farm shop doesn't have it there is no way I'm going near Tesco!!
Hubby is busy with veggie prep for his soup. The boys insist on soup. I've been having a coffee while making Santa Sleighs for the boys. I picked up 2 small bars of chocolate in M&S last night. Also picked up Lindt set with a little Santa and 4 little lindt reindeer (Ok they're rabbits with antlers painted on). The chocolate bar I wrapped in red tissue and glued 2 Candy Canes under it. Cut out a shaped back in green for the rear of the sleigh which now holds mini candy canes. The mini chocolate Santa remained in his Lindt "holder" and that is glued to the front of the "sleigh". The reindeer are joined with red and white twine to form reins for the sleigh. Not as neat as I'd like them to be but Hubby says the boys will be amused plus they can eat it!
They'll also be getting a Kiddy version of Affogato. The adult version is simply good quality ice cream with an espresso and liqueur poured over with a dust of cocoa or cinnamon. The kiddy version has some warm hot chocolate poured over and little bowls of sprinkles for them to do their own thing - I have Christmas sprinkles, mini marshmallows and chocolate stars. Simple dessert for kiddies but messy!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
A few more things needed here but I am only going as far as the local shop to see if I can get them there, Neil having been unable to get them in town last evening. I have to go to the pharmacy anyway, so it's worth a try.

Only tea so far today but I will be having the remaining salmon a bit later. Dinner will probably be pigs in blankets with spinach.

Just realised I forgot to get the big fore rib of beef out of the freezer for cooking tomorrow. Better get on and do that before I forget again!