What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Slept like a log last night and was up comparatively late by my standards. Much slower, shorter walk than usual, but still out in the sun for a few hours. Bliss.

Today’s OMAD was 3 Waitrose free range Cumberland sausages, 2 fried eggs and bacon wrapped halloumi fries - cooked the sausages and the halloumi in the air fryer. Perfect.

31DC5B8E-114A-4D64-8984-C9A62BDE3F5F.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Today I had coffee (black) and tea (with almond milk)until lunchtime
Lunch: 2 fried eggs with Halloumi chips - butchers shut so no bacon to wrap them in. Spread a bit of marmite on and very enjoyable it all was. Thanks @Brunneria. A DGF brownie and cup of tea afterwards.
Dinner will be https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chicken-caprese-casserole which we’ve had before and all enjoyed. Maybe spinach or broccoli with it.
@Chook your story reminded me of the old song ‘My Grandfathers Clock’ do you know it? My mum used to sing it to us.
@PenguinMum I’ve taken some smoked haddock out of the freezer after reading your post. That’ll be our dinner tomorrow. It’s weird how many odd and unexplainable things happen just after funerals. Too many for coincidence Maybe.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all hope all well another busy day but loving the weather can’t believe it will be as cold as predicted in a day or two! I’ve a fair few plants to plant out but I’m still moving them indoors overnight until the cold snap is out of way.
Breakfast two boiled eggs and a toasted chaffle
Lunch cheese, celery sticks and last of lc seeded crackers
Mid pm two hotel chocolat 65%supermilk batons - from a box stored from Easter, they taste very sweet compared to my usual 100% but not too bad carb wise. A VE Day treat!
Dinner wild salmon in lemon butter with green beans and halloumi fries and glass of dry white wine followed by scoop of oppo ice cream.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hi all. Today I had coffee (black) and tea (with almond milk)until lunchtime
Lunch: 2 fried eggs with Halloumi chips - butchers shut so no bacon to wrap them in. Spread a bit of marmite on and very enjoyable it all was. Thanks @Brunneria. A DGF brownie and cup of tea afterwards.
Dinner will be https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chicken-caprese-casserole which we’ve had before and all enjoyed. Maybe spinach or broccoli with it.
@Chook your story reminded me of the old song ‘My Grandfathers Clock’ do you know it? My mum used to sing it to us.
@PenguinMum I’ve taken some smoked haddock out of the freezer after reading your post. That’ll be our dinner tomorrow. It’s weird how many odd and unexplainable things happen just after funerals. Too many for coincidence Maybe.

Just going to Google it....

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.9 FBG 6. Your clock is a bit spooky @Chook. @PenguinMum - my Mum used to sing that to us. I still remember most of the first 2 verses (although one is probably the chorus).
I am still not 100% but didn't expect to be anyway. Sat outside for a bit today which was nice. I do feel a bit better again though (touch wood).

B. TAG and 2 of the GF oatcakes I got in Lidl (never seen them again and there was only 3.2g carbs per oatcake). 2 Dairylea triangles.
L. Another mug of clear veggie broth.
D. Decided I had to come up with something with taste so, since I had aubergine needing used I knocked together another Aubergine Parmigiana. I varied it slightly @DJC3 . No spinach this time but, since Hubby had opened a pack of mortadella yesterday, I put a layer of mortadella in the centre. Hurrah! I could taste it as well and I still have half left.
I may have some Skyr yoghurt later.

@Annb - the clear broth definitely helps to break up this "chestiness ". Hubby is going to make me a batch of chicken broth tomorrow.
I have a Morrisons delivery arriving tomorrow morning thankfully as a lot of my basics have gone.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

hope everyone enjoyed the Bank Hol? It was lovely having a lie in, and not having to get up for work.

hot today. Too hot for Nos 1&2, but No3 is indestructible.
Mainly pottered in garden and watched TV. Oh, and my baby purple lupin arrived. Only slightly squashed in transit. Cant decide where to put it! 3 options. But the place is so cluttered with tubs, baby plants and in-the-middle-of-stuff it just feels too crowded to make a proper decision.

B: for Mr B, made a pumpkin chai latte, and I had a small one.
L: lamb ribs. They are becoming a favorite.
D: pulled pork

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and low carb brownie
Late Lunch: 2 x Babybels followed by Greek yoghurt, lemon chia pudding with low carb vanilla and raspberry granola.
Dinner: Cold roast chicken drumsticks with leafy salad, coleslaw and Wildings duck crackling followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed 6.9 FBG 6. Your clock is a bit spooky @Chook. @PenguinMum - my Mum used to sing that to us. I still remember most of the first 2 verses (although one is probably the chorus).
I am still not 100% but didn't expect to be anyway. Sat outside for a bit today which was nice. I do feel a bit better again though (touch wood).

B. TAG and 2 of the GF oatcakes I got in Lidl (never seen them again and there was only 3.2g carbs per oatcake). 2 Dairylea triangles.
D. Decided I had to come up with something with taste so, since I had aubergine needing used I knocked together another Aubergine Parmigiana. I varied it slightly @DJC3 . No spinach this time but, since Hubby had opened a pack of mortadella yesterday, I put a layer of mortadella in the centre. Hurrah! I could taste it as well and I still have half left.

@Annb - the clear broth definitely helps to break up this "chestiness ". Hubby is going to make me a batch of chicken broth tomorrow.
I have a Morrisons delivery arriving tomorrow morning thankfully as a lot of my basics have gone.

Glad the aubergine parmigiana worked well without the spinach, and even better news you could taste it. I still haven’t tried it sadly as our small local shops don’t sell ‘exotic’ stuff. As soon as lockdown is over I’m going to get some.
We will both be singing ‘My Grandfathers clock’ all evening now: tick tock, tick tock.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I don't know why I forgot about broth but I made some veggie broth from a stock pot gel thing because I had none ready to use. It didn't really satisfy but it did knock my BG down. It's been pretty reasonable today. There's no effect on my chestiness though but I try to ignore that anyway.

I taught Em the song "My Grandfather's Clock" some time last year. She loved it, especially the chorus and the "tick, tock" bits. I learned it from my father about 70 years ago.

Breakfast was scrambled eggs with some grated cheddar.
Lunch was the veg broth but I did have a few slivers of cheese and apple halfway through the afternoon.
Evening meal was smoked mackerel with some of the beany stew from my kind of cassoulet a couple of days ago (without any sausage). Haven't checked BG yet to see what that did.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was a lovely day, but a hungry day.

Breakfast - the first of a new batch of home made yoghurt, with some home made strawberry compote.
Lunch - a ginagerous salad, with coleslaw and leftover roast beef.
Dinner - MrB fancied village chippie, fish and chips. He is very allergic to all manner of fish, but he gets away with it from there, and enjoys it, so that was it. I had a ginagerous chicken leg quarter, rubbed with lemon pepper, then air fried. We shared a portion of mushy peas, and I unashamedly stole a few chips.

We're just like Jack Sprat and his wife, when it comes to chips. MrB likes the big fat ones, and I like the silly, skinny, crispy ones.

I don't like the McD's style of chips. Sometimes that level of fickle comes in handy in chip avoidance.

A question for you all foodie friends. Does anyone have or have experience of one of these? https://www.creamsupplies.co.uk/soda-splash-carbonator-infuser

I rather fancy it, for a few reasons.

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Back to a three egg cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes.
Lunch: NZ mussels, couple of Dutch roll mops and beer.
Dinner: Steak and veggies, pan juice gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee, beer, water.

The dog turned fifteen this year, it has had many places to perch in the office. It's on top of a the light with stubbie fly stopper on it's head.

mswS3uV.jpg

Edit: Added pix.

Last edited by a moderator:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
08-05-2020
Breakfast: nut granola,CWC x2, bacon melt.
CWC
Lunch: Ham saladand home made coleslaw.greek yoghurt and raspberries water and tea.
tea in the afternoon, think it was only one cup, not sure now.
dinner: shoulder pork chop, roast celeriac, red cabbage and green beans. water and wine .

@DJC3 Spoonful of marmite! OOh No. ( Used to ) like it with butter on bread, but on toast the butter melts so fast you need a lot more marmite and then its a bit strong. Peanut butter?. Pass me the spoon Really miss peanit butter. It is obtainable here, but stuffed full of sugar and at about four times the price. There might be some in the post, possibly with a bar or two of chocolate. Teabags arrived yesterday. Situation was getting desperate - down to seven left. same thing with teabags, ridiculously expensive, plus they come individually wrapped. Sometimes in two layers, when they are already inside a box which has a plastic wrapper. Packaging taken to extremes.
Just remembered I used to make eggy bread with marmite, I could eat that easily now. might not be the same with low carb bread though.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Breakfast - the first of a new batch of home made yoghurt, with some home made strawberry compote.
Dinner - MrB fancied village chippie, fish and chips. He is very allergic to all manner of fish, but he gets away with it from there, and enjoys it, so that was it. I had a ginagerous chicken leg quarter, rubbed with lemon pepper, then air fried. We shared a portion of mushy peas, and I unashamedly stole a few chips.

We're just like Jack Sprat and his wife, when it comes to chips. MrB likes the big fat ones, and I like the silly, skinny, crispy ones.

I don't like the McD's style of chips. Sometimes that level of fickle comes in handy in chip avoidance.

A question for you all foodie friends. Does anyone have or have experience of one of these? https://www.creamsupplies.co.uk/soda-splash-carbonator-infuser

I took a perk at the soda carbonator. I think each mini gas serves one drink, might have read that wrong, wasnt sure. I bought a Sodastream a few weeks ago and happy with it except it has brittle plastic casing, bottles the same. The starter pack cost just shy of £100 which was very expensive for the quality I thought. Also it takes up quite a bit of space so that other option could be very suitable and the price and quality look good. I see the mini gas is out of stock atm.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took a perk at the soda carbonator. I think each mini gas serves one drink, might have read that wrong, wasnt sure. I bought a Sodastream a few weeks ago and happy with it except it has brittle plastic casing, bottles the same. The starter pack cost just shy of £100 which was very expensive for the quality I thought. Also it takes up quite a bit of space so that other option could be very suitable and the price and quality look good. I see the mini gas is out of stock atm.

Not challenging your choice at all, PenguinMum, but I doubt this would be a used every day item (although who knows), and I like that the whole unit can go in the fridge, once carbonated, and that it can infuse thicker liquids. Though I imagine that to be slightly thicker liquids.

Decisions haven't been made yet, so I am still open to persuasion, contrarian views, and tales of experiences.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I don't have experience of that in particular but I do have experience of Cream Supplies which is all good. They supply the trade as well as joe public. Son and DIL are very fond of barista "stuff" and I got all of it from Cream Supplies. Everything I've got from them has been good quality and excellent delivery times as well as value for money.
Must have a closer look at this bottle though.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have experience of that in particular but I do have experience of Cream Supplies which is all good. They supply the trade as well as joe public. Son and DIL are very fond of barista "stuff" and I got all of it from Cream Supplies. Everything I've got from them has been good quality and excellent delivery times as well as value for money.
Must have a closer look at this bottle though.

The suggestion (not to me, I might add, but I can be gullible in that way...) was from someone who appears to know their cooking/catering onions.

I haven't bought anything from Cream Supplies in the past, but have looked at their cream "whippers", which are, of course, a variation on this thing, only with a delivery mechanism in the head.

(OK, that last bit is probably a bit simplistic, but my mind likes simplistic)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good morning all, beautiful day!

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered Burgen soldiers
Lunch: Actimel drink and a smallish piece of Lidl Dolce Gorgonzola
Dinner: aubergine with halloumi, h/m houmous, a warm pea, broadbean and artichoke hearts 'salad', tomato, feta and black olive salad and a cucumber and red pepper salad and a warm cheesey dippy thing from Lidl with raw veggies to dip

Rather too much cheese today!

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
08-05-2020
Breakfast: nut granola,CWC x2, bacon melt.
CWC
Lunch: Ham saladand home made coleslaw.greek yoghurt and raspberries water and tea.
tea in the afternoon, think it was only one cup, not sure now.
dinner: shoulder pork chop, roast celeriac, red cabbage and green beans. water and wine .

@DJC3 Spoonful of marmite! OOh No. ( Used to ) like it with butter on bread, but on toast the butter melts so fast you need a lot more marmite and then its a bit strong. Peanut butter?. Pass me the spoon Really miss peanit butter. It is obtainable here, but stuffed full of sugar and at about four times the price. There might be some in the post, possibly with a bar or two of chocolate. Teabags arrived yesterday. Situation was getting desperate - down to seven left. same thing with teabags, ridiculously expensive, plus they come individually wrapped. Sometimes in two layers, when they are already inside a box which has a plastic wrapper. Packaging taken to extremes.
Just remembered I used to make eggy bread with marmite, I could eat that easily now. might not be the same with low carb bread though.

I couldn’t eat marmite by the spoonful either, I don’t like it too strong, but peanut butter or almond butter by the jar!
What a relief about the teabags, that could have been calamitous.

Edit to finish post as I got distracted.

Last edited: