What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cat still happy!
I also had a ridiculous adventure with various rabbits and a hole in the fence this morning. The most memorable part being seeing the rabbit I knew to have died 4 days ago from shock after being chased by the dogs and having fled in their burrough happily hopping around in the garden again :). Guess it didn't die after all!

Tuna-egg muffins sound perfect! A quick google search showed many recipes. Do you have a favourite recipe I can use?
I like the idea with the hot stone, I might just use that for the muffins :)

Do you already have gallstones or are you afraid of getting them?

For the sort of adventure you've planned, I find roasted chicken thighs to be perfect. Each one wrapped in foil means as much or as little to eat at any given time. They are perfect finger food, and the wrapping can be partially removed to hold the chicken whilst eating, which is useful if clean hands could be a challenge.

Clearly, the chicken is fine hot or cold.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 - Surprisingly the cauli rice does absorb a fair amount of stock. Not as much as normal risotto rice but a fair amount. The trick is to add gradually and keep tasting until you get the texture that suits you. @zauberflote - oh yes, weight loss has been a work in progress for ages! I was largely immobile for 2 years after my "disagreement" with a very large articulated lorry at speed. Result, I put on a lot of weight. I wasn't diabetic either and, since moving about was difficult, cooking was also very difficult. Once I was diagnosed about 18 months post spinal surgery I managed to persuade a gym to allow me to join. Members & staff were great. They would help me in & out of the pool. Aqua was my saviour at that point as I discovered I had to teach my legs to swim again (if I couldn't see my feet they wouldn't send signals to my brain). I went into the gym itself and had a member of staff watching me like a hawk for months. Weight loss was slow because I was yet to learn the "eat well" plate didn't work. Anyway, cut a long story short I've shed 55 lbs in total since those days and I'd like to lose the same again. Anyway, today. Bed 5.8 FBG 5.6 and I've been back in the 4's today.
B. TAG and a little later, a SLC sandwich with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing as I was fulfilling taxi duties getting DIL to pharmacy then chiropractor while amusing elder grandson. Dropped them home then picked up son to go to Costco & Lidl. 5 hrs later I was back home.
Snack - late afternoon another TAG and a one slice SLC sandwich with egg mayo and a Lotus biscuit.
D. Once again SLC bread left me not hungry but eventually I had 3 mini ribs, 2 mini duck spring rolls and 6 prawns that I skewered and dipped in egg then coconut. A weird assortment again.

I need to stop eating SLC bread late in the day. Another oddity about SLC products, my BGs fall!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and raspberry phd bar
Late Lunch: Greek yoghurt, dark chocolate covered almonds and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner Chinese takeaway: crispy duck, veggies, 2 small pancakes and a smidge of sauce followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was in the process of chopping vegetables for my soup (having realised that there was far too much for my 1 litre soup maker, I decided to use the old-fashioned way and use the hob and big soup pot) when Em, her mum and dad came in. So I didn't get the soup made until much later, then it was time for a Zoom meeting, so I didn't get to have any. I will have it shortly. It's a quasi ratatouille.

DIL says that the new mum, less than 24 hours after her C-section, was told she was being discharged with the baby. both well enough to leave (apparently and struggle with all their bits and pieces back to Stornoway). She explained that she would have to wait until her mum came to collect them all, so they accepted that she can stay until tomorrow. DIL has to take the car on the ferry and go to Aberdeen to pick them all up. She doesn't intend to bring them straight back and has booked accommodation in Aberdeen for one night anyway, then has found an apartment to rent for a couple of days in Inverness. Then she'll bring them home. I'm astonished that the hospital intended to discharge mother and baby less than 24 hours after a C-section, especially to travel so far and cluttered with 4 weeks worth of stuff and new baby stuff etc. DIL was a nurse and I think she will handle everything properly.

Now some soup.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was in the process of chopping vegetables for my soup (having realised that there was far too much for my 1 litre soup maker, I decided to use the old-fashioned way and use the hob and big soup pot) when Em, her mum and dad came in. So I didn't get the soup made until much later, then it was time for a Zoom meeting, so I didn't get to have any. I will have it shortly. It's a quasi ratatouille.

DIL says that the new mum, less than 24 hours after her C-section, was told she was being discharged with the baby. both well enough to leave (apparently and struggle with all their bits and pieces back to Stornoway). She explained that she would have to wait until her mum came to collect them all, so they accepted that she can stay until tomorrow. DIL has to take the car on the ferry and go to Aberdeen to pick them all up. She doesn't intend to bring them straight back and has booked accommodation in Aberdeen for one night anyway, then has found an apartment to rent for a couple of days in Inverness. Then she'll bring them home. I'm astonished that the hospital intended to discharge mother and baby less than 24 hours after a C-section, especially to travel so far and cluttered with 4 weeks worth of stuff and new baby stuff etc. DIL was a nurse and I think she will handle everything properly.

Now some soup.
I imagine, bearing in mind the health challenges out there at the moment, that they would be keen for patients per se to return to their own homes, where they can relax and get to know their new family member.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I imagine, bearing in mind the health challenges out there at the moment, that they would be keen for patients per se to return to their own homes, where they can relax and get to know their new family member.

I did think that myself. But I still think it was too soon, especially knowing the difficulty of the journey from Aberdeen to Stornoway. I know that, after I had surgery to remove thyroid and parathyroid in Inverness (fairly minor surgery), I was very glad to have Neil to bring me home four days later. I couldn't have managed it if I'd had to go by bus and plane, or by bus and ferry. Aberdeen is a much more difficult journey away from here. Anyway, DIL is heading off on the 7 am ferry to pick them up and she will have it all in hand.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast two chunks of cheese and another of the tiny slices of wholemeal bread with peanut butter. CWC
Lunch, one slice pain kapnor with porc rillettes, cornichon and a salad of lettuce and spring onion garnished with a single radish. Tea.
Dinner sausages cooked on the BBC, along with peppers and a squash of some sort. We thought it was a round courgette, but proved to be very different once cut. Can anyone identify it.
We finished off the cheesecake thing. Should have taken pic for you to ogle but you will have to make do with images of squash instead. Glass of wine.
Greedy me then had several pieces of emmental just because it was there. Coffee, tea and lemon tea in the evening..
It amazes me how one apparently small extra task can take the whole morning.
But have managed to get some things sorted into the motorhome.
@PenguinMum glad to read you are recovering
@Annb welcome to baby Rue, so pleased all is well with her and Mum.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Cat still happy!
I also had a ridiculous adventure with various rabbits and a hole in the fence this morning. The most memorable part being seeing the rabbit I knew to have died 4 days ago from shock after being chased by the dogs and having fled in their burrough happily hopping around in the garden again :). Guess it didn't die after all!

Tuna-egg muffins sound perfect! A quick google search showed many recipes. Do you have a favourite recipe I can use?
I like the idea with the hot stone, I might just use that for the muffins :)

Do you already have gallstones or are you afraid of getting them?

That is a hoot about the rabbit! Maybe rabbits "play possum" too!
Re the tuna muffin thing, I looked at my recipe on CopyMeThat (do you have that app? We were all trading info and adding each other to our circles or whatever it is, something over a year ago) and see that I haven't really finished with it yet. It came from badtuber.com where it may be called Muffin Style Tuna Melts. I wanted to add flax meal to all that constipatory cheese, and I guess I stalled out. My note does say, "VERY handy for travel"! I'm sure the Dutch invented the hot stone thing for the sleighs on the frozen canals lol! I know people here used heated bricks to keep their feet warm during church in colonial times. And of course all the children carried a fresh hot baked potato to school with them to keep warm with and then eat for lunch! Never could persuade my mother to do that for us, back when we walked 5 miles [three blocks] in the snow [yep] uphill both ways [one way] to school back in the day. Is that an American thing? The oldsters telling their kids about walking through the snow etc to school? It is an old old joke.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@maglil55 that might be the first time I've heard your lorry story (that doesn't work in American lol! "Tractor trailer" or "semi" doesn't rhyme anywhere"). Your avatar looks like if it lost even 10 lb it would blow away in a breeze!
@Annb they do that with C-sections these days, pandemic or no! They don't care about where you have to go, they just want the bed free. Glad DIL was a nurse-- I feel better about mum&babe!
@SlimLizzy I see no squash pic? Did it look like this?
IMG_1602981002.181543.jpg

My chicken soup got cauliflower added in and just kept warm in the IP until I wanted it. The cauli picked up the broth nicely, a very good thing because it had started out all shriveled up and freezer-burned. I put spinach on the bottom of the soup bowl and then had to microwave it bc the soup wasn't hot enough! It was an okay meal. Not worth writing home about. I am fantasizing about the rich cabbage borscht, and the butternut squash stew I used to make, but can't have any more.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was going to have some more of yesterday's soup for breakfast. However, the loads of veg in it were a mistake, so I shall have scrambled egg later, once the Loperamide has taken effect. Meantime I will keep up the fluid levels.

I'll have to be careful about another meal to make sure to go a bit easy on my innards. May just have more egg - that shouldn't be too fierce. Scrambled egg is always the safe option.

Just have to pack the soup into bags and freeze it for some other time.

No 2 son has to go back to work tomorrow so Em will come to me. The school is closed until Thursday (half term). The 2 gr grandchildren will go to Em's elder brother who will look after them in their own house in Stornoway. He's hoping to be able to keep up with his college (online) work at the same time, but I don't hold out much hope of that. It's only for a day or so until DIL gets back. No 2 son will be looking after the laundry to make sure they don't lose impetus, so he'll be working all day and then doing laundry during the evening. Thank goodness for families!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 thanks for the link to meatza. I really appreciate the thought but on reflection I know my limits and that would be a step too far. So thoughtful though. B=Tea; L - 14.00 ish = 800 mls Hot chocolate/cocoa (Aldi C, boiling water and liquid sweetener, a little double cream); pastrami and cucumber sandwich (M bread); EM will be: Roast chicken, roast veggies (mushrooms, tomatoes, mini cucumber, head of broccoli) gravy - stopped trying to eat roast chicken without even a little gravy anymore carby or not. I much prefer salad but Julie likes some form of recognisable Sunday lunch so I try to play along. Big week ™ ahead. I hope @Bex72 and @PenguinMum continue to progress.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
3.45 pm -- had some scrambled egg about an hour ago and am finally beginning to feel kind of human again. Also feeling hungry. Might have some fish instead of egg later on. More drinks for now. I actually fancy some salami and some parma ham, but I think that might just upset the apple cart again. Maybe some smoked mackerel in an omelette. Yes, I think that might fit the bill.

Bought myself a smoke box from Amazon. It wasn't exactly what I expected, but I think, with a bit of fiddling around, it might enable me to smoke my own fish. Worth a try anyway. Also couldn't resist ordering more fruit plants - tayberry, cranberry and loganberry (the tayberry and the loganberry might be very similar). Neil also pointed out that we have one whitebeam which bears edible fruit, although most of the fruits have fallen this year. Worth adding to the mixed berry salady things next year.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Squash pics as mentioned in previous post.
Don't think it is a round courgette, the striations on the skin are yellowish, and the flesh inside is firm and orange. Not at all sweet or fibrous. Texture: bit firmer than butternut squash when cooked.
20201017_195041.jpeg
20201017_195113.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. I should be finished eating for today ( can’t guarantee it though) had breakfast today after finding a packet of Dr Almond Schwarzbrot in the back of the cupboard so I made that and had a couple of slices toasted with mashed avocado and a tiny bit of chilli. I’d forgotten how much I like the bread and at less than 6g carbs for the whole loaf it’s a real bonus.
Dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/slow-cooked-keto-pork-roast-gravy which was great. American style gravy so more of a creamy sauce to my mind, but still made with the meat liquor and some good flavours. Roast sprouts, broccoli and a couple of green beans with it then 2 squares Montezuma’s mint chocolate. No wine, still doing sober October. @Chook where are you? I need to compare TT notes.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Managed 90 mins of “autumn clearing” in the garden this morning which was enjoyable and without the “jelly legs” of last time I was out there two weeks ago. Tired now.
had brunch of fried mushrooms, tomato and two eggs afterwards.
Roast chicken dinner here with roasted chunks of aubergine (needs using up) and red onion. Agree with @ianpspurs about a little gravy. Thanks for the enquiry, I seem to be doing good though temperature jumps around a bit though not today. I hope @Bex72 is feeling much better as I know she has had a rough time of it. I know I would have found it difficult with children coming down with it at the same time. It must depend a lot on viral load. So much unknown about this still.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum Glad to hear you are feeling better. I'm not sure if the corned beef base would work. It might well do, depends in thickness and how sloppy the topping. There are other pizza base ideas on the Keto Fitness Club website. Its UK based and run by a dad with teenagers so lots of easy, adaptable recipes. There's a linseed base one, and a meat lovers one. Unfortunately links don't work but its easy to find. They also sell books of the recipes which I like as I hate cooking from a screen
Thanks. I dont like the sound of fathead or meatza. Does the corned beef base for the quiche crisp up in the oven and if so how long and at what temperature? Might be worth an experiment!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did think that myself. But I still think it was too soon, especially knowing the difficulty of the journey from Aberdeen to Stornoway. I know that, after I had surgery to remove thyroid and parathyroid in Inverness (fairly minor surgery), I was very glad to have Neil to bring me home four days later. I couldn't have managed it if I'd had to go by bus and plane, or by bus and ferry. Aberdeen is a much more difficult journey away from here. Anyway, DIL is heading off on the 7 am ferry to pick them up and she will have it all in hand.
I was going to say that is one heck of a journey. Your DIL is quite right to break it up.

Reactions: zauberflote

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Squash pics as mentioned in previous post.
Don't think it is a round courgette, the striations on the skin are yellowish, and the flesh inside is firm and orange. Not at all sweet or fibrous. Texture: bit firmer than butternut squash when cooked.
View attachment 44715View attachment 44716
Might be a kabocha squash but they usually have a seedy hollow in the middle. Acorn squash I thought about but exterior is normally shaped in segments. Kabocha has loads of roasting recipes.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All
Managed 90 mins of “autumn clearing” in the garden this morning which was enjoyable and without the “jelly legs” of last time I was out there two weeks ago. Tired now.
had brunch of fried mushrooms, tomato and two eggs afterwards.
Roast chicken dinner here with roasted chunks of aubergine (needs using up) and red onion. Agree with @ianpspurs about a little gravy. Thanks for the enquiry, I seem to be doing good though temperature jumps around a bit though not today. I hope @Bex72 is feeling much better as I know she has had a rough time of it. I know I would have found it difficult with children coming down with it at the same time. It must depend a lot on viral load. So much unknown about this still.
Don't overdo it. Build up gradually. I kept knocking myself back by trying to do things and I discovered it was a case of moderation then rest. You get fatigued very easily. Glad you are continuing to improve xx

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 hoorayy for happy cat and you! And oh my enjoy the sailing! How about tuna-egg "muffins"?
I've made them, using this recipe (more or less): https://hip2keto.com/recipes/spicy-keto-tuna-melt-cups/.

Very, very tasty!
I've eaten this one hot from the oven, hopefully they will be just as good when eaten cold :)
There are 4 left to take with me to share tomorrow, and tonights dinner will be bell pepper filled with the same batter, which I expect to be very nice. The other bell pepper I've filled with a mixture of onion, chorizo and cheese.

Thanks for the idea, @zauberflote !

122168137_10222036226209050_8969687482747771469_o.jpg