What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, also had covid booster today. For some reason our local centre wasn't coming up on the list of locations so ended up going to a Hindu Temple several miles away. Made a change.
A covid booster in a Hindu temple sounds festive!

I had green beans with cream cheese for dinner, with spicy pork belly pieces I found in the freezer.
A ridiculous combination, but very little work and it tasted good all the same! :)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh well, if no-one else has experience with diabetic friendly uses of clotted cream I'll just open the pot and taste it so I can invent a use for it!
Should be much easier for someone like me, not hindered by knowing what it should be used like, as I've never had a scone either. :)

And in the worst case scenario I'll just have very happy dogs and cats! :happy:
You could use it in Irish Coffee, replace the whipped cream with the clotted stuff.

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You could use it in Irish Coffee, replace the whipped cream with the clotted stuff.
Sounds delicious!
My neighbour (the one living in my garden) has whisky, and it's weekend (and he hasn't paid the rent yet :D), so I might have a go at that tomorrow!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I blame all you for keep mentioning buying cakes. I'm trying to avoid temptation and cost by making my own. Now have both chocolate and coffe cake frozen.
I am very tempted to get a red box Lions Club Traditional Xmas cake this year, I do not think it will kill me this year.

Instant double figure bgl after eating a slice of this stuff though. :meh:

Humanitarian-Christmas-Cakes-All-Products-1030x600.jpg

For some reason our local centre wasn't coming up on the list of locations so ended up going to a Hindu Temple several miles away. Made a change.

Thank you, call again... :D

Reactions: shelley262

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three slices of middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, tomatoes, mushrooms for breakfast.
Just the lemon cordial brew for smoko.
Grilled Nile perch fillets, mixed salad, tub of pineapple jelly for lunch.
Leftover piece of cold fish and some salad in a low carb wrap for supper at six.

Our friends dog was happy with the chicken necks, he was that excited he forgot to pee on the truck wheels.

Win win all the way there.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't have an egg for my 2nd meal. I decided to fry the last of the cabbage in butter and had that. Not many carbs and a few calories in the butter. All that my stomach needed.

No 2 son was in to pick his daughter up but he's feeling very poorly after having his 2 jabs (covid and flu) yesterday. Luckily, most of the mail didn't get to the Island from Inverness (that will cause a delay) so today's delivery was fairly light. DIL has also being feeling very poorly after she had her covid jab to take up her new role as a home car worker. Unfortunately, she can't sit around feeling sorry for herself, she has been doing training for the job all week. My cleaner, who is also a home care worker, has just recovered after 3 weeks off with her 2 children and herself having covid, one after the other. She says she's exhausted and was trying to ease herself back to work with her private clients but tonight she is back into harness properly. Not sure she is fit for it; it seems to have taken an awful lot out of her.

Apparently our ferry has been off again for the last 2 days and shelves in the shops are pretty empty. Not sure what that means for the big order that I put into Tesco for delivery tomorrow. Time will tell.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slices slc bread toasted and buttered and filled with corned beef. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - Large mushroom & onion omlette. 2 squares lindtt 90% and another mug of earl grey tea.

I ordered from dgf too but I just went for the christmassy mixed box as I got them last week and really enjoyed them. I don't fancy the mince pies and what's the christmas pudding like folks - if anyone has tried them?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday 23 November - bed & FBG both 7.9. Physio straight after school drop off and with Mum & Dad both working and me at Physio youngest just had to pick that as a "let's act up at school" day. By the time I got back matters were resolving themselves.

B. TAG
L. Slice of SLC toast with pate. DGF lemon cookie. Some of the coconut milk.
D. Pork ribs (which I put a fair bit heat into with a rub) a welcome sour cream & chive dip, coleslaw.
Blackberries and brandy cream.

Wednesday 24 November - bed 7.8 FBG 7.9

Another rushing about day. Visiting relatives away on another day trip so I'll be feeding grandsons before collecting them on return.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with whipped cheese.
L. Nothing - we went to collect my birthday/Christmas present from Hubby.
D. After feeding boys/taking home to Dad/ collecting the travellers, it was a bit late so ended up with a smoked sausage.

Thursday 25 November - bed 7.3 FBG 7.8. Had the boys a little longer than usual as their Mum was busy with a Thanksgiving dinner prep.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with whipped cheese.

L. Nothing.

D. 6 chicken wings with sour cream dip. Blackberries/ raspberries and a dollop of brandy cream. This was my birthday meal but we're all going out tomorrow.

I was laughing because my birthday/Christmas gift made me think about the time my brother bought his wife a hoover for Christmas and almost got it wrapped around his skull! Yes I got a new "hoover". Difference is I wanted it as it's one of the Dyson cordless "sticks". Hubby was relieved I didn't want the outsize as it was too big and too heavy (and a ridiculous price). Anything that makes life easier is welcome to me.

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn't have an egg for my 2nd meal. I decided to fry the last of the cabbage in butter and had that. Not many carbs and a few calories in the butter. All that my stomach needed.

No 2 son was in to pick his daughter up but he's feeling very poorly after having his 2 jabs (covid and flu) yesterday. Luckily, most of the mail didn't get to the Island from Inverness (that will cause a delay) so today's delivery was fairly light. DIL has also being feeling very poorly after she had her covid jab to take up her new role as a home car worker. Unfortunately, she can't sit around feeling sorry for herself, she has been doing training for the job all week. My cleaner, who is also a home care worker, has just recovered after 3 weeks off with her 2 children and herself having covid, one after the other. She says she's exhausted and was trying to ease herself back to work with her private clients but tonight she is back into harness properly. Not sure she is fit for it; it seems to have taken an awful lot out of her.

Apparently our ferry has been off again for the last 2 days and shelves in the shops are pretty empty. Not sure what that means for the big order that I put into Tesco for delivery tomorrow. Time will tell.
The ferry situation is absolutely ridiculous. These two rusting hulls in Greenock are costing taxpayers a small fortune and I doubt they'll ever be finished. Were they not supposed to be leasing ferries from somewhere?

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - greek yoghurt & mixed berries. I still didn't feel full so I thought I will have a teaspoonful of that extra thick cream I bought at Morrisons last night for the dgf order - honestly if I have it in the house ... anyways it was the last one on the shelf and I thought it looked at bit weird but I still bought it... I have opened it and one side of it is a bit wattery and breaking up (so I put that half in the bin) - I was just going to put it all in the bin and then I thought I would ask you experts before I do - it smells & tastes ok - would you keep it or bin it???

Dinner (will be) - roast chicken, brussel sprouts, broccoli & a little carrot.

We are meeting up and going out with friends tonight so a lot of alcohol will follow that :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looks like a nice blue cheese to try.

We used to get a imported Danish blue cheese at Woolies but it has been unavailable since 2020 BC* it beat some of the local blue cheeses for taste and texture.

*Before Covid not Before Jesus.
Of course we have those who object to the use of BC/AD preferring instead BCE/CE. Another thing I only found out due to home schooling the grandson. Me? It's still BC/AD but I'll retain Before Covid to catch out any "wokerati".

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brunch - greek yoghurt & mixed berries. I still didn't feel full so I thought I will have a teaspoonful of that extra thick cream I bought at Morrisons last night for the dgf order - honestly if I have it in the house ... anyways it was the last one on the shelf and I thought it looked at bit weird but I still bought it... I have opened it and one side of it is a bit wattery and breaking up (so I put that half in the bin) - I was just going to put it all in the bin and then I thought I would ask you experts before I do - it smells & tastes ok - would you keep it or bin it???

Dinner (will be) - roast chicken, brussel sprouts, broccoli & a little carrot.

We are meeting up and going out with friends tonight so a lot of alcohol will follow that :)
It sometimes happens with extra thick mostly. Was it open slightly when you bought it? If so either ditch it or contact Morrisons and they will refund it if you tell then you didn't notice the seal was broken. If it was sealed and in date it will be fine but never trust one with a broken seal.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday 26 November - bed 7.2 FBG 7.4.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with salmon mousse.

L. Nothing. Was away for flu jab at chemist. No queue and no reaction.

D. 9 of us at the Thai. Bits of lots of things. Squid, veggies, Thai fishcake, one 1/4 of chicken toast, chicken wing. Mains - I know the owner so they do me stir fried cauliflower rice. Choo Chee prawns (done in red curry), bits of crispy fried sea bass with chilli, couple of bits of duck from the jungle curry and picked at a lot of veg from the other plates. Way too much wine and an Irish coffee.

Probably the worst weather we've experienced in a long time but the meal was excellent.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It sometimes happens with extra thick mostly. Was it open slightly when you bought it? If so either ditch it or contact Morrisons and they will refund it if you tell then you didn't notice the seal was broken. If it was sealed and in date it will be fine but never trust one with a broken seal.
There was dried cream on the outside which I cleaned off and didn't appear to be from this one, lid was still firmly on and in date until 3/12 but I have just binned it so I wont have any more. Why should you never have it if the seal is broken?

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast; 2 slices of bacon, poached egg, guacamole and tomatoes on half a slice of sourdough
snack; mocha
lunch; eat natural low sugar granola, one slice hi lo
dinner; undecided. was due to go to thai restaurant tonight but cancelled due to weather:mad:. What a disappointment

ps. SLC bread rolls arrived today, yippee. Trying out their new hot dog rolls

decided to have two fried eggs on one of the SLC rolls for dinner, which was strangely satisfying and disgusting in equal measures! Am now trying to mitigate this with berries and cream:angelic: there may be montezumas 70% buttons too, but Ill have to check with the nutracheck app. Think my appetite is coming back...

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There was dried cream on the outside which I cleaned off and didn't appear to be from this one, lid was still firmly on and in date until 3/12 but I have just binned it so I wont have any more. Why should you never have it if the seal is broken?
Because it leaves it open to bacteria plus you don't know if (although rare) some nut job has deliberately contaminated it. I've had the odd one where a crack or break has occurred and they always remove and change them rather than risk a customer falling ill. Sounds like yours has been next to a carton that had a crack.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
D. 9 of us at the Thai. Bits of lots of things. Squid, veggies, Thai fishcake, one 1/4 of chicken toast, chicken wing. Mains - I know the owner so they do me stir fried cauliflower rice. Choo Chee prawns (done in red curry), bits of crispy fried sea bass with chilli, couple of bits of duck from the jungle curry and picked at a lot of veg from the other plates. Way too much wine and an Irish coffee.
Very, very jealous @maglil55 :sour: