What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I cannot seem to stop snacking at the moment and have just eaten a handful of mixed nuts. The thing is if I eat them after 8pm I start feeling rather warm half an hour later and my sugar spikes. It seems to happen with most things I eat after a certain time of evening.

Reactions: DJC3

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hia what is shelf life of the cakes at Deliciouslyguiltfree?
When they arrive there is usually a best before date on the bottom of the box (at least a week away) and there is a note sometimes in with them which recommends keeping them in the fridge and using within the week (you have to keep them in the fridge or they will go off quickly). I find that usually after a couple of days they don't look as fresh so after the couple of days I put what is left in the freezer and just take them out as I want them (they take around an hour to defrost or 30 secs in microwave) but more recently there is some I have just put straight in to the freezer if I know I am not going to eat them within a day or two - but that is just me I am a bit of a freshness freak I think - they keep for a couple of months in the freezer.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two Mexican sausages, two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms for brakfast.
Tub of yoghurt, lemon cordial osmolax mix for smoko.
Rib fillet, a mixed salad of various bits and pieces, two spoonfuls of mango sorbet for lunch.
Leftover salad in a low carb wrap, half a mandarin with a tub of low sugar pineapple jelly for supper at six.

Our online shopping list has been upgraded as the old one got a few bugs in it. the main list is around seven pages long and was getting jumbled up when "select by aisle" was selected,

All fixed now, and the list is a page shorter, now all the unavailable stuff has been deleted.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cannot seem to stop snacking at the moment and have just eaten a handful of mixed nuts. The thing is if I eat them after 8pm I start feeling rather warm half an hour later and my sugar spikes. It seems to happen with most things I eat after a certain time of evening.

Same here, If I eat late it affects me more and my fbg is higher. I’ve started making our evening meal a lot earlier now - as near to 5pm as I can. Luckily my OH starts work at 6am so he’s usually home by then.
Evening snacking is a hard habit to kick though isn’t it? Lots of green tea is helping me at the moment.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Roasted a chicken yesterday and a couple of lamb chops - just to get them done before they got to their use by date. Also made some half decent gravy for use today. So I guess that will make today's meals as well as the cabbage that I steamed. Just thinking about it is making my stomach churn just now. That's not a good sign.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: meat sliced from one cold lamb chop. Gave me awful indigestion. Drinking water to get it under control.

Took the 2nd lamb chop and cut it up, added lots of veg and some stock to make a meal for later - hope it won't bother my stomach this time around.

Might just slice/chop/tear up the roasted chicken and put it into the freezer to use at a later date. The thought of chicken just turns my stomach just now.

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
breakfast; eat natural low sugar granola, two slices of hi lo with butter
snack; starbucks mocha (sachet)
lunch: turukey salad in low carb wrap with mayo and a pickled shallot! Liked this better than traditional pickled onions. homemade low carb cookie.
tea; Sausage, egg, tomatoes and mushrooms, raspberries and a spoon of baileys double cream.
snack; six montezuma 70% buttons

DGF mince pies arriving today, bought 12 for the festive season - straight into the freezer I think!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch eggs scrambled in butter with half a lc hm roll followed by yoghurt and three squares of 90% chocolate
Dinner partridge wrapped in Parma ham with asparagus and mushroom cream sauce - just mushrooms cooked in butter and meat juices and a big pour of double cream heated up to bubbling point. First partridge I’ve tried and loved it - Im into game at the moment as it’s seasonal and partridge tasted something like a well hung turkey or pork a bit less gamey in taste compared to venison and pheasant. Pudding DGF brownie warmed and then served with spoon of yoghurt.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke at 4 am, couldn’t get back to sleep and I’ve spent most of the day cold and hungry.
B 1 h/b egg and a handful of nuts before dashing out into the cold to make community larder food deliveries. Straight on to retinopathy eye check then out to Truro Christmas market.
Quick dash into M&S - no seedy crackers but bought rollitos and Honduras prawns to eat on the way home.
D- air fried duck breast with green beans and mushrooms ( burnt another pan - put them on to sauté gently and got distracted until the house filled with smoke) DGF forest fruits crumble warmed with cream. Really liked this one, I can see why it’s so popular.

Oh I also popped into Hotel Chocolat and got a packet of the 85% batons for £3 as the ribbon was broken. Result.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Missed posting yesterday so two days of food in this post!

Thursday:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a Phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a Carb Killa bar
Dinner: kedgeree made with cauli rice followed by SF orange jelly and cream.

Today:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Atkins bar
Dinner: crispy cheese omelette with mushrooms and a couple of baby tomatoes followed by DGF brownie/cookie thing and cream.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a lc hot choclate before bed last night on advice of a migraine site. They had suggested milky drink and salt. This is easing me in my way. Spoils my intermittent fasting.
yet fbg was 5.6 whereas I've been all 6s and events couple of 7s lately.
libres are on order for more detailed testing. And no sign of migraine today!

Yoga
L: seedy crackers with cream cheese and some Blacksticks blue cheese on top. 2 cherry tomatoes and bit of cucumber . 1 bite of pear (hubby had the rest)

1st dinner at 5pm. 5 97% pork chipolatas
Dancing
2nd dinner at 7 :30 seedy crackers with Blacksticks blue

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
seedy crackers with Blacksticks blue
Looks like a nice blue cheese to try.

We used to get a imported Danish blue cheese at Woolies but it has been unavailable since 2020 BC* it beat some of the local blue cheeses for taste and texture.

*Before Covid not Before Jesus.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two slices middle bacon, two eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes for breakfast.
Tub of greek yoghurt, lemon cordial with osmolax for smoko.
Belly pork slices marinated in a mild Nandos Peri Peri marinade, green veggies. for lunch
Two low carb toasted cheese and onion sandwiches, pineapple jelly for supper at six.

Had a food item substituted with our online grocery order, they swapped out 1.5 kgs chicken legs for 2 kgs of chicken necks. The necks are no good to us as we have no space to boil them down for soups and stuff.

We got a refund, and get to keep the necks which will find a good home at a friends place for his dogs dinners.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When they arrive there is usually a best before date on the bottom of the box (at least a week away) and there is a note sometimes in with them which recommends keeping them in the fridge and using within the week (you have to keep them in the fridge or they will go off quickly). I find that usually after a couple of days they don't look as fresh so after the couple of days I put what is left in the freezer and just take them out as I want them (they take around an hour to defrost or 30 secs in microwave) but more recently there is some I have just put straight in to the freezer if I know I am not going to eat them within a day or two - but that is just me I am a bit of a freshness freak I think - they keep for a couple of months in the freezer.
You can eat the cookies straight from the freezer. They are even crisper. @DJC3 wishes I'd never told her that!

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having made a list of the ingredients in DGFs mincemeat pies, I spotted the requirement for candied orange and lemon peel. To be honest, this could be useful for any number of recipes. Anyway, I've added the candied orange peel recipe to my CMT but here's the link to it for non CMT users.

https://www.bylena.com/recipe/482/Candied-Orange-Peel-With-Sugar-or-Low-Carb/

The low carb version just substitutes your preferred sweetener (which for me is Monk Fruit Classic). Although the recipe is for orange, the same applies to any citrus fruit you want to candy.

Obviously, you won't want to eat the flesh of 6 oranges so, unless you have grandchildren to feed them to, my alternative is to freeze the individual segments for use in alcoholic beverages!

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
breakfast; eat natural low sugar granola, one slice of hi lo with butter
snack; starbucks mocha (sachet)
lunch: chicken and veg soup, half a carbzone wrap
tea; tiny bannisters half cheesy baked potato with added cheese by me, two slice of bacon and mushrooms, raspberries and home made lemon possett. Potato was 9g of carbs so still well within my allowance. Don't seem to be enjoying food at the moment and don't want to lose any weight, so needed something tasty!
snack; six montezuma 70% buttons

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They sold this at Lidl today.
I have no idea what it tastes like or how you use it (apart from on scones, that's in the picture) as this is not something usually available here.
I bought it anyway, knowing there's a whole forum of friendly people who know everything about clotted cream! :happy:

So tell me all about it please!

261285853_10224694679388718_2542228608866380345_n.jpg

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and DJC3