What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know there has been talk of scones in the past. @MrsA2 did lc lemon scones last year, and @shelley262 , @Pipp and @PenguinMum have recipes for sweet and savoury cheese scones.
Yikes! I think it could have been a recipe with almond flour, and walnuts. I haven’t done any baking for a while. Home devoid of visitors, since start of pandemic, and if I bake, I will eat. Low carb is fine, but easy to be greedy, too. I will try to remember which recipe I have mentioned. I could be gone some time.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yikes! I think it could have been a recipe with almond flour, and walnuts. I haven’t done any baking for a while. Home devoid of visitors, since start of pandemic, and if I bake, I will eat. Low carb is fine, but easy to be greedy, too. I will try to remember which recipe I have mentioned. I could be gone some time.
Ok, could have been this??? It is from Trudi Deakin Eat Fat book, I think.
250g ground almonds
2 teaspoons baking powder
100g walnut small pieces
50g butter
50g mascarpone
50g xilatol or erythritol
Pinch of salt

mix together dry ingredients
Stir in melted butter
Mix all together and divide into 10 portions
Flatten portions and place on baking sheet
Bake at 180 deg c approx 20 mins

I have used it as basic recipe and adapted by taking out sweetener, and adding strong grated cheese, and small amount of mustard. Can’t be specific about amount, as recipes are very hit and miss in our house. Never able to fully replicate any recipe. :hilarious:

Edit to add the recipe in the book states 3g carbs and 252 cals per scone.

Last edited:

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast; eat natural low sugar granola, two slices hi lo with butter
snack: mocha
lunch: chicken soup with a buttered SLC hot dog bun, perkier peanut bar.
dinner: raspberries an cream, six montezuma buttons

Strange eating day. Lots of snow and ice by us as we're quite rural but managed to drive to farm shop for supplies in case shop doesn't turn up tomorrow. Got some nice sausages, shin beef for a goulash and some pork schnitzel (which is breaded lightly but hey ho). Husband got a scone...hmph. 15 minutes later when we emerged it was snowing heavily, so a quick dash back home.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know there has been talk of scones in the past. @MrsA2 did lc lemon scones last year, and @shelley262 , @Pipp and @PenguinMum have recipes for sweet and savoury cheese scones.
how funny I was thinking about doing the cheese scones again at some time think did them last last christmas as they go so well with soup! Here's my cheese scones:

Cheese Scones -makes 10 small scones

Carb content is 13g per whole mix therefore 1.3g carb per scone. Carb comes mainly from the ground almonds.

Ingredients

• 150g Ground Almonds
  • 50g psyllium Husk
  • 2 teaspoons of Baking Powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon English Mustard Powder
  • 70g of Butter - melted
  • 100g of grated cheese + some extra for tops before baking
  • 2 teaspoon salt
  • Pepper to season
  • Extra Psyllium husk for rolling/cutting out
Method

1. Preheat oven to 160 fan and line tray with liner

2. Add all dry ingredients (except cheese) in good sized mixing bowl.

3. Melt the butter

4. Beat egg and butter together and then add a little at a time to the dry ingredients to right texture - not too sticky - and then mix in cheese. Keep some aside for decorating the scones

5. Sprinkle PH onto a board or surface and put ball of dough onto surface.

6. Cut 10 scones out, sprinkle grated cheese on top and put on prepared tray

7. Cook for 15 mins until firm and golden brown.

I am now wondering about having a go at them with fewer ground almonds which are the most carby element. I wonder if they would work with 50g of oat fibre and the almonds reduced to 100g which would lower the carbs - may well experiment later this week and if I do I will let you know about the result but I am sure that I would need to add some extra liquid if increase the fibre more maybe a small amount of lacto free milk mixed with the eggs. Cream would also work. If I experiment and have a success I will let you have the updated version.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Three meals again - think the cold weather making me more hungry!
Breakfast one each of slice of bacon and egg and half a hm lc roll
lunch other half of hm lc roll with pate and cheese with a handful of nuts followed by three squares of 90 % choc
mid pm a low carb brownie
Dinner beef brisket with a few small pieces of roast parsnip and green beans and big glass of red wine followed by low carb blondie with a few raspberries and extra thick double cream.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cold weather has me with vastly increased appetite, too. Trying to stick to my two meals a day regime, so I love Sunday. That is because Sunday is cooked breakfast day, of eggs, smoked bacon, pork sausage, mushrooms. I also allow myself a slice of low carb bread . Then for dinner it was rump steak, halloumi fries, tenderstem broccoli, and a glass (large) of Malbec.

Going to make vat of soup for the weekday mid afternoon meal. Which will take me back to three meals a day. No snacks and a small earlybevening dinner.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and DGF lemon cookie.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two slices middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms and tomatoes for breakfast.
Yoghurt, lemon cordial and osmolax mix in for smoko.
Corned brisket, two small low carb spudlites, green veggies, mustard sauce for lunch.
Cold meat and salad in a low carb wrap, a tub of low sugar pineapple jelly for supper at six.

I had a dull hungery feeling in my guts yesterday morning, it did not improve with eating either. All good today as it has now gone.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No rush. Been feeling worse and worse all day. Done nothing. Going back to bed now and hope I can stay there long enough to feel better. It's not my BG dropping too low. That's 11.8 just now.

Got up around 9 pm - after talking to my brother. Thought I should have some more drinks to get fluid levels up. I keep thinking that I will phone the doctor next day but then, I feel better in the morning, so I don't call. Then I feel bad again in the afternoon, by which time it is too late! It's getting ridiculous though.

Then, daft as it seems, I decided to have some of my home-made mincemeat ice cream. Cooled my stomach down a bit, but I put it away pretty rapidly, realising just how daft it was. So, today's total food was 2 dry fried eggs and about 4 half teaspoons of ice cream. Carbs? Who knows? Calories? Again, who knows? Fluids - about 21/4 litres.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A Pilates session then dancing practice took me straight to lunch
Had a jar of sour Polish pickles lurking at the back of the cupboard, the liquid contents of which have gone a funny murky white. Finally braved a taste test, was OK but couldn't bring myself to trust them. They were in date until end of December, but still no. I had found a jar of Haimisha pickles in Waitrose that didn't have any sugar listed in ingredients so tried them . Nice and not very different to the Polish ones. Only 2 g carbs per 100g, and seem readily available in most supermarkets, which the Polish ones weren't.
So lunch was 2 pickles as taste tests, then a third one wrapped in ham and sliced Maasdam cheese. A 4th was helped down with soem Blacksticks blue.
Expect pickles to feature for next few days as use with 5 days and it's a big jar.
Then experimented with making own seed crackers. Trying to equal M&S ones. Getting there.
Did taste test a few.
D: roast chicken with broccoli, carrots and swede, my sin today was instant gravy

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Got up around 9 pm - after talking to my brother. Thought I should have some more drinks to get fluid levels up. I keep thinking that I will phone the doctor next day but then, I feel better in the morning, so I don't call. Then I feel bad again in the afternoon, by which time it is too late! It's getting ridiculous though.

Then, daft as it seems, I decided to have some of my home-made mincemeat ice cream. Cooled my stomach down a bit, but I put it away pretty rapidly, realising just how daft it was. So, today's total food was 2 dry fried eggs and about 4 half teaspoons of ice cream. Carbs? Who knows? Calories? Again, who knows? Fluids - about 21/4 litres.

That was a bit of a disaster. Spent the rest of the evening and much of the night vomiting - on nothing to speak of. That kind where the acid burns, not only your throat but nose, ears and eyes as well. Not nice. Feeling very sorry for myself and alternated between the bed and the chair until about 9 am when I realised Neil was preparing to go shopping so made myself get up. Still feeling very weak and so far have had 2 glasses of coconut milk, one cup of tea and a handful of crisps to stop my stomach rebelling again.

BG is within range. Pulse is around 95 and oxygen around 92. This is not something I feel I can ask the doctor about, so I'll wait and see how we go.

I did manage to make the fish part of whatever fish dish I make eventually - poached some salmon chunks and some smoked haddock chunks with some onion in milk. There's enough there for 3 meals at least. But I will have to put it into boxes and freeze it. No way I could eat it just now. Just got No 2 son to take away a bowl of chicken I was preparing for the freezer (poached and ready to put into other dishes) but, one way and another, didn't do anything with it and I think it's been left too long, so he will give it to his dogs. This is why I think ready meals are the way to go, but so far, what I have tried has tasted more of the cardboard or plastic packaging than proper food.

I might make a smoothie with a banana and coconut milk later but I'm not sure that my stomach is very happy with the coconut element.

I really shouldn't be banging on like this about my stomach. You guys must be fed up with it - I am.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast; eat natural low sugar granola, two slices hi lo with butter
snack: mocha
lunch: slice of ham, pickled onions, one oatcake with guacamole, olives. 1/2 carb killa bar.
dinner: sausage, egg and tomatoes, raspberries and cream, six montezuma buttons