What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the cauli might become very wet on defrosting, but others may know better.
That's what I'm afraid of, but according to @MommaE it works, so I'm hopeful!
Thick soups, stews, bolognese with veggies are all very good ideas! :)
You could also prep some tandoori marinade and freeze chicken in some of it. From there a portion is only c40 minutes in the oven (although I tend to use the airfryer) - totally delicious.
Tandoori is very English (unless you live in India of course), I wouldn't even know what tandoori tastes like! Is a tandoori marinade a vegetable dish on its own?
Recipe welcome of course, preferably foolproof, as it probably needs ingredients I've never used.
I'm also still puzzled by what exactly is considered a 'curry'. I know Thai green curry, but I also know curry can be a lot of things, I'm just not exactly sure what makes a curry a curry. :hilarious:

My marinades, and lots of my other food, lean heavily on the Indonesian kitchen, just like the English cuisine uses many Indian flavours.
Considering the shared seafaring history of our countries, it could have easily been the other way around. I'm not proud of my country's history but very thankful for the flavours it brought us.
Sometimes the organisation required for adulting is just plain old tedious.
YES!

Had a quick meal today, making up for the missed veggies of the last few days. It was inspired by @Goonergal 's freezer meal suggestion, although I only made a single portion.
Fried onion, bell pepper, leek, mushrooms and garlic, added some tomato paste, paprika and a splash of white wine gone just off to drink but still fine to cook.
Put on a plate, added grated cheese and Turkish sausage slices and microwaved when I felt like eating.
Very happy I've finally had some 'real' food again!

262910901_10224735300764227_4360146476848197881_n.jpg

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's what I'm afraid of, but according to @MommaE it works, so I'm hopeful!
Thick soups, stews, bolognese with veggies are all very good ideas! :)

Tandoori is very English (unless you live in India of course), I wouldn't even know what tandoori tastes like! Is a tandoori marinade a vegetable dish on its own?
Recipe welcome of course, preferably foolproof, as it probably needs ingredients I've never used.
I'm also still puzzled by what exactly is considered a 'curry'. I know Thai green curry, but I also know curry can be a lot of things, I'm just not exactly sure what makes a curry a curry. :hilarious:

My marinades, and lots of my other food, lean heavily on the Indonesian kitchen, just like the English cuisine uses many Indian flavours.
Considering the shared seafaring history of our countries, it could have easily been the other way around. I'm not proud of my country's history but very thankful for the flavours it brought us.

YES!

Had a quick meal today, making up for the missed veggies of the last few days. It was inspired by @Goonergal 's freezer meal suggestion, although I only made a single portion.
Fried onion, bell pepper, leek, mushrooms and garlic, added some tomato paste, paprika and a splash of white wine gone just off to drink but still fine to cook.
Put on a plate, added grated cheese and Turkish sausage slices and microwaved when I felt like eating.
Very happy I've finally had some 'real' food again!

262910901_10224735300764227_4360146476848197881_n.jpg

This is the tandoori marinade I use for all sorts. As you can see, it's super simple and even more delicious!

https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/2609649-tandoori-lamb-chops

For cooking frozen blocks, you need an electric pressure cooker. I put about 100ml water in the bottom of the inner pot, add the usually brown block, close the lid, and set to 0 minutes of pressure which defrosts and heats the block to be hot. I then ignore it until I'm ready to eat, which could be hours, then stir and dish up.

The Instant Pott (or other electric pressure cooker) is a lazy cook's friend!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Braved the big shopping centre early.
Forgot to drink anything.
L: 120g packet of ham
Supermarket weekly shop.
Finally got a cup of tea about 4pm
D: Chicken fillets with sliced peppers in a sort of oriental sauce, half from a packet. Boys had noodles with theirs.
Realising I was almost OMAD tried to up intake by 1 piece of lc chocolate cake with cream but feeling very full.

Going to start a libre this weekend just to test various foods at this dangerous time of year.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I want to make is a complete meal I can freeze, and which doesn't need anything done with except microwaving and dumping on a plate
Any of the stews and casseroles tend to work well. Just cook extra next time you do cook and freeze the extra portions.
Do you have a slow cooker (might be called a Dutch oven)? I find anything cooked in there freezes and reheats well, often better the second time. Lamb, beef, chicken or sausage with an onion, carrot, leek, tomato and stock.
Just remem to label the freezer containers, they all look similar when frozen!

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Small rib fillet steak, two eggs, mushrooms for breakfast.
Lemon cordial osmolax mix for smoko.
Fish, some prawns and a small portion of chips at Grunske’s by the River breaking loose on the carbs for a change for lunch.
Low sugar pineapple jelly for supper at six.

The Woolies delivery driver came the same time as two Blue Care nurses (1 new nurse learning the BC ropes) to dress my leg, so it got a bit crowded for awhile. The Woolies driver was a big lump of a lad,he would have to be pushing 130 kgs or more.

So my plan A did not get changed to much, managed to eat out by the river for a change.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 My Indian neighbour use all sorts of spices and stuff in here curries, she makes one curry I have to shut the place up when it first starts cooking, a mix of chillies, garlic, turmeric and some other stuff which I do not recognised. The fume blisters the eyes. :p

Most frozen veggies you can buy are blanched before they are frozen, so they do not take very long to cook in the microwave.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is the tandoori marinade I use for all sorts. As you can see, it's super simple and even more delicious!
Oh, yes, I can do that, and it sounds delicious!
It still needs additional veggies for me though, but that's no reason at all not to cook this. :happy:
For cooking frozen blocks, you need an electric pressure cooker. I put about 100ml water in the bottom of the inner pot, add the usually brown block, close the lid, and set to 0 minutes of pressure which defrosts and heats the block to be hot. I then ignore it until I'm ready to eat, which could be hours, then stir and dish up.

The Instant Pott (or other electric pressure cooker) is a lazy cook's friend!
Ah, I've missed your love of kitchen gadgets!
I'm still not converted though. Sounds very useful, but there are other ways to get food defrosted and hot without buying something expensive. :hilarious:
And where would it end? I also don't have a food processor, an airfryer or a slow cooker. Which one would I have to buy first? And more importantly who would clean them after I finished dirtying them?
Do you have a slow cooker (might be called a Dutch oven)? I find anything cooked in there freezes and reheats well, often better the second time. Lamb, beef, chicken or sausage with an onion, carrot, leek, tomato and stock.
Just remem to label the freezer containers, they all look similar when frozen!
I have two slow cookers, one for small pots and one for large pots! And you're right, whatever I'd cook on them will work fine as a frozen ready meal!
The labeling is something to work on though... I usually have to resort to scraping a bit off and tasting the ice in hopes to identify. I always think I'll remember and i never do. :bag:

262959847_10224735528209913_5579519859664634511_n.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 My Indian neighbour use all sorts of spices and stuff in here curries, she makes one curry I have to shut the place up when it first starts cooking, a mix of chillies, garlic, turmeric and some other stuff which I do not recognised. The fume blisters the eyes. :p
If I'm ever around I'll invite myself to your neighbour for dinner, sounds just like my kind of food!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The labeling is something to work on though
Sharpie pens work well on most freezer containers and wrappings.
That bit ofinfo revolutionised our freezer. Even the shelves are labelled now :angelic:

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I'm ever around I'll invite myself to your neighbour for dinner, sounds just like my kind of food!
Wait till next years ending of Ramadan, she cooks up plenty of food and curries then for her Muslim family and friends.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wait till next years ending of Ramadan, she cooks up plenty of food and curries then for her Muslim family and friends.
Circumstances allowing, I'll book a ticket for the end of april, sounds like a great party!
I'll do breakfast at your place, your breakfasts always sound delicious. :)

Reactions: DJC3

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, yes, I can do that, and it sounds delicious!
It still needs additional veggies for me though, but that's no reason at all not to cook this. :happy:

Ah, I've missed your love of kitchen gadgets!
I'm still not converted though. Sounds very useful, but there are other ways to get food defrosted and hot without buying something expensive. :hilarious:
And where would it end? I also don't have a food processor, an airfryer or a slow cooker. Which one would I have to buy first? And more importantly who would clean them after I finished dirtying them?

I have two slow cookers, one for small pots and one for large pots! And you're right, whatever I'd cook on them will work fine as a frozen ready meal!
The labeling is something to work on though... I usually have to resort to scraping a bit off and tasting the ice in hopes to identify. I always think I'll remember and i never do. :bag:

262959847_10224735528209913_5579519859664634511_n.jpg
Labelling? Pah. Over rated. What would we do without the joy of brown brick surprise dinners?

You could have a stove top pressure cooker. In fact, if you were here, I'd GIVE you a brand new, never been used Prestige pressure cooker, bought in an amazing closing down sale, as a back up for our boat that was never needed.

As for the tandoori, you can easily add veggies, and steamed and cold cauliflower florets, coated in the marinade and grilled are stupendous. Once you have tried the marinade once, you'll have it with chicken, lamb pork and fish. It's so versatile and knocked up from the fridge and store cupboard in moments.

I usually make a big batch and split it between some chicken and just portioned, then frozen for whenever required.

(I'll spare you my most recent purchase, which isn't working out quite as well as I thought it would, but hey ho.)

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My labelling is haphazard too, we ended up with spag bolognese with cauliflower rice once, I though the brown blocks in the freezer were chilli!
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a ginger bread Carb Killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Atkins bar
Dinner: beef and herb meat balls with tomato and mascarpone sauce with broccoli, Brussels and a few green beans followed by SF cherry jelly and cream.
Still working away at the red meat and green veggies, iron level has only gone up by five points, still very low in the normal range. Appt to talk to GP next week :(

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch- pate on lc toast
Mid aft- packet of Cheesies and 10g Montezuma’s 100% both advent calendar treats
Dinner - Beef curry, cauli rice. Choc chia pud
I’ve also eaten a DGF blondie but can’t remember when exactly.

@Antje77 I think it’s already been suggested but I reckon mince is the best thing for batch cooking and freezing in portions - easy to add a ton of veg for a ragu, chilli and curry or top with celeriac/ cauli mash for cottage pie or squish into patties for burgers. Otherwise cook a chicken and search DietDoctor for ‘rotisserie chicken’ there are quite a few simple recipes involving cooked chicken, cream cheese/ cream or Mayo with a variety of veg, pretty much all of them can be frozen in individual portions. I do this a lot.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I mentioned the other week about my chicken legs online order being swapped for necks, and me giving them to my mates dog.

Here's a pix of Jaz crunching on a chicken neck in the back yard.

U423JhK.jpg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch two boiled eggs and one hm lc roll followed by yoghurt and one square of 90% chocolate
Dinner chicken curry with a poppadom and Corriander salsa and two glasses of soda water with gin followed by DGF raspberry bakewell warmed and then served with double cream.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's a pix of Jaz crunching on a chicken neck in the back yard.
Enjoy your meal, Jaz, looks like you're a very lucky dog to have a friend like Riva!

Finished the last Sinterklaas poems, finished the surprise, very happy with the end result!
And then I even cooked as well. :)

Had a very happy meal of tuna melt muffins with lots of vegetables in it. Adding veggies to the batter works remarkably well. This time it was onion, leek, bell pepper and cooked broccoli :hungry:

262978868_10224739630752474_14577852997410976_n.jpg