What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know lots of us buy DGF cakes. I am a fairly new convert certainly in the last year. They are expensive so I don’t buy them often but they sent me a voucher recently and I ordered 3 boxes. They arrived the day before we went away, longer than expected, and they had suffered badly in the heat and were quite molten. I put them in the fridge for a couple of hours and then because we were going away needed to portion them and put in a box in the freezer. They are frozen all mishapen and I feel a bit cheated. What do you all think about them?
I think they’re decent, with (mostly) fairly clean ingredients, but a bit sweet for my taste. Dan’s a decent guy. I’m sure if you dropped them a line they’d see you right.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think they’re decent, with (mostly) fairly clean ingredients, but a bit sweet for my taste. Dan’s a decent guy. I’m sure if you dropped them a line they’d see you right.
Thanks for that but because it was using a voucher I really don’t feel like I can as they are a small company. I just won’t order in the summer months again.

PiersAaron

I am doing Keto and 16/8 IF. Last ate yesterday at 8PM. This morning i had a couple cups of iced black coffee. I had the first meal today at 1pm. First meal was salad of cukes, green onion, radish, iceberg lettuce, parmesean cheese, a little cheddar cheese, home-made bacon bits, chicken breast, avocado chunks, black kalmata olives, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and doilop of sour cream. Next, and final meal, should be at 8pm. Final meal will likely be strawberries with heavy cream.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
33B8184B-C395-4850-AA36-6D0913B9B3AB.jpeg
161B773F-D658-41EA-A482-00DBB1E70A50.jpeg

Photos above main meal curry and my lunch in preparation
10ish one each of slice bacon,egg and lc toast
1ish lunch mixed together some beetroot kimchi, quarter of avocado sliced and a tin of sardines in extra virgin olive oil it looked messy when mixed but tasted good followed by some stewed rhubarb and a dash of kefir mixed with hm yoghurts and then two squares of 100% chocolate
5ish chicken curry served with veg rice - a variation of @MrsA2 s fridge gravel including cauliflower stalks, asparagus stalks and turmeric root all finely sliced then softened first by cooking with some water and then fried in coconut oil served with mint raita,using own garden mint and hm yoghurt,and Corriander leaves plus to drink a gin and soda water followed by lc lemon drizzle cake - a DGF product @PenguinMum. I love them they are pricey but very good quality ingredients and taste good plus no impact on my bgs,such a shame about damage caused by heat during transit and delivery but sure that Dan would like to hear about your issue I know that he stopped sending any more out that week on the Friday so presume you were not the only one. I’d imagine though that it shouldn’t affect taste but such a shame, as they are such a treat.
@DJC3 my experiment with two teaspoons of inulin in my yoghurt starter did help it to thicken more. I’ve spotted some inulin syrup at Ocado that I’m going to try as the powder can clump the syrup seems to be a liquid version of inulin using only chicory root like the powdered version but,I’d imagine easier to use.
I’ve been progressing my lc sourdough experiment today using a mix of oat fibre with the rye it will prove slowly overnight and get baked mid morning tomorrow we will see both how it turns out and how it works with my bgs!
Edit @PiersAaron welcome to this thread looks like a great menu for today looking forward to seeing other days.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Shopping is planned for tomorrow morning, will need to buy groceries for a nice vegetarian meal. My friend is coming over to help paint my bedstee (bed built into the wall, very old fashioned) on saturday, so it will have to be something either very quick and easy after a long day of hot work, or preferably something I can prepare tomorrow to heat up on saturday.
I still have some cheese and onion sauce left which I could use, but that's not a must.
Suggestions are welcome!
It may look a bit messy but I can assure you it tasted wonderful!
I prepared it yesterday so I only had to put it in the oven today after painting.
It's a casserole with from bottom to top: Vegetarian minced meat fried with onions, bell pepper, garlic and a little tomato paste, cooked cauliflower on top of that and topped with a bright orange (thanks to the rest of the tomato paste) cheese sauce with sautéed onions.
Fresh parsley should have been on top of that but I forgot and didn't think it worth taking the plates back to the kitchen to add it. :)

I'd also like your opinion on what colour to use for the second half of the paint job tomorrow, but that's so far off topic I took it to the parallel thread to avoid getting in trouble for derailing. :D
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...en-parallel-chat.177870/page-119#post-2522978

289528966_10225757819446555_1238637255388231731_n.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Dinner: same as yesterday 1/2 LC Marguerita pizza with coleslaw followed by DGF brownie and cream.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 3 very small eggs scrambled
Got busy over lunchtime and missed it so fell off the wagon in the supermarket while doing big shop. Should never shop hungry. 3 p.m. Milk chocolate with hazelnuts :bag:. Tried mitigating it when home with a piece of blue cheese. Suffered with tiredness and headache. Serves me right.
D: curry out. Chose a starter of dry lamb as my main but did have half one of hubbys prawns in batter and 2 mouthfuls sons squid and a mouthful of his fish curry. Drank sparkling water.
Could have been a lot worse

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms, couple of slices of toast and vegimite for breakfast,
Spicy seafood marinara mix , a small portion of reheated pasta spirals for lunch, with a rough red to go with it.
Sausages and hot english mustard sandwiches for supper at six.

Two glasses of merlot from lunch to finish the bottle before I went to bed.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a fun day yesterday at daughter’s hen do. Not quite the garden party it was intended as we had a lot of rain and had to keep dashing indoors and the gazebo nearly blew away.
Breakfast at home was cheese and cold meat.
Wasn’t sure what food I’d be able to eat later, but I was well catered for with platters of cheese and charcuterie, olives, veg&dips. Lots of carby food too but not remotely tempting to me, apart from the egg mayo sandwiches cut into neat triangles.
Had to pop home for an extension lead so picked up a SLC roll to bring back for supper, filled it with chicken and coleslaw while they all had pizza and popcorn watching Encanto at the ‘silent cinema’ set up in a tent in the garden. Silent because we all had headphones to listen so no noise to disturb neighbours. Apart from our singing.
Copious coffee and tea with a dash of s/s milk. They are teetotal so no booze, and no one has a hangover this morning. Hopefully a picnic on the beach today.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I remember you mentioning this a while ago. Its very interesting. It’s odd that if we are all converting galactose to glucose, that we don’t all show the spike though.
Guess it comes down to differences in how we metabolise foods. In my case I suspect a slight intolerance doesn't help.

Leading on nicely (to stay on topic) to the fact that I've already consumed too much dairy in the form of yoghurt (Fage 5%) and cream this morning. The latter was with the remaining bit of chocolate brownie - needed to add salt to that this morning!

I also tried a purition shake mix. Was given it for free at the PHC conference. Mixed it half and and half with some almond 'milk' I had in the fridge and double cream. Ugh! Tasted far too much like dessicated coconut. One mouthful and the rest went down the sink! The rep had assured me it didn't taste like coconut.......

Later on I'm planning kippers and then cheese/leftovers from yesterday.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast will be bacon and eggs - to be had earlier than I would have intended because I am having to go out and shan't be back until late afternoon. I have already been "bad" by having a banana smoothie; just a very ripe banana with some full cream milk and some lemon juice. Just because I saw the banana going browner than Em would eat it.

2nd meal will be the fish that I should have had yesterday with some salady stuff.

BG 8.5 at present. I'll see what it's like in a while, after the milk shake has taken effect..

Mezza n

I make it with 1 tablespoon chia seeds, 1 teaspoon cocoa powder and 100g coconut cream ( or coconut milk which is usually slightly higher carb) plus a drop of vanilla extract if I have any. Mix together and leave in the fridge for an hour or 2.
I used to make it with zero carb almond milk but I needed to add a sweetener then.
There are lots of recipes around, here’s the diet doctor one: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-chia-pudding
I think @Rachox sometimes uses a flavoured Actimel for a change.

I made the chai pudding today and it was a nice change thank you

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Day 2 of the hen do and I’m bored of cheese and cured meats! Had this for breakfast as everyone else had croissants.
Picnic Lunch on the beach another SLC roll, filled with the last of the salami ( thank heavens) cream cheese and chopped yellow pepper.
During the afternoon I had a couple of handfuls of nuts and a h/m yoghurt plus a lot of tea with skimmed milk which is all they had.
It’s been a lot of fun but I’m looking forward to being able to cook a proper meal tomorrow.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not quite enough leftover casserole turned tomato soup with lots of things for two days. :happy:

Had a rather small portion of the cauliflower/vegetarian minced meat/cheese sauce casserole left, but with a tin of tomatoes, stock cube, water and some very ripe creamy blue cheese added it's suddenly a two day meal again.
The blue cheese should have been cream cheese or cream, but I didn't have any (not counting the tub of horror I found in the back of my fridge), and the blue cheese did the job just nicely. :hungry:

289006032_10225763514828936_1529768006276096000_n.jpg

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
DC92A017-9FF3-4A36-96A0-3C2B5AF6DD99.jpeg
Did my sourdough bread experiment today baked the bread this morning using sourdough starter all developed over last week so plenty of time for the live culture to eat some of the sugary starches in the rye flour plus replaced 30% of rye flour with 0 carb oat fibre to bring it down.took blood sugar before my one buttered slice it was 4.5 as normal but went up rapidly and was still 9.3 2 hours later - don’t remember anything at this level for years so an epic fail for that foodie experiment shows flour is out for me.i can eat low carb bread without a rise as well as root vegetables fermented but clearly I’m sensitive to real bread flour! Still it was a faff making and tasted a bit too nice so probably better that it’s ruled out I’ll stick to fermented vegetables, kefir and yoghurt which all do work for me.
Today’s food
10ish bacon,egg and one slice of lc bread and small glass of hm kefir
Lunch one slice buttered sour dough bread - my experimental slice
Mid pm to allow me to see impact of bread slice first had some hm yoghurts and rhubarb
5ish roast chicken dinner with cauliflower mash and asparagus and glass of dry white wine followed by lc blondie. Post dinner bgs happily down to 5.2. Guess it’s low carb for me still suiting me 5 years on.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Skipped breakfast, which was a bit of a mistake as we popped in to a local food festival early. Could be dangerous. Luckily there wasn't much there to tempt me. Just bought 2 very expensive cheeses.
L: the filling of a chorizo quiche, not very nice, blue cheese, cucumber, coleslaw. An apricot.
Gardening. Raspberries doing really well really early this year and actually picked enough to go in the freezer rather than my mouth.
Avoided biscuits at an event this afternoon :angelic:
D: roast chicken, cabbage, carrots, green beans. An apricot with ff greek and a sq 85%.

Starting a libre tomorrow as going to use sons absence to do OMAD for 4 days. I need to lose a couple of pounds and hoping this does it. Looking forward to your support

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday 22 June - bed 8 FBG 8.5 - Still higher than normal. After youngest's sports yesterday it's the eldest today but, he doesn't like sports day. That means he srays with me and does some work. He did it quite willingly and it made pick up easier!

B. TAG and a bit crustless quiche
L. A couple of M&S crackers and egg mayo.

D. Bunless burger with Emmental cheese slice, lettuce, tomatoes, nicked 3 of Hubby's chips. Strawberries and clotted cream.

Thursday 23 June - bed and FBG both 7.3.

B. TAG and a bit of crustless quiche.

L Nothing

D. Cooked chicken breast with a salad of lettuce, avocado, tomato, port salut, beetroot, coleslaw and walnuts. Oh, and a boiled egg.

20220623_182700.jpg