What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Could they give you one of those walker things with tiny wheels maybe? My mum used to find that so much better than two sticks. In the end I had a small bit of toast and two mugs of tea as didnt have the stomach for even scrambled eggs.

I had a zimmer frame with wheels on the front 2 legs on loan from the physio department, but it was not helpful with only one hand able to control it for much of the time. Also had me leaning too far forward (I am wider than it so had to stand too far back). I do have a rollator but it has a similar issue, causing me to lean forward and hump my shoulders over it. Good if I need to sit down half way to somewhere though since it has a narrow perch to use as a seat. Too unwieldy to use in the house, though.

Tomorrow is another day and I hope you feel well enough to have something solid inside you. Maybe an early night would help? That's what I am about to do, took painkillers some time ago but forgot to note down when so don't dare take any more and am feeling shattered, so might be able to sleep.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday 25 June - bed 7 FBG 7 5

A rather hot, humid day.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.

L. Nothing

D. Cold cuts. - ox tongue, ham, smoked chicken, mini German sausage, coleslaw, lettuce, tomato, beetroot and port salut.

Gin and zero lemonade with a hibiscus flower.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a bad idea at all to have a thread on fermenting where it's easy to find information on it, would be very useful for others wanting to do some experimenting. :)
Will take a look at this idea and if can will do one on food recipe section- will alert you too @MrsA2 if succeed in finding some time to put together. Time especially tight over next few days but if time at weekend will do my best. Meanwhile @MrsA2 I will message you the yoghurt instructions tomorrow as have them on my PC in a word document.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will take a look at this idea and if can will do one on food recipe section- will alert you too @MrsA2 if succeed in finding some time to put together. Time especially tight over next few days but if time at weekend will do my best. Meanwhile @MrsA2 I will message you the yoghurt instructions tomorrow as have them on my PC in a word document.

Great idea, it’ll be good to have all the info in one place.
For some reason I’m not receiving notifications at the moment, but I’m sure you said you’d tried adding inulin to the starter recently. I also did that at the end of last week, and like you, found it gave a lovely thick yoghurt, just using uht whole milk and no cream. Good to have an extra pro( or is it pre?) -biotic in the mix.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast - some time this morning but, being rather groggy, I can't remember when. It was scrambled eggs on a slice of wholemeal toast. BG started at some time earlier at 6.5 but had risen to 11.4 before breakfast. Odd that I can remember those figures but not when it was.

2nd meal - some time late afternoon - will be some more salad with ham and avocado.

My 2nd meal yesterday turned out to be a salad with ham, hb egg and crispy bacon so a kind of smash together of the 2 possibilities.

Edited to fix typo.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
10ish a few spoons of hm yoghurts with some seeds left to thicken and soften overnight
1ish piece of yesterday’s left over frittata with spoon of cultured vegetables and a couple of Brazil nuts followed by a few berries and yoghurt and 100% chocolate
5ish venison meatballs in hm passata followed by lc gingerbread

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 that pizza does look the real deal. I made one yesterday evening using LoDough and added a little tomato pesto then blobs of goats cheese, black olives and slivers of two cherry toms. Works for me when I want an easy light supper as I did yesterday. Feeling a bit sorry for myself with a chesty infection atm and don’t fancy eating so today might be scrambled eggs if I can work up any enthusiasm.
Hope you are rid of the chesty infection. The SLC base is the best I've tasted so far. Crispy outer but the inner base is Crisp but soft and pizza like. They were pretty expensive with the fillings on but the release of base only makes them much more affordable.

I've used lo dough many times but the outer gets a bit 2 Crispy and tastless I find.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B-h/m yoghurt&seeds
L-SLC roll filled with sliced beef, Brie and mustard, with sauerkraut and olives on the side. Smallish bit of 90% choc used to scoop up hazelnut butter ( clearance sale in Holland and Barrett. I knew I shouldn’t have bought it, can’t resist nut butter)
D- https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/white-fish-with-herbs-coconut-milk-lime-and-tomatoes which I thought was lovely but a bit too ‘green’ for Paul. Couple of glasses white wine.
Edit for typos.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Dinner: chicken chasseur and Brussels followed by strawberries and cream.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
'Breakfast' was definitely not low carb, but one of the perks of being a T1 is needing carbs in a medicinal way every once in a while.
And on some days everything just fits perfectly, like it did today!

I went swimming this morning, which always makes for somewhat unpredictable BG. After swimming I went for groceries, Libre telling me I was very slowly dropping. Slowly enough I felt safe driving home, seeing as I have my alarm set at 4.2 so as long as I drop slowly and not quickly it'll catch a hypo in time, even with the lag from the sensor. (Rules are different here, insulin users are not obliged to eat when we're below 5 although I usually do. In this case I didn't because I often have a rise an hour or so after swimming.)

I always park my car in front of my house against the cherry tree, so I did the same this morning. As soon as I parked, my hypo alarm went off so I opened my window to eat cherries from the tree, which neatly brought me back up to 5.2! :happy::happy::happy:

A mild hypo under a cherry tree is just the best, I want one every day!

(picture taken from my car)
290920884_10225776347749751_1290316283657473023_n.jpg

Had a quick and easy evening meal of a burger with fried onions and a couple thin rashers of bacon, with iceberg lettuce with cucumber, raw onion and tomato.
The rest of the iceberg will go to the guinea pigs, I'm now sure I prefer endive for lettuce.

290292837_10225777609621297_967291228166030797_n.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
'Breakfast' was definitely not low carb, but one of the perks of being a T1 is needing carbs in a medicinal way every once in a while.
And on some days everything just fits perfectly, like it did today!

I went swimming this morning, which always makes for somewhat unpredictable BG. After swimming I went for groceries, Libre telling me I was very slowly dropping. Slowly enough I felt safe driving home, seeing as I have my alarm set at 4.2 so as long as I drop slowly and not quickly it'll catch a hypo in time, even with the lag from the sensor. (Rules are different here, insulin users are not obliged to eat when we're below 5 although I usually do. In this case I didn't because I often have a rise an hour or so after swimming.)

I always park my car in front of my house against the cherry tree, so I did the same this morning. As soon as I parked, my hypo alarm went off so I opened my window to eat cherries from the tree, which neatly brought me back up to 5.2! :happy::happy::happy:

A mild hypo under a cherry tree is just the best, I want one every day!

(picture taken from my car)
290920884_10225776347749751_1290316283657473023_n.jpg

Had a quick and easy evening meal of a burger with fried onions and a couple thin rashers of bacon, with iceberg lettuce with cucumber, raw onion and tomato.
The rest of the iceberg will go to the guinea pigs, I'm now sure I prefer endive for lettuce.

290292837_10225777609621297_967291228166030797_n.jpg

That has to be the best way I’ve ever heard of treating a hypo. It should be available on prescription!

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1000hrs B an after nights fryup
1400hrs L half a bowl of hm veg soup some cheese and salmon
1830hrs D prawns and chorizo stirfry with spiralized courgette.
14hrs fast now for HBA1c and cholesterol bloods in the morning

Good luck with the blood tests. Your food always seems right on point so I’m sure the results will be great.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke really early with a banging headache.
Did manage to carry in fasting until after morning Dance class but then gave in to cheese on crackers with half an avocado. So much for OMAD.
Also when putting ice blocks in the freezer spotted a box of what I thought were hm lc brownies, but on eating one found they were sugar laden gluten free ones hubby had bought sometime ago.
Yep spiked :bigtears:
Slept for half an hour before second dance class, then tried on a few dresses in a shop. Mostly "one size" they were all far too big, nice nsv (non scale victory)
D: chilli mince, aubergine with cheese, and half a courgette.
1/4 of a brownie gave a very acceptable rise, confirming I can have tiny tastes with a bigger meal
Slept another half hour in the chair - not usual so wondering if I'm brewing something nasty

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three slices middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms, two slices of toast and vegimite.
Had smoko in the oncology unit getting my iron drip first then two baggies of blood which took to mid afternoon to finish, which was a a packet of ham and cheese sandwiches (only eat one).
Lunch at oncology, was a medium pot of pea and ham soup what I took in with me tha they heated up for me, and the other sandwich from smoko.
Couple of cups of coffee till I was allowed to go home.
Rump steak and veggies, gravy for supper at six,

Glass of single malt before going to bed.

Got an appointment for a CT scan at I-med Radiology on Thursday, as the base is booked out for more than a week.

PiersAaron

Iced, black coffee for breakfast and lunch. 330PM, came home and ate the following: cukes, cherry tomatoes, parmesan, blue cheese, bacon bits, napa cabbage, black olives, fresh mint, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and sour cream. Then had a two egg omelet with cheese. Went for a swim. When I came home after my swim, I had 200g of strawberries (fresh) with stevia, dash of salt and 4 tbsp of heavy cream. Yum!!! Hopefully no more eating today.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Early on I had a banana - another one that was going over the top and needed to be used.

Breakfast itself was sardines on wholemeal toast about 12.15.

Next meal will be cauliflower cheese made with a cream and cheddar cheese sauce. The cauliflower is quite big so will keep half of it back and make some cauliflower rice for tomorrow or maybe broccoli and cauli rice. Have to be careful not to overdo the veggies though between today and tomorrow.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From the maestro:

- Trim c80% of the fat (with rind attached) off. Leave some fat on the meat to help retain moisture.
- Put chops into the AF, directly on a shelf. Put the pre-crackling on another shelf, directly above the chops (so that it bastes the chops along the way).
- Cook at 105 for c90 minutes.
- Remove the chops, tent then in foil, leaving to finish cooking and rest.
- Leave rhe pre-crackling in the oven, but turn the heat up to 180c. c15 minutes later the crackling is ready.
- It's all ready to be served when you are ready to eat it.

All timings are approximate. The man cooks by ear (yes, I know that doesn't make sense).

Reporting back. Success! Didn’t follow instructions precisely. My airfryer tends to be quick so I started out at 100 rather than 105 and ended up cooking for 2 hours. Probably about 10 mins or so too long in the end. Did the crackling on 190 for 15 mins. Perfect!

Earlier in the day I’d eaten Fage 5%, raspberries, double cream and almond butter in various quantities.

E7251226-806E-4ADA-AE9C-2888F162BC22.jpeg
1EC0BD40-BAD0-41F3-A50C-E47718556130.jpeg