What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
11:30 after PT session h/m yoghurt and seeds.
12:30 Brie, sauerkraut and a few prawns.
3:15 salami, cheddar cheese, few nuts.
17:00 ham and eggs. Was supposed duck breasts and stir fry. veg but I’m unexpectedly having to go out . Duck is in sous vide @maglil55 so will crisp up in airfryer tomorrow.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit of a leftovers meal for me tonight. 20% mince from Tuesday’s Waitrose delivery combined with onion that had been in the cupboard for ages and courgette that had been in the fridge for almost as long.

A28686FA-CA2F-47F6-8935-C62730CA555C.jpeg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
DB896AC4-658A-4EF6-841A-1BA69E6C995D.jpeg

A few fermenting projects today - photo is of today’s cultured vegetables, OH isn’t keen on cabbage so am trying a mix of the veg he loves and also going for naturally sweeter produce to hopefully convert him to kimchi. This one has three apples mixed with lemon zest and chopped ginger then mixed with raw grated organic beetroot and thinly sliced celery all in a brine. Will taste in 3 days and if ready will be moved to fridge where it can live for up to 9 months. Although the fruit and veg used are higher in sugar than others I use this high sugar content should reduce to almost zero as the live bacteria grow and eat the sugar as part of fermentation. In addition apple peel in particular is wonderful food for the gut bacteria Akkermansia - which promotes a thicker moucous lining that protects the whole gut and also helps other good bacteria to flourish.
@DJC3 ive also been experimenting with producing yoghurt just from room temperature organic uht milk - just mixing in a few teaspoons of inulin to the starter yoghurt to add some thickness and it’s not as thick as the one using cream and scalding milk and cream first but it’s not too thin - work in progress will let you know. My kefir grains are still being activated hopefully will be useable tomorrow.
10ish my overnight hm yoghurts with seeds served with a few berries
1ish spoon each of kimchi and sauerkraut with cheese and lc seeded crackers followed by more hm yoghurts, some chopped apple peel and berries and 100% chocolate
5ish lamb chops served with sauerkraut and tomato and basil salad with glass of red wine followed by more hm yoghurts and a few berries- my first garden raspberries this year.

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This evening's meal was based upon butcher's pigasaurus chops. They are so named (by us) because they are huge, and cut very thick so that they cook well enough surrounding the bone, but don't become dry. MrB has been perfecting his cooking of these (in the airfryer) for a while.

Well, this evening I am delighted to announce perfection and the best crackling EVER. Not just best pork chop crackling, but best pork crackling - EVER. It was tall, fluffy, cut with a knife, but the fat had rendered beautifully.

Needless to say there were no photographs!

He can make that again. My hero. :happy::happy:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is he willing to share his methodology? Butcher near me has chops fitting that description!

From the maestro:

- Trim c80% of the fat (with rind attached) off. Leave some fat on the meat to help retain moisture.
- Put chops into the AF, directly on a shelf. Put the pre-crackling on another shelf, directly above the chops (so that it bastes the chops along the way).
- Cook at 105 for c90 minutes.
- Remove the chops, tent then in foil, leaving to finish cooking and rest.
- Leave rhe pre-crackling in the oven, but turn the heat up to 180c. c15 minutes later the crackling is ready.
- It's all ready to be served when you are ready to eat it.

All timings are approximate. The man cooks by ear (yes, I know that doesn't make sense).

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From the maestro:

- Trim c80% of the fat (with rind attached) off. Leave some fat on the meat to help retain moisture.
- Put chops into the AF, directly on a shelf. Put the pre-crackling on another shelf, directly above the chops (so that it bastes the chops along the way).
- Leave rhe pre-crackling in the oven, but turn the heat up to 180c. c15 minutes later the crackling is ready.

All timings are approximate. The man cooks by ear (yes, I know that doesn't make sense).

Thanks! I feel a trip to the butcher coming on.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a phd bar.
Dinner: crispy cheese and tomato omelette followed by SF strawberry jelly and cream.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From the maestro:

I have also heard of listening to a cake to hear if it’s cooked…even if it is a low carb version

Reactions: DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is he willing to share his methodology?
From the maestro:

Very informative answer on the methodology. Which leads to the next question: Is he willing to invite us over for dinner?

I'm pretty sure travelling to where you live is a lot less complicated and has a much greater chance of eating perfect pork chops than trying this myself!

I had the same as yesterday with less bacon (because I only had two rashers left) and an added small chopped chorizo sausage.

Shopping is planned for tomorrow morning, will need to buy groceries for a nice vegetarian meal. My friend is coming over to help paint my bedstee (bed built into the wall, very old fashioned) on saturday, so it will have to be something either very quick and easy after a long day of hot work, or preferably something I can prepare tomorrow to heat up on saturday.
I still have some cheese and onion sauce left which I could use, but that's not a must.
Suggestions are welcome!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lucky WI. All sounds wonderful.
I’m intrigued by ‘fridge gravel’.
Fridge gravel is whatever uncooked sad veg left at the bottom of the fridge blitzed in the food processor (like making cauliflower rice) then cooked a tablespoon or 2 of butter or olive oil, adding splashes of water when needed. Seasoning to taste
Just a mixed veg 'rice' really, but if it contains cabbage stalk, an onion, and cauliflower or broccoli stems seems tastier somehow.

Can also then add loads more water, cook until soft = instant soup. Could be blitzed to be thick and smooth too.

Nothing wasted in this house:)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Skipped breakfast, but did nibble a cold chipolata before midday exercise class

L: chicken thigh and 2 chipolatas. Hm lc brownies with tiny spoon commercial ice cream

D: out at Italian restaurant. Meatballs in tomato sauce served with spinach. Glass of white. Service very slow so had hm lc rhubarb cake with cream, when home again

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lost the plot yesterday food wise ate something that blew my bgl to the moon, I had a low of 4.3 this morning so I woke something up inside.

No menu today.

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
As on previous days, legs too bad to be wandering around the kitchen, or standing at the stove so I just reached for what I could from my chair - cheese sandwich, and it was white bread because I haven't managed to make any wholemeal. Not the best breakfast, but it filled a gap and now - some hours later, my legs have freed up a bit (thanks to pain killers) so I have managed to get out the rest of the sausage casserole and will reheat that for later. BG currently 10.4 - that's the bread.

Just had a letter from the hospital to tell me my HBa1c, tested last week, was 58. Still not wonderful, but no worse than the last time, so that's not as disappointing as I expected.

Also this morning I've cooked off some mushrooms (past their date, but still in good condition) and will make some kind of pate later for using in the coming days.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got lured into buying some ‘products’ today. Pretty clean ingredients but mixed reviews from me.

Both from Planet Organic - first was a brownie loaf. Only hint of sweetener is chicory root fibre (inulin) and it’s not sweet. Quite gooey too. Would have again, even if the stated portion size of ‘20g slice’ is more than optimistic. Anyone fancy their chances of slicing this into 10?! Five slices will be on the small size.

Second was a ‘paleo’ loaf. Not sweet but also not really savoury - tastes more like cake. And the coconut taste really comes through (not a taste I remotely enjoy). Might be better with a sharper cheese than the cream cheese I had on hand. Don’t think this one’s a goer.

Prior to the shopping I’d had my favourite brisket and onions from the Smoko stand in Shoreditch.
972678BD-D6CF-4D33-857A-A1D810417C6C.jpg

01836BA7-387C-4FC9-8226-DD02DD5D8661.jpeg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
AF9F9D62-C5A2-4337-B0AB-303694CEB9BB.jpeg

Another ferment started today- see photo - using padron peppers, asparagus stalks and turmeric - unusual combo but it’s veg that needed preserving or cooking. Also succeeded in my first kefir - it’s still a bit thin but gather it can take a week or so to get a thicker kefir, so will continue making daily while kefir grains get bigger and more efficient . My dormant, gifted 2 weeks ago, sour dough starter, I took out of fridge for a feed today to wake it up and hope to start the next stage tomorrow, feeding it again and then making the levain - it seems a bit complex and the dough won’t have reached the baking stage until Sunday as lots of resting and fermentation needed (but it needs time for the yeast bacteria to start to digest the sugars....more next day or so.
Today’s food:
9,as went to mid am yoga class, overnight seeds and hm yoghurts
1ish spoon of sauerkraut and of kimchi with a two egg mushroom omelette, followed by some hm kefir and a few garden berries and 100% chocolate
5ish salmon in lemon butter with asparagus tips(used the stalks in my ferment) and cauliflower cheese with glass of dry white wine followed by lc brownie.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Dinner: LC Marguerita pizza with coleslaw followed by SF cherry jelly and cream.

Edit to add my pic keeps rotating, I can’t get it to post the correct way up! :joyful:

94901B08-5BCE-4BB5-8036-B40918F03706.jpeg