What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
To be honest, in your shoes, I'd adopt one approach at a time - calorie restriction or kick the meat. If you fo both and see a change, how do you know what caused the change? That's just my view.
Good point! But I've got 2 years of work ahead of me, and so...I think for now...(I have ulcerative colitis) I just want to see what lean veganism does to my body. I suspect I won't sustain this. I love meat too much, and eggs.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good point! But I've got 2 years of work ahead of me, and so...I think for now...(I have ulcerative colitis) I just want to see what lean veganism does to my body. I suspect I won't sustain this. I love meat too much, and eggs.
Sorry, do you mean you have 2 years to work prior to retiring, or that you think it'll take 2 years to achieve your objective (whatever that is)?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm not sure how remaining working life is a big thing in any of this, as hopefully you have many, many more functional years ahead of you.

Of course, we're all different, but when manking changes for myself, or when talking to others about Change (I worked for many years in Structural and Cultural Change), if I look at a temporary "experiment", I always ask myself, what I would do if I found that rally worked, having already identified I couldn't sustain it.

Notwithstanding any of that, one change at a time is the way forward in my life. I find that gives me clear, robust metrics from which to make decisions.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So, a bright sunny day started with an 11k walk around the nearby playing fields, dog walk area and orchard. Added some hedge and ditch trimming and hoeing rounded off with dog walk. Will be 20k+ steps but all exercise outdoors so fuelled an appetite met by the menu below:

B: 2 mugs Tea with homemade almond milk: 11k step walk
MMS: 1 Mug of decaf coffee with double cream & homemade almond milk
L: 2 pint mugs tea with homemade almond milk; Mackerel and avocado salad
(lettuce; cucumber; radish; tomato; spring onion; chia seeds and psyllium husk powder) EV olive oil, acv and dijon vinaigrette; 1 tin mackerel in olive oil and 1 avocado Gardening 1
MAS: Homemade high fibre chocolate toffee bar version 1.0 (Callebaut 100% chocolate on top of inulin, butter and stevia toffee, on top of flaxseed, psyllium husk powder and butter base) version 1.1 will be deeper when new moulds come so we can accommodate raspberries - ultimately will lead to purchase of dehydrator I feel. When I am satisfied I will post pictures and details if people want. Hoeing
D: Reheated asparagus and broccoli no pastry quiche; mushrooms; tea; kale crisps: Dog walk
Produced highest fbg for a fortnight - 5.3 - so I am thoroughly miffed!

Last edited:

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Woke on a hypo- treated with lucozade

B: 2 slices of Waitrose low carb bread with an avocado and a cup of tea (milky)

Still recovering from
the mornings hypo (think I over treated it) so wasn’t hungry at lunch.

Lunch: Chai Seed Pudding and raspberries. A bite of cheese.

loooong day at work, so a quick and easy dinner-

D: Cauliflower and Broccoli with an egg fried in coconut oil. A hand-full of spinach. Still peckish so followed this with the Hartleys 10cal jelly and 3-4 raspberries.

A cup of tea later...

Edit- the lovely ladies who shared a lemon drizzle cake recipe- can you please share the recipe again? (I don’t know where I saved it!)

Also any recipes for a low carb scone (if one exists)?

Lastly.. what are these hotel chocolate buttons?

TIA

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (2 tsp) washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over roast chicken and mixed veggies followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid-afternoon: caramel Phd bar and a black coffee.
Dinner: sweet and sour chicken with cauli rice and a low carb garlic and coriander ‘naan’ bread (it was actually a Joseph’s low carb pitta grilled with home made garlic and coriander butter, very tasty though I say so myself :hungry:). Followed by Hartleys 10 cal jelly and cream.

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Monday all. Had a really good weekend blood sugar-wise but today it's a little higher again. My body obviously knows it's Monday....

L: Low carb bagel with chicken and bacon mayonnaise, and Mattesson's sausage. Almond milk cold brew coffee.
D: Chicken and chorizo kebabs, brie
Snacks: Quest chocolate chip cookie dough bar

I was eyeing up the Quest bars the other day but didn't purchase them because they're so expensive. Went into my local Holland and Barrett the day after and they had 8 bars for half price! Definitely took that as a sign from the universe. I love Quest bars and I can usually make one bar last all day. No noticeable effect on sugars either.

How do you all control yourself with these Hotel Chocolat buttons? I've been considering getting some 100% chocolate but I just fear I'd eat it all in one sitting as not had any real chocolate in over a month, lol!

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@CranberryIce here’s the lemon drizzle cake recipe:
https://www.everydaysugarfree.co.uk/single-post/2018/02/02/Lemon-Drizzle-Cake
And here’s a low carb scone recipe I found recently, I haven’t tried it yet but it’s baking day on Friday so i’m Going to try them with low carb jam and clotted cream :hungry:
http://www.lowcarbsisters.com/almond-flour-scones-low-carb-gluten-free/
Edit: Hotel Chocolat sell 100% buttons

Awesome thank you.

Let me know how your bake goes... I will attempt them after I attempt the lemon drizzle cake. :)

Reactions: ianpspurs

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
May I ask how you made the chorizo crisps? I've got a lot of chorizo that needs using up!

Absolutely!

Works well with salami, too

Take 2 pieces of kitchen paper, and lay slices of chorizo between them.
Microwave till crisp (with our microwave that is 8 slices and 1min 40secs)

Allow to cool so they crisp up, and nibble delicately, with your little finger raised at a posh angle.

They are excellent with cream cheese or egg mayo dips. Or salsa, if you want to go the veg route.

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
Sorry, do you mean you have 2 years to work prior to retiring, or that you think it'll take 2 years to achieve your objective (whatever that is)?

I mean the latter...it'll take 2 years to get 100 lbs off. I think. That's my best guess. And to reverse fatty liver. And to control this, whatever this is...T2D or metabolic syndrome. Aren't these the same thing? Wrong place to ask this, I realize...

Thanks,
MM

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@CranberryIce here’s the lemon drizzle cake recipe:
https://www.everydaysugarfree.co.uk/single-post/2018/02/02/Lemon-Drizzle-Cake
And here’s a low carb scone recipe I found recently, I haven’t tried it yet but it’s baking day on Friday so i’m Going to try them with low carb jam and clotted cream :hungry:
http://www.lowcarbsisters.com/almond-flour-scones-low-carb-gluten-free/
Edit: Hotel Chocolat sell 100% buttons
The scone recipe looks like it might be worth try, please let me know how it goes as you will get a chance to make them before me.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely!

Works well with salami, too

Take 2 pieces of kitchen paper, and lay slices of chorizo between them.
Microwave till crisp (with our microwave that is 8 slices and 1min 40secs)

Allow to cool so they crisp up, and nibble delicately, with your little finger raised at a posh angle.

They are excellent with cream cheese or egg mayo dips. Or salsa, if you want to go the veg route.
AdamJames they are amazing I make them using salami or chorizo, they are very moorish.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone
Today started with cheese and some salami crisps
Lunch - mackerel, peppers, tomato, cheese and mayo
Snack - small packet of pork scratchings
Evening meal - fresh tuna, kale, cauliflower rice followed by lemon drizzle cake, raspberries and cream

I’ve also made my favourite cauliflower soup for lunch tomorrow

Attachments

• 21CBAEC3-1433-4707-BB32-9E1EACACD5A0.jpeg
    21CBAEC3-1433-4707-BB32-9E1EACACD5A0.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 315
  • 1FE228A5-FD56-467E-A8E6-C6500564CE9F.jpeg
    1FE228A5-FD56-467E-A8E6-C6500564CE9F.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 420
  • 8468E40B-3647-4FC5-AF19-87D9922D73B6.jpeg
    8468E40B-3647-4FC5-AF19-87D9922D73B6.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 381

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Feeling under the weather again yesterday- and ravenous. Ate at least 2 days worth of food: M&S near work now needs to restock pork crackling, nuts and cream. Did manage to keep carbs to 27g.

Breakfast - not planned. Ate the packed lunch I’d prepared. Bresaola, cheese and small portion of rocket and piccolino tomatoes with mayonnaise. That’s when it all started to go downhill.

Snacks/lunch (kind of all merged into one): bag of pork crunch, bag of pork crackling, Serrano ham and manchego rollitos, bag of salted almonds.

Dinner - half a Lidl protein roll loaded with clotted cream and almond butter, 40g salami, mini babybel, few piccolino tomatoes
, small bar (32g) Labooko 100% chocolate.

Somewhat amazing FBG of 4.7 this morning. Doubting my own theory about too much protein now.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Feeling under the weather again yesterday- and ravenous. Ate at least 2 days worth of food: M&S near work now needs to restock pork crackling, nuts and cream. Did manage to keep carbs to 27g.

Breakfast - not planned. Ate the packed lunch I’d prepared. Bresaola, cheese and small portion of rocket and piccolino tomatoes with mayonnaise. That’s when it all started to go downhill.

Snacks/lunch (kind of all merged into one): bag of pork crunch, bag of pork crackling, Serrano ham and manchego rollitos, bag of salted almonds.

Dinner - half a Lidl protein roll loaded with clotted cream and almond butter, 40g salami, mini babybel, few piccolino tomatoes
, small bar (32g) Labooko 100% chocolate.

Somewhat amazing FBG of 4.7 this morning. Doubting my own theory about too much protein now.

Don’t worry. Just your body saying it needed to renourish. I am often amazed at the daily variation in quantity and frequency of meals that my body ‘requests’ now that I no longer eat to the clock :)

Re chorizo crisps:
Am I the only one to be a little concerned about @AdamJames ?
Last seen heading into the kitchen on a late night chorizo and cheese mission.
And nothing since.
Rather worrying.
I have visions of him sprawled between fridge and microwave, overcome with crispy cheesy chorizoness...

Andrew, if you can reach your phone, please let us know if you are OK?

Just basic txt spk wil do. Don’t try using the little fingers yet. They may need a longer recovery! It can take a while (and daily training) Until they are fully up to speed.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55