What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DJC3 pleased about your daughter being back bet that was a great celebration
I use a company called Thriva they supply all the stuff you need by post to take the sample etc you seal it up and send it off. Last time they got back with online results the following afternoon and it included a private gps report! I got a code which offered it for half price the cholesterol and liver test should have been 24 quid but got for 12 quid in total. Also did a feed back survey and they credited me with a fiver so this second test will cost me 19. I found it easy to do. You take out a subscription but can pause or cancel at any time. You can also personalise your order so add tests like hbaca1, CReactive protein, vitamin d etc etc to it if want onto the basic test subscription but I’ve stuck to the essential tests for now. I do have codes if ever anyone wants one . I wish they did ldl cholesterol particle size test but they don’t at moment. Hope this helps

How do you manage to get enough blood out? I remember bulkbiker posting pictures of the equipment sent by another company for drawing blood and I couldn’t imagine how it would work!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DJC3 pleased about your daughter being back bet that was a great celebration
I use a company called Thriva they supply all the stuff you need by post to take the sample etc you seal it up and send it off. Last time they got back with online results the following afternoon and it included a private gps report! I got a code which offered it for half price the cholesterol and liver test should have been 24 quid but got for 12 quid in total. Also did a feed back survey and they credited me with a fiver so this second test will cost me 19. I found it easy to do. You take out a subscription but can pause or cancel at any time. You can also personalise your order so add tests like hbaca1, CReactive protein, vitamin d etc etc to it if want onto the basic test subscription but I’ve stuck to the essential tests for now. I do have codes if ever anyone wants one . I wish they did ldl cholesterol particle size test but they don’t at moment. Hope this helps

Thanks for the info: That’s a lot cheaper than I expected. And really quick turnaround.
How do you manage to actually draw the blood sample though without a phlebotomist?
I’m going to wait to see how you get on with your increased healthy fats and plant sterols and hopefully follow suit withdiet tweaks to begin with.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you manage to get enough blood out? I remember bulkbiker posting pictures of the equipment sent by another company for drawing blood and I couldn’t imagine how it would work!
It was so easy just followed instructions. They provide a lancet and a mini test tube and stand. You soak hand for two mins, use lancet, stand over the test tube and stroke down your hand and finger, they don’t need much and I was amazed how easy it was - hope it is again! You then use plaster provided put top on tube stick printed label on, put tube into special packaging and envelope. Will let you know tomorrow but only took a couple of mins last time easier than the blood draw at gps. You may need more blood if you had more tests but they provide several lancets for in case needed I only needed one - first time lucky!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the info: That’s a lot cheaper than I expected. And really quick turnaround.
How do you manage to actually draw the blood sample though without a phlebotomist?
I’m going to wait to see how you get on with your increased healthy fats and plant sterols and hopefully follow suit withdiet tweaks to begin with.
Just outlined re blood. Will let you know !

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was so easy just followed instructions. They provide a lancet and a mini test tube and stand. You soak hand for two mins, use lancet, stand over the test tube and stroke down your hand and finger, they don’t need much and I was amazed how easy it was - hope it is again! You then use plaster provided put top on tube stick printed label on, put tube into special packaging and envelope. Will let you know tomorrow but only took a couple of mins last time easier than the blood draw at gps. You may need more blood if you had more tests but they provide several lancets for in case needed I only needed one - first time lucky!

Ah Just realised you’ve already posted an answer to my question too. Sorry should have read through to end of thread first

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I often have problems getting enough blood for an ordinary meter reading, hence the skepticism! This weather should make it easier though.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I often have problems getting enough blood for an ordinary meter reading, hence the skepticism! This weather should make it easier though.
I do too and also at GPs! Think their lancet makes a deeper pierce although it didn’t hurt but did the job think I’m tempting fate at the moment though
Edit love the new avatar

Reactions: ianpspurs

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all hope good day had by all. Did blood draw first thing and like last time really easy to do so await results within 48 hours will let you know once I do! Hope get results tomorrow like last time but could be day afterwards.....
Met up with close friend for coffee at lunchtime and also puppy caring today good fun.
Breakfast one slice of bacon and egg
Lunch out for coffee had flat white and smuggled in Adonis bar with some mixed nuts and 100% choc buttons
Dinner chicken stir fry with bean sprouts and a largish glass of red wine followed by sf jelly and fage yoghurt.
Will see what tomorrow brings!

Reactions: jayney27

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all (Dixon of The Fens). Should have been a good day for me, warm weather and cricket to watch with England strolling to victory. I haven't really felt any love for the day even though I had a version of flavoured milk drink I liked a lot in my old life. Menu below and tomorrow is another day:

6. 00- 1 pint Kenco Americano decaf with Arla lactofree single cream
6.40-7.20 - 2 normal sized mugs tea with h/m almond milk
9.20 Starbucks Vente almond milk Macchiato Latte with sugar free caramel
12.05 113.20 3 pints tea with almond milk;
14.40 Gammon hock; Keto mug bread roll; cheddar cheese; Chopped Pork; Water
16.40 High fibre chocky bar; raspberries; extra tick Jersey double cream; water
19.00: Fluffy omelette (3 eggs, mushrooms, chorizo; cheddar cheese; asparagus - surely the last?); h/m garlic mayo; Water

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all hope good day had by all. Did blood draw first thing and like last time really easy to do so await results within 48 hours will let you know once I do! Hope get results tomorrow like last time but could be day afterwards.....
Met up with close friend for coffee at lunchtime and also puppy caring today good fun.
Breakfast one slice of bacon and egg
Lunch out for coffee had flat white and smuggled in Adonis bar with some mixed nuts and 100% choc buttons
Dinner chicken stir fry with bean sprouts and a largish glass of red wine followed by sf jelly and fage yoghurt.
Will see what tomorrow brings!
A perfect day by the read of your post, I hope you are truly rewarded with your results :)

Reactions: Brunneria

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, much cooler day today, even a few spots of rain on my drive home. Seems as though I’m getting back to where I like to be numbers wise, apart from my waking 6.2 the remainder of the day I’ve been in the 5’s and before evening meal a 4.8 :happy:
B slice of livlife toast, almond butter and coffee with cream
L salad with goats cheese wrapped in salami
Nice lunchtime walk and some donkey cuddles before a 2hr team meeting, turmeric Adonis bar during coffee break, I just had flavoured water
Coffee with cream when I got home after a nice dog walk
D salmon, kale, asparagus wrapped in bacon with mayo followed by 6 dark cherries and cream

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Wow! Still picking asparagus @ianpspurs how wonderful - is this a record?
@shelley262 I’m awaiting your results with baited breath also.

Its been lovely here today, the temperature has finally dropped a couple of degrees and there’s a pleasant breeze.

B: scrambled egg, smoked salmon and avocado. Coffee and cream.

Late lunch - the girls said they’ve been craving Nandos all the time they were away so walked into town to oblige. Had 4 chicken thighs, halloumi and a portobello mushroom withdiet coke.
BG exactly the same before and after, better than yesterday with all the ‘healthy’ salad.

D: none - still stuffed, may have a handful of walnuts and glass of red later

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ham, cheese, mayo and Branston for lunch,
Dragon Breath Chilli this evening. Recipe from World of Warcraft official recipe book. Was the best chilli I’ve ever made, so will be trying out a few more of these recipes in future. :D

Probably goatsmilk yog later.

Kingmidas

Breakfast - greek yoghurt, sugar free jelly and some berries. Mid morning snack - handful of nuts and cheese. Lunch - ham salad sandwich made with lo-dough.
1/4 of a cookie (and a cuppa) when visiting mum in care home
Ranch steaks and mixed veg for tea and that's it for now! I'm v new to all this and am prediabetic so trying to reverse it, and my fatty liver. Lost 6lb so far just by low carbing!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: ham with cauliflower, broccoli and mushroom salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries
Mid afternoon I was super hungry when I came in from work so after raspberry chia pudding and black coffee I had a phd bar.
Dinner: cheese and mushroom omelette with cauliflower, broccoli and red onion salad followed by strawberries and Oppo.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - greek yoghurt, sugar free jelly and some berries. Mid morning snack - handful of nuts and cheese. Lunch - ham salad sandwich made with lo-dough.
1/4 of a cookie (and a cuppa) when visiting mum in care home
Ranch steaks and mixed veg for tea and that's it for now! I'm v new to all this and am prediabetic so trying to reverse it, and my fatty liver. Lost 6lb so far just by low carbing!
Welcome to this thread @Kingmidas sounds like you’re going in the right direction well done and look forward to reading your contributions. Well done on your weight loss you’re doing great.

Kingmidas

Welcome to this thread @Kingmidas sounds like you’re going in the right direction well done and look forward to reading your contributions. Well done on your weight loss you’re doing great.
Thanks! I'm not intending to go no carb, just low withour getting any serious withdrawal symptoms I'm not missing potatoes, rice, pasta or bread to my surprise!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks! I'm not intending to go no carb, just low withour getting any serious withdrawal symptoms I'm not missing potatoes, rice, pasta or bread to my surprise!
Not many of us do no carb think it would be almost impossible unless you gave up on veggies. I stick to below 30g of carb and often below 20g of carb a day but it’s worked and by using lots of low carb alternatives it’s really easy and enjoyable. I’ve been eating this way for nearly 11 months now lost 3 and a half stone and my hbaca1 is 30- down from 97 on diagnosis it’s well worth it.
Www.dietdoctor.com is great source for recipes if you’re keen on finding new ideas

Reactions: ianpspurs

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Appetite seems to be slightly decreasing.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - smoked salmon and cream cheese followed by 16g of Alter Eco 85% chocolate

Dinner - reheated portion of the old style Waitrose lamb kleftico, followed by extra thick double cream, 30g 85% chocolate and a small bag of salted nuts.

Fingers crossed for your results @shelley262 and @ianpspurs hope your MRI result discussion was positive.