What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@ianpspurs so glad I wore my big jumper to work. Heating had not been fixed and it was freezing. Was first in the queue when Argos around the corner from the office opened at 9. Bought two heaters for our room. Brownie point number 1 from colleagues.

Point number two was for the cakes - went down a storm, especially the raspberry clafoutis which disappeared in seconds. Some brainwashing has obviously gone on - overheard someone saying ‘but @Goonergal s cakes are healthy. It’s like eating a salad’!

Felt unusually hungry during the morning. Checked BG around 10.30 and was 3.5 so decided to eat lunch at that point. Smoked salmon and some of the delicious M&S whipped creamy cheese.

Lunch was with the birthday girl at work - 2 fried eggs and 2 rashers bacon.

Then there was this afternoon’s cake fest. I had a small(ish) piece of everything and some extra thick double cream.

Dinner (brined chicken prepared at the weekend) has been abolished.[/QUOTE
This post reads like a perfect day and lovely food despite the need to buy heaters x

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
More jumper stories to annoy the boys;)
Went to Sainsburys today, they have 25% off so bought a really thick jumper I have had my eye on. Was too lazy to try it on and guess what??? it's stupidly tight around the inset of the arms so it has to go back:arghh:. I need jumpers!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Breakfast - Hi lo toast and butter
Lunch- Pate, salad, rollitos. Strawberries and cream.
Dinner - Scrambled egg. Two squares of green and blacks.
Snacks - Smoked almonds
I treated myself to 2 jumpers and a knitted dress from Sainsbury’s at the weekend, too good to miss out on 25% off

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone,
I survived my first day back at work, it’s always a bit of a shock to the system lol
Coffee with cream, slices of ham, piece of cheddar and small pot of Philadelphia for breakfast
Lunch was homemade cauliflower soup, salami crisps and a small pack of pork scratchings
Dinner, 2 cheese and bacon sausages, celeriac chips and sprouts roasted with little bits of chopped salami and mushroom
Now enjoying a glass of wine

I’ve just made a sweet potato and celeriac soup for lunch tomorrow, I had a lovely bowl of sweet potato and parsnip soup when I was at the farm on Saturday which didn’t seem to have an adverse effect on my BG so I’m hoping for a similar result tomorrow, I wasn’t able to get a parsnip, hence the celeriac swap plus I’ve added some coconut cream, I have just had a tiny taste and it’s good :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You’re right, we each have to find our own way - it doesn’t seem as simple as just giving up the white and beige carbs.
Like you I didn’t really have a problem with the pasta/ rice/ bread etc and enjoy the high fat food but I’ve found the last couple of days that what was working for me for a fortnight or so seems not to be working now and bgs are starting to rise again for no obvious reason. It’s maddening.
I’m wondering if ‘eating to the meter’ is baloney as the same food a couple of weeks apart will give different readings. Obviously a Mars bar would give a massive spike but if it comes to weighing out spinach because 30g is ok but 40g is not that is v depressing.
I hope you find a way that works for you - it must be doubly difficult if you are taking steroids, are they long term or will you be off them one day?
I do need steroids from time to time. Usually the effect on BG and weight gain settles a few weeks after taking them. It has been a few months since I last needed them. I was seeing double figures for a while, and at least that has stopped. I am not liking the 8s fasting levels though. I probably am getting impatient because another HbA1c is due in a month, and I have realy been working at getting back to decent levels.
You are right about the unpredictability of it all. I thought I had cracked it having managed to gain good control since 2011, but nothing remains the same, and this is just a reminder for me to remain vigilant, and keep on searching, being aware that there is more than one way to skin this particular cat. Just have to find the best way for my current circumstances. I hazaed a guess that I need to drop weight considerably.
I hope you can work out your reasons for change in BG levels, @DJC3. I do think eating to the meter needs to continue, though. At least until levels settle back when it seems to me that it is ok to drop some of the testing.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think eating to the meter is a problem so much as expecting the levels to be unaffected by the amount and intensity of exercise, hydration, stress levels, sleep etc. Those are important variables which we don't/can't control for.

I think that is sort of what I’m getting at - there are so many variables other than food that eating to the meter is meaningless really.
I’ll still carry on testing for now and being alternately glum and happy because of it. Didn’t get bg under 6 until 8pm this evening - goodness sake!!!

Reactions: neithskye

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am more wuserer than you as we say round here:angelic: Anyhow, you've got an ology - you guys love numbers and **it like that:angelic:

I’m rapidly going off numbers and **it like that. And I think you are partial to a spreadsheet?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
More jumper stories to annoy the boys;)
Went to Sainsburys today, they have 25% off so bought a really thick jumper I have had my eye on. Was too lazy to try it on and guess what??? it's stupidly tight around the inset of the arms so it has to go back:arghh:. I need jumpers!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Breakfast - Hi lo toast and butter
Lunch- Pate, salad, rollitos. Strawberries and cream.
Dinner - Scrambled egg. Two squares of green and blacks.
Snacks - Smoked almonds
I went off to the swimming pool, forget coat, or jumper. So wearing short sleeved T shirt, I braved the chill wind when damp after swim. The 20 yards from exit to car were sprinted PDQ.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think we will see you right but I can't see City losing to us. Poch needs to move on for his own good - this squad needed rebuilding over the summer IMHO.
Could be worse. Could support Everton, like the Pipp family. :arghh:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone. My symapthies to @Goonergal and @ianpspurs for heating and boiler issues . Glad the cakes went down well though Goonergal.

@jayney27 the first day back to work is grim, glad its over - wine well deserved.
@shelley262 sounds like you earned your wine today too. Are you off to see your mum?

Didn’t have breakfast til 10ish today - waiting for daughter who had a late start but a long day ahead of her. Bgs high by then and never really recovered.
Had bacon and spinach frittata. Coffee and cream.

L: Rottiserie chicken wing and drumstick with green salad and a bucket of h/ m mayo.

D: DD meat pie. The pastry worked really well, it was like play doh initially and had to be smooshed into place but then held it’s shape well. Decaf coffee and cream. Most of the pie was eaten before I thought of taking a picture but here’s the last slice-
IMG_5828.jpg

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m rapidly going off numbers and **it like that. And I think you are partial to a spreadsheet?
DJC - Are these strips new at all? Just asking my broken record question, when things seem very random.

Reactions: DJC3

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone. My symapthies to @Goonergal and @ianpspurs for heating and boiler issues . Glad the cakes went down well though Goonergal.

@jayney27 the first day back to work is grim, glad its over - wine well deserved.
@shelley262 sounds like you earned your wine today too. Are you off to see your mum?

Didn’t have breakfast til 10ish today - waiting for daughter who had a late start but a long day ahead of her. Bgs high by then and never really recovered.

L: Rottiserie chicken wing and drumstick with green salad and a bucket of h/ m mayo.

D: DD meat pie. The pastry worked really well, it was like play doh initially and had to be smooshed into place but then held it’s shape well. Decaf coffee and cream. Most of the pie was eaten before I thought of taking a picture but here’s the last slice-
View attachment 29240
I’m on my second glass lol just had a lovely bubble bath and am relaxing with a conditioning treatment on my hair, I know how to rock and roll;)
The day wasn’t too bad to be fair, once I had sorted my emails and had a catch up with my colleagues it was lunch time, I then went for a lovely walk in the sunshine after my wonderful cauliflower soup and treated myself to a cappuccino before heading back to a meeting.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad the cakes went down well though Goonergal.

Thanks. They don’t seem to have gone down well with me. After a few weeks without sweeteners and heavy duty fibre (I’m looking at you CCBs) my digestive system is not happy.

Have you recently opened a new pot of strips? Could be behind BG issues.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 29240
That pie looks rather spiffing - I just know we will try and find it turns out a disaster but God loves a trier. @Goonergal That was the whole purpose of the CCBs - I even added psyllium husk powder to be sure. Hope things settle for you

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold Tesco Chinese style pork with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon peach chia pudding with black coffee.
Dinner: DD cauliflower and broccoli cheese with peas followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went off to the swimming pool, forget coat, or jumper. So wearing short sleeved T shirt, I braved the chill wind when damp after swim. The 20 yards from exit to car were sprinted PDQ.
You are super hardy, I'm always cold!

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DJC - Are these strips new at all? Just asking my broken record question, when things seem very random.

No sadly, the same pot that was giving me sub 5s last week. Haven’t left the lid open or anything like that. It seems that my body has just reset itself to accomodate the more keto approach.

Reactions: maglil55

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday I made a big change. Using some meal low cal meal replacement products
Early breakfast: meal replacement porridge, blueberries, ginger tea.
Lunch: meal replacement shake made with water
Dinner: vegetable stir fry
Supper: meal replacement shake made with almond milk.
Drank soda water, tap water, black coffee, throughout the day.

Relatively low carb at 56g .
Total fat 29g
Total protein 41g

Not my ideal choice of menu, but already I feel better, have slim ankles with visible bones, water retention gone.
Will continue this way of eating for a bit longer, to see how it goes.
Unfortunately I don't know effect on BG levels as I am waiting for a delivery of test strips and managed to drop my remaining 10 strips in the washbasin this morning.