What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bother 13 minutes late, no watercolour today but a quick A4 pencil sketch of an idea for a painting. Inspired by some reflections in the strong cold light of last week near Fair Oak Pools which I Cycle past on Cannock Chase. The painting will be more abstract than this sketch with strong light and darker shades.
View attachment 39918
Your lovely painting reminded me of some of the places we love to walk around Norfolk and Suffolk.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

was 4.1 yesterday and 4.3 today

weekly shopping yesterday, we were out first thing and shopping as soon as the shops opened, it was pretty quiet but, of course, still a bit stressful, wipes hand sanitiser etc. to the fore and almost everybody we saw scuttling round to get done.
Asda have laid the store out in a one way aisle system, not everyone was complying yet but fortunately there weren't too many people so early here, there was a marshal at the door too because of the width of the main doors and lobby, not much of interesting job being a human traffic light perhaps (or is that hopefully?)

We had mum's list too and the only things we didn't manage to get were bread flour and yeast which mum wanted, fortunately she does have the makings for another loaf left though, (I forgot to put hand sanitiser on my list, but since there wasn't any available anyway ......:sorry:).

hope your day will be a kind and tranquil one :)

@Muddy Cyclist - I'm inclined to be a bit (too much :hilarious:) detail oriented so 'still life' is probably a result of that, my difficulty is becoming more adventurous with colour and more free, I love your landscapes and both yourself and @gennepher have a freedom with colour I love :) it's one of the reasons I want to learn to do landscapes (we have a lot of landscape/seascape here :D).

speaking of which here is a bit of catch up art I intended to post yesterday

the first paints I had were a cheap box from ebay which were a 'stocking stuffer' at Christmas, then I found some ancient paints from my school days (a rather dried up box of Windsor and Newton gouache in tubes and a tiny sketching box of student watercolours with 12 unlabelled colours and an equally tiny brush). At this point I used a Christmas Amazon voucher to get some more paints (I've since learned this was a rookie mistake and I should have ordered some better paper ;))

number 1 is a small pic done with the new paints - Kuretaki Gansei Tambi - these are Japanese, come in a beautiful cardboard box and are sort of a vibrant hybrid between trad (transparent) watercolour and gouache (opaque).
View attachment 39922

no 2 is a dodgy landscape done with the W+N sketching box, on 100gsm A4 paper, it was much bluer/ greyer when I painted it (not better, just greyer :bag:) I didn't realise how much the blue in this set fades back into the paper when it dries. I include this as a point of reference so, hopefully, later painting will show an improvement :hilarious:
View attachment 39923
I do like your paintings. Very different but equally as good.

EF

Newly diagnosed t2. So fairly obsessive about checking bG and diet and exercise. I’m not overweight, I walk dog a few miles most days, have always eaten med. so I was shocked when the nurse told me. No one told me I was prediabetic two years ago. Grr

Can’t take metformin. Would like to know good apps and carb counters etc.

Yesterday I found a little miracle cure for morning high bG. I got up and ran up the drive 10 times. .5 mile. My neighbors thought it was great fun. Then I had a breakfast of chia seeds and banana and half a cup of whole milk and big cup of coffee and the numbers went from 10 to 7. I’d say that’s a win.

Today I woke up at 13 bG, did the run AFTER the chia seed breakfast and the numbers only came down to 11.2. So get heart pumping before eating seems to be the way to go.

Anyone have any ideas?

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh no I have been really naughty. It is so quiet and rural here so we have been flouting the rules and have taken the doggies out for two walks a day.

There were two dog walkers already in the field we do our morning walk in and we chatted as we walked around (keeping at least 10ft apart).

I mentioned my law breaking and the moment the words left my mouth I remembered that one of the dog walkers was a police officer. Oh dear - how could anyone be so stupid.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.5 this morning and a temp of 35.6

Been awake since 0230 after a heavy coughing bout shook me up. Cough is still occurring but I have a bit more control over it. Feeling exhausted so will be away from the net today. Take care
Hope you get some rest today to make up for your missed sleep. Good sign that you have got a bit more control over the cough.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Newly diagnosed t2. So fairly obsessive about checking bG and diet and exercise. I’m not overweight, I walk dog a few miles most days, have always eaten med. so I was shocked when the nurse told me. No one told me I was prediabetic two years ago. Grr

Yesterday I found a little miracle cure for morning high bG. I got up and ran up the drive 10 times. .5 mile. My neighbors thought it was great fun. Then I had a breakfast of chia seeds and banana and half a cup of whole milk and big cup of coffee and the numbers went from 10 to 7. I’d say that’s a win.

Today I woke up at 13 bG, did the run AFTER the chia seed breakfast and the numbers only came down to 11.2. So get heart pumping before eating seems to be the way to go.

Anyone have any ideas?
Hi @EF. Testing is good as is exercise. We are not judgemental around here so at first glance maybe you would want to consider the place of the banana in your breakfast as well as the order of exercise and eating. For carb counting and apps you will see and hear of so many. Chronometer is one I use but others will give more choices. I look forward to reading of your journey. 2 links below may help
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/diet-meal-plan
https://cronometer.com/
Hope that helps but my role here is the official village idiot so don't get your hopes up.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and 5.9 today.

FM still keeping me in a fog and pian.

Do what you have to today well and with due care.
Hope you start feeling more comfortable very soon. When is the 24 hours up? Do you think that this attack may go on longer than the usual 24hrs?

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope that helps but my role here is the official village idiot so don't get your hopes up.
If that is your role here - which I very much doubt - I think I took on the role of village idiot this morning. No one could dispute my credentials for the role after what happened on the dog walk this morning.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...fell asleep on the sofa last night woke up at 3am off to bed another four hours sleep so feeling reasonably okay with that...freezing here the kittens fed and out in the garden so the doors are open no idea when they'll be brave enough to stay out there with the doors closed hope it's soon...woke to a 6.8 BG & temperature 35.6 fine with those numbers...more coffee & breakfast needed hoping to rearrange appointment at the anti-coagulant clinic on Tuesday I've no wish to queue in a clinic at the hospital...keep safe.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Anyone have any ideas?
Welcome, and off to a good start. I find that a bit of cheese or some other protein/high fat food will help drag down a high fasting reading. Your reading could well have been fine the very minute your body decided to wake and you were climbing a liver dump curve at the time of testing. Testing is good, dumping the banana might be worth considering as “banana” is yet another word for “sugar”. Lowering your carb intake will certainly help - it’s a long haul thing.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Anyone have any ideas?
Welcome @EF I agree with our village idiot @ianpspurs and contortionist master of exercise @dunelm dump the banana, I replaced mine with Raspberries but only a few. I do a lot of Aerobic exercise, as my avatar suggests, i take readings onreturn from long rides and always find my BG is up. As for APPS I got fed up using them and started recording in my diary on phone and iPad, found it much I easier but then I'm possibly old school at 70. As for counting carbs I managed to get my HbA1c down to prediabetic 12 weeks after diagnosis by keeping under 35grm of carbs per day, I also found any single meal of more than 20grm of carbs pushes my BG up. We are all different and it takes awhile to see what works for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: ianpspurs

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you start feeling more comfortable very soon. When is the 24 hours up? Do you think that this attack may go on longer than the usual 24hrs?
Thanks @Krystyna23040 I do hope not, need to keep busy and not give into it which would be very easy, lost yesterday afternoon so then get stressed about all that wasted time, vicious circle. :banghead:

Reactions: HarryBeau

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @EF I agree with our village idiot @ianpspurs and contortionist master of exercise @dunelm dump the banana, I replaced mine with Raspberries but only a few. I do a lot of Aerobic exercise, as my avatar suggests, i take readings onreturn from long rides and always find my BG is up. As for APPS I got fed up using them and started recording in my diary on phone and iPad, found it much I easier but then I'm possibly old school at 70. As for counting carbs I managed to get my HbA1c down to prediabetic 12 weeks after diagnosis by keeping under 35grm of carbs per day, I also found any single meal of more than 20grm of carbs pushes my BG up. We are all different and it takes awhile to see what works for you.
@ET managing T2 is highly individual (vogue phrase appears to be N=1).. Many here like this guy who explains this idea more. If it helps, good. If not you won't be the first who doesn't really understand what goes on with their body and bg control - I certainly don't. The body and T2 are really capricious so my advice would be run a mile from all those who are absolutely certain that a) they have found THE way to control T2 and b) If only you do as they do it will work a charm. Pretty much bog standard advice in all areas of life but uncommon sense in some areas of this forum.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/dr-david-unwin-on-why-n-1-really-matters.169223/

Last edited: