What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Newly diagnosed t2. So fairly obsessive about checking bG and diet and exercise. I’m not overweight, I walk dog a few miles most days, have always eaten med. so I was shocked when the nurse told me. No one told me I was prediabetic two years ago. Grr

Can’t take metformin. Would like to know good apps and carb counters etc.

Yesterday I found a little miracle cure for morning high bG. I got up and ran up the drive 10 times. .5 mile. My neighbors thought it was great fun. Then I had a breakfast of chia seeds and banana and half a cup of whole milk and big cup of coffee and the numbers went from 10 to 7. I’d say that’s a win.

Today I woke up at 13 bG, did the run AFTER the chia seed breakfast and the numbers only came down to 11.2. So get heart pumping before eating seems to be the way to go.

Anyone have any ideas?
Hello EF. I can't take regular metformin 2 x 500mg either. Now take two 500mg Glucophage (Slow release metformin) with evening meal. Works for me.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
02-04-2020

6,40am FBG 5.4

MrSlim has decided he should go back to work in UK. We have agreed that I will stay here. So yesterday was lessons on how to refuel the mower and tractor. Practice run round the garden on my electric bike ( very wobbly) and the gas ran out. Good thing it was now. While I still have a car. MrSlim had another look at my laptop. He will need his.

Off to the shop again. It seems the police can legally demand to see your shopping, although whether something is essential, or not, can be a subjective decision. Will be putting milk, bread, coffee and vegetables on top. Sundried tomatoes hidden in the bottom of the bag. Along with ground almonds, sunflower seeds, if i can get any, and olives.

Get well and stay well wishes as appropriate for all.

Going out to see how the seedlings survived the overnight frost in their makeshift shelters.

20200331_200350.jpeg
20200331_200408.jpeg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.8 on a cold sunny morning. I was praying for a good apartment in my new home, and then turned on the TV to see a program about creatures of coral reefs being taken from their homes by humans who for over a decade have been taking them from their homes and putting them in tiny test tubes on shelves. They rip the creatures from their coral homes and put them in plastic tubs, with no food, because these creatures are part of the food chain that -- at its "highest" link -- feeds humans.

If we lose our fishing rights we will just go out and rip them from their homes to study them.
And the result of this study? The realization that if acidity levels continue to rise in the oceans, evolution will not be able to keep up with the demands humanity is putting on the earth.

Kinda like the warehouses that assure us they have plenty of toilet paper and food but, if we keep ripping it all off the shelves and hoarding it, their supplying can't keep up with our demanding and taking.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@dunelm I have 2 words for you. :)

Cader Idris.

My mountain-climb of choice. Except that I can see a lovely mountain just out my window. Only right now it is 4 degrees out there, and probably even colder on the mountaintop.
The temperature will have a lot of climbing of its own to do if it's to reach its predicted 19 degrees by suppertime!

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good morning all :)

was 4.1 yesterday and 4.3 today

weekly shopping yesterday, we were out first thing and shopping as soon as the shops opened, it was pretty quiet but, of course, still a bit stressful, wipes hand sanitiser etc. to the fore and almost everybody we saw scuttling round to get done.
Asda have laid the store out in a one way aisle system, not everyone was complying yet but fortunately there weren't too many people so early here, there was a marshal at the door too because of the width of the main doors and lobby, not much of interesting job being a human traffic light perhaps (or is that hopefully?)

We had mum's list too and the only things we didn't manage to get were bread flour and yeast which mum wanted, fortunately she does have the makings for another loaf left though, (I forgot to put hand sanitiser on my list, but since there wasn't any available anyway ......:sorry:).

hope your day will be a kind and tranquil one :)

@Muddy Cyclist - I'm inclined to be a bit (too much :hilarious:) detail oriented so 'still life' is probably a result of that, my difficulty is becoming more adventurous with colour and more free, I love your landscapes and both yourself and @gennepher have a freedom with colour I love :) it's one of the reasons I want to learn to do landscapes (we have a lot of landscape/seascape here :D).

speaking of which here is a bit of catch up art I intended to post yesterday

the first paints I had were a cheap box from ebay which were a 'stocking stuffer' at Christmas, then I found some ancient paints from my school days (a rather dried up box of Windsor and Newton gouache in tubes and a tiny sketching box of student watercolours with 12 unlabelled colours and an equally tiny brush). At this point I used a Christmas Amazon voucher to get some more paints (I've since learned this was a rookie mistake and I should have ordered some better paper ;))

number 1 is a small pic done with the new paints - Kuretaki Gansei Tambi - these are Japanese, come in a beautiful cardboard box and are sort of a vibrant hybrid between trad (transparent) watercolour and gouache (opaque).
View attachment 39922

no 2 is a dodgy landscape done with the W+N sketching box, on 100gsm A4 paper, it was much bluer/ greyer when I painted it (not better, just greyer :bag:) I didn't realise how much the blue in this set fades back into the paper when it dries. I include this as a point of reference so, hopefully, later painting will show an improvement :hilarious:
View attachment 39923

Your paintings are beautiful! Thank you for posting them. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Krystyna23040 I do hope not, need to keep busy and not give into it which would be very easy, lost yesterday afternoon so then get stressed about all that wasted time, vicious circle. :banghead:

Time is not wasted if it's spent dealing with pain.
I hope the pain won't take up any more of your time. BTDT.
Very gentle hug. :)

Reactions: True Blue

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good morning all :)

was 4.1 yesterday and 4.3 today

weekly shopping yesterday, we were out first thing and shopping as soon as the shops opened, it was pretty quiet but, of course, still a bit stressful, wipes hand sanitiser etc. to the fore and almost everybody we saw scuttling round to get done.
Asda have laid the store out in a one way aisle system, not everyone was complying yet but fortunately there weren't too many people so early here, there was a marshal at the door too because of the width of the main doors and lobby, not much of interesting job being a human traffic light perhaps (or is that hopefully?)

We had mum's list too and the only things we didn't manage to get were bread flour and yeast which mum wanted, fortunately she does have the makings for another loaf left though, (I forgot to put hand sanitiser on my list, but since there wasn't any available anyway ......:sorry:).

hope your day will be a kind and tranquil one :)

@Muddy Cyclist - I'm inclined to be a bit (too much :hilarious:) detail oriented so 'still life' is probably a result of that, my difficulty is becoming more adventurous with colour and more free, I love your landscapes and both yourself and @gennepher have a freedom with colour I love :) it's one of the reasons I want to learn to do landscapes (we have a lot of landscape/seascape here :D).

speaking of which here is a bit of catch up art I intended to post yesterday

the first paints I had were a cheap box from ebay which were a 'stocking stuffer' at Christmas, then I found some ancient paints from my school days (a rather dried up box of Windsor and Newton gouache in tubes and a tiny sketching box of student watercolours with 12 unlabelled colours and an equally tiny brush). At this point I used a Christmas Amazon voucher to get some more paints (I've since learned this was a rookie mistake and I should have ordered some better paper ;))

number 1 is a small pic done with the new paints - Kuretaki Gansei Tambi - these are Japanese, come in a beautiful cardboard box and are sort of a vibrant hybrid between trad (transparent) watercolour and gouache (opaque).
View attachment 39922

no 2 is a dodgy landscape done with the W+N sketching box, on 100gsm A4 paper, it was much bluer/ greyer when I painted it (not better, just greyer :bag:) I didn't realise how much the blue in this set fades back into the paper when it dries. I include this as a point of reference so, hopefully, later painting will show an improvement :hilarious:
View attachment 39923
These are brilliant @geefull
I love those Kuretake paints, I have some.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This week has raced. I didn't realise it was Thursday again.

So I had to prepare some art for my art group.

I wasn't feeling up to it because a vicious feral cat shot into the kitchen and attacked Popeye as I opened the door to take my recycle bags out for collection today. He is now injured again and was bleeding last night.

He is in my bed between the blankets and has no intention of coming out.

A second feral cat came and attacked the first, and then they went rolling down the hill locked in a horrendous screaming battle.

I have reported it.

This is my daily painting offering for today. A digital painting. (I was going to do a portrait but was unable to mentally complete it, so I used the sketch club app to create this)

I suggested to my art group that they could do a painting on their feelings this week.

IMG_02042020_142949_(1500_x_1500_pixel).jpg

Reactions: HarryBeau and Ryhia

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely @True Blue thank you for reminding me of this pieces.

One of my favourites and the first classical piece I learned on my guitar and sounds fantastic but actually very easy to play is a Romance in Major and Minor keys. Whilst I play it reasonably I'm nowhere near as good as this fellow, enjoy....

One of my favourites too. Who is he! Brilliant. Love the guitar.

Reactions: HarryBeau

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This week has raced. I didn't realise it was Thursday again.

So I had to prepare some art for my art group.

I wasn't feeling up to it because a vicious feral cat shot into the kitchen and attacked Popeye as I opened the door to take my recycle bags out for collection today. He is now injured again and was bleeding last night.

A second feral cat came and attacked the first, and then they went rolling down the hill locked in a horrendous screaming battle.

I have reported it.

This is my daily painting offering for today. A digital painting. (I was going to do a portrait but was unable to mentally complete it, so I used the sketch club app to create this)

I suggested to my art group that they could do a painting on their feelings this week.

View attachment 39932
Poor Popeye and on his own territory. Are you able to bathe the wound and is it somewhere he can get his tongue!
Thanks for the art to me its like a very pretty silk headscarf.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I have reported it.
Hugs for poor Popeye. So pleased you reported it.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely lunch, stir fried purple sprouting brocolli then added stilton cheese and as I continued to stir fry it melted all around the purple sprouting. Absolutely delicious.
Then I had some Montezuma's chocolate with orange oil.

Then a lovely walk on the deserted fen near our house. No police officers laying in waiting to catch me.

Got on well with lesson plan no. 5 and additional exercise sheets. Will complete it tomorrow.
Listened to a lovely Lesley Garret album and then every one of David Bowie's songs.. I wondered if bouncing around in time to the music on my computer chair and singing counted as exercise. Even if it isn't it is surprisingly relaxing.

Mr K will shortly start cooking a mixed grill for dinner.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm I have 2 words for you. :)

Cader Idris.

My mountain-climb of choice. Except that I can see a lovely mountain just out my window. Only right now it is 4 degrees out there, and probably even colder on the mountaintop.
The temperature will have a lot of climbing of its own to do if it's to reach its predicted 19 degrees by suppertime!

Yes, it’s a wonderful place. My Summer Mountain Leadership course was taken in wales with the final 48hr examination up on Cader Idris. My winter course and my Mountaineering Instructors Course took place in The Cairngorms.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Poor Popeye and on his own territory. Are you able to bathe the wound and is it somewhere he can get his tongue!
Thanks for the art to me its like a very pretty silk headscarf.
He had only just got his appetite full back from last time. Now off his food again, so tempting him to eat.The wound on the leg he can reach. But I have cleaned and treated that. But he cannot reach the one on the back of his neck, So I am cleaning that and treating that also.
Thank you.