What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My daily painting challenge painting for today is Procreate.
The problems is these kind of digital paintings me 3 to 4 hours. On the iPad. Some days I love doing it for this long. Other days, eg in this heat, I fall asleep doing them. The danger then is me or the cat accidentally deleting them, as I fall asleep holding the iPad. I am still holding it when I wake up...so far...

This one is similar to one I did earlier in the year but with real soft soft pastels on Ingres paper or card. I was trying to see if I could create something similar digitally. I didn't enjoy doing it as much. And didn't like it when I had finished. I had taken about 3 hours. (Cat woke me at 2 am, he was hungry, so bye bye sleep for me).

So I popped 3 silhouettes of birds on the sun. I think it looked better with that.

View attachment 43196
Looks very good with those three birds silhouetted in the sun. I have discovered that if I change the brush settings (stroke path etc) - then doing that on a duplicate copy that can then be deleted is the way to go

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all feeling hot, hot, hot. Fbg update from The Brecks today is 4.8 @5.20 ish rising to 5.3 @8.00. Eating something may help stop the rise but I don't need the cals and 1 bijou lc feedette and and a proper salad feed each day is quite enough hassle. I'll just use exercise when cooler again. Ear worms from nowhere yesterday - original Fleetwood Mac. Oh, well, Green Manalishi (with two prong crown) and Man of the world. No idea what that is all about but visited by 3 grandchildren if linked at all? Since I'm under orders to drink plenty to flush/test out the effects of Addenbrookes documentary on my plumbing more buckets of tea call - so much nicer than how I was being flushed out a year ago:woot::woot:. Toodle pip and watch out for that Albatross.

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looks very good with those three birds silhouetted in the sun. I have discovered that if I change the brush settings (stroke path etc) - then doing that on a duplicate copy that can then be deleted is the way to go

Thanks @dunelm
I haven’t tried anything like that yet...I do need to experiment a lot more with that.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I mentioned a lot about me bidding for postcards on eBay. I won my first 3 bids, simply by waiting last possible moment to bid. I appear to be bidding against the same person at the moment, last week and this week, and I won all my bids, bar the one that this person had bid against me (by bidding at very last moment and showing no interest at all before then on the item), bar the one where this same bidder had bid at the very last moment.

4th and 5th bid, I did bid on them but I had decided to let this person win those, and this person won won those two.

6th bid I really wanted. So I am waiting to near the end of the bidding. But life got in the way. My friend Whats Apped me and needed to talk (text) urgently about her dog with end of life cancer. She was in bits. So it was either abandon the bid on these postcards, or show my hand far too soon. I went for the latter option. So I placed a high bid. Then immediately doubled that as a reserve it could go up to. Then doubled it again. This was far far far too much money if I won. But it took less than a minute to do, then I concentrated on my friend.

A couple of hours later, I looked in eBay to see who had won the bid. Guess what, the other same person who is bidding against me on everything at the moment had won the bid. He had doubled my silly high price on this item. I have no idea of the last minute dynamics on this (that is half the fun in this bidding war), but this person probably thought I was still bidding live at the last few minutes on this one.

But when I checked the postcard seller, he had added some new items on to his site which was buy only (no bidding needed). And they were a ridiculously low price (the posting and packing costs 3 times the price of the postcards!). But I already had an agreement with the seller this week, that he would combine all my won bids and send them by carrier instead of Royal Mail, thus making the postage a bare fraction of what it could have been. I just have to wait an extra few days, that is all. So I contacted the seller again and asked if he could combine the postage of these new items with those I had already won/purchased this week. A reply came back immediately, yes he said. So I ordered. I now have a hundreds of new postcards of British scenery for a fraction of the price I would have paid for those 100 in that abortive bid yesterday.

An incredible win win situation for me. So, I didn't lose out yesterday!

So far in my bidding, I have spent far less than the full price postcards I was paying for pre coronavirus.

I intend doing Postcrossing for quite awhile yet,

Next week might be my last week to bid, and this guy is bidding against me today and next week. Then I stop, I only have so much space to store them. Also, these postcards for me, I have the possibility of selling them on eBay maybe when these appears to be a shortage of postcards here.

If not, then I can see this scenario on the reading of my will in the solicitor's office.
My children, "Where is our inheritance? Where is Mum's money?"
The solicitor. "To the eldest child, crates number 1 to 50 (in the garage) of postcards. To the middle child, the next set of 50 numbered crates of postcards. To the youngest child, the last set of 50 crates of postcards."

:)
Excellent - when will you be able to open trade on the stock market?

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a day of mixed messages and catching out the un-prepared in the dark and dangerous north.
The best of the day so far was between daybreak and 0700 - but now all clouding over and fewer centigrades wafting in the breeze. It may change - it may not.

The wonder wheel of chicken salad with some New Zealand bottled ‘water’ came in at 4.8 this am

I am not a scorchio person so arriving at the little house on the prairie yesterday meant all hands to the doors and windows, power up the fans, push up the sun shades and take to the showers. Happily, it is now quite cool, long may it last. I like to be able to add layers - not a fan of smothering perfectly good skin with lard and dancing in the sun.

Quick sketch this morning on the Zen Brush app - trying to get things down quickly on an arrangement inspired by Yat-Ming Cathy Ho.

Have a wonderful day, think of pets in the heat - dog paws get very sore on hot pavements - koffy time.

upload_2020-8-8_9-3-29.jpeg

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 this morning. Thank goodness it is slightly cooler today.

Even though cooler I think I will probably still be relaxing and reading for quite a large part of the day.

lindisfel

Expert
Here's one I did from a picture I took.
IMG_20200808_113847342_compress73.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200808_113847342_compress73.jpg
    939.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20200808_113847342_compress73.jpg
    939.2 KB · Views: 83

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from a day of mixed messages and catching out the un-prepared in the dark and dangerous north.
The best of the day so far was between daybreak and 0700 - but now all clouding over and fewer centigrades wafting in the breeze. It may change - it may not.

The wonder wheel of chicken salad with some New Zealand bottled ‘water’ came in at 4.8 this am

I am not a scorchio person so arriving at the little house on the prairie yesterday meant all hands to the doors and windows, power up the fans, push up the sun shades and take to the showers. Happily, it is now quite cool, long may it last. I like to be able to add layers - not a fan of smothering perfectly good skin with lard and dancing in the sun.

Quick sketch this morning on the Zen Brush app - trying to get things down quickly on an arrangement inspired by Yat-Ming Cathy Ho.

Have a wonderful day, think of pets in the heat - dog paws get very sore on hot pavements - koffy time.

View attachment 43199

A great bamboo sketch @dunelm

We had cloud first thing, now blue skies and scorching sun...

Swinging me and cat in the cooler (by not much) shade of my thatched swing, waiting for the breeze...

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good noontide all ;)

4.3 today

Fortunately only about 18'C here :)
been reorganising my workspace this morning (to an extent :hilarious:) so I can have a sort out of my art supplies :D
I'm rapidly coming to the realisation that art supplies are as addictive as any other craft stash :sorry:

Latest aquisition are some watercolour pencils to replace the duff ones I got rid of. I already have a small set of 12 'inktense' pencils but they don't really handle the same as watercolour, being ink they are not liftable once dried. I like them, they are very vibrant - but also expensive ;)

I know that @Muddy Cyclist uses Faber Castell polychromos but I haven't much experience using watercolour pencils yet so I decided to go for an intermediate level set and aquired some Arteza watercolour pencils. these will give me a chance to see how I get on with them.

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@lindisfel - I especially like the 'eyes', very effective :)

@dunelm - fluid drawing, I like the 'dry brush' effect on some of the stems and the lighter shades that give variety to the tonal level :joyful:

@gennepher - Popeye looks fairly 'chill' with his custom cooler :D
Blending seems to be smoother in the app than it would be with 'real' pastels and I agree that the birds have given your picture a strong focus, it very much speaks to me of the heat most of us are getting just at the moment ;)

art bit -
I agree with you @Muddy Cyclist I don't know whether yesterday's experiment is something I would incorporate with my usual style regularly

so I tried making more of a hybrid, and here it is ;)
upload_2020-8-8_12-31-47.jpeg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm rapidly coming to the realisation that art supplies are as addictive as any other craft stash :sorry:

I have been like this the last 40 years @geefull

@gennepher - Popeye looks fairly 'chill' with his custom cooler :D
Blending seems to be smoother in the app than it would be with 'real' pastels and I agree that the birds have given your picture a strong focus, it very much speaks to me of the heat most of us are getting just at the moment ;)

Thank you very much for the compliment :)

so I tried making more of a hybrid, and here it is ;)
upload_2020-8-8_12-31-47-jpeg.43203

Like this painting very much. A good effect with the pebbly beach, and the small foaming breaking waves against the pebbles.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today's artists......

@gennepher nice sunset and the birds flying home. I agree those birds gave it life and depth a good addition on your part.

@dunelm You are becoming the master of quick sketches on Zen Brush App, some very controlled finger/pen strokes on this evening lines, like it very much.

@lindisfel A great study of the Peacock Butterfly, very well observed.

@geefull the combination you have created works very well, another great experiment. However I still admire and prefer your own personal style.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today time took me down many unexpected paths.

Decided ,to sort all my FIL tools we took out of MILs bungalow, which in turn resulted in a shed tidy out, which was interrupted by my son dropping off our his two girls for 2 hours whilst he shod some horses, it was lovely to sit in the garden listening to their chatter, they never stopped. They poured out their problems, likes, dislikes, thoughts on gaining 3 stepbrothers through son's new partner, how they feel about their moms new partner, their new ponies, the haunted huge old farm their mom lives in, places they have been things they have done. Grandparents have such a part to play even if it's just to listen and of course we have been sworn to secretary, wonderful two hours.

So I have done some more on my Beech Tree Circle, painting outside but now I have come to another halt for G&T. So here it is, still on the fantasy side but going in the right direction. I feel I have the light source wrong but will see how it goes....
IMG_3621.JPG

Still lots to do but hope to get it finished Sunday.

Reactions: alf_Josiah

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today time took me down many unexpected paths.

Decided ,to sort all my FIL tools we took out of MILs bungalow, which in turn resulted in a shed tidy out, which was interrupted by my son dropping off our his two girls for 2 hours whilst he shod some horses, it was lovely to sit in the garden listening to their chatter, they never stopped. They poured out their problems, likes, dislikes, thoughts on gaining 3 stepbrothers through son's new partner, how they feel about their moms new partner, their new ponies, the haunted huge old farm their mom lives in, places they have been things they have done. Grandparents have such a part to play even if it's just to listen and of course we have been sworn to secretary, wonderful two hours.

So I have done some more on my Beech Tree Circle, painting outside but now I have come to another halt for G&T. So here it is, still on the fantasy side but going in the right direction. I feel I have the light source wrong but will see how it goes....
View attachment 43210
Still lots to do but hope to get it finished Sunday.

G&T sounds a brilliant idea @Muddy Cyclist

The best time to stop for!

I look forward to seeing the end painting.