What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Good morning folks. Just off for my early morning fasting blood test for lipids etc as the medical profession seem concerned about my cholesterol levels and I don't seem to tolerate any of the medications they've had me try. Having had nothing at all to eat since yesterday's tea I thought I'd test my fbs before setting out and 9.7! Why oh why?:banghead: At least I'm not at risk of a hypo before I return for breakfast. Enjoy your Friday and the week-end to follow. :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning folks. Just off for my early morning fasting blood test for lipids etc as the medical profession seem concerned about my cholesterol levels and I don't seem to tolerate any of the medications they've had me try. Having had nothing at all to eat since yesterday's tea I thought I'd test my fbs before setting out and 9.7! Why oh why?:banghead: At least I'm not at risk of a hypo before I return for breakfast. Enjoy your Friday and the week-end to follow. :)
Good to hear from you, shame about the stress before the test. I hope and pray all goes well and a solution can be found.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.5

Temp 36.1

I like my new hobby of bidding on eBay.
It is for postcards, for my Postcrossing. With not been able to travel the last few months I've not been able to go and find any postcards. You can buy new ones on Amazon in which case you might be paying eight or £10 for 40 to 50 postcards, which is very expensive especially with the postage abroad added on them.

On the bios recently, at least since Coronavirus, many postcrossers have asked for other postcrossers not to buy the ones from Amazon because everyone is getting them from there, and they are ending up with a lot of duplicates. so, this is obviously boring when you're receiving a lot of duplicates.

The past few weeks I have won every bid on the postcards on eBay. And as well as having completely different postcards many of my postcards have been no more than one penny each.

A lot of these postcards I am winning off eBay are from the 1950s onwards to about the year 2000.

Obviously I am going for the postcards that don't look dated (But vintage showing the old way of life in Britain are perfectly fine because postcrossers want those), and so postcards of landscapes, churches, cathedrals, castles, thatched cottages, and many coastal postcards (which don't show close up crowds of dated people) are absolutely perfect.

a lot of these postcards are from collections, I suppose house clearances, and the collections have ended up with the sellers of postcards.

Last week I ended up with a whole pile of absolutely spanking new postcards still in packs of 50 in sealed cellophane wrap from the printers or whoever. Over several bids I ended up with more than a thousand of those for less than one penny each. I also contacted the seller and did a deal with him, because I am buying from the same seller each time at the moment because he has given me very good deals, with postage. The postage and packing can come up to several times more than the actual bid for the postcards themselves. And so he saves all my bids for the week but I have one and instead of sending them by royal mail, he sends them by carrier. Okay I've got to wait maybe a week for them but that is neither here nor there.

I have never lost a bid yet, occasionally I bid again someone else but I have always won by waiting till last minute, and I'm putting a bid in in the last minute.

I won my bid on Wednesday. But yesterday Thursday I lost both my bids, and I am bidding against someone else. What!!!! I am now not winning!!!

I have to say I cannot understand why there are so many postcards so cheap and bulk buy. Then I got a message from a couple of my pen pals in the states who we do direct swaps with, And they are telling me they cannot get postcards for love or money in these coronavirus times. They tell me they were also bidding online for postcards and the supply has literally run out.

I already thought that this supply postcards appears to be bountiful on eBay but will not continue like this, and could run out anytime. I also realized that the postcard sellers are not selling any of their postcards in these Coronavirus times. And so holiday resorts, coastal towns, tourist centres have a glut of postcards they have been unable to sell.

Anyway me losing yesterday was a new experience for me! And I was pipped at the post very last second literally. It got down to 2 seconds 1 second and I am still the winning bid, then it got to 0 seconds, and the message came through saying you have lost somebody else has been higher than you. How close can you get to losing something!

Anyway, I laughed when I saw what the person had bid. This person had suddenly made a wild bid of more than three times my previous bid. What!?!

Anyway, I thought it was about time I read up on bidding on eBay. It turns out that waiting for the last few seconds, and showing no previous interest in the item, so the price doesn't creep up bit by bit with bidding against someone, is actually called 'bid sniping'. eBay says this is legal on their site (it never occurred to me it might not be legal). In addition, apparently there is some software you can put on your computer which will do this 'bid sniping' for you and it's configured to work with eBay servers, so that it has a direct connection in that last second to win the bid for someone who has this particular software.

Hmmm..

So then, I decided to check who was bidding against me. And I found out it's been the same person last week although I did it the last minute and I won. And Wednesday and Thursday I was bidding against the same person. I've only just found out you can find out not the actual id of the person but you know if you're bidding against the same person, because the beginning letter or number and the end letter and number, apart from the stars in the middle, tell you that it's probably the same person you're bidding against.

Then I find that the person I'm bidding against today for three items and tomorrow for five items is the same person. This person has already placed a bid the moment the item came out with the seller.

I have not shown any online interest on the items. And I will play the game of bidding in the last 60 seconds, and see how close I can get to 1second and still place and win a bid.

I also find that the exact items I want next week, and they're quite a few, the same person has already placed a bid and a reserve price that don't know exactly what the reserve price is yet. I know what my limit is on each item and my limit is nearest to the original bit price as possible.

This should prove very interesting.....

so I am busy busy now because I have to go and do some shopping, get back before bidding ends, and I will catch up with all your lovely posts later....

Exciting times... I will win against the guy even if this person has 'sniping bid' software...

Reactions: karen8967

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did a painting on Procreate for my daily painting challenge this morning. This took just over 2 hours. I must be influenced by @Muddy Cyclist 's trees!

Got to dash. Will catch up later today...

Just realised I have 6 items I can bid on this morning, just checked. And this same guy is bidding for each. I won't be greedy, I just intend winning 4 of them...

3F5C7EBA-3314-4D5C-AC5C-AEEB526527A5.jpeg

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that I am seeing a definite metabolic improvement. Dawn phenomenon is definitely no more. 4.7 first thing this morning. So before breakfast took dogs out for their walk before it got too hot. On return 4.5.

So my liver released just enough glucose for the walk rather than an uncontrolled flooding of my system with glucose that I used to get (I once recorded a 9.0 after doing a pre-breakfast dog walk).

I had noticed over the last couple of weeks that DP seemed to have gone and today was a good opportunity to really test my theory.

Improvements are happening at a snail's place - but they are still happening -:even after 4 years low carb/keto. I must admit that sometimes I do get despondent at the slow pace of improvements - so this has really made me happy this morning.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that I am seeing a definite metabolic improvement. Dawn phenomenon is definitely no more. 4.7 first thing this morning. So before breakfast took dogs out for their walk before it got too hot. On return 4.5.

So my liver released just enough glucose for the walk rather than an uncontrolled flooding of my system with glucose that I used to get (I once recorded a 9.0 after doing a pre-breakfast dog walk).

I had noticed over the last couple of weeks that DP seemed to have gone and today was a good opportunity to really test my theory.

Improvements are happening at a snail's place - but they are still happening -:even after 4 years low carb/keto. I must admit that sometimes I do get despondent at the slow pace of improvements - so this has really made me happy this morning.
Great news on the improvements. You really have nothing to be despondent about having gone from insulin to the amazing place you are now. I do understand the frustration believe me but you at least can point to success so relax, you are a shining example of a success story and an all round star lady.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. First out of the traps for me was a 4.9 - oh so meh. Yesterday went well from the result and comfortably numb angle - celebrated with tea:woot::woot:. Strange week as my Drs had given me some concerns over the pre test sample last Friday but by Wednesday rang to say oops, our bad, the lab says all good. Same day I was tripped by one of the pups and sustained grazing to head, arm and knee. - hence the curate's egg allusion. Just before leaving yesterday the en suite shower dribbled water through the ceiling:arghh: . Huge thanks for all the good wishes. 6 months before next one - time to sort out the house (because the only way out of it is to finish it) and try to turn this woe from being the problem (absolute pooh show in autumn and winter) into a solution/positive. Above all I need to be still for the presence of The Lord. Salmon and avo salad, sun and cricket today:woot::woot: - truly blessed today. Have a great day, if a tad scorchio hereabouts or thereabouts in your whereabouts.
Really good news on your results. It must have been really stressful when the lab made a mistake. Good that they admitted it.

Hope the pups apologised for tripping you up and hope the bumps and bruises are not too sore this morning.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news on the improvements. You really have nothing to be despondent about having gone from insulin to the amazing place you are now. I do understand the frustration believe me but you at least can point to success so relax, you are a shining example of a success story and an all round star lady.
Thank you. I must admit I do tend to forget about what i have achieved and focus on what I haven't achieved yet.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really good news on your results. It must have been really stressful when the lab made a mistake. Good that they admitted it.

Hope the pups apologised for tripping you up and hope the bumps and bruises are not too sore this morning.
Thanks. Initial test was a tad unsettling but if I'm honest less so than the problem/nightmare of dealing with my T2 by diet.:banghead: Grazes are fine and offending pup was a dream yesterday. Did I mention it is sunny, there is cricket, salmon avo salad today and hospital said be sure to drink plenty of tea today:woot::woot:?

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did a painting on Procreate for my daily painting challenge this morning. This took just over 2 hours. I must be influenced by @Muddy Cyclist 's trees!

Just realised I have 6 items I can bid on this morning, just checked. And this same guy is bidding for each. I won't be greedy, I just intend winning 4 of them...

View attachment 43167
Stunning Birch Trees - I am walking through them right now

Reactions: ianpspurs

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Good to hear from you, shame about the stress before the test. I hope and pray all goes well and a solution can be found.
Thank you@ianpspurs. Hope all is well with you too and that things continue to improve.:)

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
Just a few quick ideas for my daily art. Three very quick sketches of Beech Trees for the series. I want dark and mysterious but not in the fairy tale book illustrative sense which two of these seem to be. I will probably do the top left and the bottom a quick pencil and wash but in my usual style A4 watercolour . This will mean a lot of work on each so expect to see development over a couple of days.

View attachment 43146
I like Beech tree circles and so will probably start with the bottom sketch as a painting.
Definately, Mirkwood!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from another prospect of azure in the dark and dangerous north.

The wonder wheel of smashed avocado salad on a couple of slices of home made bread came in at 4.9 this am.

Granddaughter sitting again today (it’s every Thursday and Friday now, subject to change, terms and conditions apply, always read the small print and take into account the vagaries et al). We will deliver her back to her mum later today on our way to our little house on the prairie for a couple of days. I called in there yesterday for a decent koffy and to eat my packed lunch and noticed that a mobile wifi had taken up residence. Well it works so happy days - or not if you are one of those escapist types trying to get back to pre-raphaelite times and to study nature intensively.

A friend of mine who suffers from depression sent me a picture of a jade bowl mended with gold. In Japan, broken objects are often repaired with gold. The flay is seen as a unique piece of the objects history, which adds to it’s beauty.
So here is Kintsugi - golden joinery.

I know what you said that word is, but I tried google translate camera and it came up with 'gold' 'wire' 'money'!
Beautifully neat writing combined with cherry blossom!

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 43167
Went through here on my bike today as you can see from Bike Love photos.. great trees very well painted.

3 hour ride very hot so headed off heathland to woods and Forestry, very quiet, downside some very big hills in this area.
IMG_3619.JPG

Quiet bridleway leading to Sou street (South) which is in The west so no idea why. It's a wide Rough trail that must once have connected the Village of the Haywoods ocross to Cannock and possibly Lichfield.
IMG_3618.JPG

This is high above Abrahams Valley once in the valley which is a steep climb for about three miles it's all tree lined. I avoided some of the very technical wild trails in this area as I don't like tackling them when loan riding just in case.

Reactions: geefull

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't think I have lost the plot, this is just the start of my hill top Beech Circle in dark mood. These are layered base colours which I will work on to get away from the fantasy and hopefully turn into a moody landscape.
IMG_3614.JPG

@dunelm thanks for you interest in where my sketches were going to take me, I bet you were not expecting this, I know I certainly wasn't. :joyful:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All the best with your appointment, hope they manage to put together a successful plan and get you sorted.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please don't think I have lost the plot, this is just the start of my hill top Beech Circle in dark mood. These are layered base colours which I will work on to get away from the fantasy and hopefully turn into a moody landscape.
View attachment 43177
@dunelm thanks for you interest in where my sketches were going to take me, I bet you were not expecting this, I know I certainly wasn't. :joyful:
Currently this is looking very much like a silk painting @Muddy Cyclist