What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SilverK

I was prescribed Amitriptyline for my Fibromyalgia I seem to remember 10mg it knocked me out, I had brain fog, could not function, sat in a chair all day trying to stay conscious. After 3 days of this I stopped taking them and never did again they really were life stopping. I told a different doctor and he told me as hard as it seems Aerobic activity helps, for 5 years now that's how I control my Fibromyalgia pain and mind Fog, it works but is very hard to motivate oneself when feeling so rubbish.

My wife was also given Amitriptyline for Polymyalger, it did absolutely nothing for my wife, no effect whatsoever.

Do you know for what you have been given this drug?

Chronic pain. All my joints hurt and my skin feels like it’s on fire. Some days are good some are bad but everyday hurts. Been like it since a virus last summer but it got a lot worse in lockdown.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chronic pain. All my joints hurt and my skin feels like it’s on fire. Some days are good some are bad but everyday hurts. Been like it since a virus last summer but it got a lot worse in lockdown.
Pain is so deliberating I'm sorry you are having this. When my FM flares, probably twice a month I experience similar, I am fortunate that my Mountain Bike rides can quickly sort it, fortunate that I can do Aerobic activity and it works, it does not work for everyone. I hope the blood tests throw some light on what is causing your pain. Mrs MC had to go onto Steroids to make life reasonable, after a few years she managed to get down to 0.5mg a day but if she stops taking them the Polymialgia flares again. However steroids caused a whole host of other problems but at least she can function and still look after and ride her horse, bike and long walks.

Keep pestering your doctor.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Any one here got any experience of amitriptyline? Took it for the first time last night. Only a very low dose. It think it’s s’posed to take a little while to have any effect coz I can’t say it’s helping much yet. Sooooo tired today though. Is that normal? Sugars are up as the dietician is having me “experiment” with a very different insulin regime. I shouldn’t think that would be making me this tired, would it??
Hi @SilverK. I take Amitripyline . It was prescribed for my slipped disc. I used to take 2 tablets at night time to help me through the night. It did help with the pain and I have now cut down to only one/ night. When I took them at bedtime I was zombie-like until lunchtime the next day so I now take them about 8pm and I no longer have the drowsiness the next day. Hope that helps. best wishes.

Reactions: dunelm

SilverK

Hi @SilverK. I take Amitripyline . It was prescribed for my slipped disc. I used to take 2 tablets at night time to help me through the night. It did help with the pain and I have now cut down to only one/ night. When I took them at bedtime I was zombie-like until lunchtime the next day so I now take them about 8pm and I no longer have the drowsiness the next day. Hope that helps. best wishes.

Zombie-like! That’s exactly it. I’ll try taking it earlier, thank you. - it’s not doing much for the pain yet. Given up on sleeping tonight for now. Done the ironing, folded laundry and cleaned the kitchen (the cleaner comes on Wednesdays so I clean on Tuesdays . )

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
FBG 5.7 best result for a while despite having a re-baked potato and several squares of chocolate last night.
Maybe the recent higher readings have been at least partly down to stress. Quarantine has not been easy with my consistent failure to manage internet shopping leading to some rather strange meals.
I do now have an invitation to shop online at Morrison's, with a 24 hour delivery guaranteed, but they don't give the nutritional content on the website, so it's useless and anyway I needed it five days ago when we were out of bread, milk, fresh veg, cat litter and cheese.
I can do my own shopping now and probably not at Morrison's.

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finished yesterday's watercolour of Sherbrook Valley Stepping Stones. Still not how I would like to paint them but better than others I have done. Splash, flick and splodge painting the masters would turn in their graves. Still here it is Watercolour A4 about 90 minutes....
View attachment 45290
Gentle and welcoming with Misty Autumn colours @Muddy Cyclist

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good evening all :)

@gennepher - I like today's painting, lovely warm autumn colours and a pleasing composition. I can see the hedgepig too ;)

art bit -

seems like art materials are as addictive as any other craft material. I've ordered a palette of paints from Koh I Noor just for fun thinking they may do me for plein air ink and wash sketching, not sure whether they are lightfast etc. but they are compact and were pretty cheap ;)

plus I ordered another couple of brushes, (liner/riggers).

anyway - just a few autumn leaves today :)

View attachment 45293

Thank you @geefull

The Koh I Noor paints in a circular stack is what I have. They were useful to take to Art group so I wasn't lugging a huge bag all the time full of stuff!

I love these leaves. I see them illustrating the edges of a personal diary for the month of November....

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any one here got any experience of amitriptyline? Took it for the first time last night. Only a very low dose. It think it’s s’posed to take a little while to have any effect coz I can’t say it’s helping much yet. Sooooo tired today though. Is that normal? Sugars are up as the dietician is having me “experiment” with a very different insulin regime. I shouldn’t think that would be making me this tired, would it??

I have Amitriptyline @SilverK

I was prescribed it for Fibromyalgia in 2006. I had quite a high dose. It worked for me.
I took it at night. It also helped my restless legs and 'burning' toes. And more too.

Then a GP doctor around 2010 decided it was responsible for my dry mouth (it wasn't, I have Sjögren's Syndrome, and that was diagnosed by Liverpool Royal hospital and Dental Hospital in 1990's with severe dry mouth), and my GP wouldn't give the Amitriptyline back to me.

So then I had to look for a more 'natural'/other medicines. I found 5htp at Holland&Barratt. It worked. Expensive, but it worked. BUT a few years later they changed the composition of the tablets, and it didn't work any more for me.

Then, around 2018 I saw the podiatrist and explained about my 'burning' toes etc. She's said I needed Amitriptyline (which is what I'd had originally in 2006 prescribed for Fibromyalgia, and it had been brilliant, and in 2006 I had been given several different dosage amitriptyline tablets and told to experiment to find the dosage that was good for me), and the 2018 podiatrist recommended to my GP that I be given Amitriptyline. But the GP would only give me the lowest possible dosage, which was absolutely no use at all to me. But knowing what I had been allowed to take in 2006, I then saved up my tablets to a 'useful' dose for me, and I will take that before bedtime on one of those nights where my toes are giving me so much grief that I could bash the wall with my toes.

I have other strategies I use on other nights, but I save the Amitriptyline for nights when I could quite happily agree to an amputation of my toes.

I would never take Amitriptyline in the daytime, because it does make me sleepy and relaxed immediately. But at bedtime works well for me.

Anyone I have spoken to, who has been prescribed Amitriptyline has not found that it works in any way at all for them. But maybe the dosage was wrong?

I hope this is of some help to you.

Reactions: SilverK

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.7 FBG and 2.1 ketones despite having a homemade beef curry :)

It's been a couple of weeks now of fasting and then IF and I must say I feel very well in myself. My SpO2 levels are up on averages to 96 and resting heart rate is down in the high 70s for the first time in a long time. So I will continue as long as I can even though I can hear the call of wagtail crumpet ;)

Enjoy the day

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.8 ➡️
@ianpspurs I am a Bisto instant gravy person on occasion when the need arises and I just enter it up in MyFitnessPal (usually 75-100ml made up) and I just take the hit.

If I know I am going to have a slightly more carby dinner I really try and have as low carb a day to that point and generally try and come in under 100g a day if not under 80g and as you know over the past few years I have had quite a bit of flak for how I have brought my numbers down from diagnosis.

Then again I have relatives who boast they have “reversed” their T2 only for them to still have to revert to Metformin etc when their BG rises.

I think now they have quietened down and they literally just take their tabs and eat the same stuff they used to.

Each to their own! Waiting for lodger to get up so I can clump about in the loft room above doing my physio rehab and then 30 mins on the spin bike and then a lot to crack on with in the arduous task of doing a commentary test reel and sorting out my radio clips to make a general showreel ...

Might even go back to doing some French a little later.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.4

My painting for today.
In ZenBrush2
For the last half hour I have been doing this silhouette of Popeye as he shifted round and round clockwise, sleeping on my bed in front of me. So the silhouette kept shifting. It was like a relaxing meditation to do this, no thought as I was doing it, empty mind, just looking at his shape and rise and fall of his breathing. It is now 7am, and I have to be gone soon...so another coffee and clothes to find....

72F7956F-B4F0-47A8-81A2-8BD9F6F92F9B.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Here goes. Martinmas today so Goose will be eaten this very day. Current youngest granddaughter here all day so Moana but I thought I would go a tad more classical with y'all . @Alien Aspie the fasting has worked amazingly for you, I'm so pleased on your behalf. @SilverK Julie took Amitriptyline, no side effects. In fact no effect at all Tramadol and Gabapentin have a minor effect on her back pain. Hug for you and anyone in constant pain. @RFSMarch hope lodger bestirs in a timely manner. I think the gravy hit is probably the answer mediated by a glass of decent wine and exercise but IMHO "proper cooked" is where LC and me part company. Have a great day everyone.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the fasting has worked amazingly for you, I'm so pleased on your behalf.

Thank you, it's an interesting journey.

I have to walk a 2-mile loop to the chemist and back later today so it will be interesting to see my times. Pre-covid I could do it in 40 mins avg but after having covid the last attempt was double that. I shall see if the increased oxygen saturation and lower resting heart rate affects the time taken.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a cold and gentle breezy morning in the dark and dangerous north

The wonder wheel of a thick chicken and veg slow cooker stew came in at 5.3 this am

More smashing artwork to greet my morning, @Muddy Cyclist - the splodge and splatter worked out well and I hope that you are now happy with a misty rendition of the place. @gennepher - cool cat - reminds me of Craven A and Black Cat cigarettes. @geefull - well you have leaves cracked that’s for sure - smashing.

It’s Remembrance Day today so Mrs Miggins and I will be wandering down to the local cenotaph and to plant a couple of crosses in the memorial garden across the road from it.

Spent some time yesterday with some of the many brushes that I received from my mother - unfortunately they are all labeled in Chinese so unsure what bristles are made of and have to go by feel - some are very soft, some quite hard.
Anyhow, a few sketches on lining paper.
Hope everyone manages to have a decent day. My foot and ankle is almost there but I can walk it off I think - will see. Koffy time.

upload_2020-11-11_7-56-12.jpeg

upload_2020-11-11_7-55-49.jpeg

upload_2020-11-11_7-55-31.jpeg

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen.

Today is 11th of the 11th and today I shall wear my poppy in remembrance of those that gave their lives that I may choose to wear a poppy.

Straight 7 this morning.

lindisfel

Expert
Have a good day everyone.

Just to lighten your day, can you artists answer a question please?

Why are Spanish restorers making a habit with laughable restorations of works of religious art?