What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, that's a colourful illustration for a children's book, love it. Sorry about nightmare but good result for the art. Glad you told us it was from a nightmare or we might have thought it might be a combination of any drugs, even a 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds' moment. :)
My imagination does just fine on its own @Muddy Cyclist

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
“ I ate biscuits yesterday” - a great first sentence for a book. Reminds me of that first line in A Christmas Carol - “Marley was dead, to begin with.”
Big hug for the incident of the croc in the nighttime but what a great result in art form, so vivid, when can we have the three blind mice?

:happy:

Three Blind Mice....I shall have to see...

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No pressure on me then! I agree it is a very acquired taste neat. Any suggestions on how to alleviate the hideous taste of Montezumas - as hot chocolate with some SF syrup maybe?
Unfortunately no suggestions as I love the bitter taste of Montezuma chocolate but it does sound as though making hot chocolate with it and SF syrup just might work.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great list of foods you now enjoy and your whole journey from being on insulin to where you are today is amazing and shows how this woe can work. One of my targets/performance objectives is to affirm those who are part of Unwin's (David not Stanley) 45-50%. You are in the top tier of those.
Thank you.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are so lucky to be able to have the occasional indulgence with only a rise in blood sugars.

If I indulged in anything that contains wheat or sugar I am very quickly rewarded with severe acid reflux - which sometimes is accompanied by vomiting. Then I have to endure a sleepless night of severe acid reflux.

It sort of puts you off indulging. It is almost as though my body is conspiring against me. I never get acid reflex at any other time and this never happened to me before I went low carb and cut out wheat and sugar. It is a real puzzle why it happens now.

Still there is no need to feel too sorry for me as I do enjoy a lot of foods that were not allowed on my previous low fat high carb diet. Cream in my coffee, mushrooms filled with melted stilton cheese, veggies cooked in butter, avocados, lots of different nuts and seeds, full fat Greek Yogurt etc. etc. The list is endless. One of the highlights is no more cottage cheese - ever again.
You are so lucky to be able to have the occasional indulgence with only a rise in blood sugars.

If I indulged in anything that contains wheat or sugar I am very quickly rewarded with severe acid reflux - which sometimes is accompanied by vomiting. Then I have to endure a sleepless night of severe acid reflux.

It sort of puts you off indulging. It is almost as though my body is conspiring against me. I never get acid reflex at any other time and this never happened to me before I went low carb and cut out wheat and sugar. It is a real puzzle why it happens now.

Still there is no need to feel too sorry for me as I do enjoy a lot of foods that were not allowed on my previous low fat high carb diet. Cream in my coffee, mushrooms filled with melted stilton cheese, veggies cooked in butter, avocados, lots of different nuts and seeds, full fat Greek Yogurt etc. etc. The list is endless. One of the highlights is no more cottage cheese - ever again.
A hug for the acid reflux I too get that sometimes and a winner star for finding and enjoying foods that are good for you :)

lindisfel

Expert
IMG_20201219_115547108_compress57.jpg
IMG_20201219_115530574_compress56.jpg

The wild men in skirts and we mild manned English meet in harmony!
:);) D.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.8 fbs. I ate really late last night which always gives higher numbers.

It looks like we may have sunshine today. Am mulling over whether it will be better to stay on Zoom after Christmas because cases are rocketing in Norfolk and I am pretty sure we will move into tier 3 mid January.

I think judging by the pics of the london diaspora..tier 4 is everybody's next stop.

"Pass tier 3, do not collect £200", I think it goes on the board game.

Zoom zoom zoom into the new year, and beyond .....(Buzz light-year.. allegedly.)

Reactions: mojo37

lindisfel

Expert
I think judging by the pics of the london diaspora..tier 4 is everybody's next stop.

"Pass tier 3, do not collect £200", I think it goes on the board game.

Zoom zoom zoom into the new year, and beyond .....(Buzz light-year.. allegedly.)
Humour is the only way to deal with it on the day to day level.
D.

Reactions: HarryBeau

lindisfel

Expert
Too much cloud developing in the west to see the great conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn.
I suppose if I miss it this time, I will see the next one in 800 years time! :)
D.

Reactions: True Blue

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today's Advent poem is Oh Clavis by Malcolm Guite himself - another one based on the O Antiphon. Guite feels he has written a sonnet which helps explain his experience of derpession. I know some here experience depression so perhaps this will help somewhat. As a bonus there is some original music. I hope you find it helpful or thought provoking in a good way.

Reactions: jjraak

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well we went, 2 hours carolling outside, felt safe distance wise I stood by Kath well away from other singers and so Soprano and Bass were added, just 12 singers in total and a small audience gathered all social distanced, so fingers crossed.

On getting home, whilst looking for some port, I discovered 2 litres of unopened Sloe Gin we made 5 years ago, Mrs MC was unsure about it, I volunteered to test it, very good. :)

So sorry no art although I have added more pages to my illustrated story for my granddaughter.

Reactions: mojo37

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all.
Being a bit of a geek and also a bit bored, I took myself and 8 x 40 binoculars to the darkening local beach at 1630 hrs and stayed for an hour.
There it was, shining brightly in the South West, 15 degrees above the horizon.
The conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn. Much brighter than any other star, in a temporary position.
Skilled astronomers have tracked back in time, to find that a similar event occurred, visible from the Holy Land, in year 2BC.
Listen to the Psalmist: "I lift up my eyes to the mountains ......"

Last edited:

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

4.8 today

along with many others I've indulged myself today ;) my particular vice was testing the truffles I was trying to make for after Christmas dinner. I had spotted a silicon heart shaped sweetie mould tray in the charity shop so I thought I'd have a go :)
The filling is a mixture of a small amount of christmas pudding whizzed up and mixed with rum, melted 95% dark chocolate and double cream sweetened a bit with some truvia and I lined the moulds with dark chocolate marbled with a tiny bit of ordinary white chocolate then filled them. A bit fiddly but they look posh and the filling is :joyful: :D

We don't go to stage 4 lockdown until Boxing Day so in theory we should be alright for shopping until then (if there is any stock left :sorry: ) got most things already though thankfully :)

I'm a bit worried about this week though, the minister of the church almost opposite our home died last Thursday and his funeral will be on Christmas Eve, because he'd been moderator of the assembly there will probably be some 'incomers' from other areas. Normally the whole village would attend but presumably not at this time.

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@dunelm - creative use of paper, I like your tree :) and that park activity may be as social as we get for the next few weeks. I concur about the need to ensure continuity of the coffee supply ;)

@Muddy Cyclist - and the dilemmas ramp up again, I'm glad you managed to get your carolling in whilst feeling secure, I used to love doing charity carol concerts and visits :sorry:

@gennepher - well done you for 'turning' your dream and using it creatively in your artwork today. I like the colours in the background effect and that colour really offsets the 'gore' and makes it 'pop' :joyful:

Art bit - I do admire people who can turn the usual 'cool colours recede' advice on it's head and make it work. This is my version based on an image I saw on the net.

upload_2020-12-20_21-34-49.jpeg

Reactions: karen8967

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

4.8 today

along with many others I've indulged myself today ;) my particular vice was testing the truffles I was trying to make for after Christmas dinner. I had spotted a silicon heart shaped sweetie mould tray in the charity shop so I thought I'd have a go :)
The filling is a mixture of a small amount of christmas pudding whizzed up and mixed with rum, melted 95% dark chocolate and double cream sweetened a bit with some truvia and I lined the moulds with dark chocolate marbled with a tiny bit of ordinary white chocolate then filled them. A bit fiddly but they look posh and the filling is :joyful: :D

We don't go to stage 4 lockdown until Boxing Day so in theory we should be alright for shopping until then (if there is any stock left :sorry: ) got most things already though thankfully :)

I'm a bit worried about this week though, the minister of the church almost opposite our home died last Thursday and his funeral will be on Christmas Eve, because he'd been moderator of the assembly there will probably be some 'incomers' from other areas. Normally the whole village would attend but presumably not at this time.

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@dunelm - creative use of paper, I like your tree :) and that park activity may be as social as we get for the next few weeks. I concur about the need to ensure continuity of the coffee supply ;)

@Muddy Cyclist - and the dilemmas ramp up again, I'm glad you managed to get your carolling in whilst feeling secure, I used to love doing charity carol concerts and visits :sorry:

@gennepher - well done you for 'turning' your dream and using it creatively in your artwork today. I like the colours in the background effect and that colour really offsets the 'gore' and makes it 'pop' :joyful:

Art bit - I do admire people who can turn the usual 'cool colours recede' advice on it's head and make it work. This is my version based on an image I saw on the net.

View attachment 46368
Reversing the 'cool colours recede ' advice really works in your picture. I really love it.

Your truffles sound lovely. I am not surprised that you indulged yourself today.