What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen, lesser spotted key stealing frogs omitted from this greeting.

A 5.8 this morning on that scheming meter of mystery and misbehaving.

A very frosty start to the day here in Tilehurst Towers, it must have been something I said or didn’t say, I suppose I should listen to what is being said or asked. Life is a mystery.

Now have a great day, remember the stay's , me and me's will be in the shed / workshop most of the day.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could you let Popeye know that even under intense questioning all Archie would say was 'no comment '.
t0408.gif

t09114.gif

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I gave a winner for the care and concern you show to your friends and the birds. Lovely story and insight into your life with J from the fairies story. The art clearly has a message and art in general is obviously so important to you in managing life's problems. Who am I to offer my thoughts but take care with how much of other people's worries you take on board. Quite hard to tow others to calmer waters when you have run of fuel yourself.
Thank you @ianpspurs
I am learning how to make sure I get my me time, and not feel guilty any more.
I need my daily art. It is very important to me and how I deal with life...
Take care.

Reactions: jjraak

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Jabbed up...

Arm getting a little sore already and tingling, which is interesting...not bad at all though.

Also some interesting news from work.

Call took place this morning. "So, you've done a great job and I think promotion to Group VP is well deserved. Congratulations. Wondered - your diabetes diagnosis, how's that going to effect your ability to travel down through SE Asia and elsewhere on business where remote interaction doesn't work" ?

Well. I'm thinking how to respond to this ...

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jabbed up...

Arm getting a little sore already and tingling, which is interesting...not bad at all though.

Also some interesting news from work.

Call took place this morning. "So, you've done a great job and I think promotion to Group VP is well deserved. Congratulations. Wondered - your diabetes diagnosis, how's that going to effect your ability to travel down through SE Asia and elsewhere on business where remote interaction doesn't work" ?

Well. I'm thinking how to respond to this ...

It sounds like you will possibly need to go back to/carry on with your plan, which you have already outlined on here (if I am remembering correctly), of getting off the Metformin (I think you said), and becoming drug free (I know there are pros and cons to every course of action), and then you can explain to your bosses that you have gone into remission or whatever...and there is no problems with your diabetes diagnosis and travelling in SE Asia. Or something like this...

There may be the problem of what foods you can eat in a strange place @BRSBRI

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
It sounds like you will possibly need to go back to/carry on with your plan, which you have already outlined on here (if I am remembering correctly), of getting off the Metformin (I think you said), and becoming drug free (I know there are pros and cons to every course of action), and then you can explain to your bosses that you have gone into remission or whatever...and there is no problems with your diabetes diagnosis and travelling in SE Asia. Or something like this...

There may be the problem of what foods you can eat in a strange place @BRSBRI
Thanks @gennepher I have indeed mentioned this - was taken aback by the comments of my current boss who'll become a peer next month as I move sideways and up a notch.

I've been in China many times and other such places - this time it'll just mean thinking ahead! You can never go wrong with eggs and beef ;)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm I've been doing some more digging into that link you posted. There is no "tell" on the internet so I can't be 100% sure you weren't gently pulling my pud. You definitely have that in you Old Bean. I've come across Marty Kendall's ideas and suggestions before. I like the focus on nutrition compared to eating LC or to my meter/sensor. However, there is an underlying assumption that I'm a chemical in a test tube with no personal taste/food preferences. Once I move beyond leafy green veg and salad things become challenging. I never worked out how to make a stir fry palatable and LC so I gave up on that. To this day I can't make a Sunday roast straddle that line. I can do without the potatoes, Yorkshire etc and pudding/dessert has never been my thing. I can no longer even pretend to enjoy meat without gravy. Any LC versions I find turn me off instantly. Several strong men would need to hold me down and force feed me meat or veg with butter on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunelm and jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A good afternoon to all.

Still circling at 7.000 fbg feet, air is slightly turbulent, but views are wonderful

The pilot and stewardesses at the hospital airport, did say it might be a bumpy ride.

I was bowling along well last week, all in line for my marathon next month (;))
when this weeks/weekend got a tad rougher.

Could be i did too much walking.
Out with daughter at Richmond park, OH the FRESH and FREEDOM.

I'm Splendid on level ground, so it may have been the undulation of the grass, mmmhh

also began my physio exercises.

did suggest at last appointment , my ankles felt 'warm' like i'd rubbed some heat cream on them,
Doc said it's the nerve ending getting agitated again.

My Guess it's a combo, but more so the exercises.

Not awful omg pain :woot:, more the moral sapping nagging pain/discomfort, of something stopping you moving forward at the stellar pace one had unrealistically expected.:sorry:

we will prevail.

On a brighter note, one exercise was a familiar one to many.
standing on one leg. Surprising how much goes into to such a simple task.

Now do it with your eyes closed is supposed to bear some relation to your 'Age'

previously, is was fine at this, now unsurprisingly, I'm not

Left leg, still ex-commonwealth record holder,
Righty, sadly has lost it's marbles and can't remember basic training..DoH
so not too good.

but as said the bright spot, i leaned a new word.
( to me anyway, smarty pants;).)

proprioception

Basically, i struggle to place my foot at certain points
(one exercise is an imaginary clock face, i should touch each number on clock face according to side of leg)

Weird how that simple task has to be re-learned

other then that all is well.

In other news , Missus now had her jab Pfizer.
50 something...(you never heard THAT from ME..sshhhh )
essential worker, unregistered carer for father.

jab jabbed, far away, mind.
no issues , no side effects...happy she had it, as am i.

(still disappointed, no sign of 2nd head, suppose it's for the best,
No twin headed crash helmets on eBay anywhere...can't be any demand..sad :sorry: )

Have a good day, as ya can.
this one's a one day only special..:)

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
#2 Nice link, @dunelm ..
took a lot from that.

Pre T2D i was nodding as docs/authorities spoke about food.

Now i've gone down so many rabbit holes i suspect Nutrition could give the MATRIX a run for it's money.

Your link does sit well with how i see/saw the food evolution of what we now eat.

while "we as a species ate grains etc for hundred years ago, so it can't be the grain that causes obesity/metabolic disorder/etc"
#1 rebuttal of low carbs (Kramer V Kramer 2018 Custody of our diets)

it really doesn't seem to be the same grain, if it's fed chemically, watered differently & altered genetically

Now all that grain is used in other foods, so maybe it alters them as well.?

but the premise, is carbs are good because we ate the same ones in forever.
to me says "we did.....

..Until the 70's 80's..when we decided the 10 food companies knew best,
and let them change the make up of so many foods.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apologies had to delete first of my food post,
forum wouldn't let me edit/alter errors.

Have reposted above, so day is saved. Yay

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
@dunelm I've been doing some more digging into that link you posted. There is no "tell" on the internet so I can't be 100% sure you weren't gently pulling my pud. You definitely have that in you Old Bean. I've come across Marty Kendall's ideas and suggestions before. I like the focus on nutrition compared to eating LC or to my meter/sensor. However, there is an underlying assumption that I'm a chemical in a test tube with no personal taste/food preferences. Once I move beyond leafy green veg and salad things become challenging. I never worked out how to make a stir fry palatable and LC so I gave up on that. To this day I can't make a Sunday roast straddle that line. I can do without the potatoes, Yorkshire etc and pudding/dessert has never been my thing. I can no longer even pretend to enjoy meat without gravy. Any LC versions I find turn me off instantly. Several strong men would need to hold me down and force feed me meat or veg with butter on them.
Oh I dont know Ian, I like three eggs scrambled with cheddar cheese and butter.
There is good evidence to support us eating more protein per kg of body weight!
I agree with the need for more potassium.
D.

Last edited:

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
Hello everyone:- update on Astra Zeneca jab aftermath.

Haven't felt very hungry, have a stinking headache and a bit of an upset tummy.

Not eaten anything since breakfast, but blood sugars have gone up to 7.9 at 1245 but now at 6.1 - or more or less where I was when I woke up.

Taking the rest of the afternoon off work...

Hopefully this is the worst of it!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.7

I didn't get enough sleep. I was turning my devices off for the night at 7pm. I wanted an early night. But a text came through from a friend whose cancer has returned. She's been free a few years now after battling for years. But lockdown has taken its toll with her, and she managed to break a leg walking up her stairs at Xmas, plus a few similar disasters, so her spirits are low. So, I didn't get to sleep early, and still woke up at 3am, as I usually do. But as my cancer friend and I were texting, another friend on another chat app came on and she urgently wanted to talk. Checked how important it was, then told her I was texting my cancer friend, and I will talk to her later today. I have turned off all my chat app alerts from her to off for a number of hours. I need some sanity...

Birds in my back garden.
Mrs Blackbird was pouting at me yesterday morning. I took a photo of her. She was about just over a metre away. She took the hump, gave up on dangerous fly pasts in front of my face. and gathered up leaves and stuff for her nest building and went the back way into the clematis where I 'couldn't see' her entering the leaves.
Now I can sit in the garden without the danger of Mrs Blackbird colliding with my face. She is taking it out on the smaller birds though and trying to make their life a misery. But they don't care, they keep bouncing back where she doesn't want them.

This morning I have a pair of pied wagtails, a pair of robins, a pair of sparrows, a pair of dunnocks, a pair of finches, a pair of longtailedtits, a pair of bluetits and more of that family, and more birds. No others pairs of blackbirds though. Usually I have around 3 pairs of blackbirds in my back garden. But her Mr Blackbird looks a meany too. He has just scattered the sparrows who were having a bath in my bird bath, and claimed it for himself. Mrs Blackbird came along to find out what the fuss was about, and sent Mr Blackbird packing to do something useful. And now she is having a bath...

My cherry trees are full of a whole pile of starlings all neatly lined up on the branches. Then the lone straggler (spellcheck changed this to 'strangler'???) came along and pushed a space into an already crowded overloaded cherry branch...and the whole lot came tumbling down...

Now it is a pair of magpies dancing between the cherry tree branches...very soon a pair of ravens will come along and send them packing. There is nothing larger than the ravens at this point of time...

And I have been doing my digital painting while watching this lot. I have quite a few garden ornaments. Many years ago when J was alive, he would put fairies in my garden, especially when I had been away a few days. And I would look at the garden and think, there's something different. I would go out, and find a fairy hiding in the ivy, or a new hanging fairy bird birth. There was nothing colourful, usually just the darkish grey fairy ornaments you see in garden centres or Past Times (does that shop still exist? I will have to google later....) . I always got fairies for my birthday and Christmas as well. It was J's last Christmas present to me. Anyway this fairy is a bronze-ish colour. She lies on a sundial, fast sleep. It sits on my wooden bench. So, I decided to wake her up, and give her a pair of wide-open eyes...

Ah the robins are back, clearing up the insects under my wooden thatched swing...

Have a good day...

View attachment 47780
A wonderful bird tale - lucky to have so much variety and an interesting fairy garden. This is a super piece of art and so personal - send it to Greyson Perry :angelic::)

lindisfel

Expert
Hello everyone:- update on Astra Zeneca jab aftermath.

Haven't felt very hungry, have a stinking headache and a bit of an upset tummy.

Not eaten anything since breakfast, but blood sugars have gone up to 7.9 at 1245 but now at 6.1 - or more or less where I was when I woke up.

Taking the rest of the afternoon off work...

Hopefully this is the worst of it!
Its the Oxford jab, one of our neighbours was ill all weekend but just think what you would be like with Covid 19?
I hardly knew I had had the fizzer, but it was Christmas Eve next day and I was thinking about Santa coming. :)
D.