What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

4.7 today

Apologies, suffering from a bit of burn out I think :(

I will have to try to book a blood test for my annual review shortly, not looking forward to it for some reason

Seeing the progress towards Spring and more 'normal' life is great but I'm ashamed to say that it seems to have aroused a weird childish streak in me the last couple of days. I want it 'NOW' how silly is that, I'm usually so rational.

No hugs required, I'll be fine, it just took me by suprise :)

We managed to get some garden tidying done at mum's yesterday, finished chopping at her frost damaged hedge and a couple of bushes and had a bonfire to get rid of the bits, which felt like progress :)

Now to go back through the posts I've missed and catch up. So glad to be part of this community :joyful:

art bit -
I need to do the next batch of scanning - this is one of those paintings inspired by Adrienne Pavelka

View attachment 47764
I do like the way that you have tackled the sea - very effective

Reactions: jjraak

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies to my question @dunelm @alf_Josiah @RFSMarch AKA Rozzington Bear @lindisfel and @BRSBRI. - so far. I haven't had a test or review since December 2019 so I'm not clear where I am officially as of now. Six years worth of tests qualify me as non D/in R. I see that as LC just doing what it says on the tin. I'm grateful for being one of the fortunate ones who arrived there within 3 months, almost 6 years ago. Despite that, I have never been convinced I know the baseline "rules" concerning these labels. DNs always seemed way too vague and gushing about things. I'm concerned about the long term impact on my overall health of this focus on BG levels.

Here is an interesting read for you, I don’t think it will be up there for too long.
https://optimisingnutrition.com/ket...name=Id&utm_source=Actionetics&utm_term=Email

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.3 this morning. Relaxing before the dog walk. Good news yesterday about the effectiveness of the Covid vaccines.

Yesterday spent loads of time on the admin without achieving a lot. Time seemed to fly by.

One of us has mislaid the back door key after our morning dog walk. I know that Mr K was the one who opened the door. Mr K is equally certain that it was me. Key still missing.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Morning one and all. FBG was 6.2 this morning. A breakfast of diabetic friendly bircher muesli, berries followed by some ham, decaf black coffee fortifying me.

Just about to jump into Susie Stinger for the drive to my covid vaccination appointment outside the city at the racecourse.

Will report back how it went...I hear it's all very efficient...

Have a super Tuesday!

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all
Swipey came in at 4.4 ➡️ this morning (Japanese Okonomiyaki pancakes using 60g of Spelt flour, shredded cabbage and bacon)
A couple of compression lows over night but I can live with those as I thrash about a lot in the night.

Slightly later start to the work out as tennis thankfully starts a bit later. And for once I actually managed to remember to take soup out of the freezer (Thai Sweet Potato & Courgette)... I need to whizz up a new batch of that and maybe some tomato soup over the weekend I think.

lindisfel

Expert
Cold and frosty here this morning. I think I need to light the multifuel stove again now the temperature looks like being down for a few days.
Its cold in the night when one has frequent trip to the loo.

I shall have to hide away or do some outside work whilst the better half joins her Tai chi group on Zoom this am.

Looking forward to getting my second Pfizer on 10th and hoping it will combat any new variant that has got out of our Pandora's box that is the current version of our sieve like border controls.
Still waiting patiently for my diabetes interview after bloods almost two weeks ago.

Have a good day all.
D.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Arthur gets chicken too, don't be concerned
emoji6.png
Archie and Poppy have asked if they can have some too.

Reactions: BRSBRI

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning everyone from a dull and fabulously quiet start here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of roasted cod with asparagus and a poached egg came in at 4.6 this am

Bit of a damp squib yesterday, a remake of that boring old black and white talkie from Ingmar Bergman “The Day of the Procrastinator”. Never mind, I did manage to get an arbitrary 10 000 steps in without even leaving the house. Next door neighbour threw her keys in the dog poo bin when out walking her dogs (I have no other information and it was current at the time of telling) so I let her through into the garden and to climb over the wall - luckily her back door was open and her keys were on the kitchen table - “it’s a miracle.”

A doggy doodle today - I painted another fish but wasn’t happy with the outcome. Hope everyone is enjoying the right of spring - ballet boots at the ready. Time for koffy.

upload_2021-3-2_7-31-24.jpeg

Reactions: karen8967

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.3 this morning. Relaxing before the dog walk. Good news yesterday about the effectiveness of the Covid vaccines.

Yesterday spent loads of time on the admin without achieving a lot. Time seemed to fly by.

One of us has mislaid the back door key after our morning dog walk. I know that Mr K was the one who opened the door. Mr K is equally certain that it was me. Key still missing.
Oh dear!
Mislaid keys @Krystyna23040

Popeye asks if a certain dog has taken up retrieving...

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

What’s going on in the land of keys?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning from a chilly but dry and clear Breckland. Swipey was 4.2 when I first checked. That seems about as good a tune as I can play there. Thanks for the link @dunelm. Very information dense and hard to translate from nutrient speak to actual foods but I'll work on that one. Great fbg @RFSMarch and a very useful idea about LC burnout. Thanks also @jjraak . I actually don't know where I am on this journey except that I really don't want to stay in this place long. Definitely different from where I started but I wouldn't bet on it being better. Plenty of work to do and much taking heed of the Serenity Prayer. Pip Pip old Toots.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.7

I didn't get enough sleep. I was turning my devices off for the night at 7pm. I wanted an early night. But a text came through from a friend whose cancer has returned. She's been free a few years now after battling for years. But lockdown has taken its toll with her, and she managed to break a leg walking up her stairs at Xmas, plus a few similar disasters, so her spirits are low. So, I didn't get to sleep early, and still woke up at 3am, as I usually do. But as my cancer friend and I were texting, another friend on another chat app came on and she urgently wanted to talk. Checked how important it was, then told her I was texting my cancer friend, and I will talk to her later today. I have turned off all my chat app alerts from her to off for a number of hours. I need some sanity...

Birds in my back garden.
Mrs Blackbird was pouting at me yesterday morning. I took a photo of her. She was about just over a metre away. She took the hump, gave up on dangerous fly pasts in front of my face. and gathered up leaves and stuff for her nest building and went the back way into the clematis where I 'couldn't see' her entering the leaves.
Now I can sit in the garden without the danger of Mrs Blackbird colliding with my face. She is taking it out on the smaller birds though and trying to make their life a misery. But they don't care, they keep bouncing back where she doesn't want them.

This morning I have a pair of pied wagtails, a pair of robins, a pair of sparrows, a pair of dunnocks, a pair of finches, a pair of longtailedtits, a pair of bluetits and more of that family, and more birds. No others pairs of blackbirds though. Usually I have around 3 pairs of blackbirds in my back garden. But her Mr Blackbird looks a meany too. He has just scattered the sparrows who were having a bath in my bird bath, and claimed it for himself. Mrs Blackbird came along to find out what the fuss was about, and sent Mr Blackbird packing to do something useful. And now she is having a bath...

My cherry trees are full of a whole pile of starlings all neatly lined up on the branches. Then the lone straggler (spellcheck changed this to 'strangler'???) came along and pushed a space into an already crowded overloaded cherry branch...and the whole lot came tumbling down...

Now it is a pair of magpies dancing between the cherry tree branches...very soon a pair of ravens will come along and send them packing. There is nothing larger than the ravens at this point of time...

And I have been doing my digital painting while watching this lot. I have quite a few garden ornaments. Many years ago when J was alive, he would put fairies in my garden, especially when I had been away a few days. And I would look at the garden and think, there's something different. I would go out, and find a fairy hiding in the ivy, or a new hanging fairy bird birth. There was nothing colourful, usually just the darkish grey fairy ornaments you see in garden centres or Past Times (does that shop still exist? I will have to google later....) . I always got fairies for my birthday and Christmas as well. It was J's last Christmas present to me. Anyway this fairy is a bronze-ish colour. She lies on a sundial, fast sleep. It sits on my wooden bench. So, I decided to wake her up, and give her a pair of wide-open eyes...

Ah the robins are back, clearing up the insects under my wooden thatched swing...

Have a good day...

66613511-6A05-4C9B-AF45-1C6EBD3D0385.jpeg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good morning everyone from a dull and fabulously quiet start here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of roasted cod with asparagus and a poached egg came in at 4.6 this am

Bit of a damp squib yesterday, a remake of that boring old black and white talkie from Ingmar Bergman “The Day of the Procrastinator”. Never mind, I did manage to get an arbitrary 10 000 steps in without even leaving the house. Next door neighbour threw her keys in the dog poo bin when out walking her dogs (I have no other information and it was current at the time of telling) so I let her through into the garden and to climb over the wall - luckily her back door was open and her keys were on the kitchen table - “it’s a miracle.”

A doggy doodle today - I painted another fish but wasn’t happy with the outcome. Hope everyone is enjoying the right of spring - ballet boots at the ready. Time for koffy.

View attachment 47779
I think it must be annual celebration of lose your keys week @dunelm
How many different ways can you lose your keys...
An inventive one there...

I see your swimming doggy with a bunch of keys in this mouth....let's drop them in the deepest part of this pond, he is thinking...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.7

I didn't get enough sleep. I was turning my devices off for the night at 7pm. I wanted an early night. But a text came through from a friend whose cancer has returned. She's been free a few years now after battling for years. But lockdown has taken its toll with her, and she managed to break a leg walking up her stairs at Xmas, plus a few similar disasters, so her spirits are low. So, I didn't get to sleep early, and still woke up at 3am, as I usually do. But as my cancer friend and I were texting, another friend on another chat app came on and she urgently wanted to talk. Checked how important it was, then told her I was texting my cancer friend, and I will talk to her later today. I have turned off all my chat app alerts from her to off for a number of hours. I need some sanity...

Birds in my back garden.
Mrs Blackbird was pouting at me yesterday morning. I took a photo of her. She was about just over a metre away. She took the hump, gave up on dangerous fly pasts in front of my face. and gathered up leaves and stuff for her nest building and went the back way into the clematis where I 'couldn't see' her entering the leaves.
Now I can sit in the garden without the danger of Mrs Blackbird colliding with my face. She is taking it out on the smaller birds though and trying to make their life a misery. But they don't care, they keep bouncing back where she doesn't want them.

This morning I have a pair of pied wagtails, a pair of robins, a pair of sparrows, a pair of dunnocks, a pair of finches, a pair of longtailedtits, a pair of bluetits and more of that family, and more birds. No others pairs of blackbirds though. Usually I have around 3 pairs of blackbirds in my back garden. But her Mr Blackbird looks a meany too. He has just scattered the sparrows who were having a bath in my bird bath, and claimed it for himself. Mrs Blackbird came along to find out what the fuss was about, and sent Mr Blackbird packing to do something useful. And now she is having a bath...

My cherry trees are full of a whole pile of starlings all neatly lined up on the branches. Then the lone straggler (spellcheck changed this to 'strangler'???) came along and pushed a space into an already crowded overloaded cherry branch...and the whole lot came tumbling down...

Now it is a pair of magpies dancing between the cherry tree branches...very soon a pair of ravens will come along and send them packing. There is nothing larger than the ravens at this point of time...

And I have been doing my digital painting while watching this lot. I have quite a few garden ornaments. Many years ago when J was alive, he would put fairies in my garden, especially when I had been away a few days. And I would look at the garden and think, there's something different. I would go out, and find a fairy hiding in the ivy, or a new hanging fairy bird birth. There was nothing colourful, usually just the darkish grey fairy ornaments you see in garden centres or Past Times (does that shop still exist? I will have to google later....) . I always got fairies for my birthday and Christmas as well. It was J's last Christmas present to me. Anyway this fairy is a bronze-ish colour. She lies on a sundial, fast sleep. It sits on my wooden bench. So, I decided to wake her up, and give her a pair of wide-open eyes...

Ah the robins are back, clearing up the insects under my wooden thatched swing...

Have a good day...

View attachment 47780
I gave a winner for the care and concern you show to your friends and the birds. Lovely story and insight into your life with J from the fairies story. The art clearly has a message and art in general is obviously so important to you in managing life's problems. Who am I to offer my thoughts but take care with how much of other people's worries you take on board. Quite hard to tow others to calmer waters when you have run of fuel yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunelm and BRSBRI

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Recovered...a question many ask.

I say no.
Could you go back to eating what you did for a decade or so ... nope

But would you be DX'D as T2D, if your HBA1c was 40 or below. No.

So remission. Mmh
Probably

Like Cancer in remission, not discernible, but perhaps worth continuing what ever changes / non invasive therapies you've been doing

As for THE numbers.

Personally we are all so different, even in this small segment of the forum, that nailing down a suitable score for each of us, would be taxing.

A younger me might see a lifetime of LCHF as worthwhile.
An older me might think, meh...ain't killed me yet.

This me...?
Settles for doing as much as possible, without destroying my sanity, with a forensic examination of every item of food & morning, pre & post prandial.

Others as said take other routes, are they wrong, no.
Their just not me, at this moment in my life,
And nor am I them.

I likened the management of this disease in my head, as a Journey,
Working out the most feasible route to where I want to be.

Sometimes that roads hard, occasionally easy,
But day by day we journey onwards.

So I say try to be happy with what you do,
or find an alternative,

None of this is issue free.

Seems a sensible answer.
Yes, I agree with everything you have written in.your post. A really good way of looking at this issue and maybe a way of managing T2D without risking the burnout that @RFSMarch mentioned.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
I'm now a member of the Covid vaccination first jab club...an Astra Zeneca variety for me. Second jab booked week 1 May.

Sitting down after the actual event and will be driving back home in Susie Stinger soon...

I'm pleased to report I haven't lost those keys yet ;)