What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...good news & bad news this weekend...I didn't go an collect the chair yesterday it was such a lovely day I couldn't bear to spend any of it on the motorway (again)...the good news all my paperwork/invoices are done & 'plumpy' and me are off to London to deliver it...he is front seat as usual when we get into traffic he loves to stare out the windows at unsuspecting drivers...that does make me laugh...woke to a 6.3

He is definitely a front seat boy

View attachment 34184

He looks as if he would like to be in the driver's seat! Just waiting for you to hand him the keys. Handsome boy. :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.8
Who knows why ....:rolleyes:

Enjoying my food, but when shopping yesterday realised I've not had an avocado in ages... Along with a few other dishes from my early days as Type 2.

Time to recheck my diet and takes some of it back to basics...I recognise it's a getting very 'samey'.

In that vein, Surprise on holiday, was we had moussaka..
( Last day blow out, gorgeous restaurant, 5 star service....mmhh yum yum. Take me back, please..:arghh:)

Not a dish I really enjoyed before DX, and one I avoided after..
but spotted one in Tesco that promises 4g per 100.... So going to treat myself to that tonight, and check religiously after...
Here's hoping it's all good in da hood..:D

Best wishes @DJC3 for Thursday :)

Thanks for the good wishes.
Re moussaka I’ve made this one before and it went down very well. Not a traditional recipe in that the aubergines are diced and added to the mince ( and I used lamb not chicken) but still tasty.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-moussaka

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LC the first 4 years
The data: Started 8/7/2015 with A1c of 7.6 and weighing 90.7 kgs (had already dropped nearly 6 kgs from June 2015). First reading (fbg) was 7.1. Followed DCUK recipes and by December A1c was 5.8 and weight was 76.6 kgs. June 2019 A1c was 5.7 and weight was 73.4 kgs. Testing and beautiful conditional formatted spreadsheet big help.
The plus points : Weight loss most obvious then A1c under diabetic level at all reviews. Initial background retinopathy gone for past 3 years. Don't need medication ( I have gone without and no difference) but I take metformin by choice
The negatives: I now view all food and drink as hazardous - have become a food avoider wherever possible. Learning I could food fast for at least 2 days was a mistake. Going sub 75 kgs I no longer feel nourished - the first 2-3 years I was clearly using the buffer from the old country. The fat/cals part of LC is the one I don't much like.
Overall: Obviously grateful for no diabetic complications and staying in non diabetic range. Not a net negative yet but no longer the obvious positive of 18 months ago. Lots of finger pricking and waste plastic so will ultimately switch to cgm.
If this is unhelpful please ignore or tell me to delete. The aim was to give people new to this a warts and all idea of a non success story.

I found it helpful. Thank you for posting it.
thumbupleft.gif

Reactions: gennepher and Viv19

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not good for me these numbers. 7.9 last night and 7 this morning. Still I slept better last night.
I need to pad my shoe and try to walk. No exercise is so bad for me.
OH is out walking the dog- that was what I wanted to be doing.
View attachment 34182
She’s 8, so middle aged and a little grey. Very kind and well behaved. I think we’ll enjoy the 4 months she spends with us.

She is a beautiful lady.

Viv19

Thanks for the good wishes.
Re moussaka I’ve made this one before and it went down very well. Not a traditional recipe in that the aubergines are diced and added to the mince ( and I used lamb not chicken) but still tasty.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-moussaka

Thanks DJC3. I’ve put it onto CMT.
Is the aubergine very noticeable in the meat mix? I like it but OH is no aubergine fan. But otherwise perhaps this recipe could be made for one and the rest frozen.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He looks as if he would like to be in the driver's seat! Just waiting for you to hand him the keys. Handsome boy. :)
If he could he would Saskia...although he does love to spend time staring at the other drivers...he almost swopped numbers with a white van man on the way there ;)

Reactions: gennepher and Viv19

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It would make my day to be stopped at lights next to you and see Plumpy staring in at me. I bet he raises a lot of smiles.
He'd love that DJC...he's such a friendly boy loves attention just a great big softie...I will be thinking about you and your daughter this week...I hope all goes well with the scans on Wednesday & Thursday no doubt you're both anxious to get them out of the way...the waiting is an anxious time so hopefully speedy results...fingers crossed from me 'Plumpy' & Churchill

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
great photo of Harry in the passenger seat, like “whats keeping her now” expression lol. Has the captain chair bitten the dust? It sounded rather nice but I guess another one wil come along.
He's always like that you have to go nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww… no haven't lost the chair I will collect it this weekend just felt so relaxed on Sunday wanted to stay at home & potter in the garden...it is a lovely old chair already paid for & the seller was very accommodating

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So basically after the initial positive wright loss and welcome low bg readings, you now prefer to avoid eating if you can?
Why do you choose to take Metformin if you don’t actually need it?
That’s not a non success story Ianpspurs. Look what you’ve achieved in reducing your levels to a non diabetic range. Retinopathy is ok now too. You’re amazing- you just have to realise that.
From my reading Metformin seems to be beneficial for cardio vascular, kidney and ageing processes and I don't have any adverse reactions so while Drs continue to prescribe I see no reason to stop. I agree I'm doing OK but I honestly don't think the place I am currently at is optimal. Thanks though.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks DJC3. I’ve put it onto CMT.
Is the aubergine very noticeable in the meat mix? I like it but OH is no aubergine fan. But otherwise perhaps this recipe could be made for one and the rest frozen.

while your answering that one. @DJC..dumb question maybe, but do you think i could use philadelphia as the cream cheese..?
going to have to try making that, gets great reviews.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just thinking on, re @ianpspurs LCHF update post.

I do wonder, if as much as we aren't supposed to be so high in our blood sugar levels, due to complications, that there maybe danger, in trying to drive ourselves too low as well, as that way may lie other perils.
Perhaps staying inside the normal range, offers a happy medium.?
In essence that is where I am at but I would ideally like to be further inside normal with no change to lipids - June 2016 basically.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bubbsie It would make my day to be stopped at lights next to you and see Plumpy staring in at me. I bet he raises a lot of smiles.
Many thanks to all who have sent good wishes for Thurs - I’m sure Ill go in about it a lot more before then and maybe afterwards so thanks for your patience!
@PenguinMum yes - daughter Wed ( at GP surgery down the road from her in Greater London) and Me Thurs.
@Freema good luck with your mega task packing your life up.
@Viv19 what a lovely view!
@ianpspurs I found your post both interesting and helpful but would certainly not call it a ‘non success story’. Physically and medically you are a success, it seems to me you just need to address your mental attitude to food. Could you maybe look for some outside help there?
Thanks but you know we fundamentally disagree about the success. The food avoidance is largely because so much of the non veg/salad element of this woe is just wasted cals and carbs to me. I just don't see any value in e.g. rolitos or pork scratchings as we have both seen people eat as a lunch. I'm far better having a huge cup of tea and moving on. Why eat something just because it is LC when I don't like it or can react badly (gout) when eaten?. Best wishes to you and your daughter hope all goes well.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
LC the first 4 years
The data: Started 8/7/2015 with A1c of 7.6 and weighing 90.7 kgs (had already dropped nearly 6 kgs from June 2015). First reading (fbg) was 7.1. Followed DCUK recipes and by December A1c was 5.8 and weight was 76.6 kgs. June 2019 A1c was 5.7 and weight was 73.4 kgs. Testing and beautiful conditional formatted spreadsheet big help.
The plus points : Weight loss most obvious then A1c under diabetic level at all reviews. Initial background retinopathy gone for past 3 years. Don't need medication ( I have gone without and no difference) but I take metformin by choice
The negatives: I now view all food and drink as hazardous - have become a food avoider wherever possible. Learning I could food fast for at least 2 days was a mistake. Going sub 75 kgs I no longer feel nourished - the first 2-3 years I was clearly using the buffer from the old country. The fat/cals part of LC is the one I don't much like.
Overall: Obviously grateful for no diabetic complications and staying in non diabetic range. Not a net negative yet but no longer the obvious positive of 18 months ago. Lots of finger pricking and waste plastic so will ultimately switch to cgm.
If this is unhelpful please ignore or tell me to delete. The aim was to give people new to this a warts and all idea of a non success story.

Hi @ianpspurs. Thanks for sharing.
The data and plus points point to an extremely good outcome as far as diabetes control are concerned.
I wonder what is causing you to now be a food avoider. Do you think that you may have over-conditioned yourself?
Would it be of use to try playing about with this: https://nutrientoptimiser.com/

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ianpspurs. Thanks for sharing.
The data and plus points point to an extremely good outcome as far as diabetes control are concerned.
I wonder what is causing you to now be a food avoider. Do you think that you may have over-conditioned yourself?
Would it be of use to try playing about with this: https://nutrientoptimiser.com/
Thanks @dunelm and I will give that a go. I spend time each day planning my menus with an app called chronometer which is quite thorough - but looking elsewhere can do no harm. The food avoidance in my mind comes down to asking myself will I enjoy these carbs and cals or can I find better options that I enjoy if I wait or think harder? Replacing breakfast, stopping faffing about with bulletproof this and that, giving up trying to bake LC and using wine to lower postprandial readings are far better options IMHO than when I started.
ETA: It doesn't like my email address - not unique enough for it. ( Replacing should be ignoring/ skipping)

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @dunelm and I will give that a go. I spend time each day planning my menus with an app called chronometer which is quite thorough - but looking elsewhere can do no harm. The food avoidance in my mind comes down to asking myself will I enjoy these carbs and cals or can I find better options that I enjoy if I wait or think harder? Replacing breakfast, stopping faffing about with bulletproof this and that, giving up trying to bake LC and using wine to lower postprandial readings are far better options IMHO than when I started.
ETA: It doesn't like my email address - not unique enough for it

Oh dear, that’s not good about your email address.
I agree with you about the bulletproof monk stuff - why? It just ruins the koffy.

The thing is compatible with chronometer, so it says.

My current list of suggested food products, some of which I have ignored - there are nutrients also looks like this:

meat
  1. lamb (lean)
  2. veal
  3. veal loin
  4. chicken breast
  5. sirloin steak (lean)
  6. ground beef (lean)
  7. roast ham
fish
  1. fish roe
  2. caviar
  3. oysters
  4. crab
  5. mollusks conch
  6. sturgeon
vegetables
  1. endive
  2. chicory greens
  3. coriander
  4. escarole
  5. spinach
  6. watercress
  7. beet greens
  8. chard
  9. asparagus
  10. Rocket
dairy & eggs
  1. egg yolk
  2. whole egg
  3. kefir (low fat)
  4. milk (full fat)
  5. mozzarella (non fat)
fruit
  1. rhubarb
  2. blackberries
  3. avocado
nuts & seeds
  1. sunflower seeds
  2. almonds
  3. almond butter
  4. hazelnuts
  5. sesame butter
fats & oils
  1. cod liver oil
  2. hazelnut oil
  3. mayonnaise

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That would be fun..but the KC would have to come too!

Yes please. :) ^. .^
And while there we would have to go check out Blandford Forum.

And Liverpool ...

And Rye Harbour ...

You might get out of doing any housework altogether. ;)

Reactions: Viv19