1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HarrisonK, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Bildad

Bildad Type 2 · Well-Known Member

4.3 for me this morning. Trip to doctors was interesting. She treated it as a medication review.
    Changed my statin (which I am no longer taking but haven't yet told them) cos the original was old fashioned.
    Diabetes meds were referred to the practice nurse to be halved
    Migraine meds to be reviewed after having a CT scan!! Not sure why after 30+ years of migraine she thinks that I need a CT scan I have no idea. She will offer preventative meds after seeing the CT results.
    I was congratulated on weight loss and BG control and asked how. She was amazed at my response of Low carb.
    Dr " what just cutting out carbs?"
    Me "Yes"
    Dr "you should write a book "
    Me " I would be a bit late to the party on that one. It has already been done many times. Check out diabetes.co.uk"
    I am now awaiting the unnecessary CT scan before I can get my new meds and also a call from practice nurse to halve the diabetes meds. So as with all things diabetes related it is a waiting game.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  2. dunelm

dunelm Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I put a “winner” but then need a “funny” or perhaps a “bewildered” for the GP.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Morning All. After praising Codefree after my latest A1c I have typically been smacked in the face this morning. New tub first reading 7.5 no way after 5.3 before dinner then spinach omelette lots of water. Did it again 6.7. Third time 7.2. Unfortunately new tub but not new batch. So I am passing on my FBG today. Just dont believe any of it.
    @Bildad sounds like a thorough consult with the GP but really even if you only read the news you cant have missed low carb! Good luck with the CT hope its soon.
    @DJC3 gosh you really have a week of it, hope today goes well have a nice time with Dennis. @Viv19 sorry the toe is still troublesome and what a story about the new car. Hope today you get the one you should!
    Have a good Tuesday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

• Hug Hug x 6
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Up early , but a late start today.
    Early night last night, but a restless sleep, lots going on in my head at minute.
    Fbg...6.2

Test normally first thing, but today I had to run put bins out, as I skipped it last night.

Got myself new gadget toy.. tracker
    that covers HR & BP. Steps etc

Seems as accurate as the Mi-fit, (which didn't do BP)
    Sits on wrist obviously, so not as accurate as a cuff, but does give me a trend to keep track of.

Slight change of topic...
    I've noticed I don't always get the notifications that others have replied to this or other threads.

Have 'unwatched' then "watched" thread again, see if that fixes things.

@Bildad agree with @dunelm , and shame we just can't be honest with those supposed to be helping us...(I'm the same with mine, little white lies, perhaps.. but still lies :rolleyes:)

@Viv19 ....enjoy your 'New Car' Day...:)

Hope all your numbers improve, if there not where you'd like them to be.
    Wishing you all a great day.

EDIT: @PenguinMum ...OUCH..not a nice thing to wake to first thing, what a shock for you.

Anyone else reports Dodgy code free steps... Do remember a rogue batch around January being discussed.?

Hope you get resolution real soon. X

Love & peace all.

• Like Like x 9
    #5144 jjraak, Jul 9, 2019 at 8:27 AM
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  5. pavlosn

pavlosn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you recall I had an extensive (and expensive) series of lab tests on my blood and urine last week.

I am terrible at having to wait. I am definitely a worrier and do not like having things "hanging over me". Particularly so as some of the things that were testing for are scary staff: hepatitis, upus, HIV etc. It matters little that logically the chances of me having contracted these illnesses are pretty slim. Slim is not the same as zero and I needed to find out as soon as possible.

So having slept little last night i turned up at the lab first thing this morning, apprehensive but wanting the suspense over.

From what I can make out blood results are the usual mixed bag with some indicators out of normal range. My doctor will have to interpret these later.

But I did know enough to understand that I had a negative result for the nasty viral/autoimmune conditions they were testing.

Now I can wait for the rest of the results to come out next week.

HbA1c confirmed at 5,7% (39 mmol/mol) unsurprisingly (as previous test was only a couple of weeks ago) but this is really not my major concern at the moment

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. alf_Josiah

alf_Josiah Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Morening, no time again. 5.8 this morning, sad day yesterday I sold my motorbike yesterday and this morning blood tests and the first of my generations funeral. Must dash.

• Hug Hug x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  7. jjraak

Sat to hear about the bike @alf_Josiah .
    Condolences for the lots of a friend too.

Sadly in the same zone as you.
    Not so much friend, but contemporaries, colleagues.
    Does give you a nasty jolt that the length of all our journeys isn't set in stone.

All we can do is make the most of our time,
    and enjoy our moment in the sunshine.

Best wishes for a good day today.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. HarrisonK

HarrisonK Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A late start to the day, 5.7 on the scale. Cloudy and cool so an extended walk is in order, enjoy the day :)

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
  9. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

@PenguinMum shock to start the day but come next tests all will be good. @Bildad great outcome with GP and hopefully some relief from migraines at the end of that process. @Viv19 exciting day with the new car. @pavlosn good news on tests if no auto immune conditions - if lupus was one of them being tested for it is very unpleasant. @DJC3 a very testing week but by the end of it you should be thoroughly reassured. My fbg was 5.1 safe but uninspiring. It is a week since I was last about right so lots of grass cutting undone and missed exercise. Pacing my comeback will be very tricky but I'll start with useless old git swimming lessons today. Have a great day.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Hug Hug x 1
  10. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That always reminds me of me and OH learning to swim when we first became parents. OH achieved 5 metre certificate which tbh he just had to kick off the wall. He stopped there. In my class I was so scared I disrupted everyone (unintentionally) and was asked to leave so still unable to swim! The good news is both boys are able to swim!
    Enjoy your class Ian.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 2
  11. jjraak

Pictures @PenguinMum running along pool edge diving bombing everyone in pool, before being sent to the naughty step ...:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

6.1 this morning. No idea why as I had just done an 18hr fast. Have 2 days off work to get all the admin done then off to London on Thursday to do a course - or off on a 'jolly' as my husband calls it.

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  13. Cumberland

Cumberland Type 1 · Master

8.8 that’s ok

Have a good day

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 5
  14. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Thought it was just me, I dont seem to get them all either!

Your previous purchase of smart scales looked good enough to copy. I did. Amazing. We love it! Less than £30 from Amazon.

Would love more info on your latest fitness tracker as we need to monitor hubby's BP

• Like Like x 6
  15. Debandez

Thinking of you Alf

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Debandez

5.8 today. Up til about 2am putting together a leaflet for diabetics and anyone just wanting to lose weight. Working with my surgery on this and would like it sorting for next week when I'm attending a big PPG networking meeting. Can pass to unsuspecting victims of other PPGs and CCG members. But I found it hard. Dont want to tread on any toes which is practically impossible when I'm advocating lchf! Will see where it goes. The bin probably!!! Have included my journey to remission, normalising my BP and 4 stone weight loss. Low carb food list. Meal suggestions (my weekly choices basically) Dr Unwins visual guide to sugars in common foods.

Today's agenda = stripping walls. Almost done. Then jet washing paving stones. Doesnt get any more exciting than that!!!

Almost hump day (already looking forward to weekend and it's only Tuesday!!!)

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  17. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@jjraak
    I have found the same with notifications on this and threads I follow.
    I did what you did, unwatch and watch again but made no difference...
    Also I put the person’s name in my reply now in the hopes that will help notifications?
    I end up trawling through all the posts to check....

>^..^<

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Perhaps I shouldn’t laugh as you were scared, but the thought of you being asked to leave the swimming class is impossible to resist. Glad the boys can swim though. I think swimming is definitely easiest to learn when young.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well done Debs. What stamina! You’re brilliant.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  20. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Titter ye not madam.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook