What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Viv19

From my reading Metformin seems to be beneficial for cardio vascular, kidney and ageing processes and I don't have any adverse reactions so while Drs continue to prescribe I see no reason to stop. I agree I'm doing OK but I honestly don't think the place I am currently at is optimal. Thanks though.

Maybe not optimal but you’re doing good Mr ianpspurs!

Viv19

Oh dear, that’s not good about your email address.
I agree with you about the bulletproof monk stuff - why? It just ruins the koffy.

The thing is compatible with chronometer, so it says.

My current list of suggested food products, some of which I have ignored - there are nutrients also looks like this:

meat
  1. lamb (lean)
  2. veal
  3. veal loin
  4. chicken breast
  5. sirloin steak (lean)
  6. ground beef (lean)
  7. roast ham
fish
  1. fish roe
  2. caviar
  3. oysters
  4. crab
  5. mollusks conch
  6. sturgeon
vegetables
  1. endive
  2. chicory greens
  3. coriander
  4. escarole
  5. spinach
  6. watercress
  7. beet greens
  8. chard
  9. asparagus
  10. Rocket
dairy & eggs
  1. egg yolk
  2. whole egg
  3. kefir (low fat)
  4. milk (full fat)
  5. mozzarella (non fat)
fruit
  1. rhubarb
  2. blackberries
  3. avocado
nuts & seeds
  1. sunflower seeds
  2. almonds
  3. almond butter
  4. hazelnuts
  5. sesame butter
fats & oils
  1. cod liver oil
  2. hazelnut oil
  3. mayonnaise

Dunelm, that list is so boring!! Half of it I wouldn’t eat. Though I was amazed to see coriander, which I love, on it so I looked it up. The list of nutrients in it is amazing. But I’ve only seen it on sale here a few times - the locals don’t like it. I tried to grow some and it bolted almost immediately!
And cod liver oil?? Where’s the olive oil - and blueberries and raspberries?

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dunelm, that list is so boring!! Half of it I wouldn’t eat. Though I was amazed to see coriander, which I love, on it so I looked it up. The list of nutrients in it is amazing. But I’ve only seen it on sale here a few times - the locals don’t like it. I tried to grow some and it bolted almost immediately!
And cod liver oil?? Where’s the olive oil - and blueberries and raspberries?

The list is based upon my weight, height, age, BMI and importantly what I want it for and my own limits on protein, fats and carbs. Another person and differing requirements would result in a different list.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks DJC3. I’ve put it onto CMT.
Is the aubergine very noticeable in the meat mix? I like it but OH is no aubergine fan. But otherwise perhaps this recipe could be made for one and the rest frozen.

The aubergine sort of melts in. I did this recipe for precisely that reason - it’s barely noticeable. Daughter’s partner also hates aubergine but wasn’t even aware of it. Chopping into dice rather than having a layer of it makes it sort of invisible.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
while your answering that one. @DJC..dumb question maybe, but do you think i could use philadelphia as the cream cheese..?
going to have to try making that, gets great reviews.

Yes, it’s what I usually use but all the supermarkets do their own brand too. Hope you like it.

Reactions: Viv19 and HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The aubergine sort of melts in. I did this recipe for precisely that reason - it’s barely noticeable. Daughter’s partner also hates aubergine but wasn’t even aware of it. Chopping into dice rather than having a layer of it makes it sort of invisible.

Could the aubergine be added last and all down at one end like anchovies on a pizza? Or would that affect the consistency of the whole?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I absolutely loved grilled aubergine...often oven roast big chunks, red onion, tomatoes drizzled with olive oil and dried Italian herbs either as a main meal or side dish. Last nights bbq added in some mushrooms and a courgette to accompany bbq meat. Gorgeous.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

was 5.2 this morning

possibly dp this morning, I woke up about 07.00 after having trouble getting off to sleep at the start of the night, then lay listening to an audiobook and didn't actually get up until about 08.30am :sorry:

It's been a lovely day here although it's clouded over now, we've been over at mum's working in her garden because the forecast says we're getting heavy rain here tomorrow. We took a big salad with us to eat for tea out in the garden so we're just home.

Our car appears to have sprung a bit of an oil leak sometime in the last few days so we will have to see what the garage says about it.

Hope your day has treated you kindly :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I absolutely loved grilled aubergine...often oven roast big chunks, red onion, tomatoes drizzled with olive oil and dried Italian herbs either as a main meal or side dish. Last nights bbq added in some mushrooms and a courgette to accompany bbq meat. Gorgeous.

I love it too. Didn’t use to though but I bought one practically every week because they looked so nice. I kept thinking I’d make something with it but hardly ever did. In the last year or so I’ve really come to enjoy them. Especially Like your a big tray of oven roast veg.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aubergines, to quote Jerome Kern:

Lovely to look at,
delightful to know ...
[not] heaven to kiss
[or eat]

Reactions: Viv19

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks but you know we fundamentally disagree about the success. The food avoidance is largely because so much of the non veg/salad element of this woe is just wasted cals and carbs to me. I just don't see any value in e.g. rolitos or pork scratchings as we have both seen people eat as a lunch. I'm far better having a huge cup of tea and moving on. Why eat something just because it is LC when I don't like it or can react badly (gout) when eaten?. Best wishes to you and your daughter hope all goes well.

I’m not sure we fundamentally disagree. I haven’t been at it as long as you and I’m constantly rethinking my views on it. If I get 4 years down the line I’ll feel more qualified to discuss on an equal footing. For now I’m still watching and learning and trying.
It seems that a lot of people with diabetes have other health problems too so I should think that’s one reason there’s no ‘one size fits all’ cure
I wish you well for another 4 years though and hope you can find some joy in it somewhere.
Thanks for the good wishes too.

Viv19

Thanks but I think it is time for me to stop this topic with 1 last comment. It appears that, for the moment, I have bought time to investigate how to make this woe work for me. How is the toe?

Ok ianpspurs, change of subject. The ridiculous toe is still oversized but no longer very painful. I have hopes that I can now wear shoes without too much discomfort.
We are off today to collect our new car. Slightly more exciting than it sounds. We actually ordered it the first time in January, and went to collect it in April. It looked rather smart, the colour and specs that we had ordered, but when we sat in it and moved seats, console around we realised that it was smaller than our old car. (We ordered the newest model of our old car because it was pretty roomy and did the job). The car company had manufactured the wrong car, right specs for us.
Apparently there was just one letter difference in the order code between the small model and larger one. And about 23 cms in length and it was not as wide, so less elbow room. So they had to order again.
In the meantime we’ve driven the old 13 yr old car, which they had bought from us. They did some repairs at their cost so that we could make some fairly long journeys without problems, a new battery, etc.
So today is rather exciting- like waiting for Christmas twice. ;))
All that talk and I forgot my bg numbers. Last night was 6.2, and I was very happy. This morning was less pleasing at 6.5. At least in the right direction- but I really want 5s before my eye appointment and Dr Grumpy barks at me!

Last edited:

Viv19

That sounds perfect. I’ll try it.

Reactions: HarryBeau and DJC3

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
9.6 this morning at 6am

Sigh...it’s gone up again...don’t know why...

If I could get a variable constant between 5 and 8 all the time (bar any crises or unexpected things that might raise it), that would make me happy.

Have a good day :)

>^..^<