1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HarrisonK, Apr 24, 2019.

1. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

5.4 for me have a good day everyone

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  2. PatsyB

PatsyB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

4.8 this morning am surprised as made a rhubarb crumble yesterday and thought that would send levels up :p

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 5
  3. dunelm

dunelm Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Well, an interesting read.
    My GP gave me the simplest explanation for controlling blood sugars:
    Your insulin has to be shared between all the cells in your body.
    The fewer the cells, the more insulin each cell gets.
    So - the lighter your body - the better the blood sugars.

A bit simplistic but simple explanations that give a visual representation are usually the best and basically, what enables us to shed cells is sorting out a WOE that works and increasing movement.

What you are doing is clearly working for you - happy days (overall - with some fed up bits chucked in to remind you that you are human).

• Like x 8
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
  4. alf_Josiah

alf_Josiah Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who partake in nation bin day, remember bin day is truly tolerant of all irrespective of colour, type or creed.

After a bad night ( details omitted to protect eyesight ) a smiling 6.7 for me and me's this morning, I am now worried my meter is planning something.........

Well folks remember, remember what you may well ask, but not me I've forgotten already.

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 4
  5. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@dunelm Thank you!

I like that simple visual picture.

The 'fed up bits' will be my cue to reassess what went on before...

>^..^<

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Morning All. 6.0 today, odd day yesterday, very tired all day, didnt eat lunchtime on.
    @DJC3 good luck to you today and especially tomo. Also best wishes to your daughter with her consultation. @pavlosn hope the cold doesnt get too bad! @dunelm hope your mum arrives safely. @Bubbsie hope today isnt so hectic.
    Havent had time yet to catch up properly. Off for my review with new DN in a minute.
    Have a good Wed. Stay well, stay safe.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Hug Hug x 2
  7. Bubbsie

Bubbsie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good luck PM...I'm just settling down to another coffee & breakfast too soon for another hectic day...just a little pottering about & a walk with 'Plumpy'

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

That sounds exactly how much my husband packs - it only takes him 10 minutes. It takes me longer than that to read through my packing list, update it then run it off.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

:banghead::arghh::eek:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    #5209 ianpspurs, Jul 10, 2019 at 10:52 AM
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  10. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

An unsurprising 6.5 for me. Might not bother testing for a day or two, not really useful.
    Daughter’s appt was pretty inconclusive, a locum doctor and a load more tests ordered but no attempt to bring hospital appt and colonoscopy forward ( it’s not til Oct. a long wait for something so debilitating)
    @PenguinMum hope all goes well with the DN today, I’m sure she’ll be thrilled with you.
    @Krystyna23040 I love a list too. I often start a ‘to do’ list with stuff I have already done, just so I can tick them off straight away!
    @gennepher I was so impressed by your post and they way you’ve worked out what works for you. Well done.

• Like Like x 9
    • Hug Hug x 2
  11. Cumberland

Cumberland Type 1 · Master

Have a good day

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not at all. I do the same. :D

FBG 6.5 on a morning of lowering grey clouds. The rain has stopped for now, and the bug taking shelter on my window-screen has flown away before being spotted by the KittenCat.

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. PenguinMum

@gennepher back home and have had time to read your earlier post about the success you have had eating your day’s food in the first half of the day. It is very interesting and inspiring to others to try and tweak our habits of eating as required. I am lucky that if I eat the right (for me) food in the right quantities at traditional times I seem to manage ok (for now). However you have illustrated how improvements are possible from changing up what and when we eat. Thanks for sharing.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. PenguinMum

@DJC3 thats a bit disappointing for your daughter (and you) that they couldnt bring forward her hospital appointment and colonoscopy. I wonder what timeline the rules of entitlement are. Difficult week for you but I’m sure your check up tomo will be good.
    Keeping all xd. X

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I hope your appointment with the DN went well.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. PenguinMum

My new DN is young enthusiastic and knows a bit about the success of low carb. We had a good conversation, she agreed starches arent good but as regards offering meters on dx she said it would be too costly. She and her mum are currently doing the Mosely 800 cal diet for her mum to lose weight (neither Diabetic) but she said they feel hungry a lot of the time. I pointed her to this website which she agreed was far more informative than the other one. She concluded that most of her older patients just dont want to give up the basics (ie. bread, potatoes) so she encourages them to cut back. All interesting! I got a smiley sticker btw.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It’s turning into a right old week. Optician is now sending me straight up to Moorfields eye hospital. The glittery halo in my left eye ( which was the reason I made the appt) might be retinal detachment and needs urgent attention. It’s definitely not the cancer spreading (she said that presents differently which is a relief ). Blooming heck! It’s all go here. Might not get to post again - more of those stinging drops gone in my eyes. I’ll check in tomorrow. Hope everyone else has a more peaceful day.

• Hug Hug x 12
  18. Viv19

Viv19 · Well-Known Member

That sounds interesting denelm. But I thought our cells were insulin resistant and that that was why the glucose levels were so high. I’m getting confused. Help!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Hope Moorfileds goes well. Not good but speedy referral and treatment should mean less time to "dwell" on it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Bubbsie

Bubbsie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I thought issues like this were put on a pathway where there are strict time limits...I wonder if it's worth asking what the time frame should be?...how frustrating for you all.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook