What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
30 years ago today I was in a medically induced coma with a 4% chance of survival which goes some way to explain why I have little tolerance for the woke and Calvinistic and all they stand for. Whew that’s a bit heavy for me.
Thanks for sharing Alf x

Reactions: alf_Josiah

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen and all who bask in the glory of it’s “another day”, que song, but then again the operative word could be bask in sun, who knows?
A 5.8 this morning on that meter, I must drink more water to minimise heat stress and stay hydrated.
We are still moving furniture around, staying indoors out of the sun and I am trying to de clutter while Mrs J is fighting a winning battle and issuing instructions or more correctly orders.
30 years ago today I was in a medically induced coma with a 4% chance of survival which goes some way to explain why I have little tolerance for the woke and Calvinistic and all they stand for. Whew that’s a bit heavy for me.
Well fellow posters and painters and I hope you all are well, enjoy today national bin day is approaching fast just over tomorrow’s horizon.
Now I must go and do as I am told……well nearly.
Glad you got another 30 years and a hope for many more. That there John Calvin - they still argue about the shape of his hat over the pond.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.6

Yesterday Midnight is following me the entire time I am doing something whether outdoors or indoors. He lies by my feet if I am standing still doing a task. He is most contented. If I am swinging on the swing he sits by my feet, but if I pat the space next to me, his eyes widen as if to say "You're inviting me?" And he promptly jumps up, snuggles into my leg and purrs like a tractor engine.

This morning Jade was sitting on the other side of the swing to Midnight, but Midnight seemed to be in the middle of the swing, nearer to Jade. Jade did the slow blink thing, and wasn't skittish this morning as she usually is. She stayed on the swing until I came out, and then jumped down and hid behind the wormery bin. But her head kept peeking round, Normally she stays out of sight until I get back in the bungalow. Give it a few days and I might be able to touch her.

My vegetable garden. I do not have a hosepipe, but water it with grey water (so that takes effort to gather), I put a bowl in the wash basin etc to collect any water. I don't have a water meter, so I don't need to do this, but I choose to. It is hard work to do all this with my hands and arthritis etc. I designed this vegetable garden, by stacking it a bit, and on chairs with a container underneath, so that water goes from the top container down to the next, and any excess water goes into the container underneath (to be reused) instead of being wasted and dribbling away on the concrete. So, my vegetable garden has survived the hot weather, even on days when it was too hot for me to physically water.

But we have another hot few days, and I am no good in heat. Last night I had the idea of putting up those parasols that I bought for 'protection' against Mr Insensitive Xmas Lights neighbour who was having intrusive (to me) work being done on his bungalow, roof, garage, driveway on a constant basis, and the scallies he employed spent a lot of time sitting on his roofs smoking and not working. So, I had no privacy in my garden for months and months and months in end. That was when I bought these parasols as a privacy screen. It worked. And last night I thought, why not use them as a screening against the hot sun drying out my vegetable garden. I managed to get two up. They are big and unwieldy. I'll get the other one up today. Hopefully these will help my vegetable garden. I haven't lost anything in my vegetable garden from the heat and drying out yet. Although in the rest of my garden I have lost some bushes (leaves have all died), parts of trees have died, and the ground which normally has green ground cover, is a barren wasteland now.

I am working on microgreens for indoors, and I have a hydroponics system going (and a second one to start when the colder weather is here). But this is basically for winter. I am sourcing seeds and stuff for the microgreens. Doing well with that. There is just me to feed in this bungalow, I don't know how viable something like this would work if you had a family, you would need a room for it.

Creative today is one of my colourful pillowcases as a kaleidoscope in Laboscope. Recognise the fabric? Laura Ashley. A couple of decades or so ago, I loved her materials. And I bought a length to make a long skirt out of it (I can't wear long skirts now, I trip over them!). But there was never enough time. I am over Laura Ashley materials now (does she still exist?). But I like these pillowcases I made out of the fabric.

Coffee now, stuff to do, a parasol to wrestle with...
Be good...
Or not...

4B84DD65-961F-4A4A-AFBC-0E88238D7D7E.jpeg

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone and it’s another Death Star invasion of a day here in the dark and dangerous (and also arid) north. Not as arid of course as the Anglian Desert where double glazing production as drawn to a halt due to glass not fully solidifying. Rose bushes - we do seem to have inherited quite a few and Mrs Miggins’ garden design means that eight of them need moving to pave the way for a Chelsea contender. Not this week though as the BIL who will be doing the heavy stuff has tested positive. I do hope that it’s only mild. Off to pick up Mrs Miggins’ now mended under warranty IPhone in a while, hopefully before the sun reaches it’s zenith. Art bit - my finished tree in the moonlight. Have a great day if you can. I shall of course now go and make Koffy.

upload_2022-8-10_7-52-20.jpeg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone and it’s another Death Star invasion of a day here in the dark and dangerous (and also arid) north. Not as arid of course as the Anglian Desert where double glazing production as drawn to a halt due to glass not fully solidifying. Rose bushes - we do seem to have inherited quite a few and Mrs Miggins’ garden design means that eight of them need moving to pave the way for a Chelsea contender. Not this week though as the BIL who will be doing the heavy stuff has tested positive. I do hope that it’s only mild. Off to pick up Mrs Miggins’ now mended under warranty IPhone in a while, hopefully before the sun reaches it’s zenith. Art bit - my finished tree in the moonlight. Have a great day if you can. I shall of course now go and make Koffy.

View attachment 55860
Wow! I love the moonlight sky with this!
And the amazing moon @dunelm

Better get moving to pick up that iPhone, before you melt in this heat...

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.6

Yesterday Midnight is following me the entire time I am doing something whether outdoors or indoors. He lies by my feet if I am standing still doing a task. He is most contented. If I am swinging on the swing he sits by my feet, but if I pat the space next to me, his eyes widen as if to say "You're inviting me?" And he promptly jumps up, snuggles into my leg and purrs like a tractor engine.

This morning Jade was sitting on the other side of the swing to Midnight, but Midnight seemed to be in the middle of the swing, nearer to Jade. Jade did the slow blink thing, and wasn't skittish this morning as she usually is. She stayed on the swing until I came out, and then jumped down and hid behind the wormery bin. But her head kept peeking round, Normally she stays out of sight until I get back in the bungalow. Give it a few days and I might be able to touch her.

My vegetable garden. I do not have a hosepipe, but water it with grey water (so that takes effort to gather), I put a bowl in the wash basin etc to collect any water. I don't have a water meter, so I don't need to do this, but I choose to. It is hard work to do all this with my hands and arthritis etc. I designed this vegetable garden, by stacking it a bit, and on chairs with a container underneath, so that water goes from the top container down to the next, and any excess water goes into the container underneath (to be reused) instead of being wasted and dribbling away on the concrete. So, my vegetable garden has survived the hot weather, even on days when it was too hot for me to physically water.

But we have another hot few days, and I am no good in heat. Last night I had the idea of putting up those parasols that I bought for 'protection' against Mr Insensitive Xmas Lights neighbour who was having intrusive (to me) work being done on his bungalow, roof, garage, driveway on a constant basis, and the scallies he employed spent a lot of time sitting on his roofs smoking and not working. So, I had no privacy in my garden for months and months and months in end. That was when I bought these parasols as a privacy screen. It worked. And last night I thought, why not use them as a screening against the hot sun drying out my vegetable garden. I managed to get two up. They are big and unwieldy. I'll get the other one up today. Hopefully these will help my vegetable garden. I haven't lost anything in my vegetable garden from the heat and drying out yet. Although in the rest of my garden I have lost some bushes (leaves have all died), parts of trees have died, and the ground which normally has green ground cover, is a barren wasteland now.

I am working on microgreens for indoors, and I have a hydroponics system going (and a second one to start when the colder weather is here). But this is basically for winter. I am sourcing seeds and stuff for the microgreens. Doing well with that. There is just me to feed in this bungalow, I don't know how viable something like this would work if you had a family, you would need a room for it.

Creative today is one of my colourful pillowcases as a kaleidoscope in Laboscope. Recognise the fabric? Laura Ashley. A couple of decades or so ago, I loved her materials. And I bought a length to make a long skirt out of it (I can't wear long skirts now, I trip over them!). But there was never enough time. I am over Laura Ashley materials now (does she still exist?). But I like these pillowcases I made out of the fabric.

Be good...
Or not...

View attachment 55859
Smart move with the parasols. When I worked in East Africa, our house vegetables were grown on the top of mounds with each plant having a little moat round it to conserve water and some under tall canopies made out of whatever was available. Quite labour intensive mind. Laura Ashley closed (one of my sister in laws worked in one of the shops) but the brand is back and can be found in shops called Next. Smashing kaleidoscope.

Reactions: ianpspurs

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Smart move with the parasols. When I worked in East Africa, our house vegetables were grown on the top of mounds with each plant having a little moat round it to conserve water and some under tall canopies made out of whatever was available. Quite labour intensive mind. Laura Ashley closed (one of my sister in laws worked in one of the shops) but the brand is back and can be found in shops called Next. Smashing kaleidoscope.
Thank you for all that information on the plants, and Laura Ashley @dunelm
And thanks for the kaleidoscope compliment.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Before we, that is me, me’s and myself start today’s written verbal rambling a special mention for @gennepher and @dunelm for today’s posting creativity on all levels.
Good busy Morening ladies and gentlemen, well it is busy here in Tilehurst Towers.
A 5.8 on that meter, a -ve covid lft result, 30 minutes plinky plonky and more to do before today’s lesson and finally slurping safety koffy. Why is it safety koffy? Simple, it preserves life, just don’t annoy me before I’ve had my koffy.
It looks very much like the BBC’s work of science fiction and fantasy known to all as the weather forecast is predicting another hot few days, I shall dig out my cold weather clothing. Call me sceptical if you like, but not before I’ve finished my koffy.
Stay safe and cool all.

Reactions: dunelm

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone at the start of another stretch of extreme heat here and widely across England. and Wales. @gennepher thanks for the creative and more details of your ingenuity and ability to re-purpose things. I hope your vegetables continue to flourish and the micro-greens crop prolifically. @dunelm sorry to hear about your BIL but good news on the repaired iphone. Thanks for sharing your art which I find up there with those most to my personal taste. @alf_Josiah well done on the musical practice. Am I correct in assuming that tomorrow is a very significant date in your calendar? I have it as something to remember in my own google diary. Just two grandchildren here today and one of those for half a day after collection from nursery/preschool. How much per hour do fans cost to run? 4p to boil a kettle for a pot of tea for 2, 3p for a 1 cup pot. I have no liking for water as a drink outside of during exercise but corporation tax is obviously a clear and present danger so I'm glad to make a few sacrifices. I will admit to being confused between a handout and a bung. Do stay as (cheaply) well hydrated and cool as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: alf_Josiah

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.6

Last night, Midnight didn't want me to lock up. I hadn't a clue what he wanted. He normally gets on the swing and settles to sleep when I lock up for the night. But not last night. i was taking my tomatoes in. I always bring them in at night now they are fruiting, and then in the morning I put them out again for the bees and insects to fertilise the new flowers. These two plants give me all the tomatoes I need. So I sorted all my packing up for the night stuff, and Midnight is still following me around. I gave him lots of strokes and cuddles and stuff, but by now I just wanted to lock up and go to bed. He got in the way of the door so I was unable to lock it. He came in the bungalow and wouldn't leave, so I went to lock the door, but he shot outside. Inside or outside, he wanted neither. He was very insistent about something in his miaows, but I did not have a clue.

I have mended the cat flap in the kitchen. It will last a little while. And I was trying to persuade Midnight to use it, but all I got was him on one or other side of the cat flap but he had no intention of going through it. I even tried propping it open, he just stared at me from the other side...

So, last night when he took me in the kitchen for the umpteenth time, I then moved his food and biscuits to in there, water, and a cat tray, which I don't think he has ever seen in his life, and his big wide eyes looked at it as though it were an alien monster. There is a chair in the kitchen which my cats used to sit on. I had already, a few weeks ago, prepared that with cushions and fleeces on it for him. I put a drop of milk on a plate to occupy him while I got out unseen and shut the door. And went to bed and straight to sleep.

I looked in the kitchen with trepidation when I woke up this morning. Everything was as it was last night. And no Midnight. He had finally figured out the cat flap and got through it without jamming in it. He must've done that pretty much straight away. He hadn't even sat on the chair.

So then, I am looking out with trepidation for Midnight on the swing this morning. He was there with Jade. A sigh of relief from me. Midnight was lovely and friendly with me.

I will have another go with Midnight and the kitchen and the cat flap later today. I want him to realise he can come back into the kitchen from outside where there will always be that chair for him, water, and cat food in there. He may need a retreat from some night creature in the garden. I think the badger has returned the night before last because some stuff was moved in the garden. Some larger branches. It was like something was trying to make a den with the digging that had gone on. I cannot find an entry point. There might be a tunnel into the garden...

Creative is a digital drawing of Midnight and Jade. I am trying to get their characters...

Another cuppa needed now...
And a nap...

View attachment 55833
I love your cat and garden tales . We have a ginger and white cat that isn't ours but has been coming round for several years now . I was never very fussed about cats until this one turned up it's not a stray but clearly likes our house and garden ( my garden is a bit on the wild side , she also sleeps some nights on our swing .

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 this morning. Was pinged today as a close contact for Covid on Saturday. Someone must have put their phone close to mine in the class. Tested negative today and no symptoms but being very careful and am keeping well away from the upstairs office while sister is doing her part the admin. We all stay socially distanced in the classes so hopefully I should stay negative.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone at the start of another stretch of extreme heat here and widely across England. and Wales. @gennepher thanks for the creative and more details of your ingenuity and ability to re-purpose things. I hope your vegetables continue to flourish and the micro-greens crop prolifically. @dunelm sorry to hear about your BIL but good news on the repaired iphone. Thanks for sharing your art which I find up there with those most to my personal taste. @alf_Josiah well done on the musical practice. Am I correct in assuming that tomorrow is a very significant date in your calendar? I have it as something to remember in my own google diary. Just two grandchildren here today and one of those for half a day after collection from nursery/preschool. How much per hour do fans cost to run? 4p to boil a kettle for a pot of tea for 2, 3p for a 1 cup pot. I have no liking for water as a drink outside of during exercise but corporation tax is obviously a clear and present danger so I'm glad to make a few sacrifices. I will admit to being confused between a handout and a bung. Do stay as (cheaply) well hydrated and cool as possible.
Thank you @ianpspurs, pleased that it pleased you - so to speak.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Ian for all your blessings!
I hope your day was a good one...

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love your cat and garden tales . We have a ginger and white cat that isn't ours but has been coming round for several years now . I was never very fussed about cats until this one turned up it's not a stray but clearly likes our house and garden ( my garden is a bit on the wild side , she also sleeps some nights on our swing .
Cats seem to like swings!
And wild gardens @mojo37

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @ianpspurs, pleased that it pleased you - so to speak.
On reflection I could have worded that less ambiguously. What I meant was that even though I always hold your art in high esteem and it is always pleasing, I found today's piece especially to my liking.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.6

Be good...
Or not...

View attachment 55859
That is such a good idea to use the parasols to shade your veggies. Also it is really environmentally friendly to reuse the water - but hard work.

Midnight is so happy with the way his life has turned out in his new hone.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 55860
Lovely artwork. Hope your BIL is OK.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is such a good idea to use the parasols to shade your veggies. Also it is really environmentally friendly to reuse the water - but hard work.

Midnight is so happy with the way his life has turned out in his new hone.
Thanks @Krystyna23040
The shading veggies is working very well!!!
It is hard work, but once something is a habit, it is less hard work. Although I do rebel from time to time!
Midnight is truly contented at the moment.