What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you make some good point @ianpspurs

however i think like @Debandez ..
the shakes diet is just a sticking plaster, a stepping stone..
but as debs points out..to where..?

It seems the reality of a real low carb diet, which most likely requires higher fats, just sticks in their throat.

it's akin to a bodge job on the car to get you home.
it still requires a real repair, to be roadworthy for the next year and years to come.
and can only offer false hope, imho.

i'd worry that the shakes if not followed up by 'something' akin to LCHF, for instance, will i suspect just be a yo-yo diet in many regards.

I think to offer up the idea that 8 weeks cures your ills with regard type 2, is disingenuous and will dilute the real fact that ANY treatment of type 2 requires a lifetime commitment to regulating the sugar intake, be that by LCHF, keto, Veganism or any other dietary protocol.

So glad that as hard as my early days were, they did lead me to here and my choice of LCHF.
a choice they seem most reluctant to offer others for some reason.

Hope your day treats you well
best wishes for Thursday.

I'm sure the whole world knows now but when I was diagnosed I was offered metformin. No alternative. My DN just drew me (I still have it, see attached) my very own eatwell plate to ensure I knew what to eat as a diabetic. Very little fat but lots of starchy carbs. I asked for 3 months to see if I could bring down my hba1c. 62 on dx. 8th dec 17. By Feb it was 47 and May 41. Went lower after that. How did I do it? By using Google. I input 'reversing diabetes '. 1st site was DCUK (still is, just done it).

When I went back armed with lots if ammo asking my DN what she thought she said this 'not one person has done what you have done'. I said 'what, all this research?' No she said. Bring down hba1c. This was later confirmed when I sent email to Practice manager asking for stats following my dr saying to me I could have done this with low cal like it was a regular occurrence. She contacted all 3 x DNs (we are 2 big practices, one in the heart of Blackpool). ***Only bariatric pts have done this*** was their reply. I still have the email. So for me it worked well. And as far as I'm concerned it should be offered as an option. But not to allow pts a choice when the science is out there is shocking and I will battle to do my little bit to change things. Education is key. HCPs need it, pts need it. But I still agree there are other ways.

I think you make some good point @ianpspurs

however i think like @Debandez ..
the shakes diet is just a sticking plaster, a stepping stone..
but as debs points out..to where..?

It seems the reality of a real low carb diet, which most likely requires higher fats, just sticks in their throat.

it's akin to a bodge job on the car to get you home.
it still requires a real repair, to be roadworthy for the next year and years to come.
and can only offer false hope, imho.

i'd worry that the shakes if not followed up by 'something' akin to LCHF, for instance, will i suspect just be a yo-yo diet in many regards.

I think to offer up the idea that 8 weeks cures your ills with regard type 2, is disingenuous and will dilute the real fact that ANY treatment of type 2 requires a lifetime commitment to regulating the sugar intake, be that by LCHF, keto, Veganism or any other dietary protocol.

So glad that as hard as my early days were, they did lead me to here and my choice of LCHF.
a choice they seem most reluctant to offer others for some reason.

Hope your day treats you well
best wishes for Thursday.

Attachments

• 20190226_173632_resized.jpg
    20190226_173632_resized.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: Viv19

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Amphibians, Ladies and Gentlemen. I have just found a cat sleeping on one of my outdoors sofas, it won't be doing that again. Might be having low carb curry for dinner tonight.

A gentle 5.5 climbed out of my meter early this morning, waved then ran out of the front door and dived into one of the many pot holes in our road.

What an interesting read on the forum this morning, good and bad advice from the NHS, posters discussing semantics of percentages.

My situation is different as is all ours. If I had listened to nurses, GP's and junior hospital doctors I would be dead by now. This is no exaggeration. I only listen to consultants and then think things through and act accordingly, but I am lucky because I have access to this level of advice.
What I will say is trying to solve diabetes with a one fix solves all is almost impossible.
Our body chemistry is unique, you should be taking into account the tails on the distribution curve.
If you want to understand where I am coming from please read my profile. Life is complicated.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure how much real attention the management of T2 get's there jjraak...they do not promote testing for T2 on a very grand scale unless it's self funded...they did change their advice on diet relatively recently for the first time since 2011 however opted for low carb & low fat...why I have no idea...if you read their recommendations for a healthy diet to manage your T2 diabetes it includes wholemeal bread...bananas as a healthy snack option...some cereals...the list of high carb foods is endless...I wonder why they are not prepared to mount a study with LCHF or some other alternative more effective diet.

The DUK booklets I still have from dx say 'wondering what you can eat? You can eat everything'!!!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 after my late dinner. Good with that.

Dashing but reading a few posts. Doncha just love it when you come across a page (more or less) of thank you 's. On page 361 now. Just 3 more to go then I'm up to date. Catch ya later buddies. Have a good one. Going to see if my paint has washed off!!!!

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting isn’t it that our so called health professional have poor knowledge about T2D - I believe that the lower limit for neuropathy is roughly 7 and that many people only look at a fasting reading. I seem to remember that @jjraak may have posted a study on this but not sure.
It's scandalous dunelm

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn’t want to read some third party stuff and what DUK have done with it remains to be seen.
You may not dunelm (and I don't knowing better) however many believing DUK is at the cutting edge of diabetes management because it's hailed as such will...it's the first place I and many of the other T2's were directed to.

Reactions: dunelm and DJC3

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting isn’t it that our so called health professional have poor knowledge about T2D - I believe that the lower limit for neuropathy is roughly 7 and that many people only look at a fasting reading. I seem to remember that @jjraak may have posted a study on this but not sure.

Something I found useful as a guide..
https://www.bloodsugar101.com/must-you-deteriorate

It's long article
But while it discusses merits of staying under ,7.7 mmol..
the crux of control comes down to.this

"..the strategy is simple.
use your blood sugar meter to test your blood after every meal and
eliminate from your diet the foods that raise your blood sugar to
140 mg/dl at one hour
And 120 mg/dl at 2 hours.

This strategy has worked for many people whose A1cs were as high as 13.0% at diagnosis who were able to bring them down to the 5% range within a few months.

I have maintained an A1c in the 5% range for most of the past 18 years.
I have developed none of the classic diabetic complications. "

Good enough for me to take serious notice

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning gave me a 6.3 after a happy 5.8 last night. Weight has dipped too - I love being in the green band on the BMI scale. Now I want to reach the middle of it. :))

Brilliant!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have just hit on the reason I'm not sure about moving to the little town. I don't want to be at the mercy of other people's schedules and transportation. Here I can walk to do my shopping, when I want, where I want, for as long or short a time as I want. One positive that outweighs all the negatives of city life as well as all the positives of small-town life.

This is exactly how I felt when we moved to Cornwall from the London suburbs. We finally chose this village which is not a pretty little Cornish fishing village, it’s not quaint or picturesque but it does have a doctor’s surgery, post office, pharmacy and a couple of shops so I can walk to them if I need to and there is a bus route to the bigger towns nearby.
I still miss having a coffee shop in walking distance and the variety of shopping we had before as well as better transport links ( the bus to Truro takes over an hour) but we have all we need and the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for us. It’s about reaching the balance that works for you good luck.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may not dunelm (and I don't knowing better) however many believing DUK is at the cutting edge of diabetes management because it's hailed as such will...it's the first place I and many of the other T2's were directed to.

You’re right. I only found DCUK by accident when I was looking for DUK - I didn’t realise they were different to begin with.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 for me this morning - a surprise as I was feeling grotty all day yesterday and have been up all night on the loo! Feeling a lot more human now but I’ve missed puppy training class and I’ve put off having grandchildren to stay overnight just in case it was something contagious. My C is fine, but he has a cast iron constitution.

Reactions: Viv19 and karen8967

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You’re right. I only found DCUK by accident when I was looking for DUK - I didn’t realise they were different to begin with.
Exactly the same for me DJC...I did post on DUK for some time but finally came to the realisation it just didn't 'cut the mustard'

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 at 7am this morning, went back to sleep while libre shows a little mountain but I was 5.2 when I finally woke up at half 10. I’ve been looking at the TFR low cal diet, the LCHF has helped me get my numbers into a pretty good range, but I’ve not been able to reduce my insulin at all, in fact I think I need to increase my evening dose a little to better cope with DP. I’m gonna do more research, but my understanding is the VLCD helps kick start you body to using your own insulin properly. THEN after 8 or 12 weeks you need to adopt a good diet which I would do LCHF, not their carb laden diet.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Something I found useful as a guide..
https://www.bloodsugar101.com/must-you-deteriorate

It's long article
But while it discusses merits of staying under ,7.7 mmol..the crux of control cones down to.this

..the strategy is simple.
use your blood sugar meter to test your blood after every meal and eliminate from your diet the foods that raise your blood sugar o
140 mg/dl at one hour
And 120 mg/dl at 2 hours.

This strategy has worked for many people whose A1cs were as high as 13.0% at diagnosis who were able to bring them down to the 5% range within a few months.

I have maintained an A1c in the 5% range for most of the past 18 years.
I have developed none of the classic diabetic complications. "

Good enough for me to take serious notice

This is a bit depressing. I’m sometimes over 120 mg/dl (6.7 mmol/l) at 2 hrs even after a low carb meal. It’s usually because my pre meal reading was a bit higher and I assumed that if the rise was <2 mmol/l I’d be ok.
Looks like more tweaking to be done, also perhaps I should check after 1 hr too - but that might also be scary

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its a very interesting convo about advice to newly diagnosed T2s. I really dont understand why any Dr or Nurse would not be open to new science (well as we know its actually old science) to improve the life of their patient. I wonder if there is such a thing as a Diabetes register (like a big spreadsheet) that tracks pts from dx forwards and records their results and whether med/eatwell/LC or what combo ensued. Surely that would show what works.
@Debandez just realised I am your Dia twin, dxd the same date! @DJC3 hug for the bug glas you got a great FBG. @gennepher cant be easy with that resistance from your folks but not for the first time I admire your strength and self belief.
Great convo All. I also googled “how to reverse diabetes” and found my way here and never looked back. Thanks EVERYONE here on this thread because genuinely your friendship and support sustains me every single day. Take care.

Reactions: Viv19 and DJC3

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And then there's vinyl. I was going to throw mine but then someone said they could be collectors items. Now that makes me feel old!!!

We were all sold down the river with Digital, a bit like T2D guidelines, wrong. My son invested in a quite expensive record Dec and I gave him my old vinyl, Sergent Pepper, Abbey Road, Rolling Stones and some Classical Music and much more the sound quality was amazing. We compared vinyl and digital on the same equipment, digital lost hands down. So keep your vinyl and request a record player from Father Christmas you will be amazed. Enjoy Rome.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning All. 6.3 today and I think it is because Ibaccidentally missed lunch then at 4pm I snacked on rollitos and cold bacon from the dridge and then a few hours later had dinner and then Oppo. It works best for me to stick to small brekkie, small lunch and then dinner. I had given up snacking a while ago. This routine keeps me happy.
@Bubbsie hug from afar for the cold, it really does feel like winter. @SaskiaKC what a sweet pic of the KC though hope she didnt unravel your bed. Hug to her from B&D for the storm. @Debandez the things we do for our children, well done to you and Eric, brilliant job. I am either off to Kent later but more probs tomo morning to collect my lovely friend from hospital and look after her for a few days.
Batten down the hatches everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

The KittenCat thanks Bobs and Daisy for the hug. She says she thinks I am the one who did the unravelling, as the thread just appeared out of nowhere under a shirt folded on the bed. I just washed that white blanket the other day, so maybe the thread is a delayed stressed-shedding from the blanket! ^. .^

@Bubbsie I am sorry to hear about your cold. No wonder you'd been feeling off. I hope you are able to stretch out supplies on hand; I know, that is hard for me to do. Stay in, take care of yourself. Hug.