What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Every little helps . Hoping that the week of diabetes coming up on 24th August will do great things. In one of the biggest selling papers. It has to help.

I was listening to you tube videos yesterday on the subject. I find it amazing that diabetes.org.uk are ploughing money into their way of gaining remission ie the 8 week (or so) shake (people must be starving, torturous). Yes, hba1c comes down (it will with lack of food) but then what? How do they sustain it? Low cal apparently. The 2 sites couldn't be further apart.

All I know is from day one of changing to low carb higher than my norm fat I've rarely been hungry. It was quite incredible actually.

She doesnt seem happy to me. What do you think?

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/researc...ht/research-spotlight-low-calorie-liquid-diet
If the shake and low cal work for some people surely that must be good in terms of ultimate goal of reversing and controlling? Obviously wouldn't be the first choice for most on here but LCHF is also not a realistic option for some people either. I love your work in spreading the LCHF word but I can see how other ways suit some people better.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sometimes, when we are round at mother in laws place,

it can be useful for a bloke to dip into the blooming buzzing confusion that (1) is usually tuned out and pick up some gems of interest.

For instance, on Sunday I found out, purely by accident, that it’s our wedding anniversary today.

Time enough then for a “happy anniversary” cheer when delivering Mrs Miggins her morning brew.

Now Number ONE..i fully agree with.,,Good man..
information overload can be a real problem for us chaps, so like me your best avoiding the risk

But as to the over hearing...come, come Mr Bond.

surely you still have some of the old kit from back in the day..;)
..to help pick out relevant danger words.

you know the ones that strike fear and spur us into action...

"presidents been shot".."man down" or the scariest of all, an unexpected.
."Anniversary/birthday"..:***:

agentsmith.jpg

Either way good recovery .
m1257.gif

hope you both enjoy the day.:)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy anniversary @dunelm and please pass on my congratulations and best wishes to your good lady. From what I can gather in your posts she must be a very wise and patient lady with superb man management skills. A real Angel of the (frozen) North methinks but you know that dontcha!:angelic:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If the shake and low cal work for some people surely that must be good in terms of ultimate goal of reversing and controlling?

Obviously wouldn't be the first choice for most on here but LCHF is also not a realistic option for some people either.

I love your work in spreading the LCHF word but I can see how other ways suit some people better.

I think you make some good point @ianpspurs

however i think like @Debandez ..
the shakes diet is just a sticking plaster, a stepping stone..
but as debs points out..to where..?

It seems the reality of a real low carb diet, which most likely requires higher fats, just sticks in their throat.

it's akin to a bodge job on the car to get you home.
it still requires a real repair, to be roadworthy for the next year and years to come.
and can only offer false hope, imho.

i'd worry that the shakes if not followed up by 'something' akin to LCHF, for instance, will i suspect just be a yo-yo diet in many regards.

I think to offer up the idea that 8 weeks cures your ills with regard type 2, is disingenuous and will dilute the real fact that ANY treatment of type 2 requires a lifetime commitment to regulating the sugar intake, be that by LCHF, keto, Veganism or any other dietary protocol.

So glad that as hard as my early days were, they did lead me to here and my choice of LCHF.
a choice they seem most reluctant to offer others for some reason.

Hope your day treats you well
best wishes for Thursday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ah, which reminds me..mine was a not too pretty (for me) 6.5

a beautiful dinner last night made me think, i may have cracked this diet.

2 lamb chops grilled
one frozen microwaved carrot and swede mash (Iceland) small portion
one leek. fried with double cream..(absolutely delicious)
and some asparagus *6) in butter, steamed in my sistema microwave steamer
(£5 well spent.. used it loads )

thoroughly enjoyed, got enough left for tonight's dinner..Yum

all good ..then i spoiled it with 2 beers..:sorry:

ho hum...back to no beers and the odd vodka, me thinks

nice day here in the capital...
have a good un, all.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She doesnt seem happy to me. What do you think?
Have I read correctly Debs...over two years a third of the test group is still in remission...if that's correct I wouldn't say it's a resounding success...DUK did not work for me too archaic...patronising nothing innovative...yet it's perceived to be the gold standard of T2 care & management...smoke & mirrors come to mind.

Reactions: Viv19

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have I read correctly Debs...over two years a third of the test group is still in remission...if that's correct I wouldn't say it's a resounding success...DUK did not work for me too archaic...patronising nothing innovative...yet it's perceived to be the gold standard of T2 care & management...smoke & mirrors come to mind.

agree, does seem that many return to where they were, sadly.:sorry:

EDIT. there seems a little gentle 'Play' with the numbers, i think.

Almost half (45.6%) of those who took part in the programme were in remission after a year.

The second year results of the trial showed that, of these people, 70% were still in remission by the end of year two.

if it was a 100 people, then year one only 45.6 stayed on track
by year two only 31 of that 100 were still in remission.
69 who tried it failed after 2 years.

not sure i'd want odds like that to be my ONLY Hope.
when there ARE other methods available.

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
agree, does seem that many return to where they were, sadly.:sorry:
I'm not sure how much real attention the management of T2 get's there jjraak...they do not promote testing for T2 on a very grand scale unless it's self funded...they did change their advice on diet relatively recently for the first time since 2011 however opted for low carb & low fat...why I have no idea...if you read their recommendations for a healthy diet to manage your T2 diabetes it includes wholemeal bread...bananas as a healthy snack option...some cereals...the list of high carb foods is endless...I wonder why they are not prepared to mount a study with LCHF or some other alternative more effective diet.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think to offer up the idea that 8 weeks cures your ills with regard type 2, is disingenuous and will dilute the real fact that ANY treatment of type 2 requires a lifetime commitment to regulating the sugar intake, be that by LCHF, keto, Veganism or any other dietary protocol.
I like the sensible tone of the reply and the focus on the long term. Without derailing this thread anymore a couple of points strike me. Managing sugar intake or glucose levels doesn't necessarily mean nutritious which I think is the thrust of the critique of the shakes then low cal/fat approach. I am quite willing to accept that some analysis of the weaknesses of LCHF are valid - it is certainly creaking for me. Secondly, as you rightly say, there are other approaches to a healthy woe that work for many and LCHF is one pathway. Overall, I think low carb is the least bad option out there but I am wholly unconvinced of the hf element.
Enough from me.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not sure how much real attention the management of T2 get's there jjraak...they do not promote testing for T2 on a very grand scale unless it's self funded...they did change their advice on diet relatively recently for the first time since 2011 however opted for low carb & low fat...why I have no idea...if you read their recommendations for a healthy diet to manage your T2 diabetes it includes wholemeal bread...bananas as a healthy snack option...some cereals...the list of high carb foods is endless...I wonder why they are not prepared to mount a study with LCHF or some other alternative more effective diet.

i think you answered your own question, @Bubbsie ;)
but why oh why, doesn't someone do it.
i'd volunteer as guinea pig.

( have to admit, i stopped listening to them when all i heard was more of the same foods the docs had suggested,
which had left me miserable and dispirited over my initial 6 weeks )

Thank god i found this forum,
m1211.gif

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like the sensible tone of the reply and the focus on the long term. Without derailing this thread anymore a couple of points strike me. Managing sugar intake or glucose levels doesn't necessarily mean nutritious which I think is the thrust of the critique of the shakes then low cal/fat approach. I am quite willing to accept that some analysis of the weaknesses of LCHF are valid - it is certainly creaking for me. Secondly, as you rightly say, there are other approaches to a healthy woe that work for many and LCHF is one pathway. Overall, I think low carb is the least bad option out there but I am wholly unconvinced the hf element.
Enough from me.

Agreed @ianpspurs
it is all about choices
for me LCHF is an a la carte menu.
i don't have to swallow all of it,
just the bits i like that work for ME
we all must make our own choices.

take care.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Then heaven forbid you ever Look at your Google timeline ( Google maps)....:lock::woot:
I was a self employed computer software developer from 1976, when we though 256 bytes was a lot of space, until 2000 when I retired. I develpoed a lot of algorithms so am partly guilty for today's world of information gathering. :(

Most of us have no idea how much data is being gathered about our lives it's like hidden carbohydrates in food, Mr Google is becoming a very powerful man. I leave my phone at home on my Mountain bike Rides so Mr Google does not know where I am in the woods, or DOES HE!:snaphappy:

Just got back from a 2 hour ride 5.6 from my pet Dracula :)