What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
28-12-19
6.1 Today. So decided not to eat.
90 mins later 6.7

Obviously not got this.
But first test was not immediately on waking. Maybe that 25-30 mins, without food, was enough for it to start rising?

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've seen teletype machines in movies but I don't think I've ever seen a telecopier. It sounds fascinating!
I loved the mimeograph/duplicating machines like the one in the picture I posted. They used purple ink and the sheets of paper always came off the roller still damp and with a wonderful smell of ink.
I remember our biology teacher back in the 60s always banding off notes for his students, his fingers were always blue and so were ours if he gave us the copies straight off the machine.

Reactions: DJC3 and SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to operate that duplicating machine @SaskiaKC at school in the secretary's office. Cranking the handle. I was about 12 yrs old.
It wouldn't be allowed if the machine were around now. Because I think some form of alcohol was used. It might have been Methanol & Isopropyl alcohol mix for the purple ink.
I do recall the door to outside being open when I was using it. So I presume ventilation was needed...

I think you're right. I remember at my school, when the teacher would hand out test papers, she would always lay them face down on our desks and then go back to her desk and tell us to turn them over and begin the test. And all together, we would turn our papers over, hold them up to our noses, take a deep whiff of the lovely smell of the ink, and THEN begin the test. We never had any idea about inhaling any sort of spirits, or fumes. We just loved the smell. :)

There was another kind of duplicating machine that also had a roller, and the original was typed onto a long blue waxy stencil sheet. But those copies came out dry, the ink was boring everyday black, and there was no particular smell to breathe.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I remember our biology teacher back in the 60s always banding off notes for his students, his fingers were always blue and so were ours if he gave us the copies straight off the machine.

Did the copies smell good? Did the smell clash with that of the biology lab? :)
I worked in a biology/botany department for awhile and to this day I can remember the smell. I don't know if it was a mixture of formaldehyde and other chemicals, or what, but every biology lab I have ever been in has smelled exactly the same. Not bad, just distinct.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday.

Some concerns re fbg, so must try to temper good input tomorrow.. Quite hungry this morning, so ate well of the buffet..egg pancake and then an egg ommolette….. Some chicken and a little more rice then I anticipated.

So cutting back Sunday onwards.

Once sated, we mounted up and headed south to one of best rated beaches..

In town the traffic busy as usual, but once we hit the highway, traffic trails of dramatically.

Reminded me of a pic of a North Korean highway, all beautifully manicured and picturesque even, but only one solitary horse and cart on it.

This Vietnamese island not to different.

But it does feel nice if a little weird to have so little traffic after the hullabaloo of town.

Beach we hit in 40 mins, with one stop to check where we were, and before I got phone out, local gent, asked if we wanted the beach, and gave directions… Lovely people once again.

Beach lovely.. Busy at entrance way, but thinned out as we walked further away from it.

Found two great sunbeds, and two drinks for three princely sum of £6 all in..bargain.
IMG_20191228_125431~01.jpg

Lauren couldn't resist the swing photo opportunity.

IMG_20191228_124150~01.jpg

And we both had a swim, water nice.. Quite a shallow beach, so a good way out before you could actually swim tho.

Vendors on bikes..(ain't everything here.)

Passing by regularly, offering cooked meats/fish.. bought a nice fresh crunchy Baguette, pork, won ton, some salads and a spicey dark sauce… We shared it.. And I guess it spiked me some, but no way to tell.. ( Decided I would test at AM and end of day… AND if I was back in room 2 hrs after meal.)

So this was a NO.. So can't say it it raised my bgs….but it was blooming delicious..

IMG_20191228_130225~01.jpg

IMG_20191228_130241~01.jpg

A glorious day, then back on the scooter, and off to watch a sunset at our local bar..

Not a 'toucher' as they all want, but with the fishermen in foreground and the light, I think its one of my favs…

IMG_20191228_172729~01.jpg

Dressed and off out to the night market .a huge affairs in town, with Street upon Street of food and goods just beside the river..
Will post up later.

Fbg this am 6.8..high for me but now hopefully going to start trending downwards.

Breakfast done, of to North of Island, long Ish journey down dirt track road to find starfish beach... Named as that's were a colony of star fish live.. So should be a nice photo opportunity if nothing else.

Internet intermittent, But have tried to keep current on thread.
So stay safe all.
if you love someone
Tell them...

Reactions: karen8967

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you're right. I remember at my school, when the teacher would hand out test papers, she would always lay them face down on our desks and then go back to her desk and tell us to turn them over and begin the test. And all together, we would turn our papers over, hold them up to our noses, take a deep whiff of the lovely smell of the ink, and THEN begin the test. We never had any idea about inhaling any sort of spirits, or fumes. We just loved the smell. :)

There was another kind of duplicating machine that also had a roller, and the original was typed onto a long blue waxy stencil sheet. But those copies came out dry, the ink was boring everyday black, and there was no particular smell to breathe.

So you were all slightly high (!) when you began the test!!!
I remember breathing in that smell too. I liked it, that is probably why I was quite happy to crank that machine....

Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday.

Some concerns re fbg, so must try to temper good input tomorrow.. Quite hungry this morning, so ate well of the buffet..egg pancake and then an egg ommolette….. Some chicken and a little more rice then I anticipated.

In town the traffic busy as usual, but once we hit the highway, traffic trails of dramatically.

Reminded me of a pic of a North Korean highway, all beautifully manicured and picturesque even, but only one solitary horse and cart on it.

But it does feel nice if a little weird to have so little traffic after the hullabaloo of town.

Beach we hit in 40 mins, with one stop to check where we were, and before I got phone out, local gent, asked if we wanted the beach, and gave directions… Lovely people once again.

Beach lovely.. Busy at entrance way, but thinned out as we walked further away from it.

Found two great sunbeds, and two drinks for three princely sum of £6 all in..bargain.
View attachment 37466

View attachment 37467

And we both had a swim, water nice.. Quite a shallow beach, so a good way out before you could actually swim tho.

Passing by regularly, offering cooked meats/fish.. bought a nice fresh crunchy Baguette, pork, won ton, some salads and a spicey dark sauce… We shared it.. And I guess it spiked me some, but no way to tell.. ( Decided I would test at AM and end of day… AND if I was back in room 2 hrs after meal.)

So this was a NO.. So can't say it it raised my bgs….but it was blooming delicious..

View attachment 37468

View attachment 37469

A glorious day, then back on the scooter, and off to watch a sunset at our local bar..

Not a 'toucher' as they all want, but with the fishermen in foreground and the light, I think its one of my favs…

View attachment 37470

Dressed and off out to the night market .a huge affairs in town, with Street upon Street of food and goods just beside the river..
Will post up later.

Fbg this am 6.8..high for me but now hopefully going to start trending downwards.

Breakfast done, of to North of Island, long Ish journey down dirt track road to find starfish beach... Named as that's were a colony of star fish live.. So should be a nice photo opportunity if nothing else.

So stay safe all.
if you love someone
Tell them...

Absolutely amazing @jjraak
Keep us posted and the photos.
We are awaiting the next post with bated breath!!!!

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning with a 5.3 today.

Tempted to go a Muddy Bike Ride but I think I may wait until Monday as weather looks better, we shall see.

@jjraak you certainly are making the most of your days away, love the sunset, I'm sure you will sort those higher readings. Please also accept an Agree Rating for your tell someone if you love them comment. To love is such a wonderful gift we all have, to share it and declare it can be so difficult for many. Since a lesson learnt as a teenager I made a conscious decision to always tell friends and family at every opportunity and I am so glad I have.

@SaskiaKC yes those smells are very well entrenched in my memory. My favourite smell though is the pure turps used when I do my oils painting it is also even more evocative of the art classes, especially portrait and life painting as they were always in enclosed studios. Did you ever play what we now know was a dangerous game of flicking Mercury around the chemistry lab, splitting it into many silver balls?

Peace and love go with you all. There goes the hippy coming out of me. :joyful:

trick60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday.

View attachment 37466

View attachment 37467

View attachment 37468

View attachment 37469

View attachment 37470

Will post up later.

So stay safe all.
if you love someone
Tell them...

Loving your holiday posts JJ, giving me itchy feet.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg a spectacular 7.2 or Err 4 or any number you want. December is turning out to be a proper turn back or press on month in my LC life. Spent most of yesterday in bed watching sport but still kept LC. I am trying lacto free milk - can't see that making such a big difference. All those memories of banda machines and the fluid taking me back to my first teaching post in late 70s. @jjraak great photos and travelogue but I have to say the Pet Shop boys version with Joss Ackland is the best version of that song - Ackland delivers some zingers in that. Despite everything if I have stuck to LC this month I am clearly so heavily invested in this approach I'm not backing out. Pulling out of some threads on here and Dr google/youtube etc diabetes related "noise". @SaskiaKC Galatians 3.23-29 struck a chord relating to me and LC - too many "rules", macros, LC gurus not helpful. Those who do best, and my best times with LC, are instinctive/intuitive - put profanely JFDI. Have a great day. More sport and first turkey dinner (first hot food since Wednesday) with Julie and our house guest 89.99 yo MIL for me. MIL doesn't know about 90th party or why we set up the facebook portal so some very important Welsh family members can join in.

Last edited:

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.3 today

Unexpected trip to Mum's yesterday to get rid of the mouse, yes mouse :sorry:

A couple of days ago mum told mr gee she thought that a field mouse had got into the house into the cupboard under the sink because she found the last washing up sponge in the packet had been chewed :***:

He put out the traps we've had since the same thing happened to us a few years ago. So yesterday afternoon he was speaking with mum on the phone and asked her if the traps had been disturbed, pause for trap checking, followed by, 'Well only one of them' :hilarious:

The traps are the humane type, like a clear plastic tube with a spring trapdoor that catches the mouse if it goes to the bait and it turns out the mouse liked peanut butter :D so cue our unexpected trip to release the mouse at the farm down the road. Hope it enjoys it new home.

Hope your day treats you well :)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
29-12-19
6.7 first thing
Ofc it is high after sugary "treats" last night. Wonder if the rest would freeze?
Lemon and ginger tea. Needed warm drink on this frosty morning, very pretty sunrise, pink clouds on a pale blue sky.
Have restarted, or attempted anyway my exercise programme. Am shocked at how far I have slipped back. Might take months to regain full mobility.
@jjraak superb sunset photo.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 this morning. Still in relaxation mode today. Am drinking coffee and reading Saturdays 'i'.

@gennepher and @SaskiaKC tweaked the pancake recipe slightly by adding some inulin. It added some sweetness which made it even more delicious.

I have a couple of tsp of inulin a day because of it helps me with faster transit and I love the slightly sweet taste it adds to food.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a couple of tsp of inulin a day because of it helps me with faster transit and I love the slightly sweet taste it adds to food.
Great fbg. Best phrase I have read since I have been on this forum. Can't say inulin ever tastes slightly sweet or has that effect on me but the packet we have does look sad and neglected in the packed cupboard of "things like what successful LCers use".