What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.9 this morning and I have a day off. The mosque, temple, and folk from the Sally Army have the day so I'm retreating until tomorrow. Some of the stories from the homeless are harrowing, but the good news was that one young man went home. Not from my patch but news travels. I'm off to my den, enjoy your day ;)

Reactions: karen8967

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher and @SaskiaKC tweaked the pancake recipe slightly by adding some inulin. It added some sweetness which made it even more delicious.

I have a couple of tsp of inulin a day because of it helps me with faster transit and I love the slightly sweet taste it adds to food.

Hi @Krystyna23040
and @SaskiaKC

I'd not heard of inulin before.
Just googled it. It seems to have health benefits too. Going to order a bit to try.

I tried a slice of cheese on the pancake/crumpet yesterday but that made it savoury and I didn't like that.

I very much like this egg&ground almond pancake/crumpet just for sweet stuff. It satisfies my need for something sweet.

You say the inulin helps you with 'faster transit' , what is that if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks in advance.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.7 at 08.30 maybe the late testing contributed but I did nothing wrong yesterday. Honest. Didnt drink alcohol, maybe thats it. Am getting fed up of high numbers now. I wonder if the booze over Christmas is nowcausing my liver to dump, dump, dump. Who knows, I dont.
@jjraak your photos gladden my soul. Do report when you can on the street market one of my favourite things when abroad. Sounds like a great trip.
Have a great Sunday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning folks and such a great set of photo’s to greet from @jjraak

The wonder wheel of a good lay in produced an unexpected 4.5 this am - so, one mince pie with cream after a carnivore heavy dinner was OK, on this occasion, at least.

Have a great day if you can, hope you are not over burdened with lots of leftover Christmas titbits.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Krystyna23040
and @SaskiaKC

I'd not heard of inulin before.
Just googled it. It seems to have health benefits too. Going to order a bit to try.

I tried a slice of cheese on the pancake/crumpet yesterday but that made it savoury and I didn't like that.

I very much like this egg&ground almond pancake/crumpet just for sweet stuff. It satisfies my need for something sweet.

You say the inulin helps you with 'faster transit' , what is that if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks in advance.
It helps me avoid constipation - which I found I was affected with when I started low carb. I used an euphemism in my last post because it probably wasn't the right subject to talk about at breakfast.

I agree with your comment that the pancake/crumpet is perfect as it satisfies my need for something sweet also.

Reactions: DJC3 and trick60

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It helps me avoid constipation - which I found I was affected with when I started low carb. I used an euphemism in my last post because it probably wasn't the right subject to talk about at breakfast.

I agree with your comment that the pancake/crumpet is perfect as it satisfies my need for something sweet also.

Now @Krystyna23040 I can understand @ianpspurs comment...'Best phrase I have read since I have been on this forum'...

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great fbg. Best phrase I have read since I have been on this forum. Can't say inulin ever tastes slightly sweet or has that effect on me but the packet we have does look sad and neglected in the packed cupboard of "things like what successful LCers use".
I didn't want to put anyone off their breakfast by being too graphic this morning.

I only like two Inulins. Greens organic Inulin or Bioglan inulin. Both are quite sweet - which is probably why I like them so much.

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't want to put anyone off their breakfast by being too graphic this morning.

I only like two Inulins. Greens organic Inulin or Bioglan inulin. Both are quite sweet - which is probably why I like them so much.
Inulin envy now added to my lexicon of LC curses. Are either of those sweeter than the other? Are these they ?https://www.greensorganic.co.uk/Organic-Inulin-250g and https://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en...8mV5ZtSTyOTTjlYKToq5rq5gWk4O7hqxoCq40QAvD_BwE
Gambled on the Bioglan - blaming you for adding to the cupboard of, "well that didn't work:arghh:"

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Inulin envy now added to my lexicon of LC curses. Are either of those sweeter than the other?
For me they are about the same. Bioglan is stocked at Holland and Barrett ,- I get the Greens from Amazon.

I did read somewhere that the chef Tom Kerridge recommended inulin as a low carb sugar replacement because it is mildly sweet. I must admit that the longer I do low carb the sweeter it tastes. But now as 70% chocolate tastes really sweet and 100% is lovely - my taste buds are truly messed up and you cannot rely on my definition of sweet.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me they are about the same. Bioglan is stocked at Holland and Barrett ,- I get the Greens from Amazon.

I did read somewhere that the chef Tom Kerridge recommended inulin as a low carb sugar replacement because it is mildly sweet. I must admit that the longer I do low carb the sweeter it tastes. But now as 70% chocolate tastes really sweet and 100% is lovely - my taste buds are truly messed up and you cannot rely on my definition of sweet.
Thanks. I will never adjust to the dark chocolate or lose desire for some kind of sweet taste but faster and easier transit is a must. Kerridge put us on to inulin as an LC sweetener that caramelises - we have made toffee using it and topping for crème brûlée. Big take up for it followed an Angela Rippon programme about healthy ageing.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I will never adjust to the dark chocolate or lose desire for some kind of sweet taste but faster and easier transit is a must. Kerridge put us on to inulin as an LC sweetener that caramelises - we have made toffee using it and topping for crème brûlée. Big take up for it followed an Angela Rippon programme about healthy ageing.
The Angela Rippon programme was where I first heard of Inulin. I do have about 25g a day - which seems to work well. Hopefully it will for you.

I didn't realise that you could caramelise it - thanks for the tip.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.1 this morning. I am giving credit to the acetaminophen I took at bedtime, as I took it the night before too, and woke up yesterday to a 7.1.

I am glad to learn about inulin and all its effects. I had never heard of it before, and in @Krystyna23040 's first post about it I thought it was a typo for "insulin." My apologies, Krystyna! I will try to find some inulin.
I also have a hard time finding 100% or even 90% dark chocolate, as very few brands here indicate their cocoa solids. I have tried "unsweetened" baking chocolate in the past -- by mistake -- it was a bitter surprise! I am glad to learn that it can be an acquired taste.

On this, the 5th Day of Christmas, I bring you 5 Goldens in a (sort of) ring.

Dec_24_2017_Christmas_Jengar-600x399.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Morning with a 5.3 today.

Tempted to go a Muddy Bike Ride but I think I may wait until Monday as weather looks better, we shall see.

[USER=487111]@SaskiaKC
yes those smells are very well entrenched in my memory. My favourite smell though is the pure turps used when I do my oils painting it is also even more evocative of the art classes, especially portrait and life painting as they were always in enclosed studios. Did you ever play what we now know was a dangerous game of flicking Mercury around the chemistry lab, splitting it into many silver balls?

Peace and love go with you all. There goes the hippy coming out of me. :joyful:[/USER]

Thanks for the memory. :) Yes, playing with Mercury was fun! As was reading stories about him in library books -- I loved his winged helmet and shoes. (Oddly enough, the planet I've always most wanted to visit is Saturn.) My current oral thermometer is a boring digital one that just beeps at me. I would much rather it was a "real" one with mercury but I don't suppose I could buy one these days. Quicksilver was cool (no pun intended).

My father always kept a can of turpentine in the basement for cleaning paintbrushes (house paint), and getting ticks off of our dog. I loved the smell of it. I also love the smell of diesel exhaust on a cold wet day (as long as it is just the odd car or truck and not a whole traffic jam of buses)

peace_love_and_muddy_paws_tie_dye_paw_magnet.jpg

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great video for info

Just wanted to say thank you for posting this excellent video. It showed the evidence for low carb and saturated fat in a very clear and understandable way and also the evidence against high carb and low fat and especially the harm that unsaturated fat can do to us.

It reminded me of the importance of continuing with low carb but also I was pleased to learn new information from the video.

I was especially interested in the section about the role of fatty liver in the development of diabetes. I was diagnosed with severe fatty liver 20+ years ago. If only I had seen this video then.

Although - how lucky I am to be on this forum now and having access to information that has allowed me to bring diabetes into remission and also to bring my liver back to full health (according to my test results). I am only sad for the people who don't have access to this information - I am sure there are many many more people who would benefit the joining this forum.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Angela Rippon programme was where I first heard of Inulin. I do have about 25g a day - which seems to work well. Hopefully it will for you.

I didn't realise that you could caramelise it - thanks for the tip.
That sounds quite a bit of inulin - 5 tsps? Do you just "hide it" in tea/coffee? Was there an initial blazing saddles effect?

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds quite a bit of inulin - 5 tsps? Do you just "hide it" in tea/coffee? Was there an initial blazing saddles effect?
I didn't realise it was that many tsps. I weigh it and mix it into my kefir and flaxseeds if I have that for breakfast. I only added 20g to my pancake though because I thought it would make it too thick. I sometimes mix it into my Greek yogurt.

I did start slowly - just 5g a day in the beginning because it did make my digestive system very windy to start with. That did wear off in time

My husband thought my pancake looked really good this morning and he has asked if I would make him one for breakfast tomorrow - but topped with lemon juice and sugar. He stopped making pancakes, which we both loved, because he felt it wasn't fair to make them just for him.

I won't add the inulin though because he doesn't have transit problems. I just have to make sure that I don't give him the wrong one.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
7.1 this morning. I am giving credit to the acetaminophen I took at bedtime, as I took it the night before too, and woke up yesterday to a 7.1.

I am glad to learn about inulin and all its effects. I had never heard of it before, and in @Krystyna23040 's first post about it I thought it was a typo for "insulin." My apologies, Krystyna! I will try to find some inulin.
I also have a hard time finding 100% or even 90% dark chocolate, as very few brands here indicate their cocoa solids. I have tried "unsweetened" baking chocolate in the past -- by mistake -- it was a bitter surprise! I am glad to learn that it can be an acquired taste.

On this, the 5th Day of Christmas, I bring you 5 Goldens in a (sort of) ring.

Dec_24_2017_Christmas_Jengar-600x399.jpg
I love the 5 goldens. My tablet auto correct also thinks inulin is a typo and keeps trying to correct it to insulin.

I definitely think that the 90% and 100% is an acquired taste and it has taken me over 3yrs to gradually acquire the taste for it.