1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by OldButBold, Apr 24, 2019.

1. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Finally a chance to sit and read through today’s posts before I get left behind again. Dinner has been made and eaten to the soundtrack of R2’s Sounds of the 70s with Johnny Walker, my favourite program of the week. Mr C gone out with Dennis, complete with new lead ( thanks for your comments @PenguinMum and @SaskiaKC ) MrC had more faith in him than I would have done - I’d have carried him back but I was very proud of both my boys when I heard what they’d done.
    Granddaughters are here but happily playing upstairs, they bought a homemade present for Dennis - a string of knotted odd socks - he loves it and played tug and fetch for ages. Brilliant use of odd socks.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  2. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have never ever seen anything like this weather I am seeing this afternoon.

Storm Dennis is now gathering full force of fury, and I thought last night was bad enough with flying fences...

Suddenly half an hour ago the sky turned black with rolling clouds. A white/yellow lightning strike across the sky. Then everything exploded literally with noise almost instantly like the heavens were about to fall in. And a massive hailstorm. Then the wind got up like the fury of hell flattening all my bushes and then twisting them this way and that. I have never seen a wind as hell bent as this. Then the rain. I couldn't even see out of my windows for the vicious slicing driving rain.

More overhead lightning and horrendous thunder. I normally love thunder and lightning and will go outside to watch it, but this was another whole dangerous level. I was holding my breath.
    This has gone on for nearly three quarters of an hour at this intensity. The lighting and thunder has gone further away now, and the wind is easing off and it is just raining now.

My guess is some pubs and shops down the hill on the main road will be flooded by now.
    I live high up on top of the hill, so I won't get that kind of flooding (I just get a few inches round my bungalow almost up to my bedroom door sill, and then it runs down the hill), but I do get the very high winds.

I can still hear or feel thunder...

I was typing this as it was happening, but then my mobile phone connection went dead (I had already lost my wi fi connection this morning, it wasn't working today). And I presume I lost my post on the thread with my mobile connection out.

I will post this when I can. It happened between quarter to 5 pm and just after 5:30 pm.

I hope none of you were out in this or driving in this. I hope you are all safe.

• Hug Hug x 11
  3. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you @DJC3
    for the painting compliment.

Oh, no, Storm Dennis is kicking off again in full fury.

I had just posted about the storm between before 5 pm and just after 5:30 pm.

It is all whipping up again, the wind and the rain in a fury. Will this never stop.

• Hug Hug x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  4. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

I'm with @jjraak on this. I wish you would publish a cookbook, @geefull . Your cooking always sounds so delicious! :)

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

This winter seems to be never ending doesn’t it? I hope you are ok tonight.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@gennepher sending big hugs for the prolonged storm issues and all the upset. Hope you and Popeye have a calm night tonight and get some sleep.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. HarryBeau

HarryBeau Type 2 · Well-Known Member

OMG gennepher it sounds terrifying...just hearing the news now almost 10:30pm the weather report says it's moving away I hope it is...god help the next place in it's path...waiting to hear if you & Popeye are okay & your home undamaged

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

does sound horrendous from what you say and the news items on TV

was just looking at bbc forecast for here..moderate breezes...My Buttocks it is.

wind howling down the street when it gusts (40+ mph says my app, not sure that is moderate or the wind speeds even right.. feels like a good bit closer to last nights, if i'm honest )

Take care.

Hope all is well for tonight and tomorrow brings a brighter day..:)

• Friendly Friendly x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    #18768 jjraak, Feb 16, 2020 at 10:22 PM
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  9. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Debandez

I've got lots of odd socks for Dennis! We have a sock monster living in our house. Never seen him but he steals one sock from a pair regularly! He must have a right stash!

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Debandez

And also delivers great blood sugar readings. Win win.

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  12. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

WHOA.....:woot:

outstanding flying skills.

when it started going sideways i thought ..it's going around again, like the cameraman said, IF it can..but to then LAND it...BRAVO, balls/ or breast of steel
    (what ..women don't fly planes..?.)

Some planes (Dream liners i think ) have the screen showing the outside view, may not be ON during landings, can't remember if ours were,..., BUT IF that had em, i bet a few needed the loo afterwards..:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    #18772 jjraak, Feb 16, 2020 at 11:58 PM
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  13. Debandez

3 days away, batteries recharged. Love the Lake District. And the walking. Oh yes, the eating and drinking too! Our Airbnb host was most interesting. And we met a lovely couple in our favourite bar so a great time was had:

https://thecraftybaa.business.site/

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Debandez

Thank you. Loved it. Off again to the lakes week after next. One night with daughter in her holiday mobile home. 2 nights in a hotel using up a voucher from Eric's boss from when he retired. Feel a fraud using it to be honest as Eric back part time. This wasnt of his doing that said. They couldnt cope without him. So just going to try and enjoy it. He has given them 42 years of loyal service. With only 6 days off sick! Guinness book of records material me thinks! He used to drag himself in if he was poorly.. ....and give the lurgy to everyone else!

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  15. Debandez

I worked around the carbs nicely. Back to omelettes now Haha

• Like Like x 9
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  16. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

We have one of those monsters too, I’d never thought of knotting them all together in a rope though. Tbh most of ours are black and boring, the girls ones are all different colours and it looks great, I’m sure they could sell them. I’m just hoping their mum knows what they’ve done and they really are odd socks - not just random ones they’ve pinched out of the washing basket.

• Funny Funny x 11
  17. trick60

trick60 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Good morning/evening folks, 6.1 on the dice today, our quite newish side gate lies in splinters thanks to Dennis, but the old shed at the bottom of the garden lives on.
    Have a lovely week all.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Hug Hug x 3
  18. Barb McD

Barb McD · Well-Known Member

3.6 @ 5.30

Despite a deliberate choc & caramel toasted, buttered hot cross bun and a cup of tea, and a mini Lidl fake mars bar @ midnight.

My gastro guy should surely have some reason to explain this when I see him on Thursday. The fatigue, pain, nausea etc. Fingers awkwardly crossed, as he won’t release results to GP.

Anyway, have a fantastic week. May the wind always blow on your back & the roads rise up to greet you.

I do quite like Mondays

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Hug Hug x 4
  19. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

5.5 for me have a good day everyone

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 5
  20. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Hug for the pain, nausea and fatigue @Barb McD. Hug for the destruction of the newish gate but praise be for the ancient? shed. Dennis was an ill wind for many but the guy I want to build me a shed - recommended by local timber merchants and I inspected his work elsewhere - is far too busy fencing following Ciara so by now he may be booked until 2050. Can't move on the garage conversion until we have a shed for lawn mowers, chain saws, fence post rammers, soil augurs, spray knapsacks etc:banghead:
    That para made this less splenetic. All sorts of readings from 7 to 6.1 today. No carb related reason, no illness reason and no stress. Spurs won, set a goal and achieved it yesterday, youngest son and family dropped in. Watched part of Unwin vid @Debandez posted - did really make me feel a failure but hung on to only 50% achieve remission. - coin toss basically? I need to lurk here a while, back off the testing, posting numbers and airing my doubts. In another context this would be considered a full blown crisis of faith and not helpful. Oddly, drinking black tea with inulin and sweetener as even almond milk is consider to be breaking IF by the pearl clutchers. I assume inulin and sweetener would as well but baby steps. No hugs needed as I have 2 grandchildren coming today for all of those I will need.Have a great day.
    Edit: Nice start to the week @karen8967 . Bgs lately seem to be nicely stable - delighted for you. Must be the Ancelloti effect.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Hug Hug x 4
    #18780 ianpspurs, Feb 17, 2020 at 6:47 AM
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook